3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by PBFan
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 3 years ago

So I just did a basement reno and created a smaller games room which will hold 7 of my pins and another 5 will be in an unfinished part of the basement (for now). I had the smaller room wired with 2 20Amp circuits. There are 8 outlets in the room split across 2 separate circuits - 3 outlets (on 2 circuits) are reserved for six pins alongside 1 wall - so I can plug in 6 pins but not the polk subwoofers (I have 3). So I needed a power bar. I concluded that I should get a surge protection strip that could handle 20A (instead of the usual 15A ones). They are much harder to find and much more expensive - I bought the Leviton 5100-IS2 which has a 20A capacity rating.

So my question is, "Did I overthink this?" Is a 20A surge protector better in this case or could I have realistically have just used a regular 15A one in this case? Did I gain anything or just needlessly spend money?

Thanks.

#2 3 years ago

Why not just spend the bucks and get a whole house surge/arc protector? That seems cheaper in the long run instead of going piecemeal. You may even be able to get a discount on your home insurance.

#3 3 years ago

I guess my initial thought was more about providing power for my sub-woofers and less about surge protection. Assumed that a 20A power bar (with surge protection) would handle higher peak loads than the 15A power bar. Although I have never had a problem with 7 pins (and a 15A power bar) on 2 15A circuits in the old game room. But I have quite a few games with magnets (high power draw) so in theory I could exceed the limit and trip a breaker.

#4 3 years ago

Your assumptions about being close to overload are correct IF all the machines were being played simultaneously, and they all drew max power at the same time, and even then, the current draw would have to be long enough for the long time trip to activate. I think that’s highly unlikely.

Approximately 1800 watts vs. 2400 watts for available load (15 amp vs 20 amp)

Look on the manuals and add up all the watts you would be putting on each circuit - that should give you an idea.

The bigger question would be what size feeder wire you used to run the circuits. Hopefully something larger than 16 gauge

#5 3 years ago

Yes my feeder wire is 12g. Everything was done to code with appropriately sized 20A breakers, 12g wire and 20A outlets.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/game-room-power-wiring-question?hl=rocketfromtombs and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.