• Earthshaker 15 votes
    25%
  • Funhouse 28 votes
    47%
  • Other (please drop in comments below). 4 votes
    7%

(60 votes)

#1 4 years ago

Whirlwind is my favorite game that I've had so far, overtaking my DE Jurassic Park which was a total ripoff of Whirlwind's layout. I really like the simpler rule set, and the challenging third flipper shot. I've opened up the outlanes, am struggling to get past 20 million, and am having a blast.

I'm not ready to switch up my lineup yet, but am curious as to what other games you would suggest.

I think the obvious spiritual successor to Whirlwind is The Addams Family, but am curious to what you guys think. I have probably put 50 games on the local one and it's great... but so are Lawlor's other 2 games he released around Whirlwind... Earthshaker and Funhouse. I've only played a handful of games on those but both are really fun. I wouldn't want something super deep, so his newer machines are likely out... for now.

Favorite games I've had
DE Jurassic Park
Stern Star Trek
White Water
ST:TNG

Games I've had
World Cup Soccer
Attack From Mars
Stern Star Trek
Jurassic Park
The Hobbit
Last Action Hero
Big Guns
Fish Tales
ST:TNG
Metallica
WhiteWater

Games I Didn't Like/Didn't Stay Long
Metallica
Big Guns (too shallow)
The Hobbit

#2 4 years ago

Seems like you enjoy Pat Lawlor games. I would suggest JJP’s Dailed In. It’s a great layout and I enjoyed the disaster theme. Saw a used standard for $6000 the other day.

Other good options:Twlight zone, Ripleys (RBION)

#3 4 years ago

I think Addams Family is more of an evolutionary successor. It has the same "shoot the scoop, start a mode, hit the ramp to light the scoop again" school of completion like Whirlwind started.

I think Monopoly is more of a "spiritual successor" to Whirlwind. Similar layout and everything. You seem to have similar tastes in games as I do, and I really enjoy Monopoly. The theme just isn't for me. Not sure if it's something you'd like.

#4 4 years ago

I didnt vote because I love all 3 on the list. Earthshaker is the most shallow of the 3. I really liked funhouse but played it so much over the years it's not exciting to me anymore. Addams is great. Been looking for a while and now hope the cgc remakes it so I can get a new one.
Now for the others...
Assuming you enjoy the 3rd flipper so let's look at a few.
Roadshow. Best bang for the buck. I just learned about the new code so I am eager to play it
Demoman. Not crazy about the theme, but decent layout and resonable price.
Judge dredd. See demoman.
Roller games. This only came to mind because I mentioned it in the "hardest shot in pinball" thread. Its shallow but no more shallow then most system 11. The ramp is a killer with out the magnet helper.
Last and definitely not least, twilight zone. If you are planning to dump cash on an addams then tz needs to be on the radar.

#5 4 years ago

Twilight Zone

#6 4 years ago

What is it about Whirlwind that you like? Layout? Rule set? Lawlor games in general? That will probably help narrow it down...that and your budget.

Monopoly is a good option honestly, it has a very similar layout but feels different. Not super deep but enough to do, I am a fan. I'm probably in the minority, but I'm not a fan of Funhouse. For the price I just don't have fun with it and much prefer Earthshaker - that's the only game I've sold so far that I'd like to have back. If you have the cash, TAF is probably your best bet. Ripleys is actually my favorite Lawlor game. The price is starting to rocket up but it has a lot of the WW-esque features.

#7 4 years ago
Quoted from Coz:

Seems like you enjoy Pat Lawlor games. I would suggest JJP’s Dailed In. It’s a great layout and I enjoyed the disaster theme. Saw a used standard for $6000 the other day.
Other good options:Twlight zone, Ripleys (RBION)

I'll have to go back and look at this one again. My only thing is that there is a ton going on in that game and I really want something where I can follow all of the rules. There was a Stern Star Wars I got into at the company office (I like Ritchie Too) that had a complicated rule set. It was much more fun once I grasped everything. Do you think Dialed In is any deeper.

Quoted from mbaumle:

I think Addams Family is more of an evolutionary successor. It has the same "shoot the scoop, start a mode, hit the ramp to light the scoop again" school of completion like Whirlwind started.
I think Monopoly is more of a "spiritual successor" to Whirlwind. Similar layout and everything. You seem to have similar tastes in games as I do, and I really enjoy Monopoly. The theme just isn't for me. Not sure if it's something you'd like.

I gotta look more into Monopoly. I've never actually played on. I really like Addams, but pretty much everyone does. If a deal showed up I'd have to look into it but wanted to know if there were any better options.

I want to like Twilight Zone but I just can't get into it. The one near me isn't in the best condition and this falls into the category of needing to understand a deeper ruleset.

Quoted from grantopia:

What is it about Whirlwind that you like? Layout? Rule set? Lawlor games in general? That will probably help narrow it down...that and your budget.
Monopoly is a good option honestly, it has a very similar layout but feels different. Not super deep but enough to do, I am a fan. I'm probably in the minority, but I'm not a fan of Funhouse. For the price I just don't have fun with it and much prefer Earthshaker - that's the only game I've sold so far that I'd like to have back. If you have the cash, TAF is probably your best bet. Ripleys is actually my favorite Lawlor game. The price is starting to rocket up but it has a lot of the WW-esque features.

For Whirlwind... it is just the right amount of difficulty for me. I don't like games that take 30 minutes, so initially when I played Whirlwind I didn't care for it but after opening my outlanes it is just right. I really like the 3rd flipper shot for jackpot which is really hard for me to get in multiball. I actually only get the millions jackpot every 3rd multiball or so. Its not stupid hard, and the game does a really good job of setting up and staging the shot with multiple ways to set up the shot. I really like that I can easily explain the rules. Hit the flashing lights to light the lock for jackpot for big points. Hit the scoop when it is flashing to get the cellar bonus. Get all the cellar bonuses for the special trap door bonus. Limited randomness in spinning disks, decent art package. Overall a great package.

I have liked all of the Lawlor games I have played, but am not a super fan of Twilight Zone. I've never tried Ripleys but will have to check it out. I am leaning heavily towards Addams but it's a bit pricey. We'll see what's on the market next year and go from there.

Thanks guys!

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

I'll have to go back and look at this one again. My only thing is that there is a ton going on in that game and I really want something where I can follow all of the rules. There was a Stern Star Wars I got into at the company office (I like Ritchie Too) that had a complicated rule set. It was much more fun once I grasped everything. Do you think Dialed In is any deeper.

I gotta look more into Monopoly. I've never actually played on. I really like Addams, but pretty much everyone does. If a deal showed up I'd have to look into it but wanted to know if there were any better options.

I want to like Twilight Zone but I just can't get into it. The one near me isn't in the best condition and this falls into the category of needing to understand a deeper ruleset.

For Whirlwind... it is just the right amount of difficulty for me. I don't like games that take 30 minutes, so initially when I played Whirlwind I didn't care for it but after opening my outlanes it is just right. I really like the 3rd flipper shot for jackpot which is really hard for me to get in multiball. I actually only get the millions jackpot every 3rd multiball or so. Its not stupid hard, and the game does a really good job of setting up and staging the shot with multiple ways to set up the shot. I really like that I can easily explain the rules. Hit the flashing lights to light the lock for jackpot for big points. Hit the scoop when it is flashing to get the cellar bonus. Get all the cellar bonuses for the special trap door bonus. Limited randomness in spinning disks, decent art package. Overall a great package.
I have liked all of the Lawlor games I have played, but am not a super fan of Twilight Zone. I've never tried Ripleys but will have to check it out. I am leaning heavily towards Addams but it's a bit pricey. We'll see what's on the market next year and go from there.
Thanks guys!

Dialed in can be deep, Definitely find one and put some games on it. It has a great shot layout and fun toys.

#9 4 years ago

Your judging Twilight Zone on a beat one that probably doesn't play properly. Its rule set is pretty close to Addams. Shoot the scoop, start the mode, shoot the ramp to light scoop. TZ just has a whole lot more things to make the modes way better. Both games have great callouts and light shows.

#10 4 years ago

You said you like Whirlwind for the simpler rule set. Therefore, I am not sure why some people are recommending TZ or Dialed In. Based on what you said you like about Whirlwind, I think you would most enjoy Funhouse or Earthshaker.

#11 4 years ago

The layouts of Whirlwind and Funhouse are so similar, it would usually be tough to recommend both. It’s the same layout but flipped essentially. In this case everything just feels a little different so FH is the perfect game for you. If you have the coin and want to try Dialed In I would recommend that HIGHLY as well.

#12 4 years ago

funhouse
space shuttle
diner
taxi

#13 4 years ago

I am surprised to see how heavily recommend funhouse is. I'm going to have to try and get some more time on one... I know Addams beats Funhouse on vs threads... I really want them to make that CGC Addams so I can buy a reject 30 year old one.

I see a lot of games listed in here that I really like... and appreciate the input.

I've only played it virtually but how do you guys think HSII The Getaways would compare to Whirlwind on ruleset?

#14 4 years ago

Getaway is pretty simple but fun. If the right deal came along I would recommend one.

#15 4 years ago

I found that I really liked the shots on Dialed In. Given the choice, I'd take one over TAF. And surprisingly, they're about the same price.

#16 4 years ago

Surprised no one mentioned high speed.

* Whirlwind has a fun long shot from the left flipper to the drop target, HS has a fun long shot from the left flipper to the saucer
* WW has a challenging ramp shot from upper right flipper, same with HS
* WW is by a legendary game designer and will always be a classic, same with HS

Still, I don't love HS or WW as much as I enjoy Getaway mentioned above.

Quoted from yaksplat:

I found that I really liked the shots on Dialed In. Given the choice, I'd take one over TAF. And surprisingly, they're about the same price.

Wow. If that's true I would totally do the same thing. I have great respect for TAF and Lawlor is my favorite but I don't feel the need to own one, especially given the premium being paid by collectors.

#17 4 years ago

I didn't like Funhouse at all. Cool theme, Rudy is fun, but the game play wasn't for me. Most Lawlor games I can't get into. This includes AF and TZ.

I do love me some ww though.

11 months later
#18 3 years ago

I see I'm a bit late to your question, and I only found it by "asking the same question", I too love my Whirlwind it's my favorite machine!
I also own Road Show most recently (i'm loving it!!), Whitewater which I saw you already owned (crazy fast and furious at times!), and Tales of Arabian Nights, (smooth and seems controllable compared to lots)
I've played many many other machines over the years as well. The thing most people don't like about Whirlwind is the reason I love it, it's simple but difficult. My high score is 26 mill.
I seriously doubt there's a comparable game...to me they all have differences. Yes there's machines that copy some of each others playfields, or rule sets, but most all of them seem to have something unique.
WHIRLWIND = best music throughout, love the jams when you post a high score!! Such a cool theme with awesome Youssi art work, LOVE the spinning discs and the top flipper shot is great!! I'm also a fan of JET BUMPERS and the six on here are placed so well, and are integral to it's design!!
"Ya all come back now!!"

#19 3 years ago

Dialed in is the modern pat masterpiece. Though be aware I am still in the honeymoon faze

#20 3 years ago

I'd say Funhouse also. I've had them both now for years and love them both. Some say the layout is similar, I don't find that at all.

#21 3 years ago

Dr.Dude sort of reminds me of Whirlwind and Scared Stiff combined. I don't know why other than the specific order of shots that need to be made.

#22 3 years ago

When I play my whirlwind, it gets me jonesing to play Twilight Zone. I think it’s the left shot through the pops and the long center/right extra ball shot that does it everytime

#23 3 years ago

That left orbit is certain stdm on mine. Everytime.
I'm just not quick enough to grab it with the top flipper.

#24 3 years ago

For a pre-DMD game I find it hard to beat.

Quoted from punkin:

That left orbit is certain stdm on mine. Everytime.
I'm just not quick enough to grab it with the top flipper.

I've gotten real good with the timing on this shot, still miss it frequently, but have learned to nail it a lot too!

#25 3 years ago

Sorry i meant the right orbit, it zooms back through the pops and sdtm. I need to adjust the ball guide, it does it every time.

#26 3 years ago

Revisiting this as the OP after a year, I would like to say that so far, of everything I've tried... High Speed feels the closest to WhirlWind. It is simple to understand with that critical 3rd flipper to ramp shot that locks in for the multiball and the jackpot. Great game! I miss my WhirlWind.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Bakersfield, CA
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 90.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 30.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

4,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Greenwood, IN
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/games-like-whirlwind-poll-inside and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.