(Topic ID: 271140)

Gameroom in the garage - Who does that..

By Viperbsd

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 48 posts
  • 29 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by yancy
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20200315_132425_MP (resized).jpg
    image (resized).png
    image-1 (resized).png
    image-2 (resized).png
    E8A722FC-6EB7-4BF4-92F5-157D5B32A89A (resized).jpeg
    lineup (resized).jpg
    30652D9F-2483-4763-8F7E-27048A11E4AF (resized).jpeg
    hot tub  (resized).png
    61803733-CE22-45F0-B9B4-6BDC048DC897 (resized).jpeg
    20200611_165233 (resized).jpg
    20200408_132053 (resized).jpg
    0C5D8A0B-5B2C-4433-96D0-1F052226736D (resized).jpeg
    ZvAfeNCVTn-EeRSGJgFZ5g (resized).jpg
    7385CA59-1B7F-4A52-A709-6EA3572E4FDD (resized).jpeg
    C73DB314-869C-4F09-B98F-198233A56FEA (resized).jpeg
    A0BBFEFD-5900-4A62-837F-684B8334F82B (resized).jpeg
    #1 3 years ago

Currently I have my pins in my large upstairs den. Since I work from home I enjoy having them in my home office with me, but when it comes to getting one of them up or down stairs it is quite the event.

My staircase has a 90 degree turn 1/2 way up and due to this I have hired movers anytime I need to move one up or down the stairs. The movers have always used a strap system to get them up and down, but I am thinking it might just be easier to convert 1/2 my garage to be a game room as I plan to grow my collection in the coming months.

I am curious to hear from others that have done this and how do they like them being in the garage? Also how do you keep the garage cooled/heated.

#2 3 years ago

I never liked garage game rooms. Garage is for your second biggest Purchase, the car or truck...

If your short on space I could see it.
    To me the basement is where it's at.

Edit: change to Purchase

#3 3 years ago

I had mine in the house and quickly ran out of room. Fortunately I have a lot of acreage, so built an 1,800 sq.ft. outbuilding about 30 years ago. Put garage doors on it for easy loading/unloading. Heat/AC, plumbing, water, electric, etc. Not really a fan of garage game rooms either.

#4 3 years ago

an Escalera might be a good investment if there is enough room to make the turn on the stairs. or set up a pulley system with a winch

#5 3 years ago
    Quoted from PunkPin:

an Escalera might be a good investment if there is enough room to make the turn on the stairs. or set up a pulley system with a winch

I looked into this, but unfortunately there is not enough room with the turn. We did move one upstairs on a normal appliance dolly and it was just able to make the turn.

Might just have to continue as usual and call on my movers whenever needed. I have room or 2 more in the Den, but than I will have to start to branch out to other parts of the house, or garage...

#6 3 years ago

I have a similar set up to OP. It really stinks out in California not having basements. Use a 15 foot material is lift every time there’s a switch up. Up and over the balcony railing they go. They used to be 50 bucks per day for a rental. Unfortunately went up to 75 bucks. But it fit in the back of the Honda Pilot So I don’t even need to buy a truck.

Agree with the above post, the garage just doesn’t seem to be the best place.

B4EAC8FE-48DB-4E05-9B8D-6C1998F599AE (resized).jpegB4EAC8FE-48DB-4E05-9B8D-6C1998F599AE (resized).jpeg
    #7 3 years ago

If you get rid of the kitchen table, you can fit 4 back to back, and dining rooms are overrated. Who said all your pins need to be in one room?

#8 3 years ago

I know the feeling, i put my first pinball upstairs, the 2nd my wife was so nice as to allow it in the living room so i wouldn't have to lift it up the stairs with the neighbor again, and the 3rd just barely fit next to that one in the living room and again was OK'd by the missus.

Now i want to add more but the only place to put them is upstairs... I've seriously considered adding a section to the ground floor of the house, but then I'd have no more money for the new pins haha, decisions decisions...

#9 3 years ago
    Quoted from SDpinballer:

I have a similar set up to OP. It really stinks out in California not having basements. Use a 15 foot material is lift every time there’s a switch up. Up and over the balcony railing they go. They used to be 50 bucks per day for a rental. Unfortunately went up to 75 bucks. But it fit in the back of the Honda Pilot So I don’t even need to buy a truck.
    Agree with the above post, the garage just doesn’t seem to be the best place.
    [quoted image]

Well this is interesting... Do you happen to know how wide the feet are ? I do not have an outside upstairs balcony, but if I could get that in through my front door I have 20' ceilings and it would be a breeze to put it up to the top of the stairs as I have a large area up there.

#10 3 years ago
    Quoted from Viperbsd:

Well this is interesting... Do you happen to know how wide the feet are ? I do not have an outside upstairs balcony, but if I could get that in through my front door I have 30' ceilings and it would be a breeze to put it up to the top of the stairs as I have a large area up there.

Funny, but not so funny situation. We just did Pinball moving this last weekend, and I was supposed to have returned the rental. this conversation reminded me that it’s still in the damn car! that’s gonna cost me. Three days late on the rental. Grrrrrrr.

Anyway, it appears to be 29 inches in width which makes it accessible to a regular doorway. It’s just, when you get it up to height, the forks on the bottom have to be able to wheel/move forward underneath the level that you’re lifting up to. When I’m doing it, they are easily able to slide into the garage.

56DBC52F-B848-468A-AA7F-A83EA5C872C3 (resized).jpeg56DBC52F-B848-468A-AA7F-A83EA5C872C3 (resized).jpegE6EB59F5-2DDD-42C2-9529-27074656ECFB (resized).jpegE6EB59F5-2DDD-42C2-9529-27074656ECFB (resized).jpeg
    #11 3 years ago

For now its the only choice I have.

How does it work? Pretty well actually, Its easy access from the house to play, and easy access in and out to move them. Also easy to work on them.

I don't have any other place to put them. A basement is a mythical thing we have heard of in California, but never see.

How to handle heating and cooling? Live where its basically the same temp all year round!

Around here no one puts their cars in the garage. Unless they have a classic or a hot rod, those guys always do.

BV-MC-SS (resized).jpgBV-MC-SS (resized).jpg
    #12 3 years ago

Your in Elk Grove? You'll be fine. I had 3 EM's in the garage way back in the day and thought that would be it.
    Now they are everywhere. I married the right woman......

Bon Voyage. My first pin! (xsvtoys)

#13 3 years ago

oops....Your? my bad

#14 3 years ago

I can only fit 17 in the gameroom, so there are usually a hand full of projects out in the garage. In Florida there is a problem with heat and humidity. Fortunately my house is really well insulated and I only leave the garage doors open long enough to get my cars in or out and nothing more.

#15 3 years ago

Most of my games are in the garage. Insulated attic and doors. Mini split A/C plus a separate wall fan. Works great! Other than mosquitoes getting in there.

#16 3 years ago

SDpinballer - Ouch - Well at least it is only going to be 3 days late.

This looks like it may be the answer to getting some of my machines up to my office and if I out grow the office (which I will) I can start to put some in the garage.

#17 3 years ago

Mine are in the garage. It is heated and cooled so nothing to worry about. The vehicles last longer outside than the pinball machines.

61BD2037-FAC9-4819-A241-24FB9C1E1015 (resized).jpeg61BD2037-FAC9-4819-A241-24FB9C1E1015 (resized).jpeg
    #18 3 years ago

Have a few pieces in the garage. Mostly have setup for when people are over for card games and cigars. The family friendly items are in game room in basement level all rooms have central air and heat. We also enjoy opening up garage doors when weather is nice and get some fresh air.

7385CA59-1B7F-4A52-A709-6EA3572E4FDD (resized).jpeg7385CA59-1B7F-4A52-A709-6EA3572E4FDD (resized).jpegC73DB314-869C-4F09-B98F-198233A56FEA (resized).jpegC73DB314-869C-4F09-B98F-198233A56FEA (resized).jpegA0BBFEFD-5900-4A62-837F-684B8334F82B (resized).jpegA0BBFEFD-5900-4A62-837F-684B8334F82B (resized).jpeg
    #19 3 years ago

Garage = Pinball

ZvAfeNCVTn-EeRSGJgFZ5g (resized).jpgZvAfeNCVTn-EeRSGJgFZ5g (resized).jpg
    #20 3 years ago

I have some games in the garage...built in gas heater and window AC in the summer. I like being able to play anytime of the day or night without disturbing the family. Especially since I like playing late night and having a beer

#21 3 years ago

First off, Dam! Some of you are Really committed to this hobby! Movers and man lift rentals is All in wow. That would be tough to get used to. Question for the tight stairs guys. Why not just take the backbox off your games? Way lighter, smaller, and really not that hard to do with photos and a short amount of time. As for the garage setups. Considered expanding that route myself and think it’s definitely different depending on where you live. CA, no problem. Chicago a bit tough at minus 35 degrees lol. I’m considering the DIY MrCool system if I go the garage route. Rather cheap and does heat and cool.
    0C5D8A0B-5B2C-4433-96D0-1F052226736D (resized).jpeg0C5D8A0B-5B2C-4433-96D0-1F052226736D (resized).jpeg

#22 3 years ago
    Quoted from Yelobird:

First off, Dam! Some of you are Really committed to this hobby! Movers and man lift rentals is All in wow. That would be tough to get used to. Question for the tight stairs guys. Why not just take the backbox off your games? Way lighter, smaller, and really not that hard to do with photos and a short amount of time. As for the garage setups. Considered expanding that route myself and think it’s definitely different depending on where you live. CA, no problem. Chicago a bit tough at minus 35 degrees lol. I’m considering the DIY MrCool system if I go the garage route. Rather cheap and does heat and cool.
    [quoted image]

I do take the backbox off, and since that means the playfield can be removed I bring that upstairs separately as well, but to give an indication of how tight my stairs are, a new stern still in the box would barely fit the width of the staircase, but there is a 90 degree turn after 3 steps, and again at the top of the stairs so a Stern in box wouldn't be able to make the turn... So there's space for about 2 or 3 more pins upstairs but I am really not looking forward to getting pins up there

#23 3 years ago
    Quoted from SR230CC:

Mine are in the garage. It is heated and cooled so nothing to worry about. The vehicles last longer outside than the pinball machines.
    [quoted image]

Your Jurassic Park looks weird... Is it a digital pin?

#24 3 years ago
    Quoted from Yelobird:

Why not just take the backbox off your games? Way lighter, smaller, and really not that hard to do with photos and a short amount of time.

This has definitely been considered. I would think this route would be a little more difficult and would have to borrow someone for a longer period of time to help move the cabinets. There’s also the possibility of Scratching/marking up the stairs. The materials lift I think saves time and can do it all myself (with exception of lifting the machine onto or off of the forks. And no disassembly/assembly required.

#25 3 years ago

You work with what you have sometimes..

Ac for keeping cool and well insulated and attached to house, never gets below 50 degrees.

20200408_132053 (resized).jpg20200408_132053 (resized).jpg

20200611_165233 (resized).jpg20200611_165233 (resized).jpg
    #26 3 years ago
    Quoted from Novastorm:

Your Jurassic Park looks weird... Is it a digital pin?

Yes. Home built virtual pinball

#27 3 years ago

I’m lucky enough to have a four stall garage with a wall in between. My pins are in the half that are heated and cooled

61803733-CE22-45F0-B9B4-6BDC048DC897 (resized).jpeg61803733-CE22-45F0-B9B4-6BDC048DC897 (resized).jpeg
    #28 3 years ago
    Quoted from chad:

I never liked garage game rooms. Garage is for your second biggest investment, the car or truck...

If the garage is for my second biggest investment... that would be pinball. My pins are worth a heck of a lot more than my car, and I drive a decent car.

But for the record, I have pins in the garage, but I don't like them there. It's just a matter of storage space. My second bedroom, my basement, and my living room all have pins in them.

#29 3 years ago
    Quoted from Yelobird:

First off, Dam! Some of you are Really committed to this hobby!

You excavated an expansion under your house. YOU are committed

#30 3 years ago
    Quoted from DaveH:

If the garage is for my second biggest investment... that would be pinball. My pins are worth a heck of a lot more than my car, and I drive a decent car.
    But for the record, I have pins in the garage, but I don't like them there. It's just a matter of storage space. My second bedroom, my basement, and my living room all have pins in them.

Not to nag, but that's exactly what he said, your pins are the biggest investment, car is your second biggest

#31 3 years ago

I always wanted a seperate pole barn, complete with pinball collection, bar, projector screen maybe even a hot tub. My own personal oasis.

hot tub  (resized).pnghot tub (resized).png
    #32 3 years ago
    Quoted from chad:

Garage is for your second biggest investment, the car or truck...

It got me thinking, since when did a car or truck become an investment? It costs 5-10k to turn the key the first time and it's all downhill from there. As someone else said on the thread, my pins are worth a whole lot more than my '07 Mustang.

#33 3 years ago

I have mine in garage as well. Granted, my garage is a 4-car (2x2 deep). Front half for 2 cars, back half for my games and entertainment.

Being not too far from you, I know the climate you’re dealing with. The garage gets toasty in the Summer, jacket in the Winter. Spring and Fall perfection. 95% of the time, I’m not flippin’ until at least the later evening because of work and Dadding, so the temps don’t bother me much. In hotter times, I have a 24” round floor standing fan that I use to quickly churn the air between the big garage door and back door prior to hunkering down. Does the trick. In the colder times, I’m comfortable in a long sleeve shirt or flannel. Sometimes even a t-shirt is fine once the ya get moving around.

This was the area of the house I was granted for my space, either had to adapt or have nothing. Once the kids move on in life, I will slide my way in to a vacated downstairs bedroom. But even then, I like it out here, I probably won’t even move. I can be loud and not bother anyone. Plus enough space for additions. If only we had basements out here like they do back East. Such a rarity here.

(There was a TZ next to GB, but vacated space waiting for R&M)

30652D9F-2483-4763-8F7E-27048A11E4AF (resized).jpeg30652D9F-2483-4763-8F7E-27048A11E4AF (resized).jpeg

#34 3 years ago
    Quoted from dri:

It got me thinking, since when did a car or truck become an investment? It costs 5-10k to turn the key the first time and it's all downhill from there. As someone else said on the thread, my pins are worth a whole lot more than my '07 Mustang.

Ok you got me. I should state second largest purchase.

#35 3 years ago

Only place I have for games. That's life in a rental place. Works fine for me. Also have a couch in the garage, so it's rather comfortable to chill there, drink beer(from the beer fridge in the garage as well) and play until the neighbors complain

lineup (resized).jpglineup (resized).jpg
    #36 3 years ago
    Quoted from DruTheFu:

I have mine in garage as well. Granted, my garage is a 4-car (2x2 deep). Front half for 2 cars, back half for my games and entertainment.
    Being not too far from you, I know the climate you’re dealing with. The garage gets toasty in the Summer, jacket in the Winter. Spring and Fall perfection. 95% of the time, I’m not flippin’ until at least the later evening because of work and Dadding, so the temps don’t bother me much. In hotter times, I have a 24” round floor standing fan that I use to quickly churn the air between the big garage door and back door prior to hunkering down. Does the trick. In the colder times, I’m comfortable in a long sleeve shirt or flannel. Sometimes even a t-shirt is fine once the ya get moving around.
    This was the area of the house I was granted for my space, either had to adapt or have nothing. Once the kids move on in life, I will slide my way in to a vacated downstairs bedroom. But even then, I like it out here, I probably won’t even move. I can be loud and not bother anyone. Plus enough space for additions. If only we had basements out here like they do back East. Such a rarity here.
    (There was a TZ next to GB, but vacated space waiting for R&M)
    [quoted image]

Wow that looks amazing ! I like how some of these garages are setup, but in my case I only have a 2 car and a single car garage.

As for removing the back box I had thought of doing this, but I would be freaked out to take something like my MMRE apart to move it upstairs and I also wonder if taking it apart would jeopardize the warranty at all.

I am still looking into the idea of the equipment lift as it appears that would work really well, but only until I out grow my home office.

I am impressed with some of these garages that have been transformed into game rooms as they look amazing.

#37 3 years ago
    Quoted from Viperbsd:

I also wonder if taking it apart would jeopardize the warranty at all.

Just don't tell 'em you did it.

#38 3 years ago

I definitely have a bug zapper in my garage, since I still use it to house two cars. All it takes is one mosquito to slip in and I will get bitten up while working on the games. That thing works great too!!

#39 3 years ago
    Quoted from Novastorm:

Not to nag, but that's exactly what he said, your pins are the biggest investment, car is your second biggest

I always assume house to be the biggest. But if pin prices keep going up...

#40 3 years ago
    Quoted from PunkPin:

an Escalera might be a good investment if there is enough room to make the turn on the stairs.

Would this type of landing be fine for Escalara?

E8A722FC-6EB7-4BF4-92F5-157D5B32A89A (resized).jpegE8A722FC-6EB7-4BF4-92F5-157D5B32A89A (resized).jpeg

#41 3 years ago
    Quoted from DaveH:

I always assume house to be the biggest. But if pin prices keep going up...

Agreed, but how many people keep their house in their garage? So i still think he was saying cars should go in garages instead of pins... Wish he'd just said that, saving us all this discussion, i think he edited it though so perhaps we can stop thinking about it now

#42 3 years ago
    Quoted from rai:

I've seen it done. Depends on the exact dimensions, if there's enough room to rotate on the landing.

#43 3 years ago
    Quoted from rai:

[quoted image]

As noted, depends on dimensions. I have done similar and looks ok from pictures. I would make a suggestion that worked for me. Place a small round rug or moving blanket on that landing. When you get to that point with game strapped to Escalara set it down, spin game (like Batmobile in Batcave) and continue to next landing. Doubt you'll be able to just walk it around that turn otherwise. Good luck.

#44 3 years ago

Those are some bitchin garages!

I live in MT so the winters get pretty cold. And the room is already pretty tight in there. I'm hoping to have my basement finished within a month or two and that will be where my start to collecting will begin.

#45 3 years ago

We live in MI...we all (most) have basements here. I am are are lucky to have a decent size ranch home with a basement with what I thought as the time as a "game room" well ...then I met the Mi guys..That wa 15 or so yrs ago who taught me "get rid of that sectional couch and other crap, make room for pins" Words of wisdom : ) Ha..This is really what basements are for here! If I didn't have a basement and still have room for the kids I would have a garage full of pins and no place for the cars thru the shitty Mi winters. Thx Guys!!! Saved my pins and cars. Win win

#46 3 years ago

I put down dri-core and carpet and put an insulated wall right on top of the original insulated wall. That way I can strip any traces of the arcade out if i want to sell. the big door and door tracks are enclosed in an insulated wall/ceiling as well. It's -30C here in the winter and my little space heater does run a lot but i can keep it comfortable all year round. right now in the summer it's nice and cool in here and i also work at a desk out here now as well.

image (resized).pngimage (resized).pngimage-1 (resized).pngimage-1 (resized).pngimage-2 (resized).pngimage-2 (resized).png
    #47 3 years ago

Finishing up the conversion now. Floors will be sealed with acrylic sealer to limit any moisture. Had it fully insulated and installed a 36k Mr Cool unit like shown above. Not yet sure how it will keep up in the winter, but I don't expect any issues in the summer short of having a party with everything running.

IMG_20200315_132425_MP (resized).jpgIMG_20200315_132425_MP (resized).jpg
    #48 3 years ago
    Quoted from lastlight:

I put down dri-core and carpet and put an insulated wall right on top of the original insulated wall.

Looks cozy, I love it. Reminds me of an '80s mom & pop arcade with the blue wall, faux brick & mood lighting.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gameroom-in-the-garage-who-does-that and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.