• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Boot_in_AZZZ.JPG
image.jpg
011.JPG
There are 69 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 11 years ago

What games do you think are more enjoyable when set to 5-ball?
Personally, I need to keep Sorcerer set at 5.
Mine's clearcoated and plays insanely fast and the outlanes like to gobble balls.

#2 11 years ago

None. All of mine are on 3 ball.

#3 11 years ago

When I first got Shadow I set it to 5 ball cause my 3 ball games lasted less than 2 minutes.

#4 11 years ago

I set my EM's to 5 ball and SS's to 3 ball pretty much across the board.

--Luke

#5 11 years ago

I'll go ahead and Kick my Own AZZ 4- Posting this , but I set All my Pin's to 5-ball play , They Will

Leave Set on 5-ball .. The Only Pin that I had set to 3-ball was my SM ..

011.JPG011.JPG

#6 11 years ago
Quoted from BLACK_ROSE:

I'll go ahead and Kick my Own AZZ 4- Posting this , but I set All my Pin's to 5-ball play , They Will
Leave Set on 5-ball Play.. The Only Pin that I had set to 3-ball was my SM ..

BR-
I sure hope that's your boot – not your X-ray.

#7 11 years ago

Wouldn't it be better to just set replay award(s) to extra ball and set the value lower? Then at least if you're having a stinker you don't have to trudge through 5 balls.

#8 11 years ago

Black Hole -- drain 4 just to get capture --

#9 11 years ago
Quoted from BowlingJim:

None. All of mine are on 3 ball.

Agreed. Keeping it on three balls forces me to play better. Now there are definitely times I wish I had just one more ball, but with five balls I think I'd lose a bit of the tensity of the pin.

#10 11 years ago

Many/Most of the older EMs pretty much REQUIRE 5 Ball - it is the way their rules were set up way back when. REPLAY scoring levels can certainly be adjusted - but things such as "Complete all 12 Rollovers" on a short-flippered game almost always demand 5 balls. (It is just one example)

#11 11 years ago
Quoted from Ranhorton:

BR-
I sure hope that's your boot – not your X-ray.

As you get 2 know me , You will see it Ever now & then ..

#12 11 years ago

I don't keep any of my machines on 5 ball now since most games out in the wild and in tournaments are all 3 ball. However, there was a lot less expletives being blurted in my basement when my DW was on 5 ball.

#13 11 years ago

It is interesting... I tend to have better scores on 3 ball games vs. 5 ball. There is just a higher sense of urgency to each ball. I tend to snooze during the first couple balls on 5 ball games.

#14 11 years ago

Mine are both 3 ball games, but if I had to choose one, I think LOTR would be a good 5-ball pin.

#15 11 years ago

All of mine are set to 5 ball. It's the way all my friends and family remember them from the local arcades in the 70's and 80's. All were quarter play and then came the nineties and we got 3 balls for FIFTY cents. RIPOFF. Chips that had more air in the bag than chips came along for the ride and cigarette prices doubled. Gee, thanks...give me my five ball free play now.

#16 11 years ago
Quoted from shanetastic:

It is interesting... I tend to have better scores on 3 ball games vs. 5 ball.

My experience exactly. In the past when I tried to switch to 5 ball, my scores and progress stayed the same. It was weird so, it has to be the mental urgency thing.

#18 11 years ago
Quoted from kwiKimart:

Mine are both 3 ball games, but if I had to choose one, I think LOTR would be a good 5-ball pin.

LOTR? Cripes.....I'd be looking at 3+ hours a game with 5 balls on LOTR.

I set JD to 5 balls. I can reach the wizard mode just enough to keep it interesting on 5 balls.....never got there on three. That being said I haven't had it that long and I'm sure that once I figured it all out I could go back to 3......that is, if I hadn't just sold it.

#19 11 years ago

As I've have always said during a crappy game, "It only takes one silver ball to turn a game around."
Be it 3 or 5 ball play...

#20 11 years ago
Quoted from kwiKimart:

Um... I'd need to set aside an entire night if LOTR were on 5 ball...

#21 11 years ago

I have to go with none on this one. 5 balls just makes for too long of a game no matter what the pin is IMO. However, whatever you prefer go with that regardless of what others say because all that really matters is you enjoy flipping.

#23 11 years ago

Any game where the random chance dictates a certain amount of drain. Where skillful play dosn't pay off a certain advantage.

On older games with wide outlanes and/or flipperspacing, I'd rather see a tight tilt with 5 ball games than loose tilt with 3 ball games.

#24 11 years ago
Quoted from MrDo:

Um... I'd need to set aside an entire night if LOTR were on 5 ball...

At least I didn't choose TSPP!!

#25 11 years ago

I had XMLE set to 5 ball on 1.22, but with 1.23 on Normal, I've left it on 3.

#26 11 years ago

Some older games (gottlieb system 80's come to mind) offer higher score values on 3 ball versus 5 ball play. I personally set all my games on 3 ball. Personal preference I guess

#27 11 years ago

BSD, and i still can't score good on 5 balls, with lighting flippers.

#28 11 years ago

I had a couple of my SS games set on 5 ball originally, but now all are 3 ball. The games keep my interest more this way as well. If I had an EM I would do 5 for the same reasons others said.

#29 11 years ago

Some games have better rules on five ball play. Evel Knievel is a more balanced pin on 5 ball play, no raping the spinners until you knock down the drop targets to light them. On EK, scores will actually be lower on 5 ball, than 3 ball, just because none of the spinners are lit at the start of the ball.

#30 11 years ago
Quoted from HighNoon:

--Luke

This

#31 11 years ago

Pre 1980, 5 Balls
Post 1985, 3balls
1980-85, depends on the game

#32 11 years ago

I have my High Speed on 3 ball, as this how I remember playing it in the pool hall, bowling alley, and arcades as a teen in the 80's. Yes games are faster on 3 ball, but when it kicks your ass it keeps me coming back for more!

#33 11 years ago

if I haven't earned wizard mode on a game I have (on a few occasions) cranked the balls per game up right before it gets purged. funny thing is it rarely helps...

#34 11 years ago
Quoted from HighNoon:

--Luke

Agreed.

#35 11 years ago

I have my FT set to 5-balls.

#36 11 years ago

I had my STTNG (w/ stock outlanes) set on 5-ball for a long time. Only way I could reach the Final Frontier with any regularity. Still felt like cheating though...

#37 11 years ago

I just brought Whirlwind down to 3 balls last weekend.
Had it at 5 for the first few months to experience all the features.
Now that i have, I find myself focusing more on a strategy to racking up points and getting the mega door bonus.

Personally, I really enjoy playing a game i'm less familiar with using the 5 ball setting so i can see what it does. Then once I've experienced all the bells and whistles i appreciate the gameplay more when i only have 3 balls to work with.

However, i'm not sure i can ever take Sorcerer down to a 3 ball game.
It's way too aggressive.

#38 11 years ago

I have my Black Knight 2000 on 5 balls/game because that was its default setting when it came out: 5 balls a game, $0.50/play. It didn't work out for Williams because the default setting after that ended up being $0.50/1 play, $0.75/2 plays, $1.00/3 plays and 3 balls/game.

My Haunted House is also set on 5 balls because I've seen it kick the ball from the center saucer in the upper left directly SDTM twice in a row.

My Laser Cue is set on 5 balls because bonus automatically holds over and even the bonus multiplier only resets down to 5x; the game is all about building bonus and bonus multiplier (goes to 20x), so having more balls makes sense. My Sorcerer on the other hand has virtually nothing that holds over from ball to ball, so I leave it on 3 balls/game.

My Swords of Fury, I already roll it over fairly regularly on 3 balls/game, it'd just be way too easy on 5 balls/game.

#39 11 years ago

Tron would be a good candidate for 5 IMO. I gotta say though, there is a part or me that use to, and still do to a degree, thinks putting a game on 5 balls is semi-cheating

I know it's not cheating, but my sense of accomplishment would have been a whole lot less when I finally got to, and beat, Portal multi-ball. I did it with stock settings and only 3 balls.

I have since set the replay at 18 mil to give a extra ball instead of a free game. It really is alot more enjoyable to me now. It's a home machine afterall and I bought it to have fun. Although my friends can hardly get 18 mil, it still gives them hope, lol.

#40 11 years ago

all on 3 ball... its free to play them again

#41 11 years ago

I liked my Paragon on 5. My Space Shuttle is on 3. I recently turned my JM to 5 ball and love it. I get to many side drains to play 3 ball. I still havent reached powerdown mode. My high score is with 3 ball still.

#42 11 years ago

omg I am getting good at double posts

#43 11 years ago

Gtb. 'Sure Shot'
very very hard getting the top 5 rollovers on 3 ball play

#44 11 years ago

Lots of people set their congo to 4 or 5 ball mine is 4 ball. Youtube shows 3 ,4 and 5 ball demo's

#45 11 years ago

i have older games on 5, newer game on 3.

#46 11 years ago

Like most say, ems on 5 ball and really old SS on 5 depending (Mata Hari comes to mind).

#47 11 years ago

All of my EMs are, none of my SSs are.

#48 11 years ago

I keep the FH I have at my grandma's house on 5 ball, since everyone else in the family is not a pinball person.

All of my other games = 3 ball.

#49 11 years ago

Paragon!

image.jpgimage.jpg

#50 11 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

All of mine are set to 5 ball. It's the way all my friends and family remember them from the local arcades in the 70's and 80's. All were quarter play and then came the nineties and we got 3 balls for FIFTY cents. RIPOFF. Chips that had more air in the bag than chips came along for the ride and cigarette prices doubled. Gee, thanks...give me my five ball free play now.

exactly all 5 balls , just like when I was a kid 1970's

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 22.50
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 749.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Watertown, MA
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 69 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/games-best-set-on-5-ball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.