New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 119381)

GameRoom Ceiling Options

By Gritty

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 58 posts
  • 26 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by mac622
  • Topic is favorited by 8 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 41 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

BL-2.jpg
    BL-1.jpg
    A-2.jpg
    B-2.jpg
    A-1.jpg
    B-1.jpg
    Base 4.jpg
    Base 1.jpg
    Base 2.jpg
    Base 3.jpg
    IMGP0441.JPG
    IMGP0442.JPG
    IMGP0268.JPG
    IMGP0255.JPG
    IMGP0183.JPG
    GR 13.JPG

There are 58 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 5 years ago

My basement Gameroom has a 7ft ceiling. I just removed a drop ceiling to gain about 6 inches. I was thinking about going with a snap in drop ceiling but can't decide if I want to go white or black. I heard that a black ceiling will give you the illusion of a taller space. Has anyone gone with a black ceiling? Any regrets?

#2 5 years ago
    Quoted from Gritty:

I was thinking about going with a snap in drop ceiling but can't decide if I want to go white or black.

If you have standard wood joist system I would go NO drop cieling and paint ceiling black...done it twice and it's great.

#3 5 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

If you have standard wood joist system I would go NO drop cieling and paint ceiling black...done it twice and it's great

+1 on that. I will be doing the same thing myself. I've got 7' ceiling and thought about doing drop but I did not want to lose the height.

#4 5 years ago

Plus with the exposed rafters, it makes it easier to staple the bras to. (new female visitor initiation)?

#5 5 years ago
    Quoted from z28dan:

Plus with the exposed rafters, it makes it easier to staple the bras to. (new female visitor initiation)?

Or run cables/wires, neon, more can lights, pull up bar?, speakers etc etc...

Take a look OP...man I need to update that thread

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gameroom-coming-upongoing

#6 5 years ago

I agree. Paint it flat black, it will raise the ceiling.

#7 5 years ago

My gameroom is dropped and flat black. I was able to install at a 3in minimum clearance. I wanted to hide all the house wiring.

I also used old playfields as ceiling tiles.
    20140827_174844.jpg
    20140827_174821.jpg

#8 5 years ago

I thought about just painting the rafters but I need the sound barrier. I like the recessed blacklights.

#9 5 years ago
    Quoted from Gritty:

I thought about just painting the rafters but I need the sound barrier..

What aboot rigid foam in the joists? Don't know how much sound dampening that has...but don;t know how much a drop does either.

#10 5 years ago

here is some pics of my ceiling as well ...the basement is still a work in progress but you get the idea of a black suspended ceiling surrounded by bulkheads with led lighting....there are 4 different sections but have 2 shown

IMG_0350.JPG IMG_0351.JPG IMG_0342.JPG IMG_0345.JPG
    #11 5 years ago

I just stuffed soundproofing insulation (fiberglass batting) between the ceiling joists. It made a huge difference, you can only hear the pin noise coming from the furnace vents and stairwell. My 4yr old sleeps right above the machines.

#12 5 years ago

Paint it flat back.

image.jpg image-356.jpg image-74.jpg
    #13 5 years ago

WE just finished our 1700 sq foot basement, sprayed the ceiling flat black. $300 total, including the $99 sprayer rental. Everyone comments on it. It looks great. Wiring/ductwork etc just disappIMG_20140810_201619_328.jpgears. IMG_20140810_201810_239.jpg

#14 5 years ago

I'd fully recommend a dark and non-reflective ceiling with the pins below.
    ~Steveo

#15 5 years ago

Kinda before and after......the white crown molding really sets it off.

IMG_20140528_112611_831.jpg
    IMG_20140528_132111_545.jpg
    IMG_20140607_202441_467.jpg
    IMG_20140810_201931_884.jpg
    IMG_20140810_202139_698.jpg

#16 5 years ago

Don's arcade is real nice. I wish I would've talked to him about his ceiling before I did mine with a roller!

#17 5 years ago

I went a different route.... I went metal flashing with random orbital....PDR_0195.JPGPDR_0338.JPG

#18 5 years ago
    Quoted from huo:

Don's arcade is real nice. I wish I would've talked to him about his ceiling before I did mine with a roller!

You're young, my back couldn't have handled it, i HAD to think outside the box....lol.....

#19 5 years ago
    Quoted from ralphwiggum:

I went a different route.... I went metal flashing with random orbital....

Thats sharp, I bet it looks cool with the game lights reflecting off it....

PDR_0195.JPG 165 KB

PDR_0338.JPG 125 KB

#20 5 years ago
    Quoted from pinzrfun:

Thats sharp, I bet it looks cool with the game lights reflecting off it.

Thanks, I have red led rope light and blacklights all the way around and the metal ceiling does a good job of spreading that light.

152867-i.jpg

#21 5 years ago
    Quoted from ralphwiggum:

I went a different route.... I went metal flashing with random orbital....

PDR_0195.JPG 165 KB
    PDR_0338.JPG 125 KB

I really like the orbital sanding look on metal panels you did... nicely done!

#22 5 years ago
    Quoted from pinzrfun:

Crown molding is a great idea to offset the black and make the ceiling look even bigger! Going to have to do the same to my space once I get to finishing it.

#23 5 years ago
    Quoted from supercombo:

Crown molding is a great idea to offset the black and make the ceiling look even bigger! Going to have to do the same to my space once I get to finishing it.

Paint the molding before you put it up. You dont want to be painting white against flat black, you will be touchingmit up forever.

And no, I didnt do that.

#24 5 years ago

pinzrfun is that brick paneling or something, looks good.

#25 5 years ago

My gameroom ceiling option is... remove all toppers

#26 5 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Or run cables/wires, neon, more can lights, pull up bar?, speakers etc etc...
    Take a look OP...man I need to update that thread
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gameroom-coming-upongoing

Last update 5 months....yes you do.

#27 5 years ago

Flat black

#28 5 years ago

My ceiling is exposed beams and walls are painted flat black with uv carpet on the floor. I also have lit and unlit playfields on the walls and the ceiling and a few game cab and backbox decals mounted on MetalMax on the walls and ceiling also. It looks like there is no wall behind the games when it's painted black and with a flouresent uv bulb under each game they look like they are floating on the uv carpet.

GR 4 (2).JPG
    GR 14.JPG
    IMGA0695.JPG
    3 PF.JPG
    GR 11.JPG
    GR12.JPG
    GR 13.JPG

#29 5 years ago
    Quoted from Gritty:

can't decide if I want to go white or black

Careful...I hear if you pick one of those you can never go back

#30 5 years ago
    Quoted from ktrain315:

pinzrfun is that brick paneling or something, looks good.

Yep, thats all it is, and thanks. There's actually finished/primed drywall behind it so when we sell we can remove the paneling and just paint it. Probably not everyone would want the brick. Works great for Pinball Alley though!
    !

1 week later
    #31 5 years ago
    Quoted from pinzrfun:

Did you paint the high-hats as well or did you mask them off? I was going to put a drop ceiling in but after seeing everyone's flat-black pics I really liking that look instead. I would also have to build a bunch of soffits for the drop ceiling so painting if black would save of bunch of time (and $$) as well.

#32 5 years ago
    Quoted from MustangPaul:

My ceiling is exposed beams and walls are painted flat black with uv carpet on the floor. I also have lit and unlit playfields on the walls and the ceiling and a few game cab and backbox decals mounted on MetalMax on the walls and ceiling also. It looks like there is no wall behind the games when it's painted black and with a flouresent uv bulb under each game they look like they are floating on the uv carpet.

Who did you buy your carpet from and is it a roll or carpet tiles? I know Astro and Caldwell sell the Joy line of UV carpet tiles but looking for other possible options. Thanks

#33 5 years ago
    Quoted from z28dan:

I was going to say something about insulation, but with enough Bras that could suffice.

I have a problem at our house with noise transfering to sleeping family members, so i plan on insulating and covering the ceiling up soon.

-c

#34 5 years ago
    Quoted from mac622:

Did you paint the high-hats as well or did you mask them off? I was going to put a drop ceiling in but after seeing everyone's flat-black pics I really liking that look instead. I would also have to build a bunch of soffits for the drop ceiling so painting if black would save of bunch of time (and $$) as well.

By High-Hats do you mean the light fixtures? If so unless you're going with an even more industrial look with some matching colors elswhere, you should paint them with the ceiling...I've done it twice that way.

Dude it's just so much easier and cheaper it's unreal. I bought a cheap paint sprayer, and went to the store and said "Give me the cheapest goddamn black paint you have." Takes a few days to paint it depending on size but whatever you do is going to take some time.
    Of course you also have to factor in if you're just doing the ceiling, you're going to have to cover up everything and be careful with the paint getting on things.

#35 5 years ago

Yes - high-hats are the fixtures. It makes sense to paint them too but wanted to hear what you guys have done.

I'm assuming you guys are also using latex and not enamel or some other oil based paint - correct? I have both an HVLP gun and Graco True Coat sprayer and can spray either so it doesn't matter to me (although the cleanup and mess spraying enamel with the HVLP and would be much greater.)

Thanks

#36 5 years ago
    Quoted from mac622:

Yes - high-hats are the fixtures. It makes sense to pain them too but wanted to hear what you guys have done.
    I'm assuming you guys are also using latex and not enamel or some other oil based paint - correct? I

Yep flat black cheap latex. Had to dilute with water but it sounds like you know more than I with paint guns so that's probably obvious.

#37 5 years ago
    Quoted from mac622:

Yes - high-hats are the fixtures. It makes sense to paint them too but wanted to hear what you guys have done.
    I'm assuming you guys are also using latex and not enamel or some other oil based paint - correct? I have both an HVLP gun and Graco True Coat sprayer and can spray either so it doesn't matter to me (although the cleanup and mess spraying enamel with the HVLP and would be much greater.)
    Thanks

Yes, I painted the fixtures also. I used Dryfall by Pittsburg Paints, its specifically made for commercial ceilings (restaurants, bars etc) and doesnt require thinning, its made to be sprayed. I didnt want to screw up thinning anything. This stuff turns to dust when it falls 9 feet or more and you just sweep it up, hence the name. My ceiling wasnt that tall so it did mist the floor but we were sealing and carpeting it anyways. $99 for 5 gal bucket, I used 1 3/4 buckets. Took 2 hours to spray 1700 sq ft. It covered great. Cant say enough good things about it. Best $300 I spent on the project.

#38 5 years ago
    Quoted from pinzrfun:

Yes, I painted the fixtures also. I used Dryfall by Pittsburg Paints, its specifically made for commercial ceilings (restaurants, bars etc) and doesnt require thinning, its made to be sprayed. I didnt want to screw up thinning anything. This stuff turns to dust when it falls 9 feet or more and you just sweep it up, hence the name. My ceiling wasnt that tall so it did mist the floor but we were sealing and carpeting it anyways. $99 for 5 gal bucket, I used 1 3/4 buckets. Took 2 hours to spray 1700 sq ft. It covered great. Cant say enough good things about it. Best $300 I spent on the project.

$99 sprayer rental (Home Depot) and 2 5 gal buckets at $99 ea = $300.....to clarify....

#39 5 years ago
    Quoted from mac622:

Who did you buy your carpet from and is it a roll or carpet tiles? I know Astro and Caldwell sell the Joy line of UV carpet tiles but looking for other possible options. Thanks

I got it from Capri Discount Flooring in Calhoun, GA. The pattern is "Under the Sea Flourescent" and the price was $19.99 sq yd. The colors are very bright and looks great under uv. If you can pick up at the freight company you'll save $100 for delivering to your house which is what I did. If the roll has ANY damage on it do not accept it. For padding I bought 3/8 inch memory foam padding, it's antimicrobal and acts as a vapor barrier and because it's memory foam not that cheap chip foam the pinball feet divit's raise right back up in a matter of minutes. I bought it at Menards when they had their 11% rebate sale. It's a firm padding but feels nice on bare feet and well worth the extra money.

#40 5 years ago
    Quoted from mac622:

I'm assuming you guys are also using latex

Yes latex but you have to use a special primer first on your galvenized duct work or the latex will fall off after a couple years. Latex just will not stick to that stuff.

#41 5 years ago
    Quoted from Fast-Ed:

Paint it flat back.

image.jpg (Click image to enlarge)
    image-356.jpg (Click image to enlarge)
    image-74.jpg (Click image to enlarge)

Omg.....that is beyond cool....congrats to you sir. Blacklight carpet is fantastic

#42 5 years ago

Spray foam between joists, then paint black. This way you sound proof it a bit and keep maximum height. You can run cables etc below the foam before painting it all black. Foam will reduce echo in basement as well.

#43 5 years ago

I bought some customs suspended ceiling.

Here's the link : http://www.ceilingsandwalls.com/?gclid=CKHMipmclsQCFQ6MaQodEqgAuA

Before...
    IMGP0183.JPG

After...
    IMGP0255.JPG

IMGP0268.JPG

IMGP0442.JPG
    This one as metallic finish

IMGP0441.JPG
    Also bought transparent tiles for fluorescent light

#44 5 years ago
    Quoted from matt_assassin:

I bought some customs suspended ceiling.
    Here's the link : http://www.ceilingsandwalls.com/?gclid=CKHMipmclsQCFQ6MaQodEqgAuA
    Before...
    IMGP0183.JPG (Click image to enlarge)
    After...
    IMGP0255.JPG (Click image to enlarge)
    IMGP0268.JPG (Click image to enlarge)
    IMGP0442.JPG (Click image to enlarge)
    This one as metallic finish
    IMGP0441.JPG (Click image to enlarge)
    Also bought transparent tiles for fluorescent light

Those after pictures really look classy.

#45 5 years ago
    Quoted from pinzrfun:

Very cool - thanks for info. I'll look into the Dryfall. I have 8' ceilings but will be sealing and carpeting as well no not overly concerned about it getting on the floor.

#46 5 years ago
    Quoted from MustangPaul:

Yes latex but you have to use a special primer first on your galvenized duct work or the latex will fall off after a couple years. Latex just will not stick to that stuff.

Good tip - thanks

3 weeks later
    #47 5 years ago

Progress I picked up the Dryfall paint, installed the recessed lighting and finished clearing the ceiling and basement area in general. Another night or two of odds and ends and wiring and I’ll be ready to spray the ceiling and move this project along! UV carpet tiles arrived yesterday as well – woot woot!!

I'm trying to figure out is how many and what type of black lights to install. Do you guys have any suggestions for a 13’ x 21’ room? The games are going along the 13’ wall where the workbench currently is and I have three 24" UV fixtures that I plan on mounting under the games similarly to MustangPaul’s setup. For the ceiling I'm deciding between 48" slimline UV fixtures or UV CFL bulbs in either recessed cans or clamp-on work light fixtures/reflectors. I originally planned on using slimline fixtures but I just installed 10 recessed cans for the regular lighting and was thinking about installing another 8 cans alongside them to use with CFL’s. The cans are ~$7 each and Amazon has a good deal 20W CFL bulbs for ~$9 each that got great reviews so for ~$130 I could have all the fixtures neatly installed and wired up between the rafters (installing and wiring myself so no labor costs) as opposed to mounting slimlines fixtures underneath the rafters. However, one of my concerns with CFL's mounted in cans or clamp-on reflectors is they might not project/emit enough UV to completely flood the walls and floors of the room. My daughter painted a UV mural on one wall and is going to continue it on the wall behind games where the workbench is now and I plan on having a few UV posters on so getting UV to light up the walls is important. Love to hear your suggestions and/or see pics of your set-ups.

Here are some pics of the progress before the recessed lights were installed. I have a hard deadline of being done by April 10th for my other daughters b-day party so I've got to get moving!
    Base 1.jpgBase 1.jpgBase 2.jpg

Base 3.jpg Base 4.jpg
    #48 5 years ago
    Quoted from zippydapinhead:

Careful...I hear if you pick one of those you can never go back

But you have to admit going back from black to white is a pain in the a...

I'm just starting my own "gameroom ceiling" project and have come to the conclusion that i will install a slightly (2inches) dropped ceiling which will be "glowing" out of the edges.
    Plan is to mount a 2" wooden frame to the ceiling, staying away approx. 10 inches from the edges (= the rooms side walls). A RGB LED strip will be mounted facing the walls along the complete outer rim of the wooden frame. Then drywall will be mounted to the wooden frame, but the edges will be left "open", means the drop ceiling will stay away from the rooms walls by 6". This will produce a "gap" in which a small part of the original ceiling is visible. The light from the LED strips will light up this "gap" and the upper rim of the rooms walls. Recessed LED spots will be mounted in the drop ceiling above the walking area of the gameroom. Think of the whole thing as a "reversed" and RGB LED version of Stretch7's ceiling.

The gameroom walls and outer rim of the ceiling itself will be painted in a very dark grey, the drop ceiling (drywall material) will be painted pitch black.

My ceiling isn't to high by default and i felt this was the best solution that only costs little hight while still getting a cool indirect lighting effect and having a clean, professional look (as opposed to visible LED strips just glued to the walls around the room or likewise).

Hope it will turn out as cool as I imagine it...

#49 5 years ago
    Quoted from someoneelse:

Hope it will turn out as cool as I imagine it...

It's going to be a fun year finding out

#50 5 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

It's going to be a fun year finding out

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 49.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 99.00
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 87.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 35.00
    $ 24.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lee's Parts
    $ 99.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Gameroom - Decorations
    The Flipper Room
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 209.99
    $ 29.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    Playfield - Decals
    UpKick Pinball
    Cabinet - Other
    UpKick Pinball
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Medisinyl Mods
    $ 195.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    WOZ - OZ lanes Out of stock
    The Art of Pinball
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 11.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 7,599.00
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    $ 85.00
    Lighting - Led
    Lee's Parts
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 44.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinBoss Mods
    $ 689.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 7.95
    Various Novelties
    PIC
    $ 23.25
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 40.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Arcade Arts
    $ 109.99
    $ 40.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Arcade Arts
    $ 6,995.00
    Pinball Machine
    Gulf Coast Pinball, LLC
    $ 5.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    UpKick Pinball
    There are 58 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside