Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 359 posts
  • 63 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by PAPPYBALL
  • Topic is favorited by 94 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

56921A38-ED61-4A11-ACFC-EA82E6732569 (resized).jpeg
    15EC5ACE-DA8B-4096-90A3-B7C205020D4E (resized).jpeg
    50657C37-EF81-4033-B8C6-F5E2E5D15125 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_2277 - Copy.jpg
    IMG_2202 - Copy.jpg
    IMG_1764 - Copy (resized).jpg
    IMG_1233.JPG
    IMG_1611.JPG
    IMG_1607.JPG
    61628518686__5D988DAB-700F-4F25-9324-E2EE5E29958E.JPG
    IMG_0049 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0050 (resized).JPG
    IMG_7657 (resized).JPG
    IMG_7592 (resized).JPG
    IMG_7590 (resized).JPG
    IMG_8795 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider MustangPaul.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#6 8 years ago

VERY well thought out. Now what have you been thinking for flooring and ceilings in the different sections?

#11 8 years ago
    Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

Short nap carpet in the game room.

That's what I have in black light, it's called Under the Sea and VERY colorful with brightly colored fish, coral and other things with 3/8 inch thick memory foam padding which is antimicrobal and doubles as a vapor barrier.

1 week later
    #29 8 years ago

Does anyone have a creative way to keep the wires out of the way of the drywallers?

The only thing I can think of is a thick copper shield. Like maybe 1/8th inch thick.

2 months later
    #47 7 years ago

My brother in law said although it sucks, I should roll it.

I just finished rolling primer and 2 coats paint on the walls and ceiling of my 24x24x10 garage and it took a loooooong time. I should have gotten that paint that goes on as a color, can't remember what color when it's wet but dries white. I missed all kinds of spots cuz I couldn't see where I had left off when I went to put more paint on the roller.

#51 7 years ago

Don't tell me that! Just the game room is 48 x 17 x 8.

Oh crap....you better ask for help. Just remember the top coat is only as good as the coat before it....runs, drips, sags. etc.

#62 7 years ago
    Quoted from dmacy:

And I almost wonder do you need one?

My thoughts too, if he doesn't have water in the basement he shouldn't need it. If he does he needs a drainage system put in which is $$$$$ for that size basement then he could just put padding and carpet down. My house is 75 years old (you'd never guess it by looking at it) and my basement has never had water in it, granted you can get water vapor coming up through the floor but the memory foam is a vapor barrier too so I have no problems, it's great stuff.

#65 7 years ago
    Quoted from markp99:

I put DriCore in my basement >10-15yrs ago. Yes, was a bit expensive as noted, but went down quickly and without many complications. I do enjoy that my carpet and pad are not sitting on bare concrete. Much warmer underfoot.
    Our basement floor had some condensation issues prior to finishing the basement. No issues with mold/mildew all these years later. We do run a dehumidifier in summer months that drains to my AC condensate pump for a hands-off solution. I am presuming the fact that the DriCore stands off the concrete permits moisture to be removed. I am guessing carpets alone would have been a stinky mess by now.
    Pins are happy down there.

Yes if you have a condensation problem then you need it.

#75 7 years ago

I did the plastic taped to the floor test. I taped, completly all the way around 8, 18 inch squares of polyethylene plastic film to 8 different sections of my floor and left them on for 48 hours and there was moisture on the underside of the plastic or the floor so I put down the Memory foam and carpet. 2 years and counting and no problems. I run a dehumidifier during the summer and pull about a gallon a week out of the air. It doesn't pull any out of the air in the winter. Google "Basement floor moisture vapor test" and a bunch of stuff comes up, that's how I found out about the test I did.

#78 7 years ago
    Quoted from investingdad:

bare drywall drinks primer...you may be surprised how much you need.

Aint that the truth. I wouldn't be surprised if he needed another 5 gallons. Then most likely 2 coats of paint.

#86 7 years ago

Thanks everyone for the comments!!!
    According to the Sherwin Williams guys, the coverage for the PVA primer is ~350 - 400sq ft / gallon. I went off the drywallers estimate of 4,233sq ft of drywall. I'm hoping I have enough because it only comes in 5g buckets. It's pretty cheap, so I won't cry if I have to buy more.

My brother in law said the same thing.
    The drywallers finished up yesterday so I no longer have huge fans running 24/7 in the basement. I went to look at some flooring options and damn is that stuff expensive. It looks like carpet is going to run about $5.50sq yard and the hardwood upwards of 8sq foot not including installation.
    The gameroom + theater is about 980sq ft, so the carpet isn't going to be horrible. I need to measure the bar / pool table area. My design program doesn't break them out very well as far as measurements. After talking with the flooring place, I think I'm going to go with the memory foam (1/2") in the game room with a shorter nap berber type carpet.
    He also said that there was no reason for a sub floor under either. I think I'm still going to go with the Delta FL for the hardwood just for the thermal break, but skip the OSB.
    I wanted to get some painting done last night, but my wife bought a new microwave to go with her new stove, so I got stuck hanging that.

I payed $20 per yard for my black light carpet so $5.50 per yard aint bad......I know you meant per yard. I went with 3/8 inch Memory foam and love it. Got it at Menards when they had a 11% rebate sale.

#88 7 years ago
    Quoted from investingdad:

Don't skimp on the carpet and pad. This is money well spent. A really dense carpet with medium nap is a good combo.
    Our mom and pop shop spent a lot of time with us trying different combos of pad and carpet. Don't do a big box on this one.

Big Box is ok for the Memory Foam pad especially with an 11% rebate.

3 months later
    2 weeks later
    #148 7 years ago

While I'm waiting for my bank account to recover, I thought I would start working on the riser in the theater. We skipped working on Saturday due to the show in York and only worked on Sunday.
    Layout took about 2 hours, then another 1.5h in Home Depot picking out lumber, looking at low voltage riser lighting, etc. Finished up about 11pm last night and got it completely framed.
    I'm waiting on step lights from Amazon and then I can run the wire for both the lighting and the outlets for the chairs.
    The riser, when finished, will be 10" high unless I decided to do a second layer of T&G 3/4" OSB on top. I'm not sure if I'll need to extra 3/4" or not.

Are you going to put insulation in it to get some sound deadening?

1 week later
    #157 7 years ago

I'm not an Acoustician, but here is my understanding. Without anything inside the riser, it becomes a giant resonator. Think of a drum. By adding the insulation, and adding some fake vents at the wall and corner intersection, it will function as a broadband bass absorber. It will help with a smoother subwoffer response and decay times.
    That's the reason for the perimeter being made of 2 x 10's and the stringers being 2 x 8's. That allows the riser to be "seen" as one cavity.
    There are a lot of waterfall plots flying around of people that have done it both ways. I kind of understand what I'm looking at, but not completely. As I'm going further with this, it appears as though acoustics is a lot like chili. Everyone starts with a similar base and then fine tunes things for each room. The problem is that no one will share their calculations / secrets unless you pony up $1,000+ for plans drawn specific to your room.

Do you have assess to a pink noise generator?

#160 7 years ago
    Quoted from fordtudoor:

Any high quality (notice I didn't say expensive) surround sound processor will have a pink noise generator built in the unit. Any processor that has software for room EQ will have it. Even my cheap Pioneer VSX524 ($150) that I use for a 5.1 system in the lounge area has built-in room correction software and a microphone for setting up the speakers. That uses pink noise for each channel.

Mine has it too, just wondering if Spyder has one.

1 week later
    #163 7 years ago

Oh man I hope you didn't do any permanent damage to your toe. A friend of mine had to have one of his toes cut off cuz it got infected from stepping on a rusty piece of metal.

1 month later
    #185 7 years ago

Are you going to have a Premier Night? What will be the movie?

#187 7 years ago

Cool. All your chairs gonna be full loungers?

3 months later
    #200 7 years ago
    Quoted from Chosen_S:

Yeah... I'm going to build a 2 story extension to my house, and there's electrical wires to deal with that are in the way, soooooo... I just finished the design of the exterior and I have to take the design for the third time to city hall to get permits to build

Cool, a 2 story gameroom.

#202 7 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Man that's the dream isn't it?! one of the Arcades in my town growing up was an old 3 story house they converted...3 floors of games was like the coolest thing you could ever think of.

Oh man yeah.

#204 7 years ago
    Quoted from Chosen_S:

hehe, you'd expect me to say... well, it's going to be many things... but yes, a 2 story gameroom in my backyard, I'll post a thread soon, in actuality; it will be less square footage as yours, but I have to build up, and there's no chance of basements in the desert where I live

Yes please start a topic about the build, I for one would follow.

4 months later
    #206 6 years ago

It's been forever and a day since I really got a chance to do anything, but my wallet is starting to recover and I'll be moving forward with some purchases. This stuff is freakin' expensive when you get to this point.
    The only update I have right now is that I got my Goldenear Invisa MPX speakers for the columns. I was planning on building a panel to hide the speakers, but I think they look cool enough that I'm going to leave them uncovered.
    I'm ordering the carpet for the theater today and have started painting the trim.

With your beautiful build I can see why you wallet is hurting. Top notch all the way. What's your carpet choice? Mild or wild?

1 month later
    #214 6 years ago

I'm a little late with this, but except for the door and buying three more seats, the theater is done.
    I finished the crown, chair and base molding. Had the carpet installed, wired up the step lights and finished the last 5 velvet covered panels for the screen wall and the soffit face. I chose velvet for the soffit face since I have a CIH screen. The projector zooms in on the image and projects the normal black bars above and below the screen. A little of the light was hitting the soffit face. With the velvet there, you can't even see it.
    The pictures don't do the room justice. For some reason the Edison lights wash out the colors.
    I think I'm going to go with the flooring in the bar area and cabinets next.

Oh man that looks GREAT! Wish I could be there for the first screening. What's gonna be the first "official" projection?

#216 6 years ago

Oh that's gonna be a killer screening.

#218 6 years ago

Nice. Make sure ya run an ac duct in there with an exhaust fan.

#221 6 years ago

A friend of mine years ago did that with a closet and only used a couple of computer fans and heat damaged a lot of expensive av equipment.

10 months later
    #253 5 years ago

wrap the columns at the bar.

What are ya gonna wrap them in? Oh and a brass foot rail for the bar would look great.

#256 5 years ago

The plan is stone. Then the back wall will have a reclaimed lumber section behind the TV as an accent. The rest of the wall behind the bar will be stone.
    I’m going for the stone / reclaimed lumber contrast. A little stone on the columns and a lot of lumber on the bar. Then a little lumber on the back wall and a lot of stone.
    At least that’s the plan.
    As for the foot rail, there are already nailers in the framing. I’m leaning towards building one out of pipe fittings to match the game room lights.

I see. Is the front of the bar going to be dark or are you going to try lighting it with an led strip under the front lip of the top?

#258 5 years ago

you will have to take off your shoes.

That's the rule at my place too except in Gameroom II in the garage.

#260 5 years ago

Looks like not enough room behind the bar. What side/sides against a wall?

#264 5 years ago

I'm not going with any shelves or wall cabinets. Any liquor I have will be in the base cabinets. I might drink liquor once a year, so I really don't have any desire to showcase the bottles.

But you have to impress people with booze bottles in your bar ya know, otherwise it's not a true bar.

#266 5 years ago

Not my thing though.

I hear ya, I'm not a hard liquor drinker either.

#269 5 years ago

TV is up. The plan was a section of reclaimed lumber behind the TV, then the rest of the back wall in stone. I was going to put sconces up on each side of the TV.
    The problem is that my mount is pretty damn low profile, so if I put lumber behind the TV, I can no longer get to the screws at the bottom of the mount that keep the TV from being able to be picked up off it's mount. It's just a safety thing and I'm pretty sure nothing would happen, so I might just forget about the screws.
    I also picked a decent sized TV for the wall (it must be a guy thing), so there isn't much space for contrasting stone / lumber.
    Might have to think on this one a little more....
    [quoted image]

Bigger is better.

2 months later
    #273 5 years ago

I'm still moving along, albeit slowly. My buddy and I moved some of the games downstairs into a temporary location. Once I get the carpet, they can be moved to the other side.
    I did install the beer fridge and get that stocked, so that's a plus. Damn thing holds 4 cases of bottles.
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]

Nice, now you have something to play while you drink your cold beer. Your WD is easy to spot in the second picture.

3 weeks later
    #282 5 years ago

I run Emby my unRAID server as a Docker app. You just have to generate an API key and tell the app what device it needs to watch.

I'm sure I'm not the only one here that says "say what"? That's way cool.

#284 5 years ago
    Quoted from arcademojo:

And just run a thingamajig to doohickey connected to the whatchamacallit operated by the apperatish and all's fine.

Oh now I understand thanks.

#293 5 years ago
    Quoted from SOMaine5-0:

Finally finished building out my game room
    [quoted image]

WOW you have a lot of people space, that's nice to have.

1 month later
    #298 5 years ago

They want about $8k to do the bar.

8k for a piece of rock??? Make a frame, cover it with new pennies and pore epoxy over it.

#301 5 years ago

Hmmmm I'd rather have a new LE game.

7 months later
    #320 4 years ago

Sorry to hear that about you wife. How's she doing?

#322 4 years ago

Happy to hear that. Fractures are no fun, my pelvis was fractured in 3 places (4 places actually hold it together). Took me months to recover.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider MustangPaul.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/game-room-build-thread?tu=MustangPaul and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.