Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 20 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 months ago by aarik
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 1 year ago

Hey all, I’m considering adding a “master” switch panel to the gameroom to have the ability to turn all the games on or off with a button press/switch or have the ability to turn on/off individual games as well. We have 6 pins and 2 vids along with some audio equipment and a TV. Does anyone have any ideas and or examples of solutions that work for you? Any thoughts or experiences with a touch screen approach vs. a “closed system” that utilized hard switches? This is probably totally unnecessary especially with so few machines but thought it may be a nice touch and add a little convenience to the game room.

Thanks!

#2 1 year ago

I used a Wifi switch plug and plugged a power bar into it. The power bar was connected to 4 games .

When you hit the switch on your phone (or told Google or Alexa to "turn on pinball games") on they came.

I found that I liked turning on one game at a time - so eventually I hooked each pinball machine up to its own separate WiFi switch. Same process.

Then I just linked the switches to a hub. If I go downstairs I can voice activate each machine - "Hey google turn on ACDC" , etc. or I can say "Hey google - pinball time" and the hub turns on all machines at once when it hears that command.

#3 1 year ago
    Quoted from Vabeachrunner4:

Hey all, I’m considering adding a “master” switch panel to the gameroom to have the ability to turn all the games on or off with a button press/switch or have the ability to turn on/off individual games as well. We have 6 pins and 2 vids along with some audio equipment and a TV. Does anyone have any ideas and or examples of solutions that work for you? Any thoughts or experiences with a touch screen approach vs. a “closed system” that utilized hard switches? This is probably totally unnecessary especially with so few machines but thought it may be a nice touch and add a little convenience to the game room.
    Thanks!

The one thing you might have to consider is the in-rush current spike a master switch would cause. Each machine may draw a lot of current when it is turned on, and this could cause the circuit to trip at the breaker.

With the amount of machines you have, it may not be a concern though. You could always test first by plugging everything into the same surge protector and flipping that power on.

#4 1 year ago
    Quoted from daveyvandy:

The one thing you might have to consider is the in-rush current spike a master switch would cause.

I worked in an arcade and the entire place was switched on & off with Breakers. Shouldn't be a big deal...as long as they're not 10amps or something.

#5 1 year ago

“Alexa, turn on pinball”

#7 1 year ago
    Quoted from Caponicus:

“Alexa, turn on pinball”

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07G95FFN3/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00

Just bought 2 of these. Individually addressable outlets. Name them in the app. Or group them all and just say turn on pinball. Fantastic.

#8 12 months ago

Thank you for the replies! I think I’ll look in the direction of doing wi-if outlets as many of you have mentioned allowing one to assign one or all of the games collectively or individually…does anyone know how many amps a game would pull upon startup? I’d always read and heard a machine takes anywhere between 1.5-2 amps during play. Does that sound right/reasonable? Of course there’s a lot of other factors to consider like wire gauge and integrity, path of travel to the box, etc. and as such I want to make sure not to trip the breaker…I think it’d be best to turn one on at a time and I’d kind of planned on doing it that way…

#10 12 months ago

I have three smart Amazon plugs ( I might expand it to 4). I use it for 9 (7 on one 15 amp circuit) games. To keep the current spiking, I set a routine with the Alexa app. I say "Wake word, Let's play pinball" and it then will turn on one plug, wait 10 secs, then another, wait 10 secs, then another. I also have it saying dumb things...

#11 12 months ago

My arcade has 8 20 Amp circuits. Each 20 Amp circuit has its own light switch.

#12 12 months ago

Do you have a dedicated panel to control them or are they on individual remotes?

Quoted from scottieIA:

I have three smart Amazon plugs ( I might expand it to 4). I use it for 9 (7 on one 15 amp circuit) games. To keep the current spiking, I set a routine with the Alexa app. I say "Wake word, Let's play pinball" and it then will turn on one plug, wait 10 secs, then another, wait 10 secs, then another. I also have it saying dumb things...

#13 12 months ago

These products run over the neutral as to not slow down your wifi.

And because they run off the neutral, if your wifi is down, they will still work. AND, there is no lag, because it's on the neutral.

https://www.insteon.com/

#14 12 months ago

Just out of curiosity...why complicate a pretty easy straight forward process? I simply walk over to the machine I want to turn on and flip it on. Is there a benefit? Do you gain some surge or brown out protection by hooking up a middle man switch? Honestly not knocking anyone, just trying to understand the thought process here. I have a friend that turns on his entire room when he only plays one machine. He said he likes the atmosphere it creates. I tend to fall in the why turn it on if you're not going to use it. Saves power and wear etc etc....

#15 12 months ago
    Quoted from TomN:

Just out of curiosity...why complicate a pretty easy straight forward process? I simply walk over to the machine I want to turn on and flip it on. Is there a benefit?

You'd be amazed at how many people find it hard to turn on a spike machine these days since the moved the switch.
    These seems shockingly recockulus, but must be true with all the cries and complaints. We must remember in every hobby there are a large % of obese and/or TRex offspring.

#16 12 months ago
    Quoted from TomN:

Just out of curiosity...why complicate a pretty easy straight forward process? I simply walk over to the machine I want to turn on and flip it on. Is there a benefit? Do you gain some surge or brown out protection by hooking up a middle man switch? Honestly not knocking anyone, just trying to understand the thought process here. I have a friend that turns on his entire room when he only plays one machine. He said he likes the atmosphere it creates. I tend to fall in the why turn it on if you're not going to use it. Saves power and wear etc etc....

I have 20 machines in my basement.

I very rarely play just 1. I like being able to hit the keypad and they all come on.

If I’m strictly working on 1 machine, I can manually turn the outlet on or I can turn it on with my phone.

With the keypad, I also have different lighting programmed in. I have an all on for when I’m working on a machine, pinball lighting when it’s dark out, pinball lighting when it’s light out, pinball lighting with a separate bar area.

#17 12 months ago
    Quoted from SDVmnt:

amazon.com link »
    Just bought 2 of these. Individually addressable outlets. Name them in the app. Or group them all and just say turn on pinball. Fantastic.

Wow, I have not seen those before, that is a slick product, thanks for posting that. I'm going to try that out.

#18 12 months ago
    Quoted from Vabeachrunner4:

Do you have a dedicated panel to control them or are they on individual remotes?

I just plug the smart plug into the wall and then run a power strip from the smart plug to control about three to four games. I then stagger them with a routine. They are not all on one circuit but most are and I haven't tripped a 15A circuit breaker yet.

5 months later
    #19 5 months ago

To the question about why not turn them on one at a time there are many reasons other than lazy or obese owners. That answer assumes that all the switches are in the same location. That is the case with about 29 of my pins. The pin that I can think of of the top of my head is different and not reachable from the front is my Revenge from Mars. Talking pins that is one reason. For me the other reasons are the 30 arcades we have from cocktails to caberiet to full size machines. The stupid power switches are on the bottom back left inches from the bottom and some are on the top toward the front, some are at the back. Most of the cocktails are on the bottom of the machine and lifting it to hit the switch is ignorant.

For me the pins I wanted to turn on one at a time and still can but the arcades drove me to switch all the outlets. I am running 6 machines per circuit on 30 amp breakers through a 30 amp switch. I just turn them on one at a time from the doors on each end of the room. I think the Wi-Fi outlets are cool but are a cost I did not want to spend because I do not use voice commands or online control for anything that does not need it. Personal preference to keep my stuff manual.

#20 5 months ago

I set up an Alexa routine using smart plugs so when I say let’s play it turns on one or two games waits 5 seconds, repeat … on until they are all on.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/game-room-switch-panel-ideas and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.