Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 63 posts
  • 56 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Pinbub
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

There are 63 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 2 years ago

So - I just finished a bit of a (pretty crappy) session playing:

Avengers IQ
    Iron Maiden
    Deadpool
    X-Men
    Ghostbusters

I had bad, bad games on every single one - just really bad luck - but most I can walk away from and still feel good. Deadpool for example, I can play all night and even it it kicks my ass over and over again I walk away happy. Same with Iron Maiden I never get mad at it.

But damn... Ghostbusters... I love it so much its actually probably still my favourite machine, but holy sh*t theres something about it- I think more than half of the time I play it, I walk away from it so angry!

I dont know what it is about some games, maybe the way they keep you so on edge the whole time while playing. You are constantly on the fringe of an epic game before the machine then decides - NOPE, all multiballs drain together, slings fire straight down the outlines or you get some totally unfair straight down the middle sh*t.

As much as I love Ghostbusters, every ball is precarious - I always feel I'm on the brink of losing it. When I do manage to build up some semblance of consistency - all of a sudden there's a quick drain followed by a series of (loud) expletives.

What games get you riled up? What is it about some games that make them so frustrating? I mentioned that GB is actually one of my favourites i think its absolutely awesome, but it really does repeatedly kick me in the nuts! Anyone else have a love/hate pin?

#2 2 years ago

Ghostbusters pisses me off like no other game I've ever experienced. Its anger and heartbreak combined because I love Ghostbusters as a theme so much, and the game looks so cool, but it is awful. I'd really like to play one that has mods in it to help prevent BS drains

#3 2 years ago

Sounds fun

#4 2 years ago

Probably my Fish Tales. Some days it seems like it just wants to be an unforgiving drain monster. Especially during multiball, or when you try to whack that center captiveball and it sends it back dead center. I just can't nudge it enough with the widely spaced flippers for a save without tilting at that point.

#5 2 years ago

Well... i'm not the best player and lots of games come to mind. In general, I love and hate Steve Ritchie games. When I step up to a Ritchie game I generally know three things Ritchie does well:

1) Expect Flow
    2) Expect Speed (especially during combos).
    3) Expect shots to have major risk/reward (and the often WTF drains).

At the moment, that is what I am getting on #star-wars-stern-le .

#6 2 years ago

games that don't work

#7 2 years ago

Jjp pirates cuz I cant afford one...

#8 2 years ago

Yeah my Fish Tales really pisses me off, i opened up the outlanes all the way and set all the timers to the shortest times, that combined with lightning flippers makes for some really tough games. But thats what keeps it fresh.

#9 2 years ago

High Hand

#10 2 years ago

The only game I owned that was unreasonably rage inducing was PinBot. So many bullshit no-flip / no-save WTF drains, sometimes right off a plunge. I'd go from ruling the universe on one session to hardly touching the ball the next - no rhyme, no reason, no predictability... just raw unfiltered whimsical mechanized spite. I got so angry once following a particularly frenetic session and failed nudge attempt that I shoved the game so hard it slid into the electric outlet plug and cracked the outlet cover. I loved the game otherwise and went through no small amount of effort restoring it and finding the right topper even after that incident... but I ultimately sold it. Because whenever it crossed the bullshit line, it did so with prejudice.

But it's funny - I'm fairly low-key, and no stranger to games playing the bullshit card, and rarely get that angry... and yet as the OP says, there are some games full o' shit I just can't get mad at. My Torpedo Alley routinely slings dung and yet I'm always grinning: it has just enough lightheartedness to keep emotions in check.

This Black Hole I just fixed tho - man, THAT game slings some effed up BS! I'm talking everything from balls tricking down a top inlane and grazing a pop toward rocketing STDM... to balls jumping over the flippers and even over the gate from a rebound all the way across the playfield... stuff so unbelievably BS you feel like you witnessed a haunting and can't actually get mad! I mean, if a game's gonna cheat, I appreciate being literally dumbfounded in the process

#12 2 years ago

Flash Gordon. Ming is merciless

#13 2 years ago

For me, my most aggravating game is definitely Stern Star Wars Premium. Plunge with immediate center drain, ball-save, immediate center drain combos are super common for me. I guess one thing it has forced me to do is get a whole lot better at slap saves. But, I still get burned enough in that game that it is the least favorite in my collection. None of my kids even want to play it.

#14 2 years ago

Iron Man although I can't stop playing it.

#15 2 years ago
    Quoted from goingincirclez:

"...raw unfiltered whimsical mechanized spite."

You win Quote Of The Day for that delightful turn of phrase. Take your Upvote with pride.

Later,
    EV

#16 2 years ago

Willy Wonka.

Although I've only played it on location, I've played it quite a bit. In the middle of my best games I've gotten multiple pop drains.

Nothing better than stacking everything up only to know it could happen then watching it helplessly drain. <<<sarcasm..

I'm glad it isn't mine because I would have broken the front legs off of it at least 5 times by now.

#17 2 years ago

Sorcerer punishes me without mercy.

#18 2 years ago

BSD kicks my ass regularly.

#19 2 years ago

Paragon. Not because it's a bad game....but because I'm really bad at it.

#20 2 years ago
    Quoted from Ceemunkey:

But damn... Ghostbusters... I love it so much its actually probably still my favourite machine, but holy sh*t theres something about it- I think more than half of the time I play it, I walk away from it so angry!

Goatf***ers is the definition of anti-fun. Weird that you know this yet love it and consider it a favorite? Bizarre. The game’s terrible design is the “something about it”. Made me so angry I cancelled my order & will only refer to it as Goatf***ers....I would never touch that game again. Too much joy in pretty much every other pinball machine to waste time with that trash.

#21 2 years ago

TWD. I had to get rid of it because I was either going to break it or have a heart attack.

#22 2 years ago

all of them!
    anger issues!

#23 2 years ago

Stars aka "you suck at pinball".

#24 2 years ago

People might not agree with me, but for some reason I actually hate star wars(stern). I don’t know if the one on location that I play at is just a tough setup, but I will get the absolute dumbest, most unavoidable drains. Ill step up and sometimes lose 3 straight from the plunge. Then Ball saver eventually runs out and i get one good flip that send the ball flying in the outlanes or comes back STDM. Needless to say, I always leave angry and never have considered it fun. Sucks cause im the biggest Star Wars fan I know, yet hate the pin.

#25 2 years ago

Another agree with TWD, those stupid drop targets to start a mode drove me nuts. Stupid targets.

#26 2 years ago
    Quoted from Ceemunkey:

So - I just finished a bit of a (pretty crappy) session playing:

As much as I love Ghostbusters, every ball is precarious - I always feel I'm on the brink of losing it. When I do manage to build up some semblance of consistency - all of a sudden there's a quick drain followed by a series of (loud) expletives.

Ghostbusters is honestly, one of Sterns best. Yeah it's hard as shit, but when it opens up, it's a hurricane of fun. Shit going on everywhere.

Most players who don't like it are not very good I have found, or they need the 45 min ball time to get their rocks off, and that's cool. Not everyone should like the same game.

TWD and BSD are the same thing.

#27 2 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

Goatf***ers is the definition of anti-fun. Weird that you know this yet love it and consider it a favorite? Bizarre. The game’s terrible design is the “something about it”. Made me so angry I cancelled my order & will only refer to it as Goatf***ers....I would never touch that game again. Too much joy in pretty much every other pinball machine to waste time with that trash.

Tell us how you really feel, oh wait you already have 10,000 times and wait to do at every opportunity.

Topic is about games you play, not games I don't play and still hate with a passion!

#28 2 years ago

Taxi.
    Collect 4 passengers.. drain... Start all over.

And for god's sake pinbot was a badass. Now he's stranded on a corner somewhere.

#29 2 years ago

TMNT - we call it turtle face...the angry confused sad look we get sometimes

#31 2 years ago
    Quoted from Ceemunkey:

I love it so much its actually probably still my favourite machine, but holy sh*t theres something about it- I think more than half of the time I play it, I walk away from it so angry

Maybe yours is haunted?

-Rob
    -visit https://www.kahr.us to get my daughterboard that helps fix WPC pinball resets or my Pinball 2000 H+V Video Sync Combiner kit

#32 2 years ago

Anyone who doesn’t list Ghostbusters either hasn’t put in enough time on it, or just has a better ability to suppress rage than I do. For the record NO OTHER pin makes me upset. I literally love ALL the rest.

#33 2 years ago

Indy 500
    Iron Man
    Stern TMNT
    TWD
    AC/DC
    Fish Tales (game is so cool but so awful at the same time)

#34 2 years ago
    Quoted from suave84:

Iron Man although I can't stop playing it.

THIS!

Iron Man leaves me overjoyed, or swearing and giving it the finger. It's like no other game. In only a few minutes, you will have emotions... you just won't be sure which ones.

#35 2 years ago

TMNT (Stern) and GB.

The ball often has a heavy spin in Turtles presumably thanks to the spinning disc, so some of the typical caroms that happen in other pins happen differently in here. The worst section is the top of the left sling. Ball will come out of the left orbit fast or slow, it doesn't matter, and hit the top post on that sling. Instead of bouncing up/out at a slight angle like you'd expect, it rockets 90 degrees over to the outlane almost every time. I find it very difficult to defend against since it's counterintuitive to want to nudge a ball that is already in a safe area, but that's the only way to deal with this, nudge when it's about to hit that post to try and dampen the spin and keep the ball in the playfield. It's annoying as hell since it's an issue you're gonna have to deal with multiple times per game. Or maybe my level is off by a bit which is amplifying the ball spin, who knows. I'd try to fine tune the lane guide on the orbit if the game was mine, but it's a rental.

GB's frustrations have been gone over many times before. The flipper gap isn't great, but it's not a deal breaker. The magna slings though, woof. While it's cool to watch your ball get frozen in "mid-air" and then thrown in an unforeseen direction, it's not a lot of fun when that unforeseen direction is straight down the middle. Which happens a lot. There's pinball randomness and then there's just being obnoxious.

#36 2 years ago

The only game I owned that was unreasonably rage inducing was PinBot. So many bullshit no-flip / no-save WTF drains, sometimes right off a plunge.

I agree with this - frustrating, just happened last night - 5 second ball straight to the outlane.

#37 2 years ago
    Quoted from Methos:

Most players who don't like it are not very good I have found

Ohp, here done the play-shamers, ignoring airballs and lane hops & blaming players.

I’m a great player. Skill is irrelevant when the ball flies over flippers or from inlanes to outlanes.

Quoted from Methos:

TWD and BSD are the same thing.

No they’re not. Those are well designed games that play well. I love playing those games & am good at them. There goes the “GB critique = bad player” theory. I also love IM & TNA.

#38 2 years ago
    Quoted from Boondocker:

Tell us how you really feel, oh wait you already have 10,000 times and wait to do at every opportunity.

I haven’t posted about it in years. But cool...now go yell at the other people posting the same thing.

Quoted from Boondocker:

opic is about games you play, not games I don't play and still hate with a passion!

Read the title of this thread. I’m on topic.

#39 2 years ago

Flash Gordon. That game Hates Me yet I can't walk away from it!

#40 2 years ago

Rick and Morty.

I will probably never own one and I love playing it but it’s expensive when I do.

#41 2 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

In the same time, after playing these frustrating games for a while, i think they makes me a better player.

But i agree, GB is a drain monster and then very frustrating. Currently, i have the same feeling with my AIQ. I would have liked this one have a kickback!

#42 2 years ago

ACNC ticks my wife off. She loves the music, layout, etc and WANTS to love the game, but...the language that comes from her mouth when she plays!

For me...just a single letter change: ACDC. I don’t even want to talk about it. F Off.

GB was our first pin. It was a Christmas present for my wife. It’s cemented to the floor. Frustrating? Absolutely! Top five ‘funnest’ games ever? Also absolutely.

#43 2 years ago
    Quoted from colonel_caverne:

In the same time, after playing these frustrating games for a while, i think they makes me a better player.

Yeah, I love fun/frustrating games that force me to play better....GB isn't one of them, as the frustration is due to design flaw and not skill level. I LOVED playing the fast/brutal games of "Stern's dark days" like Iron Man, Tron, even Rolling Stones & Avatar. People shat on those games at the time...but they absolutely force you to up your skills to have a great game - and they succeeded. After having Iron Man for a while, other games started to all get waaaay easier.

#44 2 years ago

GB is the clear winner. Any game that uses magnets to seize the ball and drop it between the wide-gap flippers is only entertaining to spectators. Yeah, it's funny as hell.....but not when you're playing.

#45 2 years ago

LOTR for me... I both love and also very much hate that game!

Destroying the ring is very satisfying, but trying to collect the gifts of the elves to reach Valinor makes me so angry. I want to beat that game so bad but haven’t yet!

#46 2 years ago

The only game I owned that was unreasonably rage inducing was PinBot. So many bullshit no-flip / no-save WTF drains, sometimes right off a plunge.

Totally agree
    When I first got the machine I use to tell my kids
    “As soon as I reach the Sun Iam trading this pin”

#47 2 years ago
    Quoted from Matt1724:

LOTR for me... I both love and also very much hate that game!

Why?

#48 2 years ago

Comet and Hurricane.

#49 2 years ago

Dammit Pinbot, I hate to love you so much

#50 2 years ago

ANY game... when I'm eating it's lunch right up until the last ball eats mine.

There are 63 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/games-that-leave-you-angry and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.