Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 92 posts
  • 47 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by hoov
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

GRmag2016 006 (resized).JPG
    GRmag2016 005 (resized).JPG
    GRmag2016 004 (resized).JPG
    GRmag2016 002 (resized).JPG
    GRmag2016 001 (resized).JPG
    Gameroom.png
    image.jpeg
    Capture.png
    image.jpg
    GRM.jpg
    There are 92 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 9 years ago

I'll subscribe for sure but anyone know what the story is or did I miss it somewhere's already ?

John P. Dayhuff
    Battle Creek, Mi
    269-979-3836

#3 9 years ago

Thanks LTG. Did they actually put out the first copy like they said they were going to ?

John P. Dayhuff
    Battle Creek, Mi.
    269-979-3836

#4 9 years ago

No idea.

LTG : )™

#5 9 years ago

Maybe they can send the rest of my subscription that they owe me. Any idea of they are doing that?

#6 9 years ago

Yeah me too actually but thats all water under the bridge now as its been four years, plus its a new owner. I hope they make a go of it.

John P. Dayhuff
    Battle Creek, Mi.
    269-979-3836

#7 9 years ago

Ya I lost a full year.. I'll pay again but I need confirmation it's a go!

#8 9 years ago

I wonder if I'll get my old job back as Technical Editor ?

LTG : )™

#9 9 years ago

I know Brooke I'll see what's the deal

#10 9 years ago

I'm with you other guys. I had just renewed when they quit last publishing last time. Screwed me out of a year by giving some lame offer to view archives online. I would rather have had a cash refund! I'll probably not fall for it this time!

Jim

#11 9 years ago

eh dude should have changed the name. To much animosity sinced kevin "steal" f'd everybody over.

#12 9 years ago

I also got a post card. No problems here. I'm looking forward to it. I thought it was fair when the old publication stopped. I have every issue from 1989 to 2008 on my computer thanks to that!

#13 9 years ago

Guys it's no longer run by the same person.. Will be new owners using the old magazine name... Looking forward to seeing how they do

#14 9 years ago

Got mine too. Kevin S. did a nice job bringing it into color print. Loved it back in the day. Gonna hold off & get some reviews before considering a subscription again though.
    ~Steveo

GRM.jpgGRM.jpg
    #15 9 years ago

I was very happy to see the publication go pack into print. I remember when I got the letter telling all current subscribers we could have the entire back catalog in PDF. Not sure what happened to one files, but I remeber going back any reading some from the 80's.

#16 9 years ago

I had just done like a 2 or 3 year renewal right before they went out. I didn't see much for my money.

#17 9 years ago

Here's what I see... Judging by the postcard, the use of the name, and the artwork, Nic and Brooke bought the rights, art and mailing list from Kevin. I can only assume that means that Kevin got paid for this.

If Nic and Brooke wanted to start a magazine about gamerooms, they could have done that. By buying the name and rights they obviously wanted some sort of recognition and history. Well, along with that comes the bad part of that history of what happened to a *LOT* of subscribers when we got left hanging.

So, while I get where John is coming from, it was "water under the bridge" until this happened. Just because it's new owners, they don't get a pass. They knew the situation in which it ended and had to know there were a ton of people that were left hanging. If they didn't want to deal with it, they should have started a new magazine from scratch.

I was left with about a year left. There are some very realistic things they could do to fix it. If they don't do something like "Subscribe to a year and we'll add your remaining time to your subscription", I suspect most of us won't subscribe. I'm realistic enough to understand that they can't just restart and say "hey, 90% of our subscribe base is now free". But, they need to be realistic enough to understand that they bought history (good and bad).

Jaz

#18 9 years ago

anyplace online to subscribe?

#19 9 years ago

I agree w Jazman but will add, this

This is a new crew, no affiliation with the people that took your subscriptions money (like $20?). Don't penalize these guys, REWARD THEM FOR STARTING A GAMEROOM MAGAZINE?

I was out an entire year as well, woop de doo! I spent $30 a pizza and 2 beers (plus tip). I wish the new guys luck and truly hope this all comes to fruition, I will send my part to help them get this thing off the ground!

Hope my card comes soon.....

#20 9 years ago

I never subscribed to the original so I never got burned so I'd be willing to give the new owners a chance. I've never renewed any publications for 2-3 years.

#21 9 years ago

I got my card as well (posted pic in two groups when I got it, no one gave two shits lol)... I lost out on just a few months when they closed up shop, not as bad as others, but was happy with the archives they handed out for free to subscribers. I wish they were doing twelve issues, or even six, but looks like they are doing just four issues a year?? I will be subscribing, and wish the new owners luck in this venture as I used to look forward to Gameroom Magazine and read every issue cover to cover!

#22 9 years ago

After subscribing from the beginning, I bailed on my subscription near the end. Kevin asked for feedback on why I was leaving. I told him. He wasn't willing to give a discount for access to the files to someone who was an original subscriber and left two months before he ceased business. He didn't owe me a thing, but it just rubbed me wrong that after subscribing for so long.

I'll give the new guys a chance, but only after there is proof that Kevin is gone for good, and not trying to resurrect the business now that the hobby is healthy again.

#23 9 years ago

Back when gameroom was going down, Kevin offered the entire mag (subscription list) to me for free. To continue the magazine. So don't assume Kevin got paid for this, he may not of. Things are different 5 years later, but don't assume anything.

#24 9 years ago

I'd like an idea of what the content is supposed to be like, but I'd be open to throwing a few bucks there way if it is interesting.

#25 9 years ago

Happy to see this magazine return. Used to get this and PGJ for many years. I thought the offer of EVERY back issue as a downloadable pdf was a fair way to close things out, but I suppose it depends on if you had just re-subscribed. I look at these types of publications as a service to the pinball/gameroom community, rather than a money-maker for the publisher.

Wow...hard to believe it has been 5 years! Thanks for mentioning that, Clay.

Matt

#27 9 years ago

For those of us that never got Gameroom Magazine, what is the content supposed to be? Is it stuff that I wouldn't have already read on Pinside?

#28 9 years ago
    Quoted from ovfdfireman:

I agree w Jazman but will add, this
    This is a new crew, no affiliation with the people that took your subscriptions money (like $20?). Don't penalize these guys, REWARD THEM FOR STARTING A GAMEROOM MAGAZINE?
    I was out an entire year as well, woop de doo! I spent $30 a pizza and 2 beers (plus tip). I wish the new guys luck and truly hope this all comes to fruition, I will send my part to help them get this thing off the ground!
    Hope my card comes soon.....

They bought the old magazine...Including the old subscriber list, their data etc potentially even their liabililities. I'd love to subscribe (and probably will) but it would be nice if they threw a bone to those that paid for subs and got burned last time around.

#29 9 years ago

Would be nice if they at least let old subscribers download a PDF of the first issue. I will probably subscribe but would like to at least get a feel for a magazine I will only see four times a year.

#30 9 years ago

Just got my postcard, I'm signing on.

#31 9 years ago

Same here, received half my subscription and then a postcard saying it was done, over...Kaput and no refund?

#32 9 years ago

I have received a few emails regarding what to do about those who were owed issues. I am one of those people, so I understand. I know how many issues were owed and those owed more than a year will get a free year with a paid subscription. I do not expect this magazine to be a profitable venture for us, but I was hoping someone would bring it back and got tired of waiting. I hope everyone likes what we do with it.

http://www.thepinballcompany.com/subscribe.aspx

#33 9 years ago

OK I just signed up. Hope it's worth it.

#34 9 years ago
    Quoted from PinballCompany:

I have received a few emails regarding what to do about those who were owed issues. I am one of those people, so I understand. I know how many issues were owed and those owed more than a year will get a free year with a paid subscription. I do not expect this magazine to be a profitable venture for us, but I was hoping someone would bring it back and got tired of waiting. I hope everyone likes what we do with it.

Completely reasonable. I'm on board.

Good luck with the venture and I'm sure there are plenty here willing to lend their time and efforts in any way they can (myself included).

#35 9 years ago
    Quoted from Fast-Ed:

Just got my postcard, I'm signing on.

Yeah, I'll jump on board and give it a looksee.

#36 9 years ago

I must be blind because I cannot find a subscription rate on the card or website.
    To those that have signed up, what is the going rate? Hopefully a bit less than Pinball Magazine.

#37 9 years ago

The rate is on this first page, 4 issues per year for only $24

#38 9 years ago
    Quoted from thepinballworks:

The rate is on this first page, 4 issues per year for only $24

Thanks, my ADD caused me to miss that line. Sounds good.

#39 9 years ago

Will it ship to Canada? I'm thinking about giving it a try

3 months later
    #40 8 years ago

so whats the story with this, did it end up shipping? any good?

#41 8 years ago

I got this email a few weeks ago from them;

"We are excited to inform you that the first issue of GameRoom Magazine in 5 years is ready to hit the presses. We appreciate your support and patience while we produced this issue and hope you love our work!"

#42 8 years ago

Deleted

#43 8 years ago

I think it at the bottom right of that link, but also here;
    http://www.gameroommagazine.net/

#44 8 years ago

Huh. That site is weird..basically just a paypal checkout site.

Hope the issue is good. Really loved the original GM mag and hope this one ends up solid too.

#45 8 years ago
    Quoted from Pinfactory2000:

Huh. That site is weird..basically just a paypal checkout site.

I would definitely give it a try but the site does not have much (/any) info on it.
    Will they send it to the Netherlands and, if yes, for how much?
    How many pages are there in an issue?

I think there would definitely be a demand for such a magazine but they need to spread the word.

#47 8 years ago

I'm out. I paid for two years and only received 2 calendars. I'm gun shy.

#48 8 years ago
    Quoted from Kolchak357:

I'm out. I paid for two years and only received 2 calendars. I'm gun shy.

You're talking about Pin Game Journal. The publisher became very ill. It is mainly a one man operation. He has been recovering and should resume editing and publishing. I believe he would refund the pro-rated subscription value if you ask.

#49 8 years ago

Yeah, Gameroom Mag never did calendars that I can remember. I paid for my subscription yesterday. Looking forward to it!

1 week later
    #50 8 years ago

It has arrived;
    image.jpgimage.jpg

There are 92 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gameroom-magazine-is-back-i-just-got-the-postcard and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.