(Topic ID: 136430)

Game Room Magazine - EM contributor needed?

By hoov

3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 63 posts
  • 29 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Ferros
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 3 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Gameroom_Magazine_Issue_6_Jetsons (resized).jpg
    IMG_0975 (resized).JPG
    KensGameroom.jpg

There are 63 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 3 years ago

Just read my new Game Room magazine I received last night and thought I'd make a few comments and see what you guys that received it think.

I thought it was a great start. Nice glossy color pictures. Large text which is easy to read but I could read smaller text and still be happy. Good article on Stern's new KISS. Rob Craig did a nice article about Stern's pinball machines. The David Copperfield article was short but good (he only had so much content to work with because of David's schedule) - his penny arcade collection was interesting and neat! Virtual pinball story. Lot's of ads by The Pinball Company who I'm guessing is tied to Nic Parks - understandable since it's a nice tie in for him if that's the case. My impression is it's a good start with room for improvement. It seemed to be heavy on 90's - current pins + virtual. What's needed is an em pin article written for each issue.

What I'd like to see:

Ball Bowlers, pitch and bats, and a gun game article
    Early arcade articles
    Juke Box articles

*And, most importantly, I think we need someone from the em side of the house to contact Nic and see if we can contribute an article about em machines for each issue*

Here's a few of my suggestions for a contributing writer or writers. Because of Pinside's success, it has probably brought more of us together since Mr. Pinball and rgp. Help me out here because I've forgot some candidates:

Vic Camp
    DirtFlipper
    ron boatcat
    jrpinball
    Cactus Jack
    boilerman
    khead
    stashyboy
    darcy
    empinman
    AlexF
    Odin
    Steve Fury
    Pinballprowess
    way2ward
    Xerico
    cfh
    Ken Layton
    oldcarz
    tunadelight

I think the best format would be to accept volunteers and rotate articles among the group. Everyone could tell their story and include pics.

Opinions and more candidates I missed - I just listed a few off the top of my head?

#2 3 years ago

I haven't seen the latest issue so it's hard to comment. I'd definitely have more interest in the magazine if it had more Em content. The David Copperfield article sounds interesting. I appreciate you including me in the list but writing isn't my strong point.

Clay put together some great Pin Game articles a few years back maybe he'd consider contributing.

#3 3 years ago
    Quoted from AlexF:

I haven't seen the latest issue so it's hard to comment. I'd definitely have more interest in the magazine if it had more Em content. The David Copperfield article sounds interesting. I appreciate you including me in the list but writing isn't my strong point.
    Clay put together some great Pin Game articles a few years back maybe he'd consider contributing.

You wouldn't necessarily have to be a writer. Just volunteer to be interviewed and provide pics and tell your story Agree, Clay would be a good contributor.

#4 3 years ago

I think the mag covered a lot of aspects of the hobby. David Copperfield's penny arcade (EM) collection, virtual pinball, Stern Kiss to name a few. Although I think it would be neat to see stuff related to ball bowlers and other EM arcade machines but for a first edition.....I think they covered a lot!

#5 3 years ago
    Quoted from hoov:

Opinions and more candidates I missed

I'd be happy to do a cartoon for the magazine. What's the best way to contact Nic?

Bruce

#6 3 years ago
    Quoted from meSz:

I think the mag covered a lot of aspects of the hobby. David Copperfield's penny arcade (EM) collection, virtual pinball, Stern Kiss to name a few. Although I think it would be neat to see stuff related to ball bowlers and other EM arcade machines but for a first edition.....I think they covered a lot!

I agree. Think they did a great job on Issue #1.

Just want to see a column in each issue talking about em pins. If a writer for the mag could interview prospects with bigger, interesting collections including jukes, ball bowlers, gun games, etc., it would make for some interesting reading. For an example, Vic Camp's collection and history behind it would make for great reading. Clay Harrell, plenty of others - just to name a few.

How has em collecting changed over the years, repair, restoration, rare titles, newbies in the hobby, pinball shows with ems. So much to talk about.

#7 3 years ago
    Quoted from PinballFever:

I'd be happy to do a cartoon for the magazine. What's the best way to contact Nic?
    Bruce

Game Room Magazine
    6000 S. Sinclair Rd.
    Columbia, MO 65203

www.gameroommagazine.net
    (573) 234-2234

Customer Relations:

Questions: support@gameroommagazine.net

Subscriptions: gameroommagazine.net or phone (573) 234-2234

Check or Pay Pal payments accepted

#8 3 years ago

I've never been asked to be a writer before.

#9 3 years ago

You have now!

#10 3 years ago

Yes, EM-PINMAN (his name starts with a K, but I won't give it away!) is writing a really nice theme right now about Kings & Queens. He always has great pictures and detailed information.

Would love to see his work in print!

#11 3 years ago

Although I don't qualify (not even close) as an expert like those listed above, Hoov, I am a former newspaper journalist (The Dallas Morning News, Waco Tribune-Herald, San Antonio Express-News, and numerous smaller papers) with two degrees in journalism, and I would be MORE than happy to serve as editor or even co-writer with any of the guys listed above. Alternatively, I could interview any of them on a topic and write the feature article that way. Just wanted to offer.

#12 3 years ago
    Quoted from goldenboy232:

Although I don't qualify (not even close) as an expert like those listed above, Hoov, I am a former newspaper journalist (The Dallas Morning News, Waco Tribune-Herald, San Antonio Express-News, and numerous smaller papers) with two degrees in journalism, and I would be MORE than happy to serve as editor or even co-writer with any of the guys listed above. Alternatively, I could interview any of them on a topic and write the feature article that way. Just wanted to offer.

Wow,

Thanks for the offer! This needs to be a consensus from the group but you have my vote. I sent an e-mail to GRM today and told them to follow this thread to see if we could band together to show our support for a regular EM column in upcoming issues.

Your first assignment will be Vic Camp's collection Most here are in awe of his collection and he promotes em pinball better than anyone. To be fair we need to include collections with Williams/Bally pins since Vic's is mostly Gottlieb.

Nic with GRM may already have someone in mind to do em's - hopefully he will agree that em's need to be included in his mag. We'll see. Thanks for the offer!

#13 3 years ago

I did a lot of EM arcade articles for the pingame journal back in the day. frankly they were not received very well by the readers. Schelberg said most people didn't really care for them, that it was a pinball magazine. That said, "Gameroom magazine" implies a wider girth of readers. But the way the magazine is marketed, i suspect most readers are pinball people. I'm not saying it's not worth the trouble, but it's just something to think about.

personally i would love to see more EM arcade or EM pinball articles. but judging by what is "valuable" today, i think most people have interest in solid state games. I just sold a bunch of EM arcade stuff (i've been collecting them for too long!), and frankly the prices this stuff now sells for is a gift. Heck even EM pinballs aren't really riding that price train that the solidstate pins are. This tells me where interests lie...

Also we did a ball bowler TOP (this old pinball) dvd video and an EM arcade game dvd video. Those by far were our worst selling dvd videos. that should tell ya something about them too.

#14 3 years ago

I agree that the emphasis is on SS pins right now but if enough of us "EM only" subscribers speak out we might get our say.

#15 3 years ago
    Quoted from iron00monkey:

Yes, EM-PINMAN (his name starts with a K, but I won't give it away!) is writing a really nice theme right now about Kings & Queens. He always has great pictures and detailed information.

So would I.......

#16 3 years ago

I think em's are gaining in popularity. more guys that were SS/DMD only are just now looking to add a EM to there collection.
    just look at Stern, the made a fake em whoa Nellie. not sure how well it sold but they were trying to tap a market.
    granted that the em crowd is small compared to the ss/dmd crowd. but a few well written articles would be great. I would consider getting it then.

#17 3 years ago

Yup. I am here in Florida to pick up a Gottlieb Bowling Queen, my sixth EM. A few months ago, I had none.

#18 3 years ago

Em's what are those ?
    KensGameroom.jpg

#19 3 years ago
    Quoted from cfh:

I did a lot of EM arcade articles for the pingame journal back in the day. frankly they were not received very well by the readers. Schelberg said most people didn't really care for them, that it was a pinball magazine. That said, "Gameroom magazine" implies a wider girth of readers. But the way the magazine is marketed, i suspect most readers are pinball people. I'm not saying it's not worth the trouble, but it's just something to think about.
    personally i would love to see more EM arcade or EM pinball articles. but judging by what is "valuable" today, i think most people have interest in solid state games. I just sold a bunch of EM arcade stuff (i've been collecting them for too long!), and frankly the prices this stuff now sells for is a gift. Heck even EM pinballs aren't really riding that price train that the solidstate pins are. This tells me where interests lie...
    Also we did a ball bowler TOP (this old pinball) dvd video and an EM arcade game dvd video. Those by far were our worst selling dvd videos. that should tell ya something about them too.

Hey Clay. I'm 36 and love working on EM's way more than SS's. There's just a FEEL about them. There's just a LOOK about them. There's just a SMELL about them. EM pinballs are just so f*cking classy it makes me want to cry when I fire one up I just spent untold hours of repair on and I know every God D@mn switch by heart. I feel more pride in bringing one of them back to life than any SS game.

It might be worth it to give a shot at an article. Dude! You're THE pinball repair man! The one so many listened to for advice to bring their baby back. You're the guy that's interviewed almost every important pinball personality and recorded it for posterity. Clay...your opinion matters.

BTW...TOP #1 (the World's Fair one) is my favorite....

#20 3 years ago

Just subscribed. Hope you guys get the EM stuff rolling!

#21 3 years ago

I was in the gameroom magazine in 2002 and i think in the late 1990's. I'm due again for a EM article for sure and my collection had totally changed. Count me in for anything the magazine needs EM wise. The EM's should always be included or part of any pinball journalism.....If it wasn't for the EM pinball machine there wouldn't even be a hobby today.

#22 3 years ago

I understand why EM articles aren't for everyone. We are almost as much about the artwork and more about the repair than we are about the intricacies of gameplay.

SS players are more about the tricks and gameplay then about fixing.

And I can understand that. And that's where the majority of the money is.

But if we get enough EM subscribers and interest, the magazine and advertisers should appreciate a small article or two an issue.

I for one think a good article could be written about the EM community itself.

I know that I am a relative newbie (really got heavily involved about 2 years ago). My collection is only a rolling 4 machines. But I have to say I feel like I'm part of a huge extended (and yes dysfunctional) family.

Everyone is willing to help each other with advice, parts, service, etc. It's like nothing else on the web. I'm a big car guy too and on lots of forums and folks are great and helpful, but nothing like the EM community.

Just my 2 cents. I don't know if you can make a huge article, but if you put something together where everyone contributes a paragraph or two about when another forum member went above and beyond in helping a person get a machine fixed would be a great human interest piece.

In addition I couldn't agree more that without Clay I wouldn't be half as successful in my endeavors.

Bert

#23 3 years ago
    Quoted from cfh:

All you need to do is market the Bowler demo featuring "Dandy". You can get that video running on Netflix.

#24 3 years ago
    Quoted from Vic_Camp:

I was in the gameroom magazine in 2002 and i think in the late 1990's. I'm due again for a EM article for sure and my collection had totally changed. Count me in for anything the magazine needs EM wise. The EM's should always be included or part of any pinball journalism.....If it wasn't for the EM pinball machine there wouldn't even be a hobby today.

Thanks for volunteering again Vic and I agree with what you said - well put. Hopefully we can get you into GRM again.

#25 3 years ago
    Quoted from hoov:

Game Room Magazine

Thanks Dave, I've emailed him.

Bruce

#26 3 years ago
    Quoted from hoov:

Vic Camp
    DirtFlipper
    ron boatcat
    jrpinball
    Cactus Jack
    boilerman
    khead
    stashyboy
    darcy
    empinman
    AlexF
    Odin
    Steve Fury
    Pinballprowess
    way2ward
    Xerico
    cfh
    Ken Layton
    oldcarz
    tunadelight

Thanks for including me with such a great bunch of knowledgeable guys hoov. I wouldn't be half as good on EM restoration if it hadn't been for the direct help of some of the guys on that list when I first got into the hobby and even now, so a big thank you again.

Quoted from iron00monkey:

Thanks for the vote of Confidence Scott. Luckily you can see my stuff in print right here on Pinside. As far as the K&Q project it might be a while before I get to it again as I put another project ahead of it that I am currently working on. Just need some more of that daggum money to get things going faster.

Quoted from hoov:

What I'd like to see:

Ball Bowlers, pitch and bats, and a gun game article
    Early arcade articles
    Juke Box articles

*And, most importantly, I think we need someone from the em side

I personally would love to see a magazine that was just about these topics, but that is most likely not going to happen anytime soon. Because I have no interest in paying to read about SS/DMD machines, I doubt if I will ever subscribe to GRM even if they had an EM section, just being honest.

I am a former newspaper journalist (The Dallas Morning News, Waco Tribune-Herald, San Antonio Express-News, and numerous smaller papers) with two degrees in journalism, and I would be MORE than happy to serve as editor or even co-writer with any of the guys listed above. Alternatively, I could interview any of them on a topic and write the feature article that way. Just wanted to offer.

That sounds like a good angle and generous offer to get some stories from folks who don't have the time and/or inclination to write up a story for the magazine themselves, which I would be good with. If someone from the magazine contacted me and wanted to do a write up that would be fine too. I would have to include older photos of my arcade as it is a mess right now with only 2 pins setup as I am going through some new title changes and don't expect my arcade to be back up to snuff until TPF 2016 with all 5 pins restored and set up.

Ken

#27 3 years ago
    Quoted from EM-PINMAN:

Because I have no interest in paying to read about SS/DMD machines

Same here. I would do a Pinball Fever panel cartoon for them though.

Bruce

#28 3 years ago
    Quoted from pinhead52:

Em's what are those ?
    KensGameroom.jpg

I see you still have that POS on the bottom right of the pic...

3 months later
    #29 3 years ago

Did anyone receive the new GRM with Santa on the cover? Just curious if there was anything em in the issue.

#30 3 years ago

I would be MORE than happy to serve as editor or even co-writer with any of the guys listed above.

or a ghost writer for those of us that have no writing ability

--Jeff

#31 3 years ago

Jeffrey Lawton, the great bingo technician, and I spoke about this in episode 200 of my show.

He had contacted them to let them know that they were welcome to republish any of his articles, and that he had others available if they were interested.

Reception was lukewarm.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure that they (Gameroom) are at all interested in EM content after the change in ownership.

#32 3 years ago
    Quoted from bingopodcast:

Jeffrey Lawton, the great bingo technician, and I spoke about this in episode 200 of my show.
    He had contacted them to let them know that they were welcome to republish any of his articles, and that he had others available if they were interested.
    Reception was lukewarm.
    Unfortunately, I'm not sure that they (Gameroom) are at all interested in EM content after the change in ownership.

Agree,

So far the only article they've written about (what I've heard) in the current issue that's pre-digital is "A Mills Vest Pocket gets an upgrade". No em pinball articles..................

#33 3 years ago

Excellent list of names, and I'm sure there are many others.

*Cad-kid should be on that list too. Also emsinkc.

#34 3 years ago

It would be a start to include an article written every issue by past GRM contributors such as Clay Harrell and Bob Herbison. Also, a revolving game room feature showcasing say Vic Camp's game room as an example would be great. Please e-mail or write a letter to voice your support to include em content in upcoming issues.

Send an e-mail to: support@gameroommagazine.net

Write a letter to: GameRoom Magazine, 6000 S Sinclair Road, Columbia, MO 65203

#35 3 years ago

He responded to my email asking for samples of my pinball cartoons but didn't email back after I sent him some samples.

I don't think he was that interested in EM contributions and I'm wondering if he's biased towards subscribers of the magazine as contributors.

Just my 2 cents
    Bruce

#36 3 years ago

A friend of mine's wife used to do some cartoons for the old Gameroom magazine. They often had an EM flavor and I always enjoyed them.

4 months later
    #37 3 years ago

To all on this thread, we promise we aren't excluding EM on purpose. We work with freelance writers and we simply haven't found someone who's focusing on those types of games. We are slowly building a writer and article base and would love anyone wanting to write to send a sample. Please, our door is open!
    support@gameroommagazine.net

#38 3 years ago
    Quoted from GameRoom_Mag:

To all on this thread, we promise we aren't excluding EM on purpose. We work with freelance writers and we simply haven't found someone who's focusing on those types of games. We are slowly building a writer and article base and would love anyone wanting to write to send a sample. Please, our door is open!
    support@gameroommagazine.net

Thank You!

Looking forward to seeing em content in upcoming issues! I know of 3 or 4 people who told me they submitted their game rooms for your consideration. They said the e-mail mailbox was full but they were going to try to call - that was last I heard. Bob Herbison was supposed to contact you concerning writing articles and last I spoke to Clay Harrell he stated he hasn't been contacted by you yet.

Thanks again.......Dave

#39 3 years ago

We've continually run into some email issues. Use this for a backdoor: gameroommag@gmail.com

5 months later
    #40 2 years ago

GRM came through with Vic Camps game room/em collection the the latest GRM issue - thanks!

There's also a nice article about GTB World Fair
    And, a restoration of a WMS EXPO

IMG_0975 (resized).JPG

#41 2 years ago
    Quoted from presqueisle:

Excellent list of names, and I'm sure there are many others.
    *Cad-kid should be on that list too. Also emsinkc.

I appreciate the mention, but I'm small potatoes compared to a lot of guys. I'd love to have a collection like some of the guys on here, but I have two problems. One, space, and two, a wife who has been understanding, but only up to the point I'm at now.

#42 2 years ago
    Quoted from hoov:

GRM came through with Vic Camps game room/em collection the the latest GRM issue - thanks!
    There's also a nice article about GTB World Fair
    And, a restoration of a WMS EXPO

What month is my article in.

#43 2 years ago

It just came in the mail early this week Vic.

The new GRM is now published quarterly - only 4 issues per year.

#44 2 years ago

I showed that article to my wife as an example of what I want our basement to look like, lol. Great issue.

#45 2 years ago
    Quoted from hoov:

It just came in the mail early this week Vic.
    The new GRM is now published quarterly - only 4 issues per year.

Thanks for the info.....

#46 2 years ago

Hmm, I'd love to see the new EM content but despite signing up and being a former customer left short by the demise of the original Gameroom magazine I've yet to receive another issue since he free preview. I've contacted them several times via email about it and have just been blown off with, "we'll look into it." Are they still in business and sending issues to folks? If so, anyone have some better contacts to reach out to? Thanks...

#47 2 years ago
    Quoted from Strohz:

Hmm, I'd love to see the new EM content but despite signing up and being a former customer left short by the demise of the original Gameroom magazine I've yet to receive another issue since he free preview. I've contacted them several times via email about it and have just been blown off with, "we'll look into it." Are they still in business and sending issues to folks? If so, anyone have some better contacts to reach out to? Thanks...

Here's a link for the new owners:

They were having issues with their e-mail not working awhile back.
    Here's what they said: We've continually run into some email issues. Use this for a backdoor: gameroommag@gmail.com

Post #7 in this thread:

Game Room Magazine
    6000 S. Sinclair Rd.
    Columbia, MO 65203
    http://www.gameroommagazine.net
    (573) 234-2234
    Customer Relations:
    Questions: support@gameroommagazine.net
    Subscriptions: gameroommagazine.net or phone (573) 234-2234
    Check or Pay Pal payments accepted

#48 2 years ago
    Quoted from Strohz:

I thought we got one free Issue and then you had to subscribe with payment if you wanted more. Remember we all got access to every past issue via a website download (a $180.00 value, IIRC) when the previous (3rd) owner ceased publishing when the economy tanked.

#49 2 years ago

I was happy to contribute the World Fair article, hope the community enjoyed it. Nice to contribute to print media, and not just my own blog. Now I just have to get my hands on a copy of the magazine! I guess it is time to subscribe!

I have a few more ideas about "spotlight" EM games, just waiting for the green light from the Gameroom Magazine folks...

#50 2 years ago

Great World Fair article! Enjoyed it.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    € 6.50
    Flipper Parts
    Buthamburg
    Pinball Machine
    Pinball Pro
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 84.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 99.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Docquest Pinball Mods
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 209.99
    $ 36.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Lighting - Backbox
    Lermods
    $ 19.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 59.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    $ 86.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 17.99
    Playfield - Decals
    Lermods
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 249.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Tilttopper
    $ 22.50
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 224.99
    $ 10.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Gweem's Mods
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 999.00
    $ 6,995.00
    Pinball Machine
    Gulf Coast Pinball, LLC
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 16.00
    There are 63 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside