11 months ago

Topic Stats

• 308 posts
  • 70 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 days ago by MT45
  • Topic is favorited by 66 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 514 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_5896 (resized).JPG
    IMG_5894 (resized).JPG
    IMG_5895 (resized).JPG
    IMG_4411 (resized).JPG
    IMG_5862 (resized).JPG
    IMG_5861 (resized).JPG
    IMG_5873 (resized).JPG
    IMG_5872 (resized).JPG
    IMG_5865 (resized).JPG
    IMG_5864 (resized).JPG
    IMG_5863 (resized).JPG
    IMG_5860 (resized).JPG
    IMG_5843 (resized).JPG
    IMG_5853 (resized).JPG
    IMG_5852 (resized).JPG
    IMG_5848 (resized).JPG

There are 308 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 7.
    #151 41 days ago

They won't be that visible in low light, but the rest of the room looks so great and "finished". Your pinball idea sounds good, Do the sides stay open for additional airflow?

#152 41 days ago
    Quoted from ReadyPO:

They won't be that visible in low light, but the rest of the room looks so great and "finished". Your pinball idea sounds good, Do the sides stay open for additional airflow?

Thinking so on keeping the sides open, but again, I'm open to ideas. I'm not sure that the HG600s will even get warm as I have them over spec for the actual load p,aced on them

I could actually completely box them in, leave the top open for any heat build up, then paint to match wall color. They would literally then "disappear" on the wall

#153 40 days ago
    Quoted from MT45:

Thinking so on keeping the sides open, but again, I'm open to ideas.

I think keeping the sides open are fine, probably would give the pinball shape a 3-D effect. If you box them in, could use speaker cloth over a wood frame, it would look like a speaker then and not something trying to hid. Another option is to buy a doorbell cover like the one below. Might be around the right size.

However, I do think if you box them in and paint to match, they would not be that noticeable, if at all. Nice to be working on the details, move-in just around the corner!

cover.jpg
    #154 39 days ago
    Quoted from MT45:

Thinking so on keeping the sides open, but again, I'm open to ideas. I'm not sure that the HG600s will even get warm as I have them over spec for the actual load p,aced on them
    I could actually completely box them in, leave the top open for any heat build up, then paint to match wall color. They would literally then "disappear" on the wall

How about a neon Pinball or a lit Arcade sign since you have plug up there? The other ideas were good too.

#155 39 days ago
    Quoted from ReadyPO:

I think keeping the sides open are fine, probably would give the pinball shape a 3-D effect. If you box them in, could use speaker cloth over a wood frame, it would look like a speaker then and not something trying to hid. Another option is to buy a doorbell cover like the one below. Might be around the right size.
    However, I do think if you box them in and paint to match, they would not be that noticeable, if at all. Nice to be working on the details, move-in just around the corner![quoted image]

Great idea

Quoted from mbwalker:

How about a neon Pinball or a lit Arcade sign since you have plug up there? The other ideas were good too.

Another great idea, almost forgot I have A/C up there

#156 39 days ago

More progress tonight. I got all the electrical fixtures hauled over to the new house. The electricians come on Wednesday to start the finish wiring.
    That one picture is a stack of 80 LED inserts for all the can lights
    There are 9 ceiling fans piled up in there too!
    The doors got clear coated and it really brought out the natural red color of the knotty alder. Sorry about the dark pictures, I took these at 10pm
    And, importantly, I laid in the last 32 feet of LED strips. See the video

Best news? I talked to my builder today and he gave me the green light to start hauling machines up into the Loft Gameroom!

IMG_5336 (resized).JPGIMG_5337 (resized).JPGIMG_5338 (resized).JPGIMG_5339 (resized).JPGIMG_5340 (resized).JPGIMG_5341 (resized).JPGIMG_5349 (resized).JPGIMG_5350 (resized).JPGIMG_5353 (resized).JPGIMG_5351 (resized).JPGIMG_5357 (resized).JPG

#157 39 days ago

What an impressive and inspiring build. This is the stuff that dreams are made of. When's the official opening party ?

#158 39 days ago
    Quoted from Loonar:

What an impressive and inspiring build. This is the stuff that dreams are made of. When's the official opening party ?

Thank you sir and I hope soon!

#159 37 days ago

Made progress tonight. I got most of the outlets wired up.
    Need to buy some brown ones for the stained loft area.
    I'll get those wired up tomorrow night, then on to completing the ceiling cans
    The painters got the doors clear coated/hung, and as expected the natural red color of the knotty alder really showed up

IMG_5423 (resized).JPGIMG_5426 (resized).JPGIMG_5427 (resized).JPG
    #160 37 days ago

Also took some time tonight to update all the drawings:
    - updated electrical diagram
    - updated LED plan
    - new pinball layout

Note, the layout on the games is now quite a bit different.
    I decided to create some more space up near the loft for seating
    To do that, I pushed the 2 groups of games together and moved a few to the back wall

IMG_5429 (resized).JPGIMG_5430 (resized).JPGIMG_5431 (resized).JPG
    #161 36 days ago

Got some help from my daughter tonight and got quite a bit done:
    - added covers to all outlets
    - got all the LED can inserts installed
    - replaced my white outlets with brown on the loft face
    - ordered some bronze and brass outlet and switch plates from Amazon to go with the brown outlets
    - reinstalled the ceiling air grates
    - I took ReadyPO advice to hide the LED power supplies and bought some decorative sheets of 1x2 foot sheet metal. I cut them to 18", tucked the cut end into the corner and used just 3 small screws to attach the finished side. May paint them the wall color later. Thought they came out great!

IMG_5444 (resized).JPGIMG_5443 (resized).JPGIMG_5442 (resized).JPGIMG_5436 (resized).JPGIMG_5438 (resized).JPGIMG_5437 (resized).JPGIMG_5446 (resized).JPGScreenshot_20190718-215101_Chrome (resized).jpgIMG_5435 (resized).JPG
    #162 36 days ago
    Quoted from MT45:

I cut them to 18", tucked the cut end into the corner and used just 3 small screws to attach the finished side. May paint them the wall color later. Thought they came out great!

Looks Great! simple and clean.

#163 36 days ago
    Quoted from ReadyPO:

Looks Great! simple and clean.

Thanks much for the idea!

#164 36 days ago

Finished all the outlets tonight, including the 2 new ones in ceiling that I almost forgot
    Unpacked, built and hung all 3 ceiling fans - OMG, I forgot how absolutely crappy it is putting those together!
    These were some Hunter refurbishments I got on Amazon for $70 bucks or so each
    ---
    Going to move some games in tomorrow! Still no electricity, but getting them up there a few at a time will allow me to get a huge amount of work behind me before the official move in day. It also saves wear and tear on the stair carpeting because it's not installed yet
    ---
    Oh ... and we bought a hayride wagon today too. Needs some work but it's pretty cool and will be fun this fall

IMG_5449 (resized).JPGIMG_5450 (resized).JPGIMG_5451 (resized).JPGIMG_5455 (resized).JPGIMG_5456 (resized).JPGIMG_5459 (resized).JPG
    #165 36 days ago

Fantastic work, very envious

#166 36 days ago

MT - Your gameroom looks absolutely beautiful. Have fun with it!!!

#167 36 days ago
    Quoted from KrustyBurger:

MT - Your gameroom looks absolutely beautiful. Have fun with it!!!

Thanks man. Cant wait to fill it up!

Quoted from Flowst:

Fantastic work, very envious

Thanks so much

By the way, just sat down to eat after hanging the fans and my wife left to put the miniature horses away and shouted at me to come look at the sky
    There are some storms just 2 or 3 miles south of us and boy is it stirring up the sky!

IMG_5460 (resized).JPGIMG_5461 (resized).JPG
    #168 35 days ago

Game on!

Started hauling games into the Loft today! Got 10 up there with the new Escalera.

First pin in the room was Twin Win, first pin assembled was MMR - this was to shoot the below video

Taking a bit of time once up there to set up the games due to adding new feet, plugging everything back in, adding balls, etc
    Got 4 more to take over tomorrow
    The trailer fits 5 comfortably with no need to tie them down as the drive is basically about 125 feet!
    IMG_5471 (resized).JPGIMG_5472 (resized).JPGIMG_5473 (resized).JPGIMG_5475 (resized).JPGIMG_5476 (resized).JPGIMG_5484 (resized).JPGIMG_5485 (resized).JPG

And for the most boring video ever shot ... here is the roughly 2 minute trip to the new house

#169 35 days ago

Am I the only one who intentionally scrolls past the game room builds until three or four months have elapsed just so you can follow the progress all in one go? Amazing vision brought to fruition, congratulations, it’s awesome!

#170 35 days ago
    Quoted from Rody:

Am I the only one who intentionally scrolls past the game room builds until three or four months have elapsed just so you can follow the progress all in one go? Amazing vision brought to fruition, congratulations, it’s awesome!

Thanks and your not the only one, I do it too!

#171 34 days ago

Didn't realize you had videos from your build on YouTube. That was an easy Subscribe choice. Everything looks great! Like many I can't wait to see the house complete!

#172 34 days ago

Got a total of 18 up in the Loft over the weekend.

Just 25 to go ...

---

It was a great start, and we now have a pretty good system:
    - park the trailer near the old house and drop ramp on the asphalt
    - fridge cart the games from small house to the trailer (max 5 per load)
    - drive super slowly to new house (games are on end and NOT tied down)
    - back up to new house garage
    - drop ramp right into garage
    - escalera the load down the ramp to hallway door
    - escalera lift over 3" threshold onto a piece of upside down rug scrap
    - rotate scrap rug by hand so the machine is oriented properly in the hallway
    - tilt on escalera and roll to Loft staircase
    - escalera up to the top (18 steps!)

---

So far the escalera has performed brilliantly
    I bought a spare battery for it when I ordered it from Zach and we've been rotating them each night
    The DIY pinball lifter I built has worked like a charm. I'm soooooo very glad I built it as its fast AND a back saver!

Got 8 Polk subs at the ready as well ...

Oh, and we moved Homer too
    IMG_5489 (resized).JPGIMG_5491 (resized).JPGIMG_5492 (resized).JPGIMG_5494 (resized).JPGIMG_5496 (resized).JPGIMG_5497 (resized).JPGIMG_5501 (resized).JPG

#173 34 days ago

Looks like a busy weekend - but I bet rewarding.

#174 33 days ago

Looks fantastic so far. I may have missed how you will plug in the center room pins. Did you put outlets in the floor or ceiling?

#175 33 days ago
    Quoted from MT45:

first pin assembled was MMR - this was to shoot the below video

Now I feel like an idiot. I bookmarked the page for that whole assembly method, but I never got around to building it. Wow, that worked great.

How are you moving them into place after? Cart? Skates?

#176 32 days ago
    Quoted from drummermike:

Looks fantastic so far. I may have missed how you will plug in the center room pins. Did you put outlets in the floor or ceiling?

Great question. Actually both! Floor and ceiling

Quoted from DaveH:

Now I feel like an idiot. I bookmarked the page for that whole assembly method, but I never got around to building it. Wow, that worked great.

Right now I'm sliding them by lifting one end to pull the weight off, then skidding the other. The felt pads do not slide as easily on the laminate as they did on my hardwood but they do slide without putting too much strain on the legs.
    I own about every kind of pinball moving device so I'll probably experiment this weekend to find best solution.
    Right now I'm thinking harbor freight table but we will see.

Here's the link for anyone that might need it
    https://www.jeff-z.com/pinball/lift/index.html

#177 32 days ago

Thought I'd share some of the prep I did before moving machines

- Bought some 3/16" masonite at Home Depot
    - Cut it to fit the hallway/landing space to place over the tile to protect it
    - Used the masonite scraps to cover the edge of the landing at the top of the stairs
    - Laid in new tar paper in the garage to keep tracked in dust down in the pinball room

Super glad I did all of this as we had to spin every machine on that masonite and the landing edges are contacted by the rubber lifters on the escalera each and every time
    Hope to get more machines upstairs after this crazy rain let's up

IMG_5462 (resized).JPGIMG_5468 (resized).JPGIMG_5463 (resized).JPGIMG_5469 (resized).JPG
    #178 31 days ago

3 more games up tonight. Did these entirely solo. From loading out of the old house, onto my trailer, then unloading and running up the stairs with the escalera
    - Middle Earth was easy ... it's light
    - Time Machine was more challenging ... heavier
    - Strikes 'N Spares was holy moly hard. Super heavy. Difficult even to get tilted on the wheels

I used the 4 wheeler to haul the trailer cause it's tight out behind the house where I'm loading
    I also had no choice but to strap these guys down as I had no "spotter" like I did last weekend

IMG_5505 (resized).JPGIMG_5506 (resized).JPGIMG_5507 (resized).JPGIMG_5508 (resized).JPG
    #179 31 days ago
    Quoted from DaveH:

Almost forgot ... I've got the answer to moving them. I bought this pinball cart off Ebay a while back but had not used it until tonight
    --
    Wow, it works great up in the Loft! Step on the handle, lean back to increase your leverage and the machine rises and locks in place with the legs hovering a few inches in the air
    Now you can push the entire machine anywhere you want to move it with little effort
    When you get to the spot you want to place the game, press the release bar, lean in toward the game and slowly let it back down
    Love it

IMG_5509 (resized).JPG
    #180 31 days ago

Wow, Tim! Looks amazing. You are amazing that you know how to do all that stuff!

Also, I LOVE your DIY pinball lifter! Right now I have to get one of my teenage boys to help when I set up a pin. Occasionally my wife. I can certainly see where your little device would be extremely helpful.

I would gladly spend money on something like that if you ever decide to market that with your nonexistent "spare" time.

Can't wait to see this in person.

Darin

#181 31 days ago
    Quoted from VolunteerPin:

Wow, Tim! Looks amazing. You are amazing that you know how to do all that stuff!
    Also, I LOVE your DIY pinball lifter! Right now I have to get one of my teenage boys to help when I set up a pin. Occasionally my wife. I can certainly see where your little device would be extremely helpful.
    I would gladly spend money on something like that if you ever decide to market that with your nonexistent "spare" time.
    Can't wait to see this in person.
    Darin

Thx Darin. Once I’m in and settled we will schedule a pinball night and build one of these for you. Takes maybe an hour!

#182 31 days ago

looking great!

#183 31 days ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

looking great!

Thx! Getting excited to be this close and pretty tired from moving! I’ll get a few more up there before the big push this weekend

#184 31 days ago
    Quoted from MT45:

Thx! Getting excited to be this close and pretty tired from moving! I’ll get a few more up there before the big push this weekend

love watching these threads and always give me ideas and inspiration for our eventual build.

#185 30 days ago

4 more upstairs today! So tired but so pleased I'm even able to do this ... it was 2 years ago this evening I was going to bed early only to get up at the crack of dawn to head to the hospital for quadruple heart bypass surgery. 53 years old is pretty young for that AND for a lifelong runner - quite a surprise!

Well, I made it and I feel great and am hauling pins around like it never happened. God has blessed me

Pics are my daughter helping me and didn't want her pic taken without being dolled up first - she just got out of the barn
    IMG_201907242254513 (resized).JPGIMG_5519 (resized).JPG

Here are some pics of the storage area I'm hauling them out of. Most of these I have not played in over 2 years!!
    BTW, check out the image of Johnny Mnemonic buried in our food storage room. I had been counting where i had them all stored and kept coming up one short. My wife came around the back of the house tonight to remind me to "get that pinball out of the pantry!" - was an aha moment!
    IMG_5513 (resized).JPGIMG_5514 (resized).JPGIMG_5515 (resized).JPG

This is how I organized all the keys, leg bolts, balls and backbox latches/bolts when I first broke all the machines down.
    I also wrapped each leg set and labeled them. I am so happy I took the time to do this or I would never have been able to match all the correct items up later
    IMG_5517 (resized).JPGIMG_5518 (resized).JPG

And, finally some pics of the room "filling up" ... cant wait to get some power up there

IMG_5521 (resized).JPGIMG_5522 (resized).JPG
    #186 29 days ago

Tired but after laying out the driveway with my builder tonight, I decided the weather was just too nice not to move a few more.
    Got 4 more hauled up but not set up yet.
    Theater of Magic, Lord of the Rings, Star Trek and Addams Family
    IMG_5534 (resized).JPGIMG_5538 (resized).JPGIMG_5539 (resized).JPGIMG_5540 (resized).JPG

This is the staircase that is between my old space and the new Loft! 18 steps ...
    IMG_5535 (resized).JPG

The contractors got the hardware on the cabinets today
    IMG_5531 (resized).JPGIMG_5532 (resized).JPG

And, lastly, the contractors got the custom master bath mirrors with geode, fossils, arrowheads, etc that are poly acrylic sealed on the frame. A Chatanooga based artist created them
    My wife did an amazing job matching the mirrors to the vanity lights and Van Teal designed chandelier
    IMG_5533 (resized).JPG

#187 29 days ago

Can I ask what was the root cause of the heart attack?

And any changes post surgery?

#188 29 days ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Can I ask what was the root cause of the heart attack?
    And any changes post surgery?

No problem at all.
    Short story is that we don't get to pick our parents ... in other words, my Dr. said that up to 75% of the impact to your health is hereditary
    That is most of the reason I got into the situation I was in. My Dad, uncle and grandfather on my Moms side all had heart disease

The good news? I never had a heart attack. I had some major warning signs that caused me to go see a doctor

Most of the story can be learned in this video. I was the local 2018 Honoree for the American Heart Association

#189 29 days ago

New game layout

---

SnipImage (resized).JPG
    #190 29 days ago
    Quoted from MT45:

No problem at all.
    Short story is that we don't get to pick our parents ... in other words, my Dr. said that up to 75% of the impact to your health is hereditary
    That is most of the reason I got into the situation I was in. My Dad, uncle and grandfather on my Moms side all had heart disease
    The good news? I never had a heart attack. I had some major warning signs that caused me to go see a doctor
    Most of the story can be learned in this video. I was the local 2018 Honoree for the American Heart Association

Nice story, I too had a similar situation where I didn't need open heart surgery but had a blocked artery and 2 stents installed.
    My father died of a massive heart attack at 66 so I was pretty nervous when I approached that age. Happy to say I just turned 67 and the 2 stents were installed when I was 58. My symptoms was angina pain when I walked up an incline or did something strenuous.
    Good luck with your build, it's looking awesome!!

#191 29 days ago
    Quoted from MT45:

Most of the story can be learned in this video.

Great video that tells your story, thankfully a happy one, and that supports the American Heart Association.

#192 27 days ago

New switch covers on the Loft wall

IMG_5548 (resized).JPG
    #194 27 days ago

Excavators moving dirt today

IMG_5553 (resized).JPG
    #195 27 days ago

Colored LED bulbs in Loft sleeping area and 4" trim baffles installed today

IMG_5549 (resized).JPG
    #196 27 days ago

Piles of Tripplite surge protectors must mean one thing ... getting close!

IMG_5547 (resized).JPG
    #197 27 days ago

... and ... we're done! Worked until 1:30 am last night and started fresh this morning finishing around 5PM. Hauled the last 5 up and set up 10 total additional machines.
    LOTS more work to do and several machines that need some minor work after 2 years + of storage BUT I'm in and set up!

IMG_5556 (resized).JPGIMG_5557 (resized).JPGIMG_5558 (resized).JPGIMG_5559 (resized).JPGIMG_5560 (resized).JPGIMG_5561 (resized).JPGIMG_5563 (resized).JPGIMG_5564 (resized).JPGIMG_5565 (resized).JPG
    #198 27 days ago

Congrats! Been following this thread and it’s been a lot of work to get to this point.

#199 27 days ago

congrats!

thanks for sharing the build and the heart story!
    Glad you are here!

Now when do all us Pinsiders get to come over for the party

#200 27 days ago

Great build and really nice room! Anyone else feel a little disappointed when a build ends, or is it just me?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 239.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    € 27.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    YOYOKOPTER MODS
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 8,999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Little Shop Of Games
    $ 9,500.00
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    $ 109.00
    Cabinet Parts
    Tilted Pinball
    $ 99.00
    Hardware
    Pappy's Pinball Palace
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Pinball Machine
    Flip N Out Pinball
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 175.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 219.00
    $ 14.99
    Electronics
    PinballElectronics.com
    $ 28.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Pinball Mod Co.
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 12.00
    $ 15.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 8,999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    $ 39.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 24.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 115.00
    Playfield - Other
    Great American Pinball
    There are 308 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 7.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside