Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 79 posts
  • 27 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by f3honda4me
  • Topic is favorited by 8 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_4410 (resized).jpg
    IMG_4409 (resized).jpg
    IMG_4408 (resized).jpg
    IMG_4407 (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    7A832ADA-E7A7-4724-8238-B44F2653714F (resized).jpeg
    A1DA661C-6B76-41F1-97BC-CC32A4195A4B (resized).jpeg
    96611A23-D437-4E73-8C9F-D3F9DEA43CE7 (resized).jpeg
    710BDE0D-0411-4E3D-B8B1-4E039B6BEDB3 (resized).jpeg
    850C02B3-C652-4C60-9940-6E343A611393 (resized).jpeg
    73447033-7D54-4891-B231-487EC3CA8A28 (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    There are 79 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 5 years ago

We have decided to remodel half of our basement a bit in order to create a more useful space. The people who owned the home before us finished the basement. But I will use that term "finished" loosely. In previous projects we have found that there was a fair number of things not quite to code, even though the basement has full permits and passed all inspections. Just goes to show that inspections and permits sometimes mean nothing lol. There were very obvious code violations that were signed off on (not done after the fact) so I can only imagine what we may find in doing this remodel.

Here is a picture of the area we are focusing on. The previous owners made a "crappy" bar to show off the home and make the basement look more finished. This "bar" is nothing but some 2x4 with some quick drywall, some trim, and the countertop is actually just plywood. They painted it all brown. The flooring is laminate cheap junk.

1240986c48046ea69bf25eb5c1297683l-m24xd-w1020_h770_q80 (resized).jpg1240986c48046ea69bf25eb5c1297683l-m24xd-w1020_h770_q80 (resized).jpg
    #2 5 years ago

The end goal here is that we will remove the bar entirely, remove the cheap flooring, and put down a nicer solid wood flooring. The "alcove" where the bar was will be where pinball machines go. I can fit 4 in there against the wall. I can fit a 5th in the office area and a 6th if need be on the other side of the alcove, along the wall.

In addition, we are going to take the wall where our POTC sits and open a hole, and install a bar countertop. The backside of that room will get cabinets installed and that backside room will become storage and holding area for food, alcohol, etc things for entertaining and parties.

#3 5 years ago

That doesn’t look too bad - but it certainly looks better from afar than what you’re describing. Good luck! What are you thinking ?

#4 5 years ago

Here is the POTC wall I'm referring to, and the backside "room".

IMG_3904 (resized).jpgIMG_3904 (resized).jpgIMG_3905 (resized).jpgIMG_3905 (resized).jpg
    #5 5 years ago

I tore off the countertop from the bar and as expected, code violation. They had an outlet completely drywalled inside and hidden, and lights that we thought were hard wired to a switch were actually plugged into the outlet and the outlet was on a switch.

IMG_3898 (resized).jpgIMG_3898 (resized).jpg
    #6 5 years ago

Progress! I plan to tear out the rest of the bar this weekend and start working on the wood flooring.

Half of the outlets in the bar area alcove don't work, so that will be a fun side project this weekend to find out why as well.

IMG_3902 (resized).jpgIMG_3902 (resized).jpgIMG_3903 (resized).jpgIMG_3903 (resized).jpg
    #7 5 years ago

Ok first off wow I wish my basement looked like that lol. But totally understand making it Your own space and what a great space you have to work with so many possibilities. Never fully understood the bar thing but everyone has their own perspective on entertaining. Good luck with your project and consider taking a look at the Game Room thread. So many great ideas in that thread several of which I copied myself.

#8 5 years ago
    Quoted from Yelobird:

Never fully understood the bar thing but everyone has their own perspective on entertaining.

I have to agree, I have a cocktail table set up and people rarely even use that-might have to ditch it soon to make space for another pin. May try just putting a bunch of pin-gulps on machines and have a small fridge?

#9 5 years ago
    Quoted from f3honda4me:

I tore off the countertop from the bar and as expected, code violation. They had an outlet completely drywalled inside and hidden, and lights that we thought were hard wired to a switch were actually plugged into the outlet and the outlet was on a switch.[quoted image]

Seriously? Holy shit. I can't believe people do stuff like that.

Well, at least they put an outlet cover on it.

I'm looking forward to this thread. They are my favorite. Unfortunately mine has stalled for awhile due to my bank account being on strike.

#10 5 years ago

We want to have the bar area since it serves as a place for people to set drinks or for us to set out snacks/food etc. It also helps tie the one half of the finished basement to the other half by setting it up on the wall I mentioned. This way we can have guests over and do all the entertaining downstairs. We would have food, drinks, etc all there and then the game room area plus the pool table area and the TV/videogame area.

Here is a pic of the "other half" of our finished basement.

IMG_3908 (resized).jpgIMG_3908 (resized).jpg
    #11 5 years ago

Very nice. Good start. When you are done you will be filling it with pins. . I am now out of room

#12 5 years ago

We finished our basement two years ago and put in a rather large bar. Whenever we have guests it gets a LOT of use. Usually all the men hang out around it and partake in the many bottles of booze on display. I think it all comes down to how you set it up, if it is sterile and not utilitarian (like to one OP is removing) then it will not get much use at all. On the other hand if it is located in a practical space in the room, decorated properly, and set up as an actual bar (booze on display, glasses readily available, bartending equipment) it will get used.

#13 5 years ago

Picked out and picked up the flooring. 170sq ft so needed 7 boxes. Might get away with 6 and able to return one but we shall see. Also picked up a "bagster" bag portable "dumpster". It's basically a 3 CU yard dumpster that gets picked up. Should be more than enough for our project.

Pic below of the new wood flooring sitting on top of the old wood flooring. Went with a light gray color as we liked how it flowed with the carpet.

We went with engineered hardwood since it is ideal for a floating install over basement concrete to hold up to temp/moisture, but can be refinished. Way nicer than the laminate installed right now.
    IMG_3914 (resized).jpgIMG_3914 (resized).jpg57186171170__C277ED8E-E2B3-4B1A-82E4-C4B3236BB506 (resized).JPG57186171170__C277ED8E-E2B3-4B1A-82E4-C4B3236BB506 (resized).JPG

#14 5 years ago
    Quoted from f3honda4me:

Picked out and picked up the flooring. 170sq ft so needed 7 boxes. Might get away with 6 and able to return one but we shall see. Also picked up a "bagster" bag portable "dumpster". It's basically a 3 CU yard dumpster that gets picked up. Should be more than enough for our project.
    Pic below of the new wood flooring sitting on top of the old wood flooring. Went with a light gray color as we liked how it flowed with the carpet.
    We went with engineered hardwood since it is ideal for a floating install over basement concrete to hold up to temp/moisture, but can be refinished. Way nicer than the laminate installed right now.
    [quoted image][quoted image]

Great choice. The click & lock stuff is super easy to install too. Bagster is incredible how mucb that thing can hold. I have thrown away entire exterior walls in those things

#15 5 years ago

The stupidity continues - the wiring they ran for the outlets was stapled to the framing using metal staples that are too small to use for that width of wire, and many of the metal staples went through the insulation and inner insulation of the wires and was in contact with the metal wires! Scary!

#16 5 years ago
    Quoted from f3honda4me:

The stupidity continues - the wiring they ran for the outlets was stapled to the framing using metal staples that are too small to use for that width of wire, and many of the metal staples went through the insulation and inner insulation of the wires and was in contact with the metal wires! Scary!

At least you found it!

#17 5 years ago

Re wires, hopefully remainder of house was done properly

#18 5 years ago
    Quoted from PinPatch:

Re wires, hopefully remainder of house was done properly

The good news is, the rest of the house was not built by the previous owners. Only the finished basement. And in the unfinished areas I can see that the same nonsense with electrical was not done. I'm guessing the bar was their own DIY hack job.

I spent $300 today on a reciprocating sawzall (well, the dewalt version) with 20v/60v etc. We have always had to borrow one before and this time the wife decided she'd rather we just finally buy one. My wife does a lot of wood working stuff actually, so she's the boss there!

#19 5 years ago
    Quoted from f3honda4me:

I tore off the countertop from the bar and as expected, code violation. They had an outlet completely drywalled inside and hidden, and lights that we thought were hard wired to a switch were actually plugged into the outlet and the outlet was on a switch.[quoted image]

Why are you so concerned about code violations? Sometimes there are safety issues, I get that. Just curious where you're coming from.

#20 5 years ago
    Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

Why are you so concerned about code violations? Sometimes there are safety issues, I get that. Just curious where you're coming from.

I don't care about code violations, I care about safety. I guess I should say "safety issue" instead of code violation as that's really what I'm talking about. There is a lot of nonsense in codes these days that wouldn't matter a bit when it comes to actual safety. Sorry, it's just from years of brainwashing that "code" is "for everyone's safety" when that's really a crock of you know what. haha

#21 5 years ago

Demo under way!

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
    #22 5 years ago

Wife doing some work

34CE6C75-A00C-4E72-8B0F-2BBA8273EF71 (resized).jpeg34CE6C75-A00C-4E72-8B0F-2BBA8273EF71 (resized).jpeg
    #23 5 years ago

Off to get paint

#24 5 years ago

Paint done. New underlay done.

#25 5 years ago

That poor bar, was actually nice it was outside of the room bc people could get away from the clanking and banging of the machines if they wanted to talk. You'll need some sort of space for people to congregate.

#26 5 years ago
    Quoted from Djshakes:

That poor bar, was actually nice it was outside of the room bc people could get away from the clanking and banging of the machines if they wanted to talk. You'll need some sort of space for people to congregate.

That bar wasn’t really a bar. It was painted brown plywood on some studs and cracking drywall. It was a hack job to try and sell the house when previous owners had it. It also was in the same area as my pins. So it wasn’t a noise escape. By moving the pins to the alcove we will have them away from the other half of the basement to create that escape.

#27 5 years ago

Progress

#28 5 years ago
    Quoted from f3honda4me:

Progress[quoted image]

Nice job having your wife lay flooring while you take pictures....lol

Looks good, I love tongue and groove in the basement, its like throwing together the worlds easisest puzzle.

#29 5 years ago
    Quoted from ralphwiggum:

Nice job having your wife lay flooring while you take pictures....lol
    Looks good, I love tongue and groove in the basement, its like throwing together the worlds easisest puzzle.

Yea the tongue and groove floating install is definitely the way to go! And my wife is pretty badass like that. Very handy.

#30 5 years ago

Getting close

#31 5 years ago

Why not ditch the carpet and have the whole floor match?

#32 5 years ago

This is probably a dumb question, but what exactly does the tape do when putting down a tongue and groove floor?

#33 5 years ago
    Quoted from Jenniebear:

Why not ditch the carpet and have the whole floor match?

No desire to do that much flooring right now lol.

Quoted from shirkle:

This is probably a dumb question, but what exactly does the tape do when putting down a tongue and groove floor?

We are using tongue and groove glue so the tape just is an added precaution to help it set.

#34 5 years ago
    Quoted from f3honda4me:

Paint done. New underlay done. [quoted image]

nice project- like the flooring. I guess no concerns with moisture or is that some sort of special underlay?

#35 5 years ago
    Quoted from zpinman370:

nice project- like the flooring. I guess no concerns with moisture or is that some sort of special underlay?

It’s a 3 in 1 underlay. Moisture barrier. Plus engineered hardwood flooring is more resilient to moisture and temp changes on concrete floor.

#37 5 years ago
    Quoted from Daditude:

Looks pretty good to me!

Thanks! On the last pieces now. Then done for the day. Tomorrow we will do the trim and then start planning out the pass through bar part.

I have a GotG premium coming Tuesday but my escalera isn’t here yet so not sure how I’m getting it downstairs lol. But once it gets here I’ll move all 3 pins to their new home in the alcove.

#38 5 years ago

Almost done.

#39 5 years ago

Love it when the wife pitch's in too. That's always a big help, except for when they start saying well we could do this Looking good!
    Sure enough, once we finished the garage with heat and ac, for the work shop, she wanted to change it to the game room! Had to sleep in the dog house for a couple nights. But she eventually got over it!

#40 5 years ago

Done! Next up, move pins plus get GOTG pin down here somehow.

#41 5 years ago

Nice start to your collection with the three you have now.

#42 5 years ago
    Quoted from drummermike:

Nice start to your collection with the three you have now.

Picking up Star Trek premium VE at MGC in April. Also plan to buy WOZ once I know when it will be available again.

#43 5 years ago
    Quoted from f3honda4me:

Picking up Star Trek premium VE at MGC in April. Also plan to buy WOZ once I know when it will be available again.

Nice. I have had some intense games on my ST! You will have fun with both of them.

#44 5 years ago
    Quoted from drummermike:

Nice. I have had some intense games on my ST! You will have fun with both of them.

Yea we played both on location quite a bit and really like both.

#45 5 years ago

Discussing options for the back room and pass through bar area. The wife wants a sink installed, however, plumbing that would be I think impossible since there is no rough in for drain, and access to hot water pipes is of course on the opposite side of the finished basement from where the sink would be. I'm thinking there is no way to do this without a LOT of work and cost.

#46 5 years ago

Is there any way you can tap into the main drain stack for the house?

#47 5 years ago
    Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

Is there any way you can tap into the main drain stack for the house?

Yes, but it's in the 1st floor joists (ceiling of the basement). The house has septic, and all the drains run to the septic tanks. There is a lift pump for some things, but that crock and lift pump are the complete opposite corner of the house. In the unifinished area right next to the room there is a main drain that runs through the joists that could be tapped into, but it would require the drain water to be pumped up and into that pipe. The sump pump is right next to the bar room, so drain wise I actually think we can do grey water into the sump pump. I think the more difficult part is the hot water.

#48 5 years ago
    Quoted from f3honda4me:

Yes, but it's in the 1st floor joists (ceiling of the basement). The house has septic, and all the drains run to the septic tanks. There is a lift pump for some things, but that crock and lift pump are the complete opposite corner of the house. In the unifinished area right next to the room there is a main drain that runs through the joists that could be tapped into, but it would require the drain water to be pumped up and into that pipe. The sump pump is right next to the bar room, so drain wise I actually think we can do grey water into the sump pump. I think the more difficult part is the hot water.

You could always consider a Sanflow system. Light duty for a sink and fairly low cost. I did this system in a previous house and it worked great. Basement is looking great and Wow impressed with the wife DIY. She is definitely a keeper.

http://go.saniflo.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIj_eP1t7J4AIV8R-tBh1MBQ_-EAAYASAAEgLGXvD_BwE

#49 5 years ago

Great progress and I’ll second Saniflow. We use one in our basement with a sink.

#50 5 years ago
    Quoted from Yelobird:

You could always consider a Sanflow system. Light duty for a sink and fairly low cost. I did this system in a previous house and it worked great. Basement is looking great and Wow impressed with the wife DIY. She is definitely a keeper.
    http://go.saniflo.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIj_eP1t7J4AIV8R-tBh1MBQ_-EAAYASAAEgLGXvD_BwE

That looks perfect for the draining! But it doesn't solve my hot water supply problem.

There are 79 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gameroom-remodeling?hl=jenniebear and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.