Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 366 posts
  • 86 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by PAPPYBALL
  • Topic is favorited by 73 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

67968AA9-7BB5-4111-A43C-8D34412BF1F3 (resized).png
    IMG_6643 (resized).jpg
    IMG_6502 (resized).JPG
    IMG_6511 (resized).jpg
    IMG_6499 (resized).jpg
    IMG_6589 (resized).jpg
    IMG_6583 (resized).jpg
    IMG_6471 (resized).jpg
    IMG_6473 (resized).jpg
    IMG_6467 (resized).jpg
    IMG_6469 (resized).jpg
    3443F605-583C-4870-9A0C-754131EF2167 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_6350 (resized).JPG
    IMG_6346 (resized).JPG
    IMG_6352 (resized).JPG
    IMG_6351 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mbwalker.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#19 5 years ago

Now would be a good time to install a whole house surge suppressor in the breaker box!

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #21 5 years ago
    Quoted from MT45:

Great idea. I'll get with my electrician as they start to make the panel up

Forgot to add and FYI in case the electrician doesn't realize it...ideally the suppressor is located at the first 'breaker' spot in the box - closest to the main feed. It needs to be between the feed and all the other breakers. And the grounding wire should be short as possible in order to reduce inductance.

BTW, excellent build and documentation!

#30 5 years ago
    Quoted from ReadyPO:

You could age it with steel wool and vinegar - would look pretty good next to your floor, I think. take steel wool and put in a jar, add white vinegar, and let set for a couple of days. Paint it on - more coats for darker. Lots of Youtube videos on it and faux distressed wood treatments. You can mat finish over it if you want a slight sheen.
    Or if you want a little more contrast, try a premade gray stain, the gray would pick up the wood tones in your floor, and goes great with linen paint.
    [quoted image]

A mix up of colors might be nice too.

#36 5 years ago
    Quoted from MT45:

First coat of mud on in the Pinball Loft today.
    In addition to mudding the Loft, the sheetrock guys also did the following and in only 6 hours AND with just 3 guys:
    - They hung the entire ceiling and most of the walls of the 1,900 sq/ft garage below the Pinball loft
    - They hung the ceilings of most of the main house (3,500 sq/ft)
    Holy moly
    [quoted image]

We experienced the same thing with 100+ sheets of drywall. Drywall guys showed up around 8:00AM. The wife called said two guys are here. I remember saying "Two guys per room?" Nope, two...period. Fast forward to about 3:30PM - 6 rooms/areas and ceiling done. Couldn't believe it until I saw it. But yup, done. And done well. Another partial day for sanding, etc., and one more partial day for the Spanish lace on the ceiling.

Simply incredible, and very reasonably priced.

#51 4 years ago
    Quoted from MT45:

Amen and no complaints. The ranch work never ends but it’s outdoors and I love it

40 acres...I'm so jealous

I feel the same, but my yard is only about 2 acres. About 1/3rd is woods. But even that little slice of earth can keep me busy at times. Treadmill - not happening. But no problems spending the entire weekend doing hard yard work. I tell people it keeps me young and will kill me at the same time.

1 month later
    #95 4 years ago
    Quoted from MT45:

--
    Made some more progress on the house too by testing some stain colors
    Whatever color we choose for the knotty alder doors I will use to stain the cedar in the pinball room

How about a light gray stain to go with the wall and counter top? Would provide some additional contrast.

#105 4 years ago
    Quoted from MT45:

...Started with 175 linear feet...

Do you have to run multiple controllers/power supplies with that many feet? Got an outlet up there somewhere or do you run a wire down to the outlet?

Whatever you do, based on prior posts, it will be top-notch!

#120 4 years ago
    Quoted from MT45:

My final game layout made me realize that the 2 dedicated 20 amp floor outlets might not handle all the games that will be in the center of the room.
    So ... tonight, I crawled up into the attic space (it's not insulated yet) and used my fiberglass glow sticks to fish some fresh 12/2 wire to run 2 more outlets in the ceiling
    I put the new ceiling outlets directly above the floor outlets
    The center bank of ten games needed the most help, so the added ceiling outlet in the front of the room is now tied to the circuit that runs below the sleeping area (the area where the chairs are) - that circuit has ZERO games planned for it so I can now split the load of those 10 games between the floor outlet and the new ceiling outlet.
    The new ceiling outlet above the second rear bank of 8 games is now tied into the circuit to the left of the workshop/restroom. That bank only has 5 games (area where Jokerz is) dedicated to it so I can add 2 games and reduce the floor outlet load to 6
    Sucks adding outlets and up in the attic on a 90+ degree day but getting done now is way easier than after the attic is insulated with 20 inches of blown fiber.
    Also stinks that I didn't plan this part better cause I would have run 4 total floor circuits during my rough in - oh well, minor issue in the big scheme.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Any interest in installing a ceiling sub up while your at it for the pins prior to insulating?

#122 4 years ago
    Quoted from MT45:

What you thinking? I've never been impressed with a shared sub before (when multiple games being played simultaneously)
    The bass gets "stepped on" by each game and gets muddy ... maybe there is some new tech? Open to ideas!

We only play one pin at a time, so we don't have that issue. But I suspect even with separate subs they would start to sound mushy. Just too much going on all at once even if the signal isn't distorted.

But I did combine 5 pins going to two modest subs using a mixer (same signal, just split between two subs) and it added an entirely new dimension to playing both old (90's) and new pins. Honestly, I was completely blown away regarding how much bass was 'hiding' in the 90's pins. Our JD was a different beast after adding a sub. HS2 was right behind it. I've noticed 3 or 4 games is about the max distance you want before the bass sounds too far away.

I'm not a fan of wires all over the place, so I thought some ceiling subs might add a bit of 'omph' to the pins while keeping a clean install. It really doesn't take much bass, actually too much is overwhelming. It's more about the ambiance than shaking the windows out of their frames.

I did a home theater setup based on some Monoprice in-ceiling speakers and 12" subs and honestly, I'm surprised the police haven't showed up to tell me to 'turn it down'. Not audiophile stuff, but it just sounds incredible w/a music video or movie. Haven't been back to a theater in ages, since it would be a step down from the home experience.

So cutting to the chase, now might be a good time to add some speakers in the ceiling to compliment your incredible build. Here's the mixer I use (below). Sweetwater is based out of Ft Wayne, which is right down the road from where I live, so I picked up a demo unit for about $80. Look up in ceiling speakers and subs at Monoprice.com

Regardless of what you do, outstanding build!

#125 4 years ago
    Quoted from MT45:

I know that Pinnovators makes a mixer that you can use up to 4 machines on one sub...

I thought it might be interesting to try one w/special effects. Has 100 special effects, but can't say they really add anything to complement the sound.

#127 4 years ago

Might want to put in an in-line fuse here. Don't mean to sound like I'm critiquing, just really tossing out ideas. Meanwell supplies have a good reputation.

#130 4 years ago
    Quoted from MT45:

That's a great idea. Two minute job and potential to save that expensive power supply
    Those Mean Well HG600's are about $250 each

I'm good at tossing out ideas for other people to do..lol

I have some spare in-line fuse holders if you want them (free). PM me if needed.

#133 4 years ago

Harbor Freight. Too small or not close by? ~$200 with coupon.

Edit: Oops, see below.

#134 4 years ago
    #139 4 years ago
    Quoted from MustangPaul:

Those big metal cabinets are heavy and when you get them loaded up they are REALLY heavy. If you had a cement floor under it then that would be ok but upstairs on a wood floor I'd say no way. Stick with a few small plastic carts like in the picture

Good point. Might not be an issue if it's against an outside wall. But I do like your idea to a couple of smaller ones just from being able to move around easier. Plus less likely to damage the floor since the weight is distributed among more wheels.

1 week later
    #145 4 years ago

I actually gave up on the motion sensing flood lights and went a different route. I used a Smartthings (i.e. smart home controller) connected to a zwave wall switch. Then got multi-sensors for the outdoor motion sensor (and light, temp, humidity). This means the flood fixture it just that - just dumb light sockets but now they won't fail. The multi-sensors then tells Smartthings to turn on the wall switch (backyard lights) when it senses activity. Multiple sensors gave me a great area of coverage focused exactly (i.e windows, back garage door) where I want it.

Despite buying decent motion flood lights, seems like their lifetime was 2-3 years. Of course the ones highest up would fail. So that problem was eliminated. The multi sensors can be placed wherever I want them. If someone snoops around the shed at night, the sensor out there will turn on the back yard flood lights. Despite the shed being about 300 ft away from the house, the sensors reliably talks to the smart home. Another zwave switch controls the front soffet lights. No stupid switch that I have to adjust sunset/turn off occasionally. Smartthings knows sunset/sunrise and adjusts automatically. Plus the soffets can then also be tied into the motion sensors, turning on as needed.

Sounds complicated (it's not) but has bee trouble free for ages.

Looking at the one you bought - it has a 5 yr warranty, good! I figured all the zwave switches were indoors and didn't have to deal w/the elements, making them last longer. So far, so good.

#154 4 years ago
    Quoted from MT45:

Thinking so on keeping the sides open, but again, I'm open to ideas. I'm not sure that the HG600s will even get warm as I have them over spec for the actual load p,aced on them
    I could actually completely box them in, leave the top open for any heat build up, then paint to match wall color. They would literally then "disappear" on the wall

How about a neon Pinball or a lit Arcade sign since you have plug up there? The other ideas were good too.

#173 4 years ago

Looks like a busy weekend - but I bet rewarding.

1 week later
    #207 4 years ago

#217 4 years ago
    Quoted from MT45:

And, yes, I'll be painting that panel...

Just stick a pinball poster in front of it.

20190728_211430 (resized).jpg20190728_211430 (resized).jpg
    #238 4 years ago

Your attention to detail is just jaw dropping. Simply amazing.

#244 4 years ago
    Quoted from MT45:

...Got my pinball attract screen monitor mounted and running tonight.
    The monitor plays the digital attract screens from virtual pinball machines. These files can be found free on the internet...

Hmm...I have a spare 32" TV in a box. Is there a web page that tended to have the to have the majority of them or should a person just google it?

#273 4 years ago

What are you using for the home theater subs? Same model as the pins or some beefy 12" ones?

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mbwalker.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gameroom-advice?tu=mbwalker and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.