Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 32 posts
  • 22 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 years ago by Gexchange
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

peppermill2.jpg
    plazanew1.jpg
    New_Arrival_s.jpg
    Rad_and_Lori_s_Gameroom___.jpg
    Rad_and_Lori_s_Gameroom__.jpg
    Rad_and_Lori_s_Gameroom_.jpg
    GRG_with_another_Overhead_light.jpg
    100_0247.JPG
    100_0248.JPG
    MY_VAN_2.jpg
    blacklight1.gif
    #1 12 years ago

I am remodeling my game room and I was wondering what is the best type of flooring for it, I have a pinball machine, pool table, golf machine, darts etc, has anybody has any experience with cork tile or wood flooring? ceramic tile might be out because of the pool table balls droping on the floor, I have carpet right now but is hard to keep clean.

#2 12 years ago

I think some kind of colorful patterned carpeting is best. Something like this ...

blacklight1.gifblacklight1.gif

#3 12 years ago

What is under yr carpet, Concrete or Wood ? Owning my own Flooring Business, i have Lot's of Pict's .

#4 12 years ago

Is this like Golden Tee or a virtual golf game?

#5 12 years ago

I vote for something that gives a little so your feet don't hurt from standing in front of a machine all night

BR, can I bug you about a wood floor question since you're the flooring guru?

#6 12 years ago

Go ahead, but hardwood will Dent and scratch and is Expensive .. Do Not do Laminate
    ( float-n Floor ) unless it's on concrete . Will Warp and will Not be Level on A wood sub-Floor. It Look's GOOD tho ,,

MY_VAN_2.jpgMY_VAN_2.jpg

#7 12 years ago

http://www.ecosurfaces.com/

I have this stuff in my workshop. Insanely durable, looks great, cleans up with a Swiffer. Only thing is it has to be glued down or will stretch/bubble up when you move something heavy across it with a dolly- say like a pinball machine.

#8 12 years ago

I like the 16x16 Stick-back Carpet squqres in this gameroom basement ( Don't ask me about the Owner of this Gameroom ) Very secret !! LOL

100_0248.JPG100_0248.JPG

#9 12 years ago

My Pict's are Huge 4288x3216 .. 1 -more in the pict- is Wolfy on MM and Hooked on CV and Shanetastic on TOM & B_R drink-n a Bloody Mary behind the camera.

100_0247.JPG100_0247.JPG

#10 12 years ago

I'd second the idea of dark carpet, maybe with a pattern of some sort on it.

Dark, so it shows the dirt less. It's gonna get filthy, the proper strategy is to pretend it's clean. As long as your feet don't stick to it, and it's not attracting bugs, it's clean enough, so just get something where you can't see how dirty it is. And if you must, periodically clean the rug with an appropriate contraption.

You don't want to be standing on hard floor for long periods of time (and if you'll look around, most arcades have wall-to-wall carpeting on the floor, assuming there's anything on top of the cement)

#11 12 years ago

How about this Gameroom , Noth-n special, Concrete with 2-coat's of Gray Enamel then Sealed.

GRG_with_another_Overhead_light.jpgGRG_with_another_Overhead_light.jpg

#12 12 years ago

About Every Gameroom that i've been to in Personal Homes have carpet on the Floor. Either Pluch or Thin commercial Grade.. Low Maintenance , but carpet has dust.. Alot to think about.. My Next House WILL have a Furnished basement and Full of pin's and etc... & Glued down Commercial Carpet..

Rad_and_Lori_s_Gameroom_.jpgRad_and_Lori_s_Gameroom_.jpg Rad_and_Lori_s_Gameroom__.jpgRad_and_Lori_s_Gameroom__.jpg Rad_and_Lori_s_Gameroom___.jpgRad_and_Lori_s_Gameroom___.jpg New_Arrival_s.jpgNew_Arrival_s.jpg

#13 12 years ago

Better quality porcelain or ceramic tile is a little thicker than the cheap stuff and should be able to withstand a stray pool ball off the table. I just put in porcelain tile in my basement and got a few extra boxes just in case a few get broken. The labor is what is expensive when doing tile, but it lasts at least 20 years if not your lifetime if it is not totally abused. You can then use some inexpensive but nice looking area rugs to accent and give some padding to standing areas.

Also, if a tile does get broken it is fairly easy to replace one or two. You just chisel out the grout around the broken tile and then hit it with a hammer and scrape away the old thinset. Then you are ready to put new thinset down and lay the tile and grout.

#14 12 years ago

Carpet may have dust as a drawback but it does help keep the noise at a normal level. Ever notice how loud it gets without carpet?

One otehr thing to rember about carpet is static. If you ar going to be doing any board word, ensure you do not fry something on the board with static.

#15 12 years ago

One thing about using tile lineoleum, wood, or carpet with adhesive.. If you mark up a small section, just pop that one out and replace it (and it's usually cheap in tile format, and easy to install). I'm seriously thinking about going that route.

#16 12 years ago

I enjoy working on my pins as much as playing them so I actually havent put anything down in my gameroom. I figure if I put carpeting in, Im bound to drop paint brushes, iron or God knows what else. I will probably put in tile one of these days but for now, I havent put anything. Just concrete. Not to mention carpet does get nasty quick. I do flooring as well for a living and you wouldnt believe the mess thats usually under carpeting. How about a nice engineered floating wood floor? Theres tons of choices. From oak to bamboo or even tigerwood. Not hard to install either and looks nice. It will scratch if you slide a pin across it but you could get felt sliders and put them under your legs if you like to move them around.

#17 12 years ago

Alot of good ideas, I do have cement under my carpet, looking into all of these ideas, I'll go to Home Depo this weekend and see what they have.

#18 12 years ago

I really would not recommend a floating floor if you have a pool table and pinball machines. The floating floor may separate if you slide a pool table or pinball machine on it (even if you use furniture sliders). Also, floating floors scratch fairly easily.
    Hardwood floors are not for concrete because the moisture will cause warping of the floor.

Your best choices on concrete are carpet and tile. I have cats so the carpet was getting old and nasty and the tile discourages any non-litterbox activity.

#19 12 years ago
    Quoted from Kane:

http://www.ecosurfaces.com/
    I have this stuff in my workshop. Insanely durable, looks great, cleans up with a Swiffer. Only thing is it has to be glued down or will stretch/bubble up when you move something heavy across it with a dolly- say like a pinball machine.

Great choice Kane!!!!! I work for Ecore International where your flooring was made.

#20 12 years ago

Speaking of game room carpet, does anyone have a line on something like this?

http://www.valuecarpetonline.com/carpet-black-light.htm

I haven't had any luck locally. Or do I just buck up and pay the ~$85 shipping?

#21 12 years ago

I installed a laminate floor in my last game room and no issues with separation or scratching. It is an affordable way to go if you want a wood look. I now have Berber and it cuts down a lot on the noise and with my games in my basement I am sticking with carpet.

#22 12 years ago

I have hardwood flooring in my living room/game room which is now scratched all to hell because of rusty casters on my area 51 cab. I am not probably going to get my security deposit back.

#23 12 years ago

I vote for carpet as well...
    Either hotel/commercial (Needlefelt), or a really tight low pile. (Berber)
    It can get really loud really fast with multiple pins in an small-ish room with wood or tile. (At least with my volume levels! )
    I also would go with a grey or slightly darker shade to hide dirt...
    Gweem's choice is awesome! lol.
    I will raise it with the "Planet/Rainbow" motif!
    peppermill2.jpgpeppermill2.jpg
    If they made the geometric 50's/60's shapes in a darker color, I would be all over it!
    plazanew1.jpgplazanew1.jpg

#24 12 years ago

What about epoxy flooring if your pins are in the garage?

#25 12 years ago

That second one that Nimble posted looks like something straight out of a 60's bowling alley.

Quoted from kwiKimart:

What about epoxy flooring if your pins are in the garage?

I believe that's exactly what B_R has is his.

2 months later
    #26 12 years ago

You are talking about game room remodeling so you should be aware about the flooring which is highly weighted and easy to clean and I think that slate tile flooring would be the best flooring for your game room because this tile flooring is extremely durable, no scratches will appear if you put something heavy on it, no maintenance and it is heat resistant as well.

#27 12 years ago

I have 3/4" solid red oak and I made my own pin footies with felt pads on the bottom. I like nudging the machines a little and this setup works well. I will probably have game room type carpet squares in my next house and do the footies without the felt on the bottom so I can still nudge them easily.

#28 12 years ago

I have a bland beige standard type of berber. The arcade’ish stuff is great, but I would worry about resale, as it is very unlikely the next buyer will have a home arcade.

#29 12 years ago

Moved to the Gameroom Talk Sub Forum. Pinside Talk is for issues with the forum itself.

#30 12 years ago

*THWACK-THWACK-THWACK!!!*
    Man this is fun!

#31 12 years ago
    Quoted from anishkumar854:

You are talking about game room remodeling so you should be aware about the flooring which is highly weighted and easy to clean and I think that slate tile flooring would be the best flooring for your game room because this tile flooring is extremely durable, no scratches will appear if you put something heavy on it, no maintenance and it is heat resistant as well.

Is this spam? It sure seems like spam to me, but there is no link to a specific product. It's definitely odd that the guy resurrected a two month old thread and hasn't posted before or since.

#32 12 years ago

We just put 5200 SQFT of New Arcade carpet in one of our arcade locations.. http://www.astrocarpetmills.com/ is who I used and have used in the past.. Stuff lasts damn near forever.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/game-room-flooring and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.