• Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

d2-u8.jpg
meter.jpg
#1 9 years ago

I keep tinkering with the settings of my WCS. About every second time I turn on the machine the game goes back to the default settings. Battery holder seems ok, no acid damage, wondering where to look next?

#2 9 years ago

Batteries themselves dead?

#3 9 years ago

Per "the guide," If your batteries are good:

Step 1:
Is power getting to the U8 RAM chip?
With your game off and batteries installed, put your DDM on DC volts and put the black lead on the backbox ground strap. Then put the red lead on diode D2 on the CPU board. The banded side of the diode should show about .5 volts less than the non-banded side (which should be about 4.3 volts). If only one side of the diode shows voltage, this 1N4148 diode is bad.

Step 2:
test for voltage at the CPU U8 RAM chip. With the game off, you should get about 4.3 volts DC at pins 26, 27 or 28 of chip U8. If you don't, the battery voltage is not getting to the U8 RAM chip, and the game will boot up with the "Factory Settings Restored" error. Note pin 28 of the 28 pin U8 chip is in the same position as pin 1 of the chip, but on the opposite row of pins. Pin 1 is designated with an impressed "dot" right on the top of the chip.

If those check, U8 could have gone bad. If your batteries are good but you aren't getting voltage it's either a cold solder joint at the holder, or something bad in the holder.

Post edited by jalpert

#4 9 years ago

thanks jalpert will try and take a look at what you said. BTW great way of explaining it. I`m still new to the voltage and chip stuff so this will be a great learning experience.

Quoted from WOLF:

Batteries themselves dead?

Just changed the batteries.

#5 9 years ago

Ok, it was a stab at the obvious.

#6 9 years ago

I wish I could take credit for the verbiage, but it was a copy and paste from "the guide." Years ago we used to have a document that answered about 92% of all the tech questions answered on pinside. The guide got taken offline, and has been largely forgotten about.

http://pinwiki.com has a lot of really good info, but this section in particular isn't worded nearly as clearly or concisely as "the guide."

Quoted from flashinstinct:

BTW great way of explaining it.

#7 9 years ago

Ok so a multimeter to me is like kryptonite......Im deadly afraid of it because I mostly dont understand it. I`m a very visual person so when I see it done in front of me I retain alot more. Not to say I am not trying.....

So heres what I did, I followed jalperts instruction from the guide.

I put the DMM at the position show in the picture below
meter.jpgmeter.jpg

I then measure the voltage (hope I have it at the right place on the DMM) of the D2 diode and measured position #1 in the pic at 3.5-3.6 and then measure position #2 at 3.1-3.2

I then measure the pin which I thought were 26,27,28 which were giving me a reading between 3.1-3.5
d2-u8.jpgd2-u8.jpg

I took a look at the battery solder and the thing looks very solid and clean. No hairline cracks, no discoloring, no burn, no acid leak.

Did I do this right, voltage is about 1 volt off (again assuming I did it right)?

I might buy a fresh pack of batteries just to be 100% sure it's not the batteries but I'm pretty sure they are not the problem.

#8 9 years ago

Do I have to check D3 or D2? another forum alludes to D3...

#9 9 years ago

I've had this issue on three WPC machines. My whitewater is starting to have this issue now.
Those two diodes need to likely be replaced. I've replaced the batteries, has it solve the problem, then a while later the problem starts up again. Replacing those diodes has always solved the issue.
Plus its fun to work on the CPU next to those chip$. Like a game of operation.

#10 9 years ago

My WCS had this issue just last week. Soldered on a remote battery holder and bingo, problem solved. My regular battery holder looked totally fine too, cheap replacement did the trick.

#11 9 years ago
Quoted from rockotaco1:

My WCS had this issue just last week. Soldered on a remote battery holder and bingo, problem solved. My regular battery holder looked totally fine too, cheap replacement did the trick.

Mine is a weird looking thing. It snaps on top of some of the chips on the board and is hooked up via the black terminals next to R19. Will post a picture tonight when I get home.

#12 9 years ago

You can also change to a NVRAM chip which negates the need for a battery holder/batteries for ever. For the price you pay for them (about $35) it will eventually be cheaper than replacing batteries every year. The ONLY issue i have found with the NVRAM chip's is that they, strangely, don't keep time or date in the machine (a small issue really), otherwise i have not had any issues in regards loss of high score records. More to the point, in regards your post, i have never had the machines reset back to factory settings in all the time i've used these chip's

#13 9 years ago
Quoted from flashinstinct:

Mine is a weird looking thing. It snaps on top of some of the chips on the board and is hooked up via the black terminals next to R19. Will post a picture tonight when I get home.

Mine is the exact same thing. I soldered the new remote holder wires behind the spot you plug into directly on the board. Fixed it.

Just match up the negative and positive wires correctly and you should be good.

#14 9 years ago

I guarantee there is something wrong with the battery holder.... 9 times out of ten it's simply a cracked solder joint to the board. These holders suck and when people replace the batts they flex the crap put of the connectors and they break. You won't be able to see it unless you remove the cpu board... Reflow the solder at the 6 connections or just do what others said and get a remote battery holder and solder that in. Best to get batteries off the board so they won't leak and destroy it..

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

4,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Balt, MD
$ 8.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 26.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Pimp

$ 17.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 69.00
Pinball Machine
Multiball mods

$ 41.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Boards
Slap Save Creations

$ 22.50
Electronics
bdash's bits

3,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lafayette, LA
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Plantsville, CT
$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

$ 63.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/games-keeps-going-back-to-default-settings and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.