10 months ago

Topic Stats

• 72 posts
  • 42 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 months ago by drsfmd
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

There are 72 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 10 months ago
    Quoted from tomdrum:

Last night I texted for a best price with "cash on the glass" to see if there was any wiggle room on price, no response.

Quoted from tomdrum:

I made it completely clear I was a serious buyer. I told him the time frame I'd look at it tomorrow. I'm not a tire kicker and made that very clear.

Most likely, a more serious buyer agreed to his asking price, and they did not look for wiggle room on price.

#52 10 months ago

Cash money in hand talks, all else is bullshit.

As a seller, Non-refundable deposits too. That really separates the tire kickers from the real buyers.

#53 10 months ago
    Quoted from pinsanity:

High volume sellers don't want 30 minute phone conversations, back and forth wiggle room on pricing or tentative meet ups in the next day and a half to negotiate.
    All of that would just raise red flags to me that the sale is not going to crystallise in one way or another.

The 30 minute phone call was more the seller than me. I got a bunch of "you gotta come and see it and play it". It was located 4.5 hours away. Wednesday I would of been close to the seller for work and would of made the time to see it. I wanted to know what brand of stencils were included and the seller didn't know but said he'd look and get back to me with that info. Had the seller even once mentioned that he needed a decision right away, others are interested, that in 36 hours it might be sold, I would of asked more questions about condition the pictures didn't show and made a decision right then and there. There wasn't any urgency of a commitment. If someone showed up with cash before me, I can understand it being sold. (If that was the case it would be sold now not sale pending) However a heads up that he had a buyer when I had made a commitment to "come see it and play it" would of been appreciated or at least a "hey I have another buyer interested, will need a deposit if you want it". Water under the bridge now. Pins are like women, they'll be another around the corner.

#54 10 months ago
    Quoted from tomdrum:

The 30 minute phone call was more the seller than me. I got a bunch of "you gotta come and see it and play it". It was located 4.5 hours away. Wednesday I would of been close to the seller for work and would of made the time to see it. I wanted to know what brand of stencils were included and the seller didn't know but said he'd look and get back to me with that info. Had the seller even once mentioned that he needed a decision right away, others are interested, that in 36 hours it might be sold, I would of asked more questions about condition the pictures didn't show and made a decision right then and there. There wasn't any urgency of a commitment. If someone showed up with cash before me, I can understand it being sold. (If that was the case it would be sold now not sale pending) However a heads up that he had a buyer when I had made a commitment to "come see it and play it" would of been appreciated or at least a "hey I have another buyer interested, will need a deposit if you want it". Water under the bridge now. Pins are like women, they'll be another around the corner.

My opinion: Here is where you messed up. With the "you gotta come and see it and play it" stuff from the seller it sounds like he is in sale mode. He wants it gone and he wants money. While you were concerned about a $150.00 set of stencils, you should have been hitting on the seller for when is a good time to come and see it. My work will be taking me close. When DO YOU WANT be to come by and see it. What is a good time to be there. Get that seller to say from his own mouth for when is a good time to come and see.

Did you say what pinball this was? If you did, I missed that. I knew the pins I was chasing were getting hot and I worked with the assumption that if I did not jump on it now then it would never happen. You can't trust the seller to say what is what. If it is your grail pin and they don't come around that often you have to jump. You say there was no urgency of commitment. Is that what the seller said? Or are you assuming no urgency? And then you say made a commitment "to come see and play". Did you have a day and a time set?

I'm not beating on you but with this market you will have this same issue come up anther day , another time, another seller and another pin.

#55 10 months ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

My opinion: Here is where you messed up. With the "you gotta come and see it and play it" stuff from the seller it sounds like he is in sale mode. He wants it gone and he wants money. While you were concerned about a $150.00 set of stencils, you should have been hitting on the seller for when is a good time to come and see it. My work will be taking me close. When DO YOU WANT be to come by and see it. What is a good time to be there. Get that seller to say from his own mouth for when is a good time to come and see.
    Did you say what pinball this was? If you did, I missed that. I knew the pins I was chasing were getting hot and I worked with the assumption that if I did not jump on it now then it would never happen. You can't trust the seller to say what is what. If it is your grail pin and they don't come around that often you have to jump. You say there was no urgency of commitment. Is that what the seller said? Or are you assuming no urgency? And then you say made a commitment "to come see and play". Did you have a day and a time set?
    I'm not beating on you but with this market you will have this same issue come up anther day , another time, another seller and another pin.

A date and an approximate time to see it was set. Time was based to how long from his place to where I needed to be for work which we discussed. Also discussed removing the pin.

#56 10 months ago
    Quoted from tomdrum:

A date and an approximate time to see it was set. Time was based to how long from his place to where I needed to be for work which we discussed. Also discussed removing the pin.

I think he cut bait when you asked for "best price" and someone else was willing to pay the price he wanted. I agree he should have told you. That's his error here and what he should have done.

#57 10 months ago

Why did you not put a down payment after playing it?

#58 10 months ago

Hey I don't think the seller did anything wrong, if you were so gung-ho about the deal you should have at least sent him a deposit right then and there or talked about a price. Money talks and bs walks...out the bar pinless. lol

#59 10 months ago

Location means a lot when selling. I gotta say I way prefer a local sale.

I don't often sell, but when I do it is a first-with-the-cash, as-is, where-is sale. Play it and scrutinize it for as long as you want before you buy, but once money has changed hands and it is loaded up, it's a tail light guarentee.

Straight ahead and simple transactions with clear communication as to the parameters of the sale always works, IMHO. When selling, I've honestly never had a transaction so south sticking to what might seem (to some) as a *harsh* selling philosophy.

Also, when buying, I assume the same rules apply, whether the seller says so or not. It's a great way to never feel burned or find yourself getting in a truck for a 10 hour drive.

Terry.

#60 10 months ago
    Quoted from pinballlife:

Location means a lot when selling. I gotta say I way prefer a local sale.
    I don't often sell, but when I do it is a first-with-the-cash, as-is, where-is sale. Play it and scrutinize it for as long as you want before you buy, but once money has changed hands and it is loaded up, it's a tail light guarentee.
    Straight ahead and simple transactions with clear communication as to the parameters of the sale always works, IMHO. When selling, I've honestly never had a transaction so south sticking to what might seem (to some) as a *harsh* selling philosophy.
    Also, when buying, I assume the same rules apply, whether the seller says so or not. It's a great way to never feel burned or find yourself getting in a truck for a 10 hour drive.
    Terry.

I agree with all you say except for the "clear communication" part. It is not that I do not agree with it but that everybody seems to have different ideas on what clear communication really is. My girl friend and I have completely different ideas about what clear communication is. It is a trap door that can suck you right in.

#61 10 months ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

Cash money in hand talks, all else is bullshit.
    As a seller, Non-refundable deposits too. That really separates the tire kickers from the real buyers.

That there pretty much sums it up. If I had a nickle for every "serious" buyer who was coming to buy my game, but then never shows up, or shows up and offers a stupid low price, I could buy all the NIB games I wanted! As a seller, I owe nothing to a voice on the phone making promises. Unless I or a friend knows him, or unless he sends a deposit, or says "I'll take it, assuming it is in person as it appears in the pics", then the first guy to show up with the cash gets it. When someone starts asking me my "best price" before even seeing the game in person, I know immediately they are going to be a royal pain in the butt to deal with, and I am already mentally starting to look at the next guy on the list. Who called first means nothing to me. What matters is a caller who knows what the game is worth, says they are serious at my price or close to it, and says they will be there right away. Only if I get several people in that category will I give preference to the first person who called. And no preference at all to people who will buy the game after they sell their whatever, once they talk to their wife etc etc etc.
    I once had a very nice Centigrade 37 for sale at a high but reasonable price for what it was. I got several interested inquiries but the one who successfully got the game was a well known collector several states away who emailed me to say, "There is already a $300 Paypal deposit in your account. I will be there with the rest of the cash this weekend." Now THAT'S someone who is SERIOUS!

#62 10 months ago
    Quoted from sbmania:

That there pretty much sums it up. If I had a nickle for every "serious" buyer who was coming to buy my game, but then never shows up, or shows up and offers a stupid low price, I could buy all the NIB games I wanted! As a seller, I owe nothing to a voice on the phone making promises. Unless I or a friend knows him, or unless he sends a deposit, or says "I'll take it, assuming it is in person as it appears in the pics", then the first guy to show up with the cash gets it. When someone starts asking me my "best price" before even seeing the game in person, I know immediately they are going to be a royal pain in the butt to deal with, and I am already mentally starting to look at the next guy on the list. Who called first means nothing to me. What matters is a caller who knows what the game is worth, says they are serious at my price or close to it, and says they will be there right away. Only if I get several people in that category will I give preference to the first person who called. And no preference at all to people who will buy the game after they sell their whatever, once they talk to their wife etc etc etc.
    I once had a very nice Centigrade 37 for sale at a high but reasonable price for what it was. I got several interested inquiries but the one who successfully got the game was a well known collector several states away who emailed me to say, "There is already a $300 Paypal deposit in your account. I will be there with the rest of the cash this weekend." Now THAT'S someone who is SERIOUS!

How serious can they be without your paypal info Seems like he already had that info

#63 10 months ago

I am excited to share on this!

People are dicks and always have been. With that being said, I’ve waited many times for verified acquaintances of respected pinball friends for responses and or answers. From 10 years of collecting, The deal is this cash is king.... always.

It’s nice to have common courtesy when doing transactions however refer to 2nd sentance. I am courteous from the start with everyone. However there’s a couple red flags for me as a seller. If price comes up before people even see the game they’re usually out right from the start. Lots of tire kickers, people who window shop, fisherman, etc, etc out there. I don’t operate that way so I don’t expect others to either.
    If I’m serious about a game and can’t look at it in person I ask a friend to for me. If not I roll the dice and try to minimize my exposure, or wait until the thread/listing goes soft and people are “wanting offers”. I know what I’m willing to pay, or what I feel is fair for everyone. I’ve paid more for games I really wanted and passed on games I shouldn’t have. Most of the time I just pay the asking price.

I’ve started a personal list of people I just wont deal with because they get off on “I got a killer deal on that!” Type of mentality. To each they’re own

#64 10 months ago

I ask if there’s room on a price, if their asking is multiples of reality. Right now there are a number of pins on cL in my area that are double and triple sane prices. I come right out and tell them a number I’m interested in. They can take it or leave it, their choice and I don’t care if I get it or not.

#65 10 months ago

Ok, as the OP let me say this and let this post die. For those who are chiming in and didn't read the whole thread, this is where I was at. I was very interested in buying the game. PM'd seller and asked for pics. Got them except cabinet, seller stated it needed help. Seller was including a stencil set. I asked who made it since there are two, one great, one not so great. We're talking about a $1250 game. Seller's response was "That's a great question, I'll look and let you know". We discussed the crappy stencil set producer at length. I was planning to drive the 4.5 hours already for work less than 2 days later. Seller wanted me to see it and play it then. Cool. Gave him the approximate time I would be there. I and got his address and then got the best route from him to where I need to go after meeting. Told seller I couldn't remove game the day I saw it but would be back in a day or two. He understood and said no problem. That night I texted seller for his best price, was hoping he'd respond with an answer to my stencil question as well as his flexibility. Heard nothing. Had the seller said best price is full price I would of paid that. However seller never even contacted me again. Had I not seen it was listed as "sale pending" I would of left several hours earlier the planned meeting day and texted him when I was close. If another buyer showed up with "cash on the glass" so be it, I would understand. But it's still sale pending not "SOLD". My issue is the lack of a "heads up" that there were other buyers in play and I would of driven there to find out it was sold. Had the seller told me he had other interest, I would of rolled the dice and just sent a deposit after the initial phone call. I've bought & sold my share of games and just felt I made my interest more than clear and then missed out without even a courtesy text or email. That was reason for this thread.

#66 10 months ago
    Quoted from tomdrum:

Seller wanted me to see it and play it then. Cool. Gave him the approximate time I would be there. I and got his address and then got the best route from him to where I need to go after meeting. Told seller I couldn't remove game the day I saw it but would be back in a day or two. He understood and said no problem.

And after that conversation you did this..

Quoted from tomdrum:

That night I texted seller for his best price

And lost your grail machine. Lesson learned.
    -Mike

#67 10 months ago

NEXT TIME - CASH ON THE GLASS baby! No shitting around.

#68 10 months ago
    Quoted from tomdrum:

Ok, as the OP let me say this and let this post die. For those who are chiming in and didn't read the whole thread, this is where I was at. I was very interested in buying the game. PM'd seller and asked for pics.

You were *interested*

The second mouse got the cheese.

#69 10 months ago

It's interesting to me that some of you won't deal with a person that talks money before seeing the item in person. If I'm talking with someone about buying their machine, I usually ask about price before I see it in person. I'll typically look at the pictures ask any questions I have then talk price. Then if we agree on a price I tell the seller I'll take it as long as it is as described. This has worked out well and only one time did I show up and the machine was nowhere near the condition expected. On that one occasion I told the seller I could not pay what we discussed for xy and z reasons and walked away (multiple items did not work and it did a factory reset upon startup which was not disclosed). All other purchases I have showed up looked at the machine and handed over the cash as agreed upon. I have even used this method to purchase other items, including a boat, without issue.

As far as this situation is concerned, I have no problem with what the seller did here. Although I would have just sent you a message saying it was sold.

#70 10 months ago

I take each sale on an individual basis. I prefer a voice phone call...I want to talk to the prospective buyer and get a feel for them.

If I say I will hold it for you, then I will hold it for you...regardless of who offers what after that. I will even pass on "cash on the glass" if I told you I would hold it.

If I don't tell you I'll hold it then you know the score and first in with cash gets it.

#71 10 months ago
    Quoted from Monk:

It's interesting to me that some of you won't deal with a person that talks money before seeing the item in person. If I'm talking with someone about buying their machine, I usually ask about price before I see it in person. I'll typically look at the pictures ask any questions I have then talk price. Then if we agree on a price I tell the seller I'll take it as long as it is as described. This has worked out well and only one time did I show up and the machine was nowhere near the condition expected. On that one occasion I told the seller I could not pay what we discussed for xy and z reasons and walked away (multiple items did not work and it did a factory reset upon startup which was not disclosed). All other purchases I have showed up looked at the machine and handed over the cash as agreed upon. I have even used this method to purchase other items, including a boat, without issue.
    As far as this situation is concerned, I have no problem with what the seller did here. Although I would have just sent you a message saying it was sold.

monk I do also as what condition he states may not be your condition upon seeing it. I have even given money back to the buyer after I have the money as the buyers wife pointed out a point that I did not see at first.

#72 10 months ago
    Quoted from pinnyheadhead:

I am coming alone can you help?

Unless it's someone I know from the "community" or a well known Pinsider, I would NEVER do this. Don't telegraph to them that you're coming with a large sum of money in cash, and that you'll be alone. That's a good way to get robbed-- especially if it's deals from Craigslist.

Quoted from Jgel:

If it is a grail game for you and it is 1.5 hours away (or off your route) then pay the asking price.

As a seller I don't care where you're coming from-- the price is the same for all.

Quoted from tomdrum:

I was very interested in buying the game. <snip> Told seller I couldn't remove game the day I saw it but would be back in a day or two. He understood and said no problem. That night I texted seller for his best price

1) You are either "interested" or your "not interested enough to pay full price". You should have discussed that during your initial phone call. Playing text messaging games after the phone call is an annoyance to the seller, and a red flag that you are going to be a pain in the ass after the sale.

2) Can't remove it that day? Come prepared, or don't come at all. It's not the sellers responsibility to deal with the storage of your machine after cash has changed hands. You take it then, right then, or not at all.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 8.00
    Cabinet Parts
    RPGCor
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Art Prints
    $ 175.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 6,995.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 14.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Parts and Equip
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 1,099.00
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 11.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 89.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 7,199.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 22.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 99.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 19.95
    Playfield - Plastics
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 20.00
    Various Other Swag
    Project Pinball Charity
    $ 76.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 65.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Texas Pinball
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    There are 72 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside