(Topic ID: 131934)

Games can taste like their designers! WHAT?

By Jared

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 35 posts
  • 25 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by DarthXaos
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

jurassic_wind.jpg
#1 8 years ago

So this weekend for the first time I got a chance to play a Sega Frankenstein. Never touched one before or played one.

As I stepped up to the game to play, I noticed the scoop on the lower left part of the playfield... (Jurassic Park, KISS)... the 3rd flipper on the upper right... (Jurassic Park)... the giant toy with crazy face (Metallica), the 4 pop bumpers on left orbit (KISS, Jurassic Park), the one ramp that fed around (Jurassic Park)...

The game... as I played it... it had a certain "taste" to it. A flavor. A tasty flavor.

I played it twice (awesome dots and animations on that big DMD I tell ya!!!) and after 6 balls... WITH NO PRIOR RESEARCH AT ALL... I said to myself... "Dude... this has to be a John Borg game!".

Hopped on IPDB.

Yep. Its a John Borg game. lol

I realized then, that I have reached a point now where I have played so much pinball, that I can recognize layout and feature similarities by sight/feel without even knowing who the games designer was and then... guess... accurately.

Thats when I knew: Games can taste like their designers.

PS: I like Sega Frankenstein and would love to own one. lol.

#2 8 years ago

there has to be a way of expressing this idea that doesn't make want to barf.

#3 8 years ago

Or, you know, a [insert designer here] game could feel like a [insert designer here] game.

I don't quite understand the attempt to say it "tastes" like them.

#4 8 years ago

I use the word "taste" to mean "flavor"... as in.. a feeling... an emotion.

I literally felt like I was playing a JOHN BORG game as I played it... (and I had no real proof or idea that he designed it as I thought this).

Plus... saying the word "taste" is interesting. lol

#5 8 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

there has to be a way of expressing this idea that doesn't make want to barf.

Signature Style?

#6 8 years ago

I felt the same way when I first played Monopoly. Had no idea Pat Lawlor designed it, but I knew it felt just like I was playing Addams Family or Whirlwind.

#7 8 years ago

A lot of what you are describing originated with lawlor. I wouldnt give all the credit for that "taste" to borg.

#8 8 years ago

What do you think Nordman tastes like?

#9 8 years ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

What do you think Nordman tastes like?

Bacon.

Yep, signature style is probably a better way to describe it.

#10 8 years ago

Perhaps spoiled milk tastes of JPop?

Horse shit tastes of Skit-B?

Draino-laced-heroin tastes of Vonnie D?

#11 8 years ago
Quoted from Jared:

I use the word "taste" to mean "flavor"... as in.. a feeling... an emotion.
I literally felt like I was playing a JOHN BORG game as I played it... (and I had no real proof or idea that he designed it as I thought this).
Plus... saying the word "taste" is interesting. lol

Now go play a TFTC. You will get some of that same flavor. Heck, I would even say it is in NFL to a degree although that game has some Balcer characteristics.

#12 8 years ago

DNA

Ritchie DNA - 'squint at high speed', refine it, refine it again

Lawlor DNA - 5 pops, upper right flipper, some interactive toys to wow you

Gomie DNA -- master of the fan, add some stop action devices to eliminate the flow

Eddie DNA -- likes the fans, put a bash toy in the middle, allows some flow

Trudeau DNA - whirl pools, you will wait to hit the ball, then you will wait, to wait some more

He, that shall never be named again -- green and purple, more of each, more pizzazz, less filling

Borg DNA - in your face gaming (kickbacks, spinners, and ball spitters) You will be engaged, you may not like it, but you must respondor die

All of these guys refined, and polished their core DNA designs, from game, to game

Think evolution, not revolution.

#13 8 years ago

Pat Lawlor tastes like danger. And shots through pops. And close up scoops.

#14 8 years ago

Jared, reeling everyone in...Crazy title..

#15 8 years ago

Ew.

Anyway, I guess I support your enthusiasm in figuring this stuff out for the first time, but this isn't some deep, profound discovery. Of course game designers have styles that carry across games.

I just wish you wouldn't explore your budding pinball awareness in ways that squick me out. Gross.

#16 8 years ago

Borg has that design taste. Look at IJ4 compared to Frankenstein. 4 pops in orbit with different color caps, scoop. same idea with Xmen too. Iron man and Austin powers.... same things. Metallica has been his best "different" layout lately.

#17 8 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

Ew.
Anyway, I guess I support your enthusiasm in figuring this stuff out for the first time, but this isn't some deep, profound discovery. Of course game designers have styles that carry across games.
I just wish you wouldn't explore your budding pinball awareness in ways that squick me out. Gross.

Just sharing some of my fun revelations with the upperclassmen.

I know these revelations aren't new: but they are to me.

And that's fun.

Considering a large portion of "pinball enthusiasts" have started since 2011, you may be surprised how much stuff that is obvious to some is news to many.

#18 8 years ago

Soon there will be "please do not lick the pinball machines" signs at expos.

Today I learned that since I have JP and Frankenstein, I do not need to buy Kiss. I do love both of those games though, and Frankenstein is both awesome and under-appreciated. I finally saw one besides my own recently at Southern Fried, and it was constantly being played. We're upgrading the speakers and adding a dedicated powered sub to mine, so it will soon rock.

#19 8 years ago
Quoted from blondetall:

Soon there will be "Please do not lick the pinball machines" signs at expos.
Today I learned that since I have JP and Frankenstein, I do not need to buy Kiss. I do love both of those games though, and Frankenstein is both awesome and under-appreciated. I finally saw one besides my own recently at Southern Fried, and it was constantly being played. We're upgrading the speakers and adding a dedicated powered sub to mine, so it will soon rock.

The data east sounding jam session rock in Frankenstein is badass, frankly.

#20 8 years ago
Quoted from scott_freeman:

Ritchie DNA - 'squint at High Speed', refine it, refine it again

Well played.

#21 8 years ago

( Jared, are you aware that you can pick your soundtrack on Frankenstein before you launch the first ball? Left flipper gives you the movie soundtrack, right flipper gives you Edgar Winter's Frankenstein. Certain modes always play the soundtrack, but you can change the mood of the game completely by going classical or rock. )

#22 8 years ago
Quoted from blondetall:

( Jared, are you aware that you can pick your soundtrack on Frankenstein before you launch the first ball? Left flipper gives you the movie soundtrack, right flipper gives you Edgar Winter's Frankenstein. Certain modes always play the soundtrack, but you can change the mood of the game completely by going classical or rock. )

Yeah!!! I noticed!! How cool is that right!!!!??

#23 8 years ago

I kind of like the "taste" or "flavor" concept from designers but it also tells me that they don't innovate or change with the times enough to change the feel of their games. I'm not sure that is a good thing, just recycling old layouts with twists added on. It's all speculative as it happens a lot and there is only so many different ways to design a game but to me that is more a negative than a positive for a good designer. Branch out, try new things!

#24 8 years ago
Quoted from jdoz2:

A lot of what you are describing originated with lawlor. I wouldnt give all the credit for that "taste" to borg.

That's for sure.

#25 8 years ago
Quoted from blondetall:

Soon there will be "please do not lick the pinball machines" signs at expos

In Soviet Russia, machines lick you!

#26 8 years ago

I think Trudeau's designs have a lot more variety from game to game. I don't see a ton of recycling in his games other than the CFTBL and Mustang ramp. He is more willing to take risks which results in games that are hit or miss.

#27 8 years ago

Jared, did the Frankenstein and Jurassic Park taste kinda like a Whirlwind?

#28 8 years ago
Quoted from Hi-Fi:

I've never had the honor to play one.

#29 8 years ago
Quoted from jdoz2:

Quoted from Hi-Fi:

Hey, if you're gonna steal, might as well steal from the best! J/K - I love you, Borgy

jurassic wind.jpgjurassic wind.jpg

#30 8 years ago
Quoted from Jared:

I've never had the honor to play one.

Same question just substitute TAF

#31 8 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Same question just substitute TAF

Or a flipped Funhouse.

#32 8 years ago
Quoted from roffels:

Or a flipped Funhouse.

No that's Tron

#33 8 years ago

Data East was being sued left and right from Williams for stealing play field layouts and other proprietary gear. The industry was and still is full of criminals. Go figure.

#34 8 years ago
Quoted from DevilsTuner:

Data East was being sued left and right from Williams for stealing play field layouts and other proprietary gear. The industry was and still is full of criminals. Go figure.

In context, this happens in EVERY industry. My company just recently got sued by a patent owner, because as far as we figure, the owner's out of money. (And since we were NOT the first ones to use the patent, we fought it and won. But the other company is going after all the other people too..)

#35 8 years ago
Quoted from blondetall:

Soon there will be "please do not lick the pinball machines" signs at expos.

And a "do not lick the designers" sign outside the seminar room.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 36.95
$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 259.00
$ 27.95
Boards
PinSound

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/games-can-taste-like-their-designers-what and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.