Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 106 posts
  • 41 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by arcademojo
  • Topic is favorited by 10 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image-498.jpg
    image-362.jpg
    image-962.jpg
    image-450.jpg
    image-900.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image-940.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    Photo Jan 16, 5 32 27 PM.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    There are 106 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
    #1 9 years ago

I always enjoy seeing other people's threads about game room builds and transformations so I thought I'd throw up a few pictures of the progress on mine. End result will be a 30' x 40' attached garage, 24' in the front for cars, 16' in the back for games. Storage up above the whole space.

So here's what we started with, a half-falling-down 1.5ish car garage that used to be the home of the pins and vids:

From the outsideFrom the outside

Some of the pins inside the old garage.Some of the pins inside the old garage.

All cleared out.All cleared out.

Then it was destruction time:

bobcat.jpgbobcat.jpg

Buh-byeBuh-bye

Construction started just over a week ago:

Foundation work startsFoundation work starts

That's a lot of blocksThat's a lot of blocks

Walls!Walls!

Roof!Roof!

More to come, should have framing complete today and stone/concrete going in for the floor.

#2 9 years ago

NIce! Be looking forward to the updates.

#3 9 years ago
    Quoted from KevInBuffalo:

End result will be a 30' x 40' attached garage, 24' in the front for cars, 16' in the back for games.

Do you want to start a poll when the 24' turns out less over the years and the 16' grows?

#4 9 years ago

1200 sq ft of game room in +-5 years?

What will help keep me from going too overboard (at least in the short term) is that the back half will be finished with heat and AC and the front will not.

#5 9 years ago

Like anything, you'll be surprised how fast space will fill up on both sides. But you're smart in planning ahead for HVAC. I was just kidding but there is some truth to the space changing. I have a small 24x32 garage with 2 car lifts in there. I've been looking into making a deck on the one side for short term pins. Not to mention how fast room filled up in there with all sorts of tables, presses, tools, storage, etc...

#6 9 years ago

Today's progress:

image-180.jpgimage-180.jpg

image.jpgimage.jpg

#7 9 years ago

Love seeing the different ways of building between the USA and Australia.

Ps nice looking garage, games room.

#8 9 years ago

Very nice. I wish I had room for a 30x40 garage. Looks like your garage footage is bigger then the main floor of your house. I'll be following your progress. Oh...how tall is the ceiling going to be? Looks to be 8-9ft. Hope you went with an 8ft tall garage door.

#9 9 years ago
    Quoted from PinPatch:

Love seeing the different ways of building between the USA and Australia.

How would it be built in Australia?

#10 9 years ago

House is ~1,500 sq ft, garage is 1,200. 8' walls.

#11 9 years ago

Very nice. I highly recommend at least insulating the front/garage half.

#12 9 years ago

House is ~1,500 sq ft, garage is 1,200. 8' walls.

That's some nice footage. My house main floor is 744 and my garage is 864 with 10' walls in the main garage and a 8' garage door. But I like your garage better.

#13 9 years ago
    Quoted from MustangPaul:

Well we have to have horizontal timbers throughout all the walls , noggins, generally with a timber frame building we build walls on the concrete slab on a edge beam. We dont ply the entire building especially the roof we use sheet roofing or tiles not shingles.

#14 9 years ago
    Quoted from MustangPaul:

In Square Metres, LOL.

#15 9 years ago

Gonna be awesome! I bet you can't wait

#16 9 years ago

Man I'm jealous!!! I have no more walls to knock out!!!!

#17 9 years ago
    Quoted from PinPatch:

Well we have to have horizontal timbers throughout all the walls , noggins, generally with a timber frame building we build walls on the concrete slab on a edge beam. We dont ply the entire building especially the roof we use sheet roofing or tiles not shingles.

That's interesting thanks.

#18 9 years ago

Will the gameroom garage be insulated and have a separate AC unit?

#19 9 years ago

Yeah. Doing a separate wall unit instead of tying into the furnace/central air.

#20 9 years ago

Yeah. Doing a separate wall unit instead of tying into the furnace/central air.

You live in an area where it snows every year. Expensive, but well worth it in the long run.

#21 9 years ago

With part of the garage floor heated and the other part not I wonder if the concrete floor will do weird things. Have you asked the builder yet? How deep is your frost line where you live?

#22 9 years ago

Where are the pictures of the asshat moving the machines out of the garage?

#23 9 years ago

Hard to take a selfie when you're hauling vids and pins.

#24 9 years ago

Get insulated doors for sure. I'd consider putting in the wires and pipes for heating the whole thing in the future and of course seal and insulate the whole thing good. Get some great stuff pro and hit all the nooks and crannies before they get buried. And yes the pro is well worth it over the regular stuff.

#25 9 years ago

Hard to take a selfie when you're hauling vids and pins.

I have seen selfies of worse deeds.

#26 9 years ago

Getting there...

Guest appearance by the dog.Guest appearance by the dog.

#29 9 years ago

looking good, what a awesome space

#30 9 years ago

Coming along quick. I hope you didn't take my comment about the space negatively. It's a great space you have! I spent a lot of time researching garage builds doing mine and after it's up, it's always a battle keeping the space for what your intent is.

#31 9 years ago

Not at all, I totally understand. Even as big as it is I keep thinking it's not going to be big enough but you have to draw the line somewhere.

#32 9 years ago

Great job Kev, I am very glad I joined a pinball league where you will be the host after construction

#33 9 years ago

Not at all, I totally understand. Even as big as it is I keep thinking it's not going to be big enough but you have to draw the line somewhere.

Hey that's why they make big sheds.

#34 9 years ago
    Quoted from funtimewithdave:

Great job Kev, I am very glad I joined a pinball league where you will be the host after construction

I'm just doing it all for you guys!

#35 9 years ago

but you have to draw the line somewhere.

I wish someone would have shown me where that line was.

#36 9 years ago

You build a large game room / garage, and I will bring the Salsa, Tortilla chips, and beer. Seems fair

#37 9 years ago

Well there's a floor now.

image-502.jpgimage-502.jpg

#38 9 years ago

You forgot the windows.

#39 9 years ago

DAMN. It HUGE! Is that pole the start of the gr? If you used all the gr for games you could put 30 in there. Now ya gotta get the gr partition wall up with a nice BIG steel door with a window in it.

#40 9 years ago
    Quoted from Pinmeister:

You forgot the windows.

No windows, no fade!

Actually we are thinking about adding one on the garage side.

Quoted from MustangPaul:

DAMN. It HUGE! Is that pole the start of the gr? If you used all the gr for games you could put 30 in there. Now ya gotta get the gr partition wall up with a nice BIG steel door with a window in it.

The wall will be behind the pole a few feet. There's going to be a standard 36" man door between the garage and game room, easier in and out when just passing through to the kitchen with groceries, etc. Plus less wall space to worry about leaving open for the door.

#41 9 years ago

Nice job Kevin, you will have a nice game room there. So you originally had your games in the original garage? Was it heated?

#42 9 years ago

No it wasn't, which meant I didn't play them all winter. Glad to be changing that!

#43 9 years ago

Well there's a floor now.

image-502.jpg 153 KB

Interesting how they build the foundation out of block first, frame the structure, then pour the floor last in the north, as opposed to further south, they trench the footer, fill with liquid concrete, then pour the slab and frame off that.

#44 9 years ago

Looking great!!! I like hot it is tied to the house so it will give the appearance that it was there all along, rather than an afterthought.

Nice work! Cant wait to see the rest!

Chris

#45 9 years ago
    Quoted from HighSpeed1:

Interesting how they build the foundation out of block first, frame the structure, then pour the floor last in the north, as opposed to further south, they trench the footer, fill with liquid concrete, then pour the slab and frame off that.

i had my basement floor compacted and they used a vapor barrier and wire and a higher psi concrete and it still cracked. I think they are using cheaper cement nowadays or not thick enough. Only suggestion I might have made would be to put a few floor outlets in to avoid extension cords. Keep posting pics!

#46 9 years ago

No it wasn't, which meant I didn't play them all winter. Glad to be changing that!

Did you run into any problems with them leaving them in the unheated garage, other than not wanting to go play them? Winters get cold up here.

#47 9 years ago

The stripper pole in the middle of the garage just doesn't look right in primer gray, I would have spent a little more & gotten the polished chrome one for sure.

#48 9 years ago
    Quoted from HighSpeed1:

they trench the footer, fill with liquid concrete, then pour the slab and frame off that.

That's the way mine was done about 8 years ago and I live in MN.

#50 9 years ago
    Quoted from HighSpeed1:

He said he likes to do the floor last so it doesn't get beat up while they're doing construction, which I appreciate.

Quoted from Meph:

Did you run into any problems with them leaving them in the unheated garage, other than not wanting to go play them? Winters get cold up here.

Never had an issue, even with the glass marquee on my Tron arcade game. Biggest problem with the cold is condensation, so if you turn them on in the cold moisture builds up and then there's trouble. I would usually wait until it hit 50 or so outside before firing everything back up in the spring.

There are 106 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/game-room-build-underway and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.