3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 322 posts
  • 60 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 days ago by MustangPaul
  • Topic is favorited by 81 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 240 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_8795 (resized).jpg
    EB06ED08-D231-4669-8868-55068E092416 (resized).jpeg
    DF157FA9-3AAA-49E7-991C-C50EEA0B02C3 (resized).jpeg
    Granite 2 (resized).jpg
    Granite 1 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1184.JPG
    20181202_180932-01.jpeg
    56478015964__1AEDA146-3311-4F64-BA23-79A539ACE329 (resized).JPG
    56478001505__C94F6A5F-6676-44E9-82DE-8333B2E28354 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0661 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0673 (resized).JPG
    3867C212-E18A-44D6-8C63-DD77987BBF0B (resized).jpeg (© Nutty 5.0)
    IMG_0224 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0176 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0090 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0101 (resized).JPG

There are 322 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 7.
    #201 2 years ago
    Quoted from MustangPaul:

Cool, a 2 story gameroom.

Man that's the dream isn't it?! one of the Arcades in my town growing up was an old 3 story house they converted...3 floors of games was like the coolest thing you could ever think of.

#202 2 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Man that's the dream isn't it?! one of the Arcades in my town growing up was an old 3 story house they converted...3 floors of games was like the coolest thing you could ever think of.

Oh man yeah.

#203 2 years ago
    Quoted from MustangPaul:

Cool, a 2 story gameroom.

hehe, you'd expect me to say... well, it's going to be many things... but yes, a 2 story gameroom in my backyard, I'll post a thread soon, in actuality; it will be less square footage as yours, but I have to build up, and there's no chance of basements in the desert where I live

#204 2 years ago
    Quoted from Chosen_S:

hehe, you'd expect me to say... well, it's going to be many things... but yes, a 2 story gameroom in my backyard, I'll post a thread soon, in actuality; it will be less square footage as yours, but I have to build up, and there's no chance of basements in the desert where I live

Yes please start a topic about the build, I for one would follow.

4 months later
    #205 2 years ago

It's been forever and a day since I really got a chance to do anything, but my wallet is starting to recover and I'll be moving forward with some purchases. This stuff is freakin' expensive when you get to this point.

The only update I have right now is that I got my Goldenear Invisa MPX speakers for the columns. I was planning on building a panel to hide the speakers, but I think they look cool enough that I'm going to leave them uncovered.

I'm ordering the carpet for the theater today and have started painting the trim.

IMG_5083 (resized).JPG
    IMG_5094 (resized).JPG

#206 2 years ago
    Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

It's been forever and a day since I really got a chance to do anything, but my wallet is starting to recover and I'll be moving forward with some purchases. This stuff is freakin' expensive when you get to this point.
    The only update I have right now is that I got my Goldenear Invisa MPX speakers for the columns. I was planning on building a panel to hide the speakers, but I think they look cool enough that I'm going to leave them uncovered.
    I'm ordering the carpet for the theater today and have started painting the trim.

With your beautiful build I can see why you wallet is hurting. Top notch all the way. What's your carpet choice? Mild or wild?

#207 2 years ago
    Quoted from MustangPaul:

With your beautiful build I can see why you wallet is hurting. Top notch all the way. What's your carpet choice? Mild or wild?

Thanks for the compliment! You hit the nail on the head. I decided that I was going to spare no expense..... well, maybe at the expense of a timely completion. I could have been done a year ago if I went on the cheap and stopped buying freakin' pinball machines.

Anyway, I'm going with a Masland Quadrate carpet in the theater, and of course, it's special order and not cheap. Why does everything I like have to be expensive!

I haven't settled on anything for the game room yet. I can't seem to find something that works for me.

7814-18404_FancyboxZ (resized).jpg

2 weeks later
    #208 1 year ago

I got all the chair rail done last night. I just need to do a little touch up.

The plan is to buy and paint the base trim tonight if I have time. Carpet goes in next Thursday.

Ignore the really weird lines on the fabric. The camera seems to pick up a secondary image from the sconces for some reason.

IMG_5211 (resized).JPG

IMG_5210 (resized).JPG

#209 1 year ago

Looks great!! This thread inspired me to pick up an Epson 5040UB a month or so ago, just got the 138" 2:35 screen up a week or two ago, and finally removed the 5040 from it's temporary distance testing position on top of a Donkey Kong and mounted to the ceiling.

Loving this projector - hope that our theater room can one day look as amazing as yours!

#210 1 year ago
    Quoted from wontwa:

Looks great!! This thread inspired me to pick up an Epson 5040UB a month or so ago, just got the 138" 2:35 screen up a week or two ago, and finally removed the 5040 from it's temporary distance testing position on top of a Donkey Kong and mounted to the ceiling.
    Loving this projector - hope that our theater room can one day look as amazing as yours!

Thanks so much for the compliments! I can finally see the finish line for the theater. Once that's done, I think I'm going to work on the bar and get that out of the way.

For the dollar, it's definitely the best projector on the market. Have you paired it with a 4K bluray player yet? I picked up the Oppo 203 right after it was released. I'm impressed with the picture. You need to have two separate settings on the Epson, but with the memory locations, it's easy to switch. Unfortunately, I missed the pre-order on the Xbox One X so I'll have to hope I can pick one up after they hit the street.

#211 1 year ago

Wow, this thread has me drooling. You're going to have an awesome area - I am in the process of designing my basement game room, TV room, and den, but my budget will be nowhere near yours but I can dream.

#212 1 year ago

I got a bit more done over the last few days. All of the base trim is in except 2 pieces that I need to finish tonight. I had a snafu with the minisplit drain line being blocked or going uphill. I couldn't tell which, but it's now draining. I was using it the other day and heard water running. I looked up and saw it pouring out the front of the unit.

Needless to say, I would have killed my HVAC guy if he was there. It was really the first time I used it since it was installed.

Anyway, I got the Z-Wave dimmers installed and hooked up to the controller. Nothing like having a real light switch.....It's the small things.

My iPhone has issues with washing out all of the colors for some reason, so you'll have to excuse the pictures.

Tonight I need to finish the last two pieces of base trim and pull out the screen, take down the projector and remove the front floor standing speakers. Tomorrow is carpet day!!!! That also means, that if I have enough time before pinball league, I can set up 3 of the chairs I bought.

It should start looking like a theater soon.

IMG_5239 (resized).JPG

IMG_5240 (resized).JPG

IMG_5241 (resized).JPG

IMG_5242 (resized).JPG

1 week later
    #213 1 year ago

I'm a little late with this, but except for the door and buying three more seats, the theater is done.

I finished the crown, chair and base molding. Had the carpet installed, wired up the step lights and finished the last 5 velvet covered panels for the screen wall and the soffit face. I chose velvet for the soffit face since I have a CIH screen. The projector zooms in on the image and projects the normal black bars above and below the screen. A little of the light was hitting the soffit face. With the velvet there, you can't even see it.

The pictures don't do the room justice. For some reason the Edison lights wash out the colors.

I think I'm going to go with the flooring in the bar area and cabinets next.

IMG_5299 (resized).JPG

IMG_5305 (resized).JPG

IMG_5302 (resized).JPG

#214 1 year ago

I'm a little late with this, but except for the door and buying three more seats, the theater is done.
    I finished the crown, chair and base molding. Had the carpet installed, wired up the step lights and finished the last 5 velvet covered panels for the screen wall and the soffit face. I chose velvet for the soffit face since I have a CIH screen. The projector zooms in on the image and projects the normal black bars above and below the screen. A little of the light was hitting the soffit face. With the velvet there, you can't even see it.
    The pictures don't do the room justice. For some reason the Edison lights wash out the colors.
    I think I'm going to go with the flooring in the bar area and cabinets next.

Oh man that looks GREAT! Wish I could be there for the first screening. What's gonna be the first "official" projection?

#215 1 year ago

Thanks! I'm absolutely thrilled by the way the room turned out. It's now my favorite room in the house.

Underworld Blood Wars in 4K HDR will be the first official screening. I'm a sucker for Kate Beckinsale, especially in leather.

UnderworldFrostedTips.0 (resized).jpg

#216 1 year ago

Oh that's gonna be a killer screening.

#217 1 year ago

I picked up a server rack yesterday for all the components. The idea is to knock out a section of the wall next to the theater door and display the components and make them easier to access. I really didn't need a 45U, 4 post, 30" deep rack, but for $150, I couldn't pass it up.

Now I need to hack up the "L" bracket at the bottom so it will push up against the wall.

IMG_5346 (resized).JPG

#218 1 year ago

Nice. Make sure ya run an ac duct in there with an exhaust fan.

#219 1 year ago
    Quoted from MustangPaul:

Nice. Make sure ya run an ac duct in there with an exhaust fan.

Good call

#221 1 year ago

A friend of mine years ago did that with a closet and only used a couple of computer fans and heat damaged a lot of expensive av equipment.

1 month later
    #222 1 year ago

I finally picked out my lighting for the game room. There will be six of these "Steampunk" light fixtures mounted to the ceiling. I have two separate circuits, one on each side of the game room. I ordered one just to see if I liked it since they don't accept returns. I didn't want to spend a ton of money on lighting only to find out I didn't like it.

Here it is installed along with a picture of the fixture from their website since I forgot to take a picture with the light turned off.

IMG_5931 (resized).jpg

first__63293.1502437443 (resized).jpg

#223 1 year ago

I finally picked out my lighting for the game room. There will be six of these "Steampunk" light fixtures mounted to the ceiling. I have two separate circuits, one on each side of the game room. I ordered one just to see if I liked it since they don't accept returns. I didn't want to spend a ton of money on lighting only to find out I didn't like it.
    Here it is installed along with a picture of the fixture from their website since I forgot to take a picture with the light turned off.

That’s really cool! I’m trying to pick out my lighting as well, but I’m concerned about lights on the ceiling reflecting on the pins glass... what are your thoughts?

#224 1 year ago

You couldn't build those? Hell that's half the fun plus you save lots of dinero. Savings could be reinvested in better equipment.

#225 1 year ago
    Quoted from Chosen_S:

That’s really cool! I’m trying to pick out my lighting as well, but I’m concerned about lights on the ceiling reflecting on the pins glass... what are your thoughts?

I normally play with the lights off, so I suspect they won't get a lot of use. When I designed the room, I set the lights back from the wall further as opposed to being symmetrical. I'm hoping that will keep me from getting any glare, but to be honest, I'm one of those people that like to turn on all the games and play in the dark.

The plan was for adjustable track lighting so I could angle things out of the way, but I couldn't find anything that went with the look I was after.

#226 1 year ago
    Quoted from fordtudoor:

You couldn't build those? Hell that's half the fun plus you save lots of dinero. Savings could be reinvested in better equipment.

There is a difference between can and being worth it. Could I have built them, absolutely. If I can build an acoustically correct, soundproofed theater, and finish an entire basement, I can screw together some pipes.

It would cost between $80 - 100 in parts (roughly) to build one. Add the time of running back and forth to the hardware store, painting the reducers that don't match the color of the galvanized pipe, inevitably running back to the store because I forgot something and finally putting it all together costs money in my world. I would much rather spend that time working on quotes for clients, finishing up some invoicing, or trying to find time to work on the basement.

The $100/fixture I pay someone else to deal with that hassle and time, is money well spent in my book.

2 weeks later
    #227 1 year ago

Well, I finally picked out my floor for the bar. I'm just waiting to get my CaCl2 test to make sure there isn't too much moisture in the slab to use what I picked. If the test comes back fine, I'll be ordering it next week.

Once I get that in, I can do the carpet in the game room and finally move the pins downstairs to their new home!!!

Here is the floor I picked. I think the light color is going to work well against the dark colors in the reclaimed barn wood I used for the bar.

28120_Nantucket_Driftwood (resized).jpg

#228 1 year ago

so what exactly is that? like tile, wood, what?

#229 1 year ago

Whoops. Sorry. It's a laminate click lock plank. I wanted vinyl because it's water / moisture proof, but couldn't find anything I liked in vinyl. I'm hoping the CaCl2 test comes back under the manufacturer's moisture requirement or it's back to the drawing board.

#230 1 year ago

You and I have very similar taste it seems. I built my gameroom/theater last year and the gameroom side I went for a steampunk vibe. Looks nice, good job. I'm sure it will sound great with all the soundproofing and you'll be able to watch whatever without disturbing anyone, I wish i had the cash to do that upgrade when I built mine.

(Kids were messing around with potc leds, that isn't normal)

20170520_114405 (resized).jpg

#231 1 year ago

My lighting was delivered on Saturday. I had a few guys over Saturday night so I made my brother in law hold them for me while I wired them up. They were too heavy to do by myself.

I also did the CaCl2 test on the concrete over the weekend. The manufacturer recommends <3.0lbs/1000sqft in 24 hours. Mine was 2.281lbs/1000sqft, so I'm below their threshold. I'll be ordering the floor either today or tomorrow.

It's getting there....

IMG_6136 (resized).jpg

IMG_6137 (resized).jpg

IMG_6138 (resized).jpg

1 month later
    #232 1 year ago

I picked up the flooring last night. Now I just need to find time to get it installed.

Flooring (resized).jpg

#233 1 year ago

Turbo, With a concrete floor as your substrate, how do you plan to affix the wood flooring?

#234 1 year ago

It doesn't need to be glued or screwed down. It just floats on a 3mm underlayment.

#235 1 year ago

Many of the laminate flooring they produce now has a built-in underlayment already and you don't need more; in your case though you have to worry about moisture seepage through the floor itself so a barrier may be necessary.

#236 1 year ago

This is my new favorite thread! I'm very impressed. Theater wise you did a very nice job (I design record/post studios for a living). Too many people neglect soundproofing/acoustic treatment. You really did everything almost to the book. The first pic with the red wall up I was like "he ruined the whole room!'. Now with the columns, trim and chair rail up I love it. Can't wait to see the whole thing finished.
    D.

1 month later
    #237 1 year ago
    Quoted from Pedleboy:

This is my new favorite thread! I'm very impressed. Theater wise you did a very nice job (I design record/post studios for a living). Too many people neglect soundproofing/acoustic treatment. You really did everything almost to the book. The first pic with the red wall up I was like "he ruined the whole room!'. Now with the columns, trim and chair rail up I love it. Can't wait to see the whole thing finished.
    D.

Thanks for the compliments. It's my favorite room in the house. All I need is the other row of chairs, a door and that room is done.

Well, I finally started the floor! I've been so busy lately, it's just been sitting there in a pile. I'm hoping to get some more done this weekend, but I'm running a pinball tournament so that will suck up most of Saturday.

IMG_6776 (resized).jpg

#238 1 year ago

Very cool project. I’m in the drywall phase right now of my theater / arcade project.

#239 1 year ago

I finally started the floor!

I put this exact flooring in several rooms of my house. It's great! Tough, durable, and neutral enough you don't have color clashes. It wasn't hard to put down at all. Good luck with your project. I would help you but I live kinda far down the road! Ha.

Mike in Kentucky

2 weeks later
    #240 1 year ago

Back to work finally. I spent some time over the weekend working on more of the floor in the bar / fish tank / sitting area. Once I get that done, I have to decide if I'm going to work on the cabinets / solid surfaces for the bar, or throw the carpet in the game room and get the machines down there. I'm leaning towards the cabinets and granite so I have a beer fridge.

IMG_6903 (resized).JPG

IMG_6902 (resized).JPG

IMG_6901 (resized).JPG

#241 1 year ago

It looks great. About time you got to work you lazy bum! JK!!

#242 1 year ago
    Quoted from dmacy:

It looks great. About time you got to work you lazy bum! JK!!

I know, right! Thanks! I'm hoping to get some work done this week and maybe finish that part up if I'm lucky. The trim is already painted and I think I have enough, but we'll see.

4 months later
    #243 1 year ago

This thread rocks! What is your finished ceiling height?

#244 1 year ago

Looks fantastic. Great Job!

#245 1 year ago

Thanks so much for the compliments. I've really been dragging my feet on getting the floor finished. It seems as though every time I have some time, it rains. If anyone has ever cut laminate flooring knows, there is no way I'm cutting that in my house or even my garage. That stuff is terrible.

I'd have to measure to be sure, but something tells me it's a little more than 7.5'.

#246 1 year ago

Maybe you need to spend less time playing and more time working and that floor would be done. JK!

#247 1 year ago
    Quoted from dmacy:

Maybe you need to spend less time playing and more time working and that floor would be done. JK!

If I stopped buying games that might help too.

1 month later
    #248 1 year ago

The floor is finally done, except for one piece by the bar that I'm having a little trouble getting to fit correctly. Anyway, other than the damn slope on the side of the bar I had to shim, it went in pretty well.

I'm going to order the transitions this week and then it's on to either cabinets, or I'll have someone put carpet in the game room and move the games down.

IMG_8930 (resized).JPGIMG_8931 (resized).JPGIMG_8932 (resized).JPGIMG_8933 (resized).JPGIMG_8934 (resized).JPGIMG_8935 (resized).JPG

#249 1 year ago

Love that flooring!

#250 1 year ago
    Quoted from heni1977:

Love that flooring!

Thanks! I was a little skeptical while putting it down that it wouldn't work with the colors on the walls, but as soon as I threw up the trim I knew it was perfect. Turned out exactly how I hoped it would.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 65.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Texas Pinball
    $ 999.00
    $ 29.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    £ 37.00
    Lighting - Led
    PinballToys
    $ 76.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 29.90
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Pinball Haus
    $ 129.00
    Lighting - Led
    LED OCD
    $ 6,995.00
    Pinball Machine
    Flip N Out Pinball
    $ 218.00
    $ 60.00
    Playfield - Plastics
    Vandelay Industries
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 199.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 32.00
    Playfield - Other
    Pin Monk
    $ 64.99
    Lighting - Led
    TheDudeMods
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Playfield - Protection
    ULEKstore
    There are 322 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 7.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside