Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Ecw0930
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 2 years ago

Would love to get owners and on location play reviews of the actual gameplay of this game. All of the posts have been taken over by the poor playfield quality and issues associated.

I would love to really get the feedback, reviews, and feelings about how the game plays. Flow. Multiballs. Wizard modes. Any and everything.

Not just the comments people leave in the ratings section.

#2 2 years ago

Spend 5 minutes hitting band members, keep pushing the action button to choose the same 6 patches you always use, try and get all four of the different 2 ball multi-balls going, start a song with six balls in play, when the ball saver ends try not to drain, lose your 30 million jackpot when you drain, cry, skip the song wizard mode because there's no value in them, rinse and repeat, sell or trade it.

#3 2 years ago

You'll get more reliable reviews from those that played a lot but don't necessarily own. Many owners are hyping them up and some of them are dumping after the hype, as to keep resale value high.

But you're right... many are crying about the playfields because they stink. So if you're looking to buy, ask yourself if you can overlook those issues. Because you'll most likely have them.

#4 2 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

You'll get more reliable reviews from those that played a lot but don't necessarily own.

I owned it, played about 500 games and moved on after 6 months. Had fun for sure but just didn't gel with me after a while. It's definitely a cool game worth checking out! The songs / light show are a blast and worth the price of admission. And don't let pooling/chipping discourage you, that has happened on at least half of my newer games.... I'd rather have new games with pooling vs. no new games!

#5 2 years ago
Quoted from GorillaBiscuits:

And don't let pooling/chipping discourage you, that has happened on at least half of my newer games.... !

Wat

#6 2 years ago
Quoted from GorillaBiscuits:

I owned it, played about 500 games and moved on after 6 months. Had fun for sure but just didn't gel with me after a while. It's definitely a cool game worth checking out! The songs / light show are a blast and worth the price of admission. And don't let pooling/chipping discourage you, that has happened on at least half of my newer games.... I'd rather have new games with pooling vs. no new games!

Keeping a game for 6 months would be a win for me. I seem to be going thru them about 4-6 months at a time. I only have one so it gets a lot of play.

I feel like having this in a home would be much better than playing on location.

But it doesn't seem deep to me. I played Mando and could really get into it. G'n'r seemed like maybe after the music it wasn't gonna be much. But it was definitely really fun and great initially.

So keeping it for a few months without getting tires of it would be good. Did it have that playability to have the lastability tho?

#7 2 years ago

I am someone who ended up cancelling their pre-order for an LE. I thought it looked awesome and I’m a big fan of GNR music. The problem was that once I got on location and actually played it, the game just wasn’t any fun to me. I have probably only played about 20 games but I didn’t find it enjoyable, plus there there numerous issues I ran into across the two locations I played.

For what it’s worth, I thought this would be a game that non-pinball fans would gravitate to, but that didn’t seem to be the case for me either. For reference, I played a bunch at the boxcar location in Raleigh, NC, and this always seemed to be the least used game. There were always people waiting to play things like R&M, AIQ, or AFM, but nobody seemed to care about GNR. This is just my experience from the times I played so I’m not claiming that is always the case. Additionally, so people don’t get upset, I’m not saying this is a bad game because it may be the perfect pin for some people. I just happened to not enjoy it at all.

#8 2 years ago

A few months ago, I met up with a buddy at 1UP in Denver to play some pinball. I spotted an LE, first one I had seen, and yes it is a beautiful machine for sure. My buddy isn't into playing pinball as much as most here, so I explained to him how this game is the latest and greatest and the deserving winner of numerous awards and that I was excited to play it. We put our money in and got a couple games in. We got some songs in and had the general idea of how to play the game, but after those couple games we were pretty much done with it. My buddy asked about the Black Knight Pro down the line, to which I replied it can be a ball buster but we can have a go. Well we put in a couple bucks and played a two player game, and ended up having so much fun that we stayed on that machine for quite a while, spending cash and having a blast. It was then I abandoned my plans to get a Stranger Things and ended up purchasing a BKSOR Pro. Right after playing the GOTY. A game can be beautiful, but in this case for me, it did not translate to wanting to play it again.

Wonka remains my favorite JJP to play. Fantastic game.

#9 2 years ago

I've now put a fair amount of time in on the SE version. The light show and display are beautiful for sure. Game play is ok. Flippers suffer from the usual JJP softness especially after a few multiballs (which seem to come out of nowhere). One of my biggest gripes with the game is that for a music pin there's not much music in it. before you get a song started all you get are pops , squeaks, riffs and occasional meaningless callouts. When you finally do get a song started its one of the better "moments" in pinball, but playing the song modes all seem the same and a little too easy for my taste. The one toy in the game (spinning disc) is lame. In short its Hobbit 2.0, one of the prettiest games to look at but one that i don't really care to play much. As a collector of music pins I really wanted to like the game too. Maybe once i get some time in on an LE my opinion may change.

2 weeks later
#10 2 years ago
Quoted from Chuckwebster:

I've now put a fair amount of time in on the SE version. The light show and display are beautiful for sure. Game play is ok. Flippers suffer from the usual JJP softness especially after a few multiballs (which seem to come out of nowhere). One of my biggest gripes with the game is that for a music pin there's not much music in it. before you get a song started all you get are pops , squeaks, riffs and occasional meaningless callouts. When you finally do get a song started its one of the better "moments" in pinball, but playing the song modes all seem the same and a little too easy for my taste. The one toy in the game (spinning disc) is lame. In short its Hobbit 2.0, one of the prettiest games to look at but one that i don't really care to play much. As a collector of music pins I really wanted to like the game too. Maybe once i get some time in on an LE my opinion may change.

I feel the same. Amazing lightshow and choreography and effects.

Gameplay is mediocre to above average. The more ya play the more you can dive into it. I think it's more accessible than jjp pirates but not nearly as fun to shoot.

At the same time, if you are working the boosters, patches, and multiball, it can be fun and challenging.

About that flipper fade and soft flippers tho.... Has anyone turned the power up on them? And noticed a real fade in power? I've spent a lot of time in a row on a routed one, right after another guy spent a lot of time and I couldn't tell any flipper fade.

#11 2 years ago

Here is my review for the game:

The lightshow, effects and choreography are amazing.

The Gameplay is solid and good. Only collecting the band members repeats itself quickly... this is my only complaint.

The more I play , the more I immerse myself in the possibilities and the rules.
The shots take some getting used to, but as soon as you know exactly how to take them, it's pure fun.

I think not everyone has understood the four additional multi-balls exactly and how they work or what they are good for exactly - I feel the same way...
Here you probably have to familiarize yourself with the rulesheet first

But.... this game ist accessible for every one and really catches with the risk and reward system and the strategie you can build up for every single song.
The patches are a cool idea but not so easy to understand how to get and use them.

All in all GNR can be fun and challenging - and for me it has this one more game feeling.

I have no problem with flipperfading - but you have to get used to the "softness" of the JJP-Flippers. Btw. I had the feeling WOZ was more poweful.
But I'm fine with it. It plays great and it's fun to shoot.

#12 2 years ago

Played it a lot more on site recently. Both were Le.

It's such an immersive game. After one game my buddy says " at one point you were smiling so big and the next screen shot you were all concentration".

That's this game. Game time can be measley or it can be epic. And epic doesn't mean huge scores. You gotta earn that. But you are also rocking out so like... Who cares about the score. But then, you can if you want to.

I do feel it's a bit much with the patches and building members up and yadda yadda. The outlanes sure get hungry too.

But then you get that game where you play the entire song and get an encore and it's one of the best feelings playing pinball ever.

I also gotta say there are times during the game when all the lights go out and you can't see any of the balls. Kinda sucks. But.... Still cool. Hahaha

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 19.95
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Machine - For Sale
Boston, MA
Machine - For Sale
Litchfield Park, AZ
$ 210.00
$ 29.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 11,000.00
$ 10,200.00
Pinball Machine
The Pinball Place

$ 60.00
Hardware
Pin Parts

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 130.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

$ 109.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

8,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Anaheim, CA
$ 124.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 11,000.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 40.00
Playfield - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

€ 42.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gameplay-reviews-jjp-g-n-r- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.