(Topic ID: 2231)

Gameroom electrical questions ...

By gweempose

13 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

2.jpg
    1.jpg
    IMG_0264.jpg
    #1 13 years ago

At some point in the near future, I will be hiring an electrician to do some work in my gameroom. Besides installing some lighting, I plan on having him run several dedicated circuits for my pins. How many pins can I have on a single breaker? Also, is there anything else I should have the electrician do to improve or futureproof my gameroom?

#2 13 years ago

I think a pin uses like 2-4 amps in attract and gameplay mode. This could be a little less depending if you've got LEDs installed. If you wanted to be exact you could use a clamp on ampmeter at one of the 120 legs feeding the PSU on each of your pins.

A standard residential breaker is 15 amps. So you're looking at maybe 3 possibly 4 pins per breaker.

You also do not want to run a breaker at full capacity. If using a 15, I would keep the constant load under 12. Depending how many pins you have, may want to go with 20 amp breaker. Again not running a full load of 20 amps.

#3 13 years ago

We had a dedicated sub board put in.
    63 amp main breaker and individual 16 amp breakers.
    Approx 10 double outlets, placed around the room.
    The only pin that occassionally trips a breaker is STTNG, it draws about 4.8 amps during normal play.
    The main breaker is 3 phase, then the load was shed over the 16 amp single phase breakers.
    IMG_0264.jpgIMG_0264.jpg

#4 13 years ago

This of course was overkill, still not sure if we are going to extend the room, it was installed on the thinking that we would.
    I have not measured the current draw at full load, but with all pins on, beer fridge, lights and A/C all on, based on pins drawing 3 amps, i would estimate approx 36 amps.
    This does not happen often though.

#5 13 years ago

You are a sick twisted pinhead Leigh

There are people here that still live with 50 Amp service and screw in fuses.

#6 13 years ago

thats some nice info guys,
    looks good Leigh - wish I would of planned for a few pinball machines when I gutted / re -built my place years ago.

#7 13 years ago

Thanks for the feedback, guys! So it sounds like I should definitely be OK if I plan on running a separate 20 amp circuit for every 3-4 pins. What do you guys suggest as far as lighting?

#8 13 years ago

Quote: "What do you guys suggest as far as lighting? "

Disco balls and lots and lots of strobe lights and lasers

#9 13 years ago

The biggest issues with pins and lighting is glare. As such I'd recommend some sort of indirect track lighting. You know, have the light shield underneath the bulb instead of over it. So you don't actually see the light source directly. This will allow you to softly illuminate the ceiling and cut down on glare on pinball glass. Perhaps place fixtures in corners and not directly over machines.

Some people like playing pins in the dark, but I actually prefer some soft ambient lighting. Easier to track the ball and cuts down on eye strain.

#10 13 years ago

Hey, my house has screw-in fuses. Replaced them with pennies!! (Just kidding). But it still does have the old service along with a new 100-amp service. Go figure.

Folks like me play the pins with the lights off - makes for more fun and easier on my old wiring too. Win win. Added bonus: you look better in the dark...at least that's what she said.

#11 13 years ago

a disco ball sounds like fun but perhaps distracting on the playfield.

#12 13 years ago

I would go with a 30 amp split plug/breaker double pole like in most kitchen outlets.
    An electrical outlet with two plug ports can be wired to one circuit, or it can be split to two separate circuits. The split wiring arrangement has electric advantages for appliances that consume large amounts of electricity and outlets used to plug in six socket surge protectors.

You could even put GFI plugs in to protect against ground faults surges or brownouts, rather than surge strips/powerbars.

1.jpg1.jpg 2.jpg2.jpg

#13 13 years ago

Hmmm. Ive had 5-6 pins running on a 15 amp and not had a problem. Go figure

#14 13 years ago

I would have them install at least a 20A line which is current code. Modern pins typically run at about 2.8A in attract mode and can peak at 8A but I imagine that is rare, such as during a wizard mode. 4-5 pins should be no problem under typical playing. 6 pins at once means only 3.3A available for each pin which isn't much room for error.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gameroom-electrical-questions and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.