Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 39 posts
  • 19 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by bimm25i
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pinball (resized).jpg
    pinball (resized).jpg
    #1 7 years ago

I am insane, and considering making a pin. I was thinking it would be cool to have a flywheel spin the ball like crazy before kicking it out of a captive hole on the game and sending it to something like a rubber enclosed zone with rollover switches where it would take weird trajectories because of the spin momentum.

Anyone know of games that purposely add a decent amount of spin to the ball?

#2 7 years ago

Lost In Space and Twister both spin the heck out of the ball.

#3 7 years ago

The Tron disc does a good job of it too.

#5 7 years ago

Xmen LE, WW, NGG,

#6 7 years ago

Games with discs and/or magnets.

#7 7 years ago

i'd go with the spinning mechs like the flintstones or dr dude. sounds more like what you are trying to achieve with the targets.

#8 7 years ago

I want something that spins the ball up like a top, not a spinning disc on the playfield. Think beyblade...

#9 7 years ago

Orbiter 1 has motorized spinning targets

#11 7 years ago

United Midget Alley does something like what you're talking about: http://www.pinrepair.com/bowl/midget.htm

Obviously uses a much larger ball. I'd be worried about the damage that could be caused by such a kickout... unless you design a new turret style game like Buffalo Bill or etc.

#12 7 years ago

Ghostbusters magna slings are awesome further in the game for spin

#14 7 years ago

What about a physical lock that gathered the balls in a straight array. Then as the balls are released from this area, they pass through two soft upright posts that are spinning in opposite directions to spin the ball out as they are released? They would have to be soft so that you could get them close together enough to "pinch" the ball for a better term.

#15 7 years ago

Yeah like the flywheels on automatic nerf guns or the old ninja turtles pizza shooter

#16 7 years ago

AGBGoaWT, CD Spinner, especially when trying to score a lock balls or score a jackpot.
    It also includes side contact "note" targets within the "strike zone".

There are many other games.

#17 7 years ago

No, I don't want the floor to spin I want the ball to spin!

pinball (resized).jpgpinball (resized).jpg

pinball (resized).jpgpinball (resized).jpg

#18 7 years ago
    Quoted from bimm25i:

No, I don't want the floor to spin I want the ball to spin!

I think all you're going to get is Orbiter and maybe Flintstones (not sure how exactly their mech works)

#19 7 years ago

Ball comes through gate, lands against rubber flywheel and an up-post that can spin freely to minimize/eliminate rattling or friction. Flywheel spins the ball, up-post drops, whirling ball descends into mini-playfield to wreak havoc.

#20 7 years ago

Take a look at that Midget Alley I linked earlier... it's exactly what you describe/illustrate, just with a larger ball. There are a couple of Bally bowler games that use a similar mech, too.

#21 7 years ago

Thanks midget alley is definitely the right idea! I wish there was some mechanism already out there that was pinball sized though

#22 7 years ago

I am sure people realize the reason designers do not normally use this aspect of fly or friction wheels on pinball machines, correct?
    This type of ball breaks playfield components, as the ball ejected is hard to reliably control for planning purposes.
    Rubber is simply not strong enough to absorb hits, and Orbitor 1 was a special case with a special design.
    The ball can be wild, but not so far out of concept that it is completely uncontrollable.

BTW, if you ever look at a pinball closely while in play (particularly a ball that has a design etched onto it), the ball actually is spinning motion constantly.
    It directly spins on its own vertical axis.
    This is more prevalent and easier to see when a game's playfield is highly waxed.
    Do a slow motion video catch, and you can see in action.

#23 7 years ago
    Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

This type of ball breaks playfield components, as the ball ejected is hard to reliably control for planning purposes.

Yep, that's what I mentioned above, too.

OP's drawing with a pop will not work because the ball will come out with enough force to either quickly break the pop skirt, the nipple underneath, or otherwise smash the body/cap.

The other might_ work, but you would need to ensure that there was enough clearance to allow the ball to slow down, or send it through a rubber-lined tunnel to force it to slow down. Using as a turret shooter is the most reliable way to do this, similar to the Midget Alley. But then you run into other design challenges like the turret shooter pinballs. You have to have a mostly empty playfield to accommodate the balls' path.

I think that a new turret game would be cool, especially one that accelerated the ball like that, but having a small area for the ball to fly will not work out well.

#24 7 years ago

What about the Mix Master in Dr Dude.

#25 7 years ago
    Quoted from Evilive69:

Lost In Space and Twister both spin the heck out of the ball.

I was so amazed the first time I saw the LIS magnet action. I know that game doesn't get a lot of love amongst the hardcore, but I think it's really cool!

Quoted from zacaj:

Orbiter 1 has motorized spinning targets

I know how unique the game is and all, and that's cool... but man, Orbiter 1 is the worst pinball game ever. Every time I play it I end up walking away from it mid-ball, completely bored.

#26 7 years ago
    Quoted from GLSP3022:

What about the Mix Master in Dr Dude.

Isn't that just a spinning disc on the playfield?

#27 7 years ago
    Quoted from Cornelius:

Orbiter 1 is the worst pinball game ever.

Well, it sure held my interest a LOT longer than Lost in Space did.

Alright, on topic: the football in WCS can add a lot of spin to the pinball.

#28 7 years ago
    Quoted from Jappie:

Well, it sure held my interest a LOT longer than Lost in Space did.

Awww, come on! A game with nearly constant multiball action vs. a game where the ball durdles around the playfield, flying UNDER the flippers but not draining, and just not making much sense at all?

I respectfully disagree, kind sir.

#29 7 years ago
    Quoted from Cornelius:

Awww, come on! A game with nearly constant multiball action vs. a game where the ball durdles around the playfield, flying UNDER the flippers but not draining, and just not making much sense at all?

Nothing quite like flipping with the backs of your flippers

#30 7 years ago
    Quoted from Cornelius:

but man, Orbiter 1 is the worst pinball game ever.

Well Cornelius, you are certainly entitled to your opinion. Orbitor 1 is not the Worst pinball game ever.

I will admit it was not popular in the arcades, it would get played a lot less than the other pins, but give Stern some credit for coming up with a playfield which is not flat.

'SHOOT PINBALL, SHOOT PINBALL" is the most annoying thing regarding the game, but it did talk.

#31 7 years ago
    Quoted from Cornelius:

nearly constant multiball action

yawn... Not as bad as Blackwater 100, but close.

Quoted from Cornelius:

I agree to disagree.

Quoted from zacaj:

Nothing quite like flipping with the backs of your flippers

this

#32 7 years ago
    Quoted from Darcy:

Well Cornelius, you are certainly entitled to your opinion. Orbitor 1 is not the Worst pinball game ever.
    I will admit it was not popular in the arcades, it would get played a lot less than the other pins, but give Stern some credit for coming up with a playfield which is not flat.
    'SHOOT PINBALL, SHOOT PINBALL" is the most annoying thing regarding the game, but it did talk.

Oh for sure, I give them credit, but...

Quoted from Jappie:

yawn... Not as bad as Blackwater 100, but close.

You sir are a heathen! How dare you.

#33 7 years ago
    Quoted from Cornelius:

You sir are a heathen!

Can't disagree with you on that!

I'm off to sleep. It's past heathens bedtime. Ciao!

#34 7 years ago
    Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

I am sure people realize the reason designers do not normally use this aspect of fly or friction wheels on pinball machines, correct?
    Rubber is simply not strong enough to absorb hits, and Orbitor 1 was a special case with a special design.
    The ball can be wild, but not so far out of concept that it is completely uncontrollable.
    BTW, if you ever look at a pinball closely while in play (particularly a ball that has a design etched onto it), the ball actually is spinning motion constantly.
    It directly spins on its own vertical axis.
    This is more prevalent and easier to see when a game's playfield is highly waxed.
    Do a slow motion video catch, and you can see in action.

Even if the ball is spinning on a horizontal axis like a top? I don't want to add speed to the ball with the spin I want to add sideways rotation

#35 7 years ago

Bally Rocket III with it's spinning bumper.

#36 7 years ago
    Quoted from bimm25i:

Even if the ball is spinning on a horizontal axis like a top? I don't want to add speed to the ball with the spin I want to add sideways rotation

This is still tricky for a designer to control.
    This might be a little more complicated to understand, but it will make sense.

The ball has a tendency to increase horizontal speed due to the fact you are a sloped playfield, even if this is not intended.
    If you consider an equation of applied force in physics, any side spinning rotation is still translated as forward momentum because you are not on a flat surface or more simply meaning a percentage of the force is based on the applied angle of the playfield.
    A child's toy top does the the same thing on a slope, it simply cannot stay in place, as earth's gravity is also additional applied as a force from acceleration (F=ma), in addition to translated downward force from the handle which translates downward force into rotational speed.

If a playfield (or mini playfield) is completely flat, this is theoretical possible to minimize the effects, but would require the playfield to be level with the floor and the surface being of extremely low friction, along with force only being applied from a spinning "buffer" wheel from the top of the pinball, not the sides. But, of course, you need some friction on a pinball playfield as well, or the ball cannot move while spinning, once the speed is reduced to zero, if the ball is away from the flippers. This is another reason why pinball playfields are sloped, to return speed to the ball, if the not being controlled by the flippers at any given time.

This is the concept of direction of the velocity vector which is alway tangential, coupled with acceleration based on the mass of the object, gravity, and surface friction.
    It would be interesting to see the assembly apparatus used in this context, on a mini playfield that was horizontal away from the main playfield surface to see in in action.

#37 7 years ago

Apparently Hot Shots has some spinners like this to accelerate the ball

#38 7 years ago
    Quoted from zacaj:

Apparently Hot Shots has some spinners like this to accelerate the ball

Lets see what Todd Tuckey has to say about this.

#39 7 years ago

The Acelerator, a feature that "sometimes doesn't work" (but why Todd?) Either way that's like the exact mechanism I'm looking for thanks man!!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/games-that-spin-the-ball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.