(Topic ID: 120862)

Game room HVAC needs

By boo32

9 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

95085.jpg

#1 9 years ago

I have my games in a 20x24 attached garage. I have 9 pins, two arcade/video games and a dual Daytona driver. I had a guy come and look at the garage to give me an estimate on installing a split unit for heating and ac as I now use a window unit and floor heater which don't do the job. He gave me an estimate of a one ton split based on the size of the room. I told him that it gets really hot with all the machines on and up to 20 people in the room. He said maybe you should bump up to a 1.5 ton. At that point, he was just guessing. This morning he called and said he needs the amperage and voltage for each game so he can add them to the calculation of how much cooling/heating power I need. I have looked for these numbers, but I'm not sure where to find them or exactly what I need to give him. Looking for input on what numbers to give him or advice as to what other people have use with success.

#2 9 years ago

I'm going to have a 30x25 game room built this year and I'm taking bids now from contractors. We're going to put in a 200amp service. I'm not sure about the size of the AC, I told them I like it cold in the summer. We have some serious heat here in LA.

#3 9 years ago

My Gameroom is 25 x 30 and I have a 2 ton wall unit. The room is well insulated it hit 95* last summer and it got ice cold inside the room was empty then. Still waiting for summer to hit again so I can see how it does with a few games and people. I don't think I will have any problems though. I'm also in Louisiana HOT and HUMID!!!!!!

#4 9 years ago

I have a 30' x 60' gameroom with a 80,000BTU gas furnace and 4 ton A/C unit all on 100A service. This runs all 40 games and A/C no problem.

The A/C really needs to be sized for normal conditions, not necessarily for worse case conditions. 95% of the time the games will be off. Oversizing an A/C unit can cause short cycling and/or freezing of the coil. In my case with 40 games, I have parties a few times a year, and with the games and 50 people in there the A/C does not keep up. It helps, but it's not chilly cold in there. The other 362 days of the year the A/C is fine, as I never have all the games on at once.

#5 9 years ago

I agree with schudel. Also, keep the window unit installed and use it during the parties.
    Definitely insulate the walls, ceiling and door or the HVAC will never be able to keep up to the demands.

#6 9 years ago
    Quoted from boo32:

... This morning he called and said he needs the amperage and voltage for each game so he can add them to the calculation of how much cooling/heating power I need. I have looked for these numbers, but I'm not sure where to find them or exactly what I need to give him. Looking for input on what numbers to give him or advice as to what other people have use with success.

You are looking for a sticker like this, usually on the back of the machine.sample mfg label.jpgsample mfg label.jpg

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/game-room-hvac-needs and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.