Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 359 posts
  • 63 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by PAPPYBALL
  • Topic is favorited by 94 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

56921A38-ED61-4A11-ACFC-EA82E6732569 (resized).jpeg
    15EC5ACE-DA8B-4096-90A3-B7C205020D4E (resized).jpeg
    50657C37-EF81-4033-B8C6-F5E2E5D15125 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_2277 - Copy.jpg
    IMG_2202 - Copy.jpg
    IMG_1764 - Copy (resized).jpg
    IMG_1233.JPG
    IMG_1611.JPG
    IMG_1607.JPG
    61628518686__5D988DAB-700F-4F25-9324-E2EE5E29958E.JPG
    IMG_0049 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0050 (resized).JPG
    IMG_7657 (resized).JPG
    IMG_7592 (resized).JPG
    IMG_7590 (resized).JPG
    IMG_8795 (resized).jpg
    There are 359 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 8.
    #251 5 years ago

Looks really nice and classy. What's left? Looks like you're ready to invite everyone?!

#252 5 years ago
    Quoted from dmacy:

Looks really nice and classy. What's left? Looks like you're ready to invite everyone?!

I wish. But you're welcome to stop by anytime.

Cabinets and granite for the bar and carpet for the game room. I also need to buy and hang all the TVs an wrap the columns at the bar.

Oh and a door for the theater.

#253 5 years ago
    Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

wrap the columns at the bar.

What are ya gonna wrap them in? Oh and a brass foot rail for the bar would look great.

#254 5 years ago
    Quoted from MustangPaul:

What are ya gonna wrap them in? Oh and a brass foot rail for the bar would look great.

The plan is stone. Then the back wall will have a reclaimed lumber section behind the TV as an accent. The rest of the wall behind the bar will be stone.

I’m going for the stone / reclaimed lumber contrast. A little stone on the columns and a lot of lumber on the bar. Then a little lumber on the back wall and a lot of stone.

At least that’s the plan.

As for the foot rail, there are already nailers in the framing. I’m leaning towards building one out of pipe fittings to match the game room lights.

#255 5 years ago

I wish. But you're welcome to stop by anytime.
    Cabinets and granite for the bar and carpet for the game room. I also need to buy and hang all the TVs an wrap the columns at the bar.
    Oh and a door for the theater.

Seriously, that is a sharp looking game/theatre/basement! Do I have to wear a suit and tie to walk in? Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

#256 5 years ago

The plan is stone. Then the back wall will have a reclaimed lumber section behind the TV as an accent. The rest of the wall behind the bar will be stone.
    I’m going for the stone / reclaimed lumber contrast. A little stone on the columns and a lot of lumber on the bar. Then a little lumber on the back wall and a lot of stone.
    At least that’s the plan.
    As for the foot rail, there are already nailers in the framing. I’m leaning towards building one out of pipe fittings to match the game room lights.

I see. Is the front of the bar going to be dark or are you going to try lighting it with an led strip under the front lip of the top?

#257 5 years ago
    Quoted from MustangPaul:

I see. Is the front of the bar going to be dark or are you going to try lighting it with an led strip under the front lip of the top?

I'm planning on accenting the reclaimed lumber with lighting.

Quoted from dmacy:

Seriously, that is a sharp looking game/theatre/basement! Do I have to wear a suit and tie to walk in? Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

Thanks! No suit and tie necessary, but you will have to take off your shoes.

#258 5 years ago

you will have to take off your shoes.

That's the rule at my place too except in Gameroom II in the garage.

#259 5 years ago

I think I found my cabinets for the bar. Got a price and a drawing from the guy yesterday. I sent my wife down to grab two samples so I can see which one I like better with the floor. In the store, I liked the one in the picture better, but that doesn't mean it will work with the floor. Ignore the solid surface in the picture. That's just what they had on display.

Drawing (resized).JPGDrawing (resized).JPG

IMG_8956 (resized).JPGIMG_8956 (resized).JPG

#260 5 years ago

Looks like not enough room behind the bar. What side/sides against a wall?

#261 5 years ago

There will be over 3 1/2' of space between the cabinets which will be just fine. The minimum space (from my reading) is 30".

#262 5 years ago

What are you using for shelves? I changed my glass to polished aluminium and imo it looks better without the chance of the shelf breaking.

#263 5 years ago

I'm not going with any shelves or wall cabinets. Any liquor I have will be in the base cabinets. I might drink liquor once a year, so I really don't have any desire to showcase the bottles.

#264 5 years ago

I'm not going with any shelves or wall cabinets. Any liquor I have will be in the base cabinets. I might drink liquor once a year, so I really don't have any desire to showcase the bottles.

But you have to impress people with booze bottles in your bar ya know, otherwise it's not a true bar.

#265 5 years ago
    Quoted from MustangPaul:

But you have to impress people with booze bottles in your bar ya know, otherwise it's not a true bar.

It’s funny you say that because my wife brought that up when I showed her my 3D renderings. “Where are you going to put the liquor and glasses?” To which I replied, “in the damn cabinets”.

She thought it was weird too. Not my thing though.

#266 5 years ago

Not my thing though.

I hear ya, I'm not a hard liquor drinker either.

#267 5 years ago

I ordered the cabinets yesterday along with the built in beer fridge. I just grabbed a 55” 4K TV for behind the bar a little while ago.

The cabinets he said were an in stock item so I should have them next week. The damn fridge is going to take 2 weeks to get here. I could have got it faster elsewhere, but I had a $1,000 Home Depot gift card I wanted to use.

I’m gaining on the finish line. After cabinets it’s on to granite, carpet for the game room and a door for the theater.

Woo Hoo!!!

#268 5 years ago

TV is up. The plan was a section of reclaimed lumber behind the TV, then the rest of the back wall in stone. I was going to put sconces up on each side of the TV.

The problem is that my mount is pretty damn low profile, so if I put lumber behind the TV, I can no longer get to the screws at the bottom of the mount that keep the TV from being able to be picked up off it's mount. It's just a safety thing and I'm pretty sure nothing would happen, so I might just forget about the screws.

I also picked a decent sized TV for the wall (it must be a guy thing), so there isn't much space for contrasting stone / lumber.

Might have to think on this one a little more....

IMG_9021 (resized).JPGIMG_9021 (resized).JPG

#269 5 years ago

TV is up. The plan was a section of reclaimed lumber behind the TV, then the rest of the back wall in stone. I was going to put sconces up on each side of the TV.
    The problem is that my mount is pretty damn low profile, so if I put lumber behind the TV, I can no longer get to the screws at the bottom of the mount that keep the TV from being able to be picked up off it's mount. It's just a safety thing and I'm pretty sure nothing would happen, so I might just forget about the screws.
    I also picked a decent sized TV for the wall (it must be a guy thing), so there isn't much space for contrasting stone / lumber.
    Might have to think on this one a little more....
    [quoted image]

Bigger is better.

#270 5 years ago
    Quoted from MustangPaul:

Bigger is better.

The tighter the sweater.

3 weeks later
    #271 5 years ago

Cabinets are in. I still need to adjust all the doors, install the hardware and toe kick, but they are all level and attached. I used this leveling system I found online as opposed to shims. Pretty cool system. I was able to split the laser beam in half they are so level.

IMG_9300 (resized).JPGIMG_9300 (resized).JPG

IMG_9301 (resized).JPGIMG_9301 (resized).JPG

IMG_9302 (resized).JPGIMG_9302 (resized).JPG

IMG_9295 (resized).JPGIMG_9295 (resized).JPG

IMG_9299 (resized).JPGIMG_9299 (resized).JPG

1 month later
    #272 5 years ago

I'm still moving along, albeit slowly. My buddy and I moved some of the games downstairs into a temporary location. Once I get the carpet, they can be moved to the other side.

I did install the beer fridge and get that stocked, so that's a plus. Damn thing holds 4 cases of bottles.

IMG_0090 (resized).JPGIMG_0090 (resized).JPG

IMG_0101 (resized).JPGIMG_0101 (resized).JPG

IMG_0176 (resized).JPGIMG_0176 (resized).JPG

IMG_0224 (resized).JPGIMG_0224 (resized).JPG

#273 5 years ago

I'm still moving along, albeit slowly. My buddy and I moved some of the games downstairs into a temporary location. Once I get the carpet, they can be moved to the other side.
    I did install the beer fridge and get that stocked, so that's a plus. Damn thing holds 4 cases of bottles.
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]

Nice, now you have something to play while you drink your cold beer. Your WD is easy to spot in the second picture.

#274 5 years ago

Damn thing holds 4 cases of bottles.

Not for long!

2 weeks later
    #275 5 years ago

[quoted image]
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]

What make and model is the beer fridge you have/ I have been looking for a nice small one like that. Room is looking great! Take your time and do it right, it will be worth it!

Chris

#276 5 years ago
    Quoted from SilverUnicorn:

What make and model is the beer fridge you have/ I have been looking for a nice small one like that. Room is looking great! Take your time and do it right, it will be worth it!
    Chris

It's the Avallon ABR241SGRH. I got mine from Home Depot. It has both white and blue LEDs that you can have on all the time, or only when you open the door. I can't complain about it.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Avallon-152-Can-24-in-Built-in-Beverage-Cooler-in-Black-and-Stainless-Steel-ABR241SGRH/206908202

#277 5 years ago

Think you need this carpet around your game room.

3867C212-E18A-44D6-8C63-DD77987BBF0B (resized).jpeg3867C212-E18A-44D6-8C63-DD77987BBF0B (resized).jpeg
    #278 5 years ago
    Quoted from dmacy:

Think you need this carpet around your game room.
    [quoted image]

That's just wrong...

1 week later
    #279 5 years ago

I did a little more work over the holiday. I picked up a TV to use as a digital movie poster. It scrolls through a poster every 30 seconds and plays a trailer for some of the movies. It's synched with my theater, so when I start a movie it changes to "Now Playing" and displays all the information for the movie I'm playing.

Klipsch speakers were on sale and my old ones were probably 20 years old, so I replaced the fronts, the center and the sub.

56478001505__C94F6A5F-6676-44E9-82DE-8333B2E28354 (resized).JPG56478001505__C94F6A5F-6676-44E9-82DE-8333B2E28354 (resized).JPG

56478015964__1AEDA146-3311-4F64-BA23-79A539ACE329 (resized).JPG56478015964__1AEDA146-3311-4F64-BA23-79A539ACE329 (resized).JPG

IMG_0661 (resized).JPGIMG_0661 (resized).JPG

IMG_0673 (resized).JPGIMG_0673 (resized).JPG

#280 5 years ago

Nice!! What are you using for your media player to trigger the TV? I haven't looked into meyer64's MoviePoster's software much, but need to set that up in my media room as well after you motivating me more

#281 5 years ago
    Quoted from ScottyC:

Nice!! What are you using for your media player to trigger the TV? I haven't looked into meyer64's MoviePoster's software much, but need to set that up in my media room as well after you motivating me more

I run Emby on my unRAID server as a Docker app. You just have to generate an API key and tell the app what device it needs to watch.

#282 5 years ago

I run Emby my unRAID server as a Docker app. You just have to generate an API key and tell the app what device it needs to watch.

I'm sure I'm not the only one here that says "say what"? That's way cool.

#283 5 years ago
    Quoted from MustangPaul:

I run Emby my unRAID server as a Docker app. You just have to generate an API key and tell the app what device it needs to watch.

And just run a thingamajig to doohickey connected to the whatchamacallit operated by the apperatish and all's fine.

#284 5 years ago
    Quoted from arcademojo:

And just run a thingamajig to doohickey connected to the whatchamacallit operated by the apperatish and all's fine.

Oh now I understand thanks.

#285 5 years ago
    Quoted from arcademojo:

You sure it’s a thingamajig? I thought this one needed a thingamabob.

#286 5 years ago

I run Emby on my unRAID server as a Docker app. You just have to generate an API key and tell the app what device it needs to watch.

Nice! Finally someone who runs an unraid server too! I’ve had mine going about 5 years now, running Plex and having a blast. I’m also in on another unraid server that my friend hosts... never run out of content!!!

#287 5 years ago
    Quoted from MustangPaul:

Just in case you're curious, unRAID is an operating system you can run on a computer from a flash drive. It controls an array of various hard drives for storage. When you run out of storage, you just slap in another drive and viola, more storage. It also allows me to run programs that provide more functionality than just raw storage.

Emby for example, is my centralized database for media content. The unRAID server has a variety of TV shows and Movies. Its job is to synchronize the database between devices. That keeps me from having to add the new content to all of the devices in my house.

Emby also allows for remote access. For example, if I want to stream a TV show to my computer at work during lunch, Emby provides that functionality. I also gave my sister and her husband a Raspberry Pi so they can stream all of my content to their TV.

Think Netflix, but a much higher quality picture and hosted in your house.

Quoted from Chosen_S:

Nice! Finally someone who runs an unraid server too! I’ve had mine going about 5 years now, running Plex and having a blast. I’m also in on another unraid server that my friend hosts... never run out of content!!!

I think I've been running an unRAID server since 2011. My tower is maxed out with drives, so I'm going to have to start swapping in larger drives. I currently have 2TB free of 27TB, so it won't be long before I have to start upgrading drives. Unless I move forward with the Norco 4224 case I've been eying up....

#288 5 years ago

Just in case you're curious, unRAID is an operating system you can run on a computer from a flash drive. It controls an array of various hard drives for storage. When you run out of storage, you just slap in another drive and viola, more storage. It also allows me to run programs that provide more functionality than just raw storage.
    Emby for example, is my centralized database for media content. The unRAID server has a variety of TV shows and Movies. Its job is to synchronize the database between devices. That keeps me from having to add the new content to all of the devices in my house.
    Emby also allows for remote access. For example, if I want to stream a TV show to my computer at work during lunch, Emby provides that functionality. I also gave my sister and her husband a Raspberry Pi so they can stream all of my content to their TV.
    Think Netflix, but a much higher quality picture and hosted in your house.

I think I've been running an unRAID server since 2011. My tower is maxed out with drives, so I'm going to have to start swapping in larger drives. I currently have 2TB free of 27TB, so it won't be long before I have to start upgrading drives. Unless I move forward with the Norco 4224 case I've been eying up....

A few inquiries...
    What app is running your vertical preview TV with the Movie posters?
    Are you using a Movies Organization / automated app? (I can't seem to find a decent working one, couch potato does very little for me, I almost do everything by hand)

I had used xbmc (kodi) for the longest time (ever since the original xbox), then I discovered plex a while back and hadn't looked back, we have Roku's at all of my families houses and access everything from them, we would have done Rpi's, but the ease of setup and other readily available apps made the Roku the devise of choice... I'm tapped out at 27tb and started to delete content (mostly daily shows, or reality shows my wife watches), I'll start upgrading drives soon, just hadn't had space to work in. I bought a bunch of 2 tb drives on special a year ago, and now there's 10tb drives!!?? crazy talk... I don't think I'll dump my current setup, I'll just build another unraid box and run both, at least until the first is obsolete by a mile.

that Norco 4224 case looks killer, That may be the case of choice in the near future for me as well, I need to look back in to lime techs drive cap to see if its viable

EDIT: I have a pro license, so... unlimited drives / storage... that answered the question of the rebuilding of the server, I'll just ditch my current case and upgrade when it comes time, I'll probably need to upgrade my mobo as well for more pci slots to add more sata connections

#289 5 years ago
    Quoted from Chosen_S:

A few inquiries...
    What app is running your vertical preview TV with the Movie posters?

I run this app on a Asus VivoStick.

https://www.movieposterapp.com/

The VivoStick does alright, but I wouldn't try to do anything else with the damn thing. It's just too slow.

Quoted from Chosen_S:

Are you using a Movies Organization / automated app? (I can't seem to find a decent working one, couch potato does very little for me, I almost do everything by hand)

Yikes, by hand! I used to do that and then bailed on it. It became way to time consuming. I have it listed above, but I run Emby and have the Premier Key which allows for remote access to my media from the iPhone / Android app or any web browser. It also works as a plugin with Kodi or an app for Roku. I've been buying the TCL Roku TVs for the basement and just use the app to connect to Emby. Emby monitors the shares and whenever new media is added it downloads all the metadata and adds it to the database. You can go in and change the poster or background image if you want. The only thing it doesn't do is download the trailers.

https://emby.media/

Quoted from Chosen_S:

I had used xbmc (kodi) for the longest time (ever since the original xbox), then I discovered plex a while back and hadn't looked back, we have Roku's at all of my families houses and access everything from them, we would have done Rpi's, but the ease of setup and other readily available apps made the Roku the devise of choice... I'm tapped out at 27tb and started to delete content (mostly daily shows, or reality shows my wife watches), I'll start upgrading drives soon, just hadn't had space to work in. I bought a bunch of 2 tb drives on special a year ago, and now there's 10tb drives!!?? crazy talk... I don't think I'll dump my current setup, I'll just build another unraid box and run both, at least until the first is obsolete by a mile.

Do you have a parity drive? If so, why not just rip out one of the 2TB drives and install a 6TB drive? You'll need to make sure that the parity drive gets replaced first because you can't have any drives larger than the parity drive. So technically, you'll need two drives to start upgrading. 6TB WD Red (7200rpm) drives are $232 right now.

Quoted from Chosen_S:

that Norco 4224 case looks killer, That may be the case of choice in the near future for me as well, I need to look back in to lime techs drive cap to see if its viable
    EDIT: I have a pro license, so... unlimited drives / storage... that answered the question of the rebuilding of the server, I'll just ditch my current case and upgrade when it comes time, I'll probably need to upgrade my mobo as well for more pci slots to add more sata connections

You can always add in a PCI-e SATA card you can grab for $25 provided your case has enough bays. I ended up needing a 2 x 5.25" to 3 x 3.5" drive cage, but it was only $23.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0032UUGF4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01464550K/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00

Let me know if you have any more questions.

#290 5 years ago

That movie poster TV is just a neat idea in general, I'd never thought of doing something like that.

#291 5 years ago

I run this app on a Asus VivoStick.
    https://www.movieposterapp.com/
    The VivoStick does alright, but I wouldn't try to do anything else with the damn thing. It's just too slow.

Yikes, by hand! I used to do that and then bailed on it. It became way to time consuming. I have it listed above, but I run Emby and have the Premier Key which allows for remote access to my media from the iPhone / Android app or any web browser. It also works as a plugin with Kodi or an app for Roku. I've been buying the TCL Roku TVs for the basement and just use the app to connect to Emby. Emby monitors the shares and whenever new media is added it downloads all the metadata and adds it to the database. You can go in and change the poster or background image if you want. The only thing it doesn't do is download the trailers.
    https://emby.media/

Do you have a parity drive? If so, why not just rip out one of the 2TB drives and install a 6TB drive? You'll need to make sure that the parity drive gets replaced first because you can't have any drives larger than the parity drive. So technically, you'll need two drives to start upgrading. 6TB WD Red (7200rpm) drives are $232 right now.

You can always add in a PCI-e SATA card you can grab for $25 provided your case has enough bays. I ended up needing a 2 x 5.25" to 3 x 3.5" drive cage, but it was only $23.
    amazon.com link »
    amazon.com link »
    Let me know if you have any more questions.

Yup, got a 4tb parity drive in place, I’ve been adding 2tb drives in one at a time, but I’ve got a few 500gb and 1 tb drives in play that need to be traded out, I think I have 9 drives including parity in unraid and 4 more drives on a network share that has current content that finds its way over to the unraid when it’s time to flush out... thanks for the heads up on movie poster app and emby, I’ve got a buddy that uses emby, but we haven’t discussed it much...

I use a special commercial server grade pcie sata card that is upgradeable via proprietary sata cables, the card can host 8 or more drives I believe, I can dig into it more if you need info.... just need more space to work with (which I’m working on)

Thanks for the links! Man stuff is so cheap now! A hand full of years ago that hardware was 10x the price

#292 5 years ago

Finally finished building out my game room

20181202_180932-01.jpeg20181202_180932-01.jpeg
    #293 5 years ago
    Quoted from SOMaine5-0:

[quoted image]

WOW you have a lot of people space, that's nice to have.

#294 5 years ago
    Quoted from SOMaine5-0:

[quoted image]

Looks great! Enjoy it this winter!

1 month later
    #295 5 years ago

Nothing much to report. I moved some games into the other room and set them up. Hopefully it's motivation for me to go buy some damn carpet and get that done. Granite for the bar is going to be the last thing, but unfortunately what I want is considered an "exotic". They want about $8k to do the bar.

The other issue with the granite is that no one seems to have any clue as to how much of an overhang I can have without needing supports.

Anyway, this is the first time all my games have been on the same floor in my house and all set up at the same time.

IMG_1184.JPGIMG_1184.JPG

#296 5 years ago

Wow,Some people sure have deep pockets!!! Very,very,nice!!!

#297 5 years ago
    Quoted from hawkmoon:

Wow,Some people sure have deep pockets!!! Very,very,nice!!!

They aren't that deep. If they were deeper, I'd be done by now.

I work a full time job and run a business evenings and weekends. 70+ hours a week is what pays for the toys.

#298 5 years ago

They want about $8k to do the bar.

8k for a piece of rock??? Make a frame, cover it with new pennies and pore epoxy over it.

#299 5 years ago
    Quoted from MustangPaul:

8k for a piece of rock??? Make a frame, cover it with new pennies and pore epoxy over it.

Yep. It's a beautiful rock though. Ignore the remnant in front of it. I want the one with the big vein running through the middle.

Granite 1 (resized).jpgGranite 1 (resized).jpg

Granite 2 (resized).jpgGranite 2 (resized).jpg

#300 5 years ago

I so want to comment about you wanting the one with the vein in the middle!

But it looks awesome. Would a remnant of your size be 1/2 price (no features)? I'd feel better about missing what I wanted if it costs tons less.

There are 359 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 8.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/game-room-build-thread/page/6 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.