(Topic ID: 87375)

Game you 'hated' initially, but now love...

By molspin

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 10 years ago

...mine admittedly was WOZ. I played one at PAGG last year and found it slow, shallow and boring. I in fact canceled my pre-order as a result. Then I had the opportunity to play one in a different setting and found it to be extremely enjoyable. ...and now I own one!

I'm sure others have similar stories about machines. What's yours?

#2 10 years ago

Not to be a party pooper, but you could just read the 89 replies to this thread...

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pin-you-were-the-most-wrong-about

#3 10 years ago

Tron. First two or three machines I played were just Meh, which is why I never bought it. Then I played one that was set up right I guess and BAM! I was blown away.

#4 10 years ago

TZ and XM both come to mind. Also did not care for TAF until I put about 15 games or so onto one.

Jury is still out on SM. Have not played much lately got was very disappointed with the old code and it did not excite me at all. Very similar to BDK initial. I like that game just fine now. Not the best thing out there but fun pin non the less.

I feel these are the most notable dislikes for me as they are now very good games.

#5 10 years ago

Yeah, I has a similar experience with TRON. I loved it for a while but sold it to fund IM which is another I hated and now love.

#6 10 years ago

BDK is now on my wishlist for similar reasons.

#7 10 years ago

SM is a bit of an acquired taste I've found. If you don't play shooting for the white spider inserts the game is just kinda , "meh?" Once you start playing to start all modes it's a completely different game. The code makes it for sure.

#8 10 years ago

Ripleys. Did not really like it at first and have grown to love it

#9 10 years ago

BSD. Did not like it at all first couple of times playing it. What a punishing game! Favorite now. TZ took me a while to enjoy as well.

#10 10 years ago

I'll give another vote for Tron. At first I just couldn't get into it, but now I think it is amazeballs...

#11 10 years ago

Getaway, hated it when I had to play it in tournaments, since have learned how to properly play one and I love it.

#12 10 years ago

Bad Cats
    No Fear
    AND
    Ripley's

#13 10 years ago

Iron Man, Flintstones, and Elvis....hated initially...they rock!

#14 10 years ago

Iron Man. I couldnt have been more wrong.

#15 10 years ago

World Series, and Black Hole

every one i ever played prior, was a weak worn out pile-o-crap...

Played dialed in ones, and WOW... Great games...

#16 10 years ago

Iron Man, Cyclone, and 24

#17 10 years ago

Twilight Zone. When I first got into the hobby I hated because I didn't know the rule set. Now I love it.

#18 10 years ago

The Shadow. I walked past that machine for years. Now I can't stop playing it!

#19 10 years ago

TSPP - loved the first 5 seasons, after all the singing crap started, pretty much disliked the show and theme. Once I got the machine though, despite not wanting it because of the theme, whoa nelly!

FH - as with a lot, head was creepy, got one not working intending on selling/trading, after a day knew it would never leave.

Pinbot, same as above, though it looked boring and blah, bought it with two HS's, Road Kings and another machine in a deal, intending on keeping a HS and selling the rest, as above, Pinbot will never leave, and sold the others.

NF as well for me, really hated the play at first, couldn't seem to control the outlanes, but I love it now, as the upper modes are tons of fun.

STTNG - just couldn't get by the next gen theme, couldn't stand having that translite anywhere I could regularly see it. Turned down deal after deal on these for years, finally my buddy Jeffo here redid the translite after I finally bought the machine and loving it every since

#20 10 years ago

Addams Family, don't know if I love it just yet, but getting there.

#21 10 years ago

I absolutely hated Xenon when it came to my local Time Out, most because of the sound effects. Now I can't wait to find one for my collection.

#22 10 years ago

transformers

#23 10 years ago
    Quoted from blue95:

Addams Family, don't know if I love it just yet, but getting there.

Oh you love! You love it BIGTIME, and you are never going to let it go!!

#24 10 years ago

LOTR. I just didn't "get it" at first.

#25 10 years ago

Genie - got a decent deal, got it working, started liking it, did some cleanup, new rubbers and a couple of adjustments, about 6 degree pitch, love it!

Jurassic Park - First few plays, meh, some shots really hard to make. Started getting in to it, understanding the shots, much better than I anticipated.

Black Knight 2000 - Music is really reminiscent (or in reality a forebearer) to Rollergames in some ways. After a few games I started to get the flow and feel, what a fast furious and addictive game.

Nascar - Common issue seems to be house balls from the garage. A friend has one in really nice condition, garage shoots out to left flipper properly, once you start feeling the shots and getting some flow, really like the game now. Despite not liking the theme, I'd have this one at home, and may someday.

#26 10 years ago

The most common thing for me is to not enjoy a game that isn't in great playing condition.

Or even if you're at a show with tons of options and it's noisy and you can't hear it and if the game doesn't offer immediate gratification you're off to try something else.

I find that if you have the game in your (or friend's) home, volume turned up, it has been shopped and set up correctly, plays exactly as it should, and you really spend some time focused on it and getting familiar with it … you'll have fun with almost anything.

#27 10 years ago

Gottlieb Target Pool.

At first, when my father-in-law owned it - I hated it. The flippers were the two-inch type, and they could hardly get the ball halfway up the playfield. Then he moved to NC, and left most of his pins with my wife and I. I was going to sell Target Pool fast - I didn't want to hang on to it at all!

Fully serviced the machine, installed a PBR flipper rebuild kit, new flipper coils, cleaned and waxed the playfield, reconditioned the pop bumper, reconditioned the score reels and the bell units. Finally I started testing it to get it ready to sell - what an awesome game! A real treat to play! Now I see why they're in demand!

I may still sell it one day - but the deal would have to be awesome!

#28 10 years ago
    Quoted from AtlanticPinball:

Gottlieb Target Pool.
    At first, when my father-in-law owned it - I hated it. The flippers were the two-inch type, and they could hardly get the ball halfway up the playfield. Then he moved to NC, and left most of his pins with my wife and I. I was going to sell Target Pool fast - I didn't want to hang on to it at all!
    Fully serviced the machine, installed a PBR flipper rebuild kit, new flipper coils, cleaned and waxed the playfield, reconditioned the pop bumper, reconditioned the score reels and the bell units. Finally I started testing it to get it ready to sell - what an awesome game! A real treat to play! Now I see why they're in demand!
    I may still sell it one day - but the deal would have to be awesome!

Target Pool = Best EM ever!

#29 10 years ago
    Quoted from SealClubber:

Tron. First two or three machines I played were just Meh, which is why I never bought it. Then I played one that was set up right I guess and BAM! I was blown away.

Maybe there is still hope for me then. Because the DOT animation sure looks cool on TRON.

#30 10 years ago

EMs. It took me a couple years, but I've seen the light.

Metallica - being a huge fan of the band, I was so disappointed in this table initially (the art is great, but I honestly will always associate Metallica with Pushead). Ever since the code update, I can't stop playing it.

Williams IJ - never liked this game on location. Path of Adventure never worked, and mode start rejects made me want to burn the arcade down. Having a completely dialed in one makes a 1000% difference. I love this game to an embarrassing degree.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/game-you-hated-initially-but-now-love and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.