IMG_0307 (resized).JPG
IMG_0642 (resized).JPG
IMG_0030 (resized).PNG
IMG_0031 (resized).PNG
IMG_1963 (resized).JPG
download (resized).jpg
IMG_2587 (resized).PNG
IMG_2068 (resized).JPG
There are 88 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 7 years ago

Uploaded a video of my Queen of Diamonds in action! Been in the family since 1971. We've been the only people uploading videos of it! 1500 produced, not many survived! Check us out and give a subscribe for more pin videos!

Thanks!

#2 7 years ago

Cool game! Lots to remember on scoring.

IMG_2068 (resized).JPGIMG_2068 (resized).JPG

#3 7 years ago
Quoted from presqueisle:

Haha yes! Thanks! I still have about an extra 30 of those in the game! Gottlieb wanted to make sure you always had a fresh score card! Hahah. I can put up a photo sometime!

#4 7 years ago
Quoted from presqueisle:

You have a hell of a collection, man! I see you have a Pro Pool too

#5 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinball-DOOD:

You have a hell of a collection,

Thank you

Quoted from Pinball-DOOD:I see you have a Pro Pool too

Doh! Yes it's a fun game. Going to a friends tonight though.

#6 7 years ago

I have an old friend who owns one of those machines. I helped restore it. Even got a new backglass for it.

#8 7 years ago

Herbison had one of these at TPF 2015, it was *amazing*.

#9 7 years ago

Nice game, but hardly rare. This word is totally overused when it comes to pinball machines. I've seen several of these in person, and many more for sale, for auction, etc. Some consider it a poor player because ball times are very short. I like it myself, as well as it's other incarnation, "World Beauties". Two very pretty woodies.

#10 7 years ago
Quoted from presqueisle:

Thank you

Doh! Yes it's a fun game. Going to a friends tonight though.

Of course! And ahh, it's a great one!

#11 7 years ago
Quoted from KenLayton:

I have an old friend who owns one of those machines. I helped restore it. Even got a new backglass for it.

Awesome! Glad to hear there are others

#12 7 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

Nice game, but hardly rare. This word is totally overused when it comes to pinball machines. I've seen several of these in person, and many more for sale, for auction, etc. Some consider it a poor player because ball times are very short. I like it myself, as well as it's other incarnation, "World Beauties". Two very pretty woodies.

Ah, true but rare in the sense that there are no videos on the internet of it whatsoever. Leads me to believe not many of them are left. Most of the ones I have seen online are missing inserts and include cosmetic wear. I respect your opinion of course! I just have never seen this game anywhere else before or for sale, a shame!

#13 7 years ago

Uploaded a video of my Queen of Diamonds in action! Been in the family since 1971. We've been the only people uploading videos of it! 1500 produced, not many survived! Check us out and give a subscribe for more pin videos! » YouTube video
Thanks!

Guys, just watched your other YouTube video on "Queen of Diamonds". You have a very nice example there, and it plays great. It's great to see your enthusiasm and interest in a game this old. You did a fine job showing the game's features, and showing off all the documentation as well. That IRS letter was cool, and I have never seen that "out of order" card before. I'm happy to see young people so into the older games and interested in pinball's history. Happy pinball!

#14 7 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

Guys, just watched your other YouTube video on "Queen of Diamonds". You have a very nice example there, and it plays great. It's great to see your enthusiasm and interest in a game this old. You did a fine job showing the game's features, and showing off all the documentation as well. That IRS letter was cool, and I have never seen that "out of order" card before. I'm happy to see young people so into the older games and interested in pinball's history. Happy pinball!

Thank you, sir! I am 20 years old and I am obsessed with EM's! Nothing beats the really cool and weird art hahah. I really enjoy playing and doing repairs on them as well.Have you ever seen the Williams called "Suspense"? Now that game has some killer art!

#15 7 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Herbison had one of these at TPF 2015, it was *amazing*.

NICE, Frax, man I think we talked before? Good to hear from you again!

#16 7 years ago

Thanks a ton! I really appreciate it!

#17 7 years ago

All you need is the Queen Of Hearts to put next to it. Another "rare" title.

#18 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

All you need is the Queen Of Hearts to put next to it. Another "rare" title.

Being several years older, "Queen of Hearts" is definitely a lot harder to come by, but I still wouldn't call it a rare game.

#19 7 years ago

Thank you, sir! I am 20 years old and I am obsessed with EM's! Nothing beats the really cool and weird art hahah. I really enjoy playing and doing repairs on them as well.Have you ever seen the Williams called "Suspense"? Now that game has some killer art!

"Suspense"? Yeah, I've seen a couple of them over the years.

#20 7 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

Being several years older, "Queen of Hearts" is definitely a lot harder to come by, but I still wouldn't call it a rare game.

No, but maybe a little harder to come by. And a little more money in acquiring one.

#21 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

No, but maybe a little harder to come by. And a little more money in acquiring one.

Yeah, it's a better game. My bro' has one. Last time I played it, I lit the "Heart" special by making the number sequence. Then, my brother played next, and got five aces by draining all five balls in the "Ace" gobble hole!

#22 7 years ago

Yeah, but do you have any "rare" games? lol.

#23 7 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

Yeah, it's a better game. My bro' has one. Last time I played it, I lit the "Heart" special by making the number sequence. Then, my brother played next, and got five aces by draining all five balls in the "Ace" gobble hole!

I'd like to know what your definition of a "rare" EM is because they are all kind of rare in way (pre 1960's). Sure, they are not desirable but as the years go by, less of them are showing up at expos. Not like you can find a woodrail everyday on Craigslist. Wegdeheads and newer are a little easier to come by than the old wood rails right?

#24 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Yeah, but do you have any "rare" games? lol.

As you know, I have that Williams "Rocket" with the original dark blue backglass. I think the glass is pretty rare, as no one else seems to have one. I heard Shay is going to repop it though. Oh, and I do have a "Pleasure Isle". Only 235 made. I have seen several of them though, and I know three or four other collectors who own one. What's rare? Hard to say. There are games they made thousands of that I have never seen. And I've seen many thousands of games over the years. They made 110 "Bristol Hills", and I've seen many of them. Of course it was made for NY, and that's where I live.

#25 7 years ago

Maybe I haven't been at the right expos to see more EMs!

#26 7 years ago

I'd like to know what your definition of a "rare" EM is because they are all kind of rare in way (pre 1960's). Not like you can find a woodrail everyday on Craigslist Wegdeheads and newer are a little easier to come by than the old wood rails right?

Woodrails are appearing more frequently and more affordably in the last couple of years due to the aging collector base for them. Some of the better titles in good condition are still very pricey though. Gottlieb "Sunshine" seemed to growing on trees there for a while. They were coming up for sale quite often.
Generally, still wedgeheads and other metal rail EMs are more plentiful than woodies.

#27 7 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

Woodrails are appearing more frequently and more affordably in the last couple of years due to the aging collector base for them. Some of the better titles in good condition are still very pricey though. Gottlieb "Sunshine" seemed to growing on trees there for a while. They were coming up for sale quite often.
Generally, still wedgeheads and other metal rail EMs are more plentiful than woodies.

Huh, I guees I need to go to more Expos with EMs. I've always been to expos with solid state games for the past 10 years and they usually have about 1 maybe 2 wood rails to play. Maybe people don't want kids starting a game then walking off leaving that trough arm coil to burn!

#28 7 years ago

Maybe I haven't been at the right expos to see more EMs!

Look at this. Total pinball nirvana! Check out all the stored woodrails! Just mind blowing!

#29 7 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

Look at this. Total pinball nirvana! Check out all the stored woodrails! Just mind blowing!
» YouTube video

WHAT?! Guess woodies aren't as rare as I thought! Thanks for showing this, man! I had no idea so many survived

#30 7 years ago

WHAT?! Guess woodies aren't as rare as I thought! Thanks for showing this, man! I had no idea so many survived

Steve Young of The Pinball Resource lives fairly close to me. I've been to his house, and it's loaded with woodrails!

#31 7 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

Steve Young of The Pinball Resource lives fairly close to me. I've been to his house, and it's loaded with woodrails!

That guy is a hero! Brought my games to life! And NICE! I am new to the world of woodrail collecting, glad to see they are still around!

#32 7 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

Short ball times? What woodrail doesn't?!

I think it's a pretty fun player. Love the Top Card style top of the playfield, hitting targets off the pops, and down low withe the lanes bumping is great. Rototarget action changing values without the crappy "roto blocking whole middle playfield" bit. A pretty good woodie in my opinion.

I do prefer World Beauties for the art and babes. Agreed neither is rare, seen plenty of both, more Queen of Diamonds actually.

#33 7 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

As you know, I have that Williams "Rocket" with the original dark blue backglass. I think the glass is pretty rare, as no one else seems to have one. I heard Shay is going to repop it though.

I asked him to do the light blue one as you seem to be the only one that has the dark one. And yours seems to be in pretty good shape. I'll just leave the original in there if that doesn't pan out.

#34 7 years ago

Ah, true but rare in the sense that there are no videos on the internet of it whatsoever. Leads me to believe not many of them are left. Most of the ones I have seen online are missing inserts and include cosmetic wear. I respect your opinion of course! I just have never seen this game anywhere else before or for sale, a shame!

Well, there were only 1700 made and with a survival rate of 5 - 10%, all woodrails are rare in the sense of numbers left.

The issue is more to do with demand as demand for woodrails is very low so even though it might be rare, QoD is still easy to find, relative to production number.

Even the pre 1955 woodrails which are the most collectible can be found, and that is with average production runs of 600 - 800.

That said, if you want to say find a nice 1955 Sluggin Champ, it can take a long time to find, years sometimes.

If demand ever picks up for woodrails, prices will rocket, as there are so few left.

#35 7 years ago

Uploaded a video of my Queen of Diamonds in action! Been in the family since 1971. We've been the only people uploading videos of it! 1500 produced, not many survived! Check us out and give a subscribe for more pin videos! » YouTube video
Thanks!

Fantastic machine. I grew up on 60s Gottlieb EMs, being from NY AABs so that's what I have gravitated to in collecting. Still, glad to see some chatter on woodrails which were still lingering around in the Catskills hotel gamerooms when I was a little kid always along with a great Seeburg jukebox and a Williams Pitch and Bat.

#36 7 years ago

Great video! Glad to see young people excited about pinball.

As fare as rare games (everyone has an opinion on this) I read where:

< 700 somewhat rare
< 300 rare
< 150 very rare

#37 7 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Well, there were only 1700 made and with a survival rate of 5 - 10%, all woodrails are rare in the sense of numbers left.
The issue is more to do with demand as demand for woodrails is very low so even though it might be rare, QoD is still easy to find, relative to production number.
Even the pre 1955 woodrails which are the most collectible can be found, and that is with average production runs of 600 - 800.
That said, if you want to say find a nice 1955 Sluggin Champ, it can take a long time to find, years sometimes.
If demand ever picks up for woodrails, prices will rocket, as there are so few left.

I completely agree. I am aware the game is not as rare but there are no videos of it anywhere on the internet. The only videos up are ones my friend and I posted. I suppose it's rare to find a video of QoD's gameplay anywhere online. You have to give it that

#38 7 years ago
Quoted from hoov:

Great video! Glad to see young people excited about pinball.
As fare as rare games (everyone has an opinion on this) I read where:
< 700 somewhat rare
< 300 rare
< 150 very rare

Thank you and this is helpful!

#39 7 years ago
Quoted from velcroman:

Fantastic machine. I grew up on 60s Gottlieb EMs, being from NY AABs so that's what I have gravitated to in collecting. Still, glad to see some chatter on woodrails which were still lingering around in the Catskills hotel gamerooms when I was a little kid always along with a great Seeburg jukebox and a Williams Pitch and Bat.

Thank you! That's lucky! Being able to witness the evolution on pinball! I couldn't imagine seeing one of those tiny woodrails in a public location hahah

#40 7 years ago

Ned Beatty shows love for Queen!

IMG_2587 (resized).PNGIMG_2587 (resized).PNG

#41 7 years ago

Hey I'm not 'new' to Pinball by any means... I've been playing, repairing, and collecting for almost 10 years! I've seen a guy say his Williams 1989 Bad Cats was "rare". LOVE Bad Cats to death but definitely not rare. It's pretty obvious you see more Bad Cats than Woodrails

#42 7 years ago

Woodrails are way underated as many see them as slow and boring. If they play as they should they can be pretty quick and anything but boring as they often have multiple ways to win so that a player is hooked at all times.

Lots of great reading here....

http://www.pinrepair.com/gtb/

#43 7 years ago

Nice diversity in a small collection. I see you also have Pro Pool. I recently acquired a nice example from a friend of mine.

#44 7 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Woodrails are way underated as many see them as slow and boring. If they play as they should they can be pretty quick and anything but boring as they often have multiple ways to win so that a player is hooked at all times.
Lots of great reading here....
http://www.pinrepair.com/gtb/

Ah, that is ashame people think that woodrails and EMs are boring. Woodrails happen to have some of the most beautiful art of any pin ever. I have honestly never played a bad pin, every pin is awesome. If they don't like it, sell to the people like us that like them! Maybe I'm a little prejudiced when it comes to the oldies because I grew up playing QoD, someone's gotta show love!

#45 7 years ago
Quoted from AlexF:

Nice diversity in a small collection. I see you also have Pro Pool. I recently acquired a nice example from a friend of mine.

Thank you! My brother and I really want to find a System 80b Gottlieb or System 11 Williams-Bally to add! NICE, Pro Pool is a terrific game, 800 produced I believe. I get a lot of people offering me money for that one but I could never sell a pin!

#46 7 years ago

Ned Beatty shows love for Queen!

And that aint all!

download (resized).jpgdownload (resized).jpg

#47 7 years ago

Now this thread is making me sad since I'm Pro Pool-less. Enjoy it Alex!

IMG_1963 (resized).JPGIMG_1963 (resized).JPG

#48 7 years ago

You'll be ok, you can still play it if you want.

#49 7 years ago

Alex gets all the good games

#50 7 years ago
Quoted from presqueisle:

Now this thread is making me sad since I'm Pro Pool-less. Enjoy it Alex!

Just played Pro-Pool, Kicked my ass! got two billion on BoP though!

There are 88 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gameplay-of-rare-1959-queen-of-diamonds-in-action/page/1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.