Topic Stats

• 27 posts
  • 20 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by WOLF
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

I am working on a game and am interested in playing around with a video of the game play prior to and post LED addition to the game. I know that for photos, its a must to take the glass off to avoid the glare and reflection and it makes perfect sense that a video with the glass off would be very desirable.

However, this is a 1976 Williams Grand Prix with a very nice back glass (emphasis on the glass part) and i can only imagine the results of a pinball hitting that....

I realize this is UNLIKELY... but during game play it is completely common place for the ball to occasionally jump and hit the glass... its even fun. However, I have no idea how far that ball might travel were the glass removed...

Anyone know?

99% of the time the ball jumps by hopping a ball guard on the way out (fast SDTM) and the ball would likely hit the player and not head towards the back glass or even head in that direction.... but given how luck usually works I want to know if anyone has ever damaged anything playing with the glass off before I start doing this for any length of time whatsoever.

I also ask this because I typically cover my game before play testing any fixes/adjustments I have made... am I just being paranoid?

#2 9 years ago
Quoted from rufessor:

am I just being paranoid?

Why yes you are.

#3 9 years ago

I never thought of that, but I have often played a few balls with the glass off after doing a repair to make sure everything is working. I've never had an issue despite having lots of air balls during actual games with the glass on. I believe all my air balls were heading in my direction or to the side and not to the back glass. Still, anything can happen I suppose. Case in point: Today, while driving on the highway, a semi truck in front of me lost a spare tire and some part from it came flying through the air only to find the hood of my new(ish) car. It could have been much worse, for me and the people in back of me. Luckily, there was only a slight dent and scratch. Still, if I had gotten there a split second earlier, it probably would have gone through the windshield, and if I had gotten there a split second later, it would have missed me entirely. All that said, I think you will probably be fine playing with the glass off.

#4 9 years ago

It depends on the game. I never play test Mata Hari without the glass because of the top saucer that constantly hits the glass. But most games don't have a launch pad like that right in front of the backglass.

#5 9 years ago

Don't play Comet with the glass off, because the ball will hit the backglass.

WH2O of course the ball will hit you from Insanity Falls ramp.

#6 9 years ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

I never thought of that, but I have often played a few balls with the glass off after doing a repair to make sure everything is working. I've never had an issue despite having lots of air balls during actual games with the glass on. I believe all my air balls were heading in my direction or to the side and not to the back glass. Still, anything can happen I suppose. Case in point: Today, while driving on the highway, a semi truck in front of me lost a spare tire and some part from it came flying through the air only to find the hood of my new(ish) car. It could have been much worse, for me and the people in back of me. Luckily, there was only a slight dent and scratch. Still, if I had gotten there a split second earlier, it probably would have gone through the windshield, and if I had gotten there a split second later, it would have missed me entirely. All that said, I think you will probably be fine playing with the glass off.

Baldwinsville mother killed after bouncing tire on I-690 lands on top of her car

http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/2014/04/baldwinsville_mother_killed_after_bouncing_tire_on_i-690_lands_on_top_of_her_car.html

#7 9 years ago

I once long ago broke an outer Xenon glass by playing it with the glass off

Flipper rebuild + ramp shot + no playfield glass = bad day for me.

Chris

#8 9 years ago

I remember I was working on my X-Men and had the Xavier VUK "chimney" removed. I didn't even put any thought into and the ball rolled back there. It shot the ball straight up a couple of feet and I just happened to be quick enough and realize it in enough time to catch it.

#9 9 years ago

The ball is too heavy. Probably will never reach the bg.

#10 9 years ago

Played all my games with glass off and never once did the ball come even remotely close to the bg.

#11 9 years ago
Quoted from DugFreez:

I remember I was working on my X-Men and had the Xavier VUK "chimney" removed. I didn't even put any thought into and the ball rolled back there. It shot the ball straight up a couple of feet and I just happened to be quick enough and realize it in enough time to catch it.

This is fantastic.

#12 9 years ago

Looks like I am not paranoid... or, if I am... I have ample reason to be so.

I will continue to NOT play my games with the glass off. Video will have to have a little glare. Not worth the risk, even if its small. Thanks for the stories!

Waiting for someone to chime in and tell us if it actually stings to get nailed by a pinball coming from a game

#13 9 years ago

I've had the ball hit the backglass without breaking it, but it still makes me drop a loaf.

#14 9 years ago
Quoted from hassanchop:

The ball is too heavy. Probably will never reach the bg.

Might be time to rebuild your flippers

#15 9 years ago

Isn't the BG tempered just like the PF glass? It's not going to break even if it does hit it. Unless you've got it out on the floor and the ball flies out of the machine and hits the edge of the glass and it explodes. It could happen...I guess...

#16 9 years ago

i play around with mine with the glass off all the time after shopping. I really don't play with the flippers as much as more of rolling the ball into slings and leaf switches behind new rubbers to see if the switches are stuck or rapid firing. After rolling around by hand and checking all the rollovers and stuff, I usually glass it back up and test it some more.

#17 9 years ago

hmm, can you put the pf glass in front of the bg, or stand a piece of plexi in front of it? definitely get better picture, machine sounds are much louder with the glass off, seen videos without.

#18 9 years ago

I wondered this as well. I would never trust a pinball flying in mid air, it could do all sorts of damage to glass people or plastic parts.

I really wonder tho what the most insane story is of a pinball doing damage. some insane shot or kickup that shoots it across the room and hits someone in the head.

be careful

#19 9 years ago

I've played and recorded over 200 gameplay videos without a single ball hitting a backglass ( thousands of games of pinball). I have had several balls come off of the front of the machine and roll on the floor, but none have ever gone high enough in the BG direction to be an issue.

YMMV

Best of luck.

#20 9 years ago

Has anyone ever had an air ball shatter the playfield glass? Sometimes I worry that that might happen with how hard some of my balls bounce off of the glass.

#21 9 years ago

I once killed a kid while playing a freshly waxed Hercules with the glass off.

Thankfully, the judge was a pinhead. Got 6 months informal probation. True story.

#22 9 years ago
Quoted from phishrace:

Thankfully, the judge was a pinhead. Got 6 months informal probation. True story.

WTF, Really.

#23 9 years ago
Quoted from catboxer:

Isn't the BG tempered just like the PF glass? It's not going to break even if it does hit it. Unless you've got it out on the floor and the ball flies out of the machine and hits the edge of the glass and it explodes. It could happen...I guess...

Backglass is generally just regular glass. Not tempered. When it breaks, watch out for shards.

#24 9 years ago

i was playing mm with the glass off and the troll popped up and launched the ball right at me. i pooped myself a little.

#25 9 years ago
Quoted from Darcy:

WTF, Really.

No. Like MHS said, go for it. I test my route games with the glass off all the time.

As if the game knows you're only testing, you'll have some of your best games ever playing with the glass off (assuming your testing, not cheating). Any op will tell you he's had some of his best games ever while 'testing'. Sad but true.

#26 9 years ago
Quoted from phishrace:

No. Like MHS said, go for it. I test my route games with the glass off all the time.
As if the game knows you're only testing, you'll have some of your best games ever playing with the glass off (assuming your testing, not cheating). Any op will tell you he's had some of his best games ever while 'testing'. Sad but true.

i think there is something psychological going on there. even if you don't cheat, i think you know you could and it eases any anxiety you may have. just a theory, nothing scientifically proven or anything.

#27 9 years ago
Quoted from phishrace:

Pissing my pants!! tears in my eyes, that is f@#%ing hystiracle!!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

1,650 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lincoln Park, NJ
Machine - For Sale
Burlington, VT
$ 24.98
Hardware
Gameroom Mods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gameplay-glass-off-risky-video-q and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.