Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 359 posts
  • 63 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by PAPPYBALL
  • Topic is favorited by 94 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

56921A38-ED61-4A11-ACFC-EA82E6732569 (resized).jpeg
    15EC5ACE-DA8B-4096-90A3-B7C205020D4E (resized).jpeg
    50657C37-EF81-4033-B8C6-F5E2E5D15125 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_2277 - Copy.jpg
    IMG_2202 - Copy.jpg
    IMG_1764 - Copy (resized).jpg
    IMG_1233.JPG
    IMG_1611.JPG
    IMG_1607.JPG
    61628518686__5D988DAB-700F-4F25-9324-E2EE5E29958E.JPG
    IMG_0049 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0050 (resized).JPG
    IMG_7657 (resized).JPG
    IMG_7592 (resized).JPG
    IMG_7590 (resized).JPG
    IMG_8795 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider chosen_s.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#132 7 years ago

Just read through the thread, , it gets me really excited for my own game room build.

I have an unraid setup too!

I undertasnd that you are planning to use kodi for your media. I used xbmc/kodi for years, but found plex through a friend about a year ago. It's scraping and ui has saved me so much time when adding or changing my library. My family has thanked me as well, it's much more user friendly for kids and wife that don't quite get a grip on the controls to manage kodi.

Plex also allows access to all your media outside your network if you have a gold pass. Not a salesman here just found kodi consuming too much time with scrapers not functioning consistently, having aspect ratios go crazy when I changed anything in my media player, or having a power outage throw things off. Plex seems to be more polished since it is a commercial product.

Let us know your setup as far as kodi and media serving goes, can't wait to see how your theater turns out!

3 weeks later
    #145 7 years ago

I have a rich uncle, but he's tighter than a superband

2 months later
    #188 7 years ago
    Quoted from MustangPaul:

Cool. All your chairs gonna be full loungers?

@4k, they better be ! Hehe

3 months later
    #197 7 years ago

WAY to go! It's really coming along nicely!!!

Im getting really close to start on my game room, I just need to STOP buying games! why do all the good deals happen right when I am about to apply for permits?!?!?!?

#199 7 years ago
    Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

Thanks. I'm loving the space.
    Permits?

Yeah... I'm going to build a 2 story extension to my house, and there's electrical wires to deal with that are in the way, soooooo... I just finished the design of the exterior and I have to take the design for the third time to city hall to get permits to build

#203 7 years ago
    Quoted from MustangPaul:

Cool, a 2 story gameroom.

hehe, you'd expect me to say... well, it's going to be many things... but yes, a 2 story gameroom in my backyard, I'll post a thread soon, in actuality; it will be less square footage as yours, but I have to build up, and there's no chance of basements in the desert where I live

5 months later
    #219 6 years ago
    Quoted from MustangPaul:

Nice. Make sure ya run an ac duct in there with an exhaust fan.

Good call

1 month later
    #223 6 years ago

I finally picked out my lighting for the game room. There will be six of these "Steampunk" light fixtures mounted to the ceiling. I have two separate circuits, one on each side of the game room. I ordered one just to see if I liked it since they don't accept returns. I didn't want to spend a ton of money on lighting only to find out I didn't like it.
    Here it is installed along with a picture of the fixture from their website since I forgot to take a picture with the light turned off.

That’s really cool! I’m trying to pick out my lighting as well, but I’m concerned about lights on the ceiling reflecting on the pins glass... what are your thoughts?

1 year later
    #286 5 years ago

I run Emby on my unRAID server as a Docker app. You just have to generate an API key and tell the app what device it needs to watch.

Nice! Finally someone who runs an unraid server too! I’ve had mine going about 5 years now, running Plex and having a blast. I’m also in on another unraid server that my friend hosts... never run out of content!!!

#288 5 years ago

Just in case you're curious, unRAID is an operating system you can run on a computer from a flash drive. It controls an array of various hard drives for storage. When you run out of storage, you just slap in another drive and viola, more storage. It also allows me to run programs that provide more functionality than just raw storage.
    Emby for example, is my centralized database for media content. The unRAID server has a variety of TV shows and Movies. Its job is to synchronize the database between devices. That keeps me from having to add the new content to all of the devices in my house.
    Emby also allows for remote access. For example, if I want to stream a TV show to my computer at work during lunch, Emby provides that functionality. I also gave my sister and her husband a Raspberry Pi so they can stream all of my content to their TV.
    Think Netflix, but a much higher quality picture and hosted in your house.

I think I've been running an unRAID server since 2011. My tower is maxed out with drives, so I'm going to have to start swapping in larger drives. I currently have 2TB free of 27TB, so it won't be long before I have to start upgrading drives. Unless I move forward with the Norco 4224 case I've been eying up....

A few inquiries...
    What app is running your vertical preview TV with the Movie posters?
    Are you using a Movies Organization / automated app? (I can't seem to find a decent working one, couch potato does very little for me, I almost do everything by hand)

I had used xbmc (kodi) for the longest time (ever since the original xbox), then I discovered plex a while back and hadn't looked back, we have Roku's at all of my families houses and access everything from them, we would have done Rpi's, but the ease of setup and other readily available apps made the Roku the devise of choice... I'm tapped out at 27tb and started to delete content (mostly daily shows, or reality shows my wife watches), I'll start upgrading drives soon, just hadn't had space to work in. I bought a bunch of 2 tb drives on special a year ago, and now there's 10tb drives!!?? crazy talk... I don't think I'll dump my current setup, I'll just build another unraid box and run both, at least until the first is obsolete by a mile.

that Norco 4224 case looks killer, That may be the case of choice in the near future for me as well, I need to look back in to lime techs drive cap to see if its viable

EDIT: I have a pro license, so... unlimited drives / storage... that answered the question of the rebuilding of the server, I'll just ditch my current case and upgrade when it comes time, I'll probably need to upgrade my mobo as well for more pci slots to add more sata connections

#291 5 years ago

I run this app on a Asus VivoStick.
    https://www.movieposterapp.com/
    The VivoStick does alright, but I wouldn't try to do anything else with the damn thing. It's just too slow.

Yikes, by hand! I used to do that and then bailed on it. It became way to time consuming. I have it listed above, but I run Emby and have the Premier Key which allows for remote access to my media from the iPhone / Android app or any web browser. It also works as a plugin with Kodi or an app for Roku. I've been buying the TCL Roku TVs for the basement and just use the app to connect to Emby. Emby monitors the shares and whenever new media is added it downloads all the metadata and adds it to the database. You can go in and change the poster or background image if you want. The only thing it doesn't do is download the trailers.
    https://emby.media/

Do you have a parity drive? If so, why not just rip out one of the 2TB drives and install a 6TB drive? You'll need to make sure that the parity drive gets replaced first because you can't have any drives larger than the parity drive. So technically, you'll need two drives to start upgrading. 6TB WD Red (7200rpm) drives are $232 right now.

You can always add in a PCI-e SATA card you can grab for $25 provided your case has enough bays. I ended up needing a 2 x 5.25" to 3 x 3.5" drive cage, but it was only $23.
    amazon.com link »
    amazon.com link »
    Let me know if you have any more questions.

Yup, got a 4tb parity drive in place, I’ve been adding 2tb drives in one at a time, but I’ve got a few 500gb and 1 tb drives in play that need to be traded out, I think I have 9 drives including parity in unraid and 4 more drives on a network share that has current content that finds its way over to the unraid when it’s time to flush out... thanks for the heads up on movie poster app and emby, I’ve got a buddy that uses emby, but we haven’t discussed it much...

I use a special commercial server grade pcie sata card that is upgradeable via proprietary sata cables, the card can host 8 or more drives I believe, I can dig into it more if you need info.... just need more space to work with (which I’m working on)

Thanks for the links! Man stuff is so cheap now! A hand full of years ago that hardware was 10x the price

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider chosen_s.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/game-room-build-thread?tu=chosen_s and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.