Topic Stats

• 15 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by seshpilot
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

Game boots up fine and worked earlier today. I shut it off to change some bulbs and now it won't start.
It shows credits. Aftermarket MPU is set to freeplay. Start switch has continuity across leafs when pressed and all the way to MPU connector. Connector is seated. I looked at the tilt switches and they are not closed. It launches a ball into the shooter lane when you fire up the game but doesn't start the game. When I put the ball back in the trough it automatically cycles them to the right.
I don't see a stuck switch anywhere.
I tried going thru the tests and hit reset on the MPU.
I am out of ideas.

#2 8 years ago

After the ball is launched, does a ball have to hit a switch on the playfield before the game officially starts? I can't remember if that was the case on gameplan games or not.

#3 8 years ago

Not too sure. I haven't had the game working too long. I don't think so as if I launch the ball, it hits a bunch of switches on the way down to the trough.
I just got all the lamps to work. Next up was the sound card but the game won't start so I want to fix that first.

#4 8 years ago

That's probably not the case then.

Is there a theory of operation guide available for the original MPU?

#6 8 years ago

Maybe but I don't have it. I only have the parts manual, which makes troubleshooting difficult. I have some schematics for other games but even though some things are similar to other games, GP changed one circuit board with every game.

#7 8 years ago

I'm not sure if this will help or what exactly is in it, but for what it's worth, this might be something to look at: http://www.gameplanpinball.com/gameplan_book.shtml

#8 8 years ago

Here's something else I uncovered--lots of PDF manuals here for GamePlan games. Unfortunately, no Andromeda, though.

https://web.archive.org/web/20060615163236/http://epinball.com/gameplan.html

#9 8 years ago

Thanks. I keep forgetting to order that book. It is on order now.

#10 8 years ago

Let me know if it looks helpful...I'll probably need to grab a copy at some point too.

#11 8 years ago

It works now. I can only guess one of the switches was closed. I went and checked them all, and they all seemed open, but when I was done, the game started up. Sound works too so it is now fully functional. Yay!

#12 8 years ago

Huh...so maybe the game won't start if there is a closed switch?

Can you go ahead and hold a switch closed and see if the problem resurfaces when you try to start a game?

#13 8 years ago

Good idea. I was too busy playing it. I will check tonight.

#14 8 years ago

It will start if switches are closed. The issue is the balls in the trough need to be in the correct position. One all the way to the left, and one all the way to the right so both switches are closed at the same time. I thought they both had to be to the right.

2 years later
#15 5 years ago
Quoted from SealClubber:

It will start if switches are closed. The issue is the balls in the trough need to be in the correct position. One all the way to the left, and one all the way to the right so both switches are closed at the same time. I thought they both had to be to the right.

I wonder if this is what's going on with my Andromeda. It boots great w afternarket MPU but will not start a game!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet Parts
Rocket City Pinball

$ 98.99
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Reno, NV
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gameplan-andromeda-wont-start-game and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.