Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 92 posts
  • 47 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by hoov
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

GRmag2016 006 (resized).JPG
    GRmag2016 005 (resized).JPG
    GRmag2016 004 (resized).JPG
    GRmag2016 002 (resized).JPG
    GRmag2016 001 (resized).JPG
    Gameroom.png
    image.jpeg
    Capture.png
    image.jpg
    GRM.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider goatdan.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#62 8 years ago

I was surprised to get mine in the mail the other day because I have barely had time to look at Pinside much less do much of anything lately, but flipping through it, I have to say it looks very nice. It was a good thing they decided to "pay out" some of the remaining people because I can all but guarantee I would not have subscribed otherwise, and now I'm thinking that I might... That being said...

Quoted from Dayhuff:

I'm just hoping they went back there roots and dont have any of that gaming crap in it like before.....which is what killed the magazine in the first place.

I don't think this had anything to do with GR going away when it did. When GR died, we were in a totally different time. Stern was making very few machines and was dwindling in size (NBA, BBH, IM, all from this time). The arcade video world was cratering and games like Ms. Pac-Man that always held their value in the past could be had for like $300. There wasn't tons of content to be had that was brand "new", and while repair and history articles are great, there is only so big of a market for that.

Kevin attempted to expand the market by including other gameroom-related things like slot machines and home consoles. I personally could not care less about any slot related articles, but I found the home console stuff interesting as for me it crossed over.

As a whole though, the hobby was at a rough time, and it went under.

Now, GameRoom Magazine can be whatever it wants to be - it's not like Stern is pumping out less than 3000 machines a year, pinball has gained SO much more traction. Arcade video games, while not having taken off in price have stabilized, and there is becoming a market for making restoration parts for those. There is SO much more to talk about in the "home gameroom" world than there was.

I need to actually read through this one to see what I think about renewing, but if there is a time for a physical GameRoom type magazine to return, now is that time and I wish them all the luck in the world.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider goatdan.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gameroom-magazine-is-back-i-just-got-the-postcard?tu=goatdan and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.