3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 322 posts
  • 60 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 days ago by MustangPaul
  • Topic is favorited by 81 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 240 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_8795 (resized).jpg
    EB06ED08-D231-4669-8868-55068E092416 (resized).jpeg
    DF157FA9-3AAA-49E7-991C-C50EEA0B02C3 (resized).jpeg
    Granite 2 (resized).jpg
    Granite 1 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1184.JPG
    20181202_180932-01.jpeg
    56478015964__1AEDA146-3311-4F64-BA23-79A539ACE329 (resized).JPG
    56478001505__C94F6A5F-6676-44E9-82DE-8333B2E28354 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0661 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0673 (resized).JPG
    3867C212-E18A-44D6-8C63-DD77987BBF0B (resized).jpeg (© Nutty 5.0)
    IMG_0224 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0176 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0090 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0101 (resized).JPG

There are 322 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 7.
    #1 3 years ago

I thought I would throw up a thread on my game room build. My wife and I bought our second house back in July and I took reign over the basement. She got the house, I got the 3 car garage and the basement. We agreed that I could do anything I wanted down there and she wouldn't complain. If I wanted to finish it and paint the walls purple, I had her approval.

My dad and I have done all the work ourselves and started back in October. We've been working on it almost every weekend for the last 4 months or so. Prior to beginning this build, I had never cut a 2x4 in half, let alone attempted HVAC, Plumbing, Electrical, etc. I had fielded a few quotes for having someone else finish the basement, but they all came in at $20,000+ for just framing, drywall and rough in electric / plumbing. That was without doing the theater, which if anyone here has built one, is an animal in itself.

Anyway, I spent $100 on what the guy calls a "basement finishing system". It comes with streaming videos, a material & tools list and email support if you have any questions. I figured what the hell, I'll give it a shot. Sat down for a few weeks watching video, after video, after video. You should see my notepad.

I figured either I was going to do it myself and save a ton of money, or I would crash and burn and have to pay someone to do it anyway. The only work I'm not planning to do myself is the drywall and the actual termination to the breaker box. There is no way I'm getting my hands in there.

On to the pictures!

Here is my blank slate. I bought a cheap program and started the design process. The hard part was trying to make it look like a living space and not a basement. I didn't want to see any of the columns and wanted the walls to hide everything without having to work around obstacles. There were some plumbing stacks against the walls, but instead of going around them, I made the decision to kick the entire wall out about a foot and make it one continuous wall.

24845589113_74092b5786_o_(resized).jpg

Here are the original plans. Things have changed slightly, but not a lot. I removed the shower from the bathroom (who the hell takes a shower in the basement anyway) and expanded the utility room where the shower would have went for a media closet. That will house all the equipment to run the basement audio/video.

21855737562_17d42af298_o_(resized).png

25104715899_ff62474df9_o_(resized).png

24845542153_93314b05f3_o_(resized).png

I guess we need some lumber...

21846776981_a897fd7aff_o_(resized).jpg

21837189105_86c64160e1_o_(resized).jpg

What a pain in the ass carrying down all these 2x4s!

21846781501_fdf0ea9801_o_(resized).jpg

Lumber....Check
    Tools....Check

Now it's time to try building a wall.

25472298345_b6c7f1a424_o_(resized).jpg

25176691760_258e0a6fd7_o_(resized).jpg

24845550413_3bc6445d8c_o_(resized).jpg

If I remember correctly, this was the end of day 1.

21649360428_edd3343de1_o_(resized).jpg

This is a few weeks later after all the framing had been completed, the outlets were run and most of the lighting was wired. The theater is lagging behind because of the soundproofing. Ever penetration in the drywall has to be treated, so that means all lighting needs to be housed in a backer box.

Here is the theater:

24841101464_7d995b1925_o_(resized).jpg

Bathroom, which is also serving as the tool storage room. We got tired of walking all over the place trying to find things.

24844955403_fe5d113d3f_o_(resized).jpg

This is the bar build. It's a 2 tiered bar, with the framing representing the higher tier. The lower tier will be base cabinets. It's a full wet bar. The front of the bar is going to be covered with reclaimed barn wood and the pillars will be boxed in to make columns which are going to get stone.

25104064359_a27de891fb_o_(resized).jpg

25445531276_9bc24eaf93_o_(resized).jpg

A few weeks ago, right after we got 32" of snow, we had some really heavy rains. I walked downstairs to find this.

Turns out there were two issues. One is a crack the entire height of the foundation and the other is that there is no grade away from the house. There was a pond outside that wall. So I need to get some dirt in there to grade it away from the house. I also purchased an epoxy repair system to fix the crack.

25445489606_170ba7b200_o_(resized).jpg

25176081210_3526c08318_o_(resized).jpg

Better to find out now than when the drywall is up.

I'm going to have my electrician wire up the breaker box. I did everything else, but don't want to go messing around in there. They show you how to do it in the video series, but I'm not really interested in trying it out.

25176108080_8c784cf1a4_o_(resized).jpg

There will be a total of 5 TVs outside the theater. Each TV gets an HDMI, two Cat 6 drops and a 3.5mm audio cable. I'm wiring up the entire basement for distributed audio and video. A/V will be served using a NUC running the Kodi software. Kodi will grab media from my 12TB unRAID server. I'll be able to switch audio in multiple zones in the basement depending on what I want to listen to or watch. The 3.5mm audio cable will serve as an IR carrier. I'll be controlling everything with a RF remote so I won't have to walk around to each TV when I want to change a TV channel.

The two Cat 6 drops are for either future use, or a fail safe in case something happens to the HDMI cable. The HDMI cables are expensive for long runs (~$100/cable) but Cat 6 is dirt cheap. If needed, I can run HDMI over Cat 6, or just leave them in the wall for later.

Here is some of the low voltage. I still have to wire the entire theater and am waiting for another 500' of speaker wire to get delivered.

25176082350_0ddcd54cb2_o_(resized).jpg

Here is the game room as it sits right now. I got a drywall quote for the basement last week for $6800. Everything but the theater is almost ready. I have to run the wire for a few speakers and put in the return ducts. Once that's done, I can have the main part of the basement drywalled. The theater comes later. I'm doing the full soundproofing deal, so that room gets decoupled walls & ceilings, along with a double layer of 5/8" drywall that sandwiches a dampening compound. All the lighting and speakers need backer boxes, and electrical boxes need to be acoustically sealed.

24843476103_de09ecf7cf_o_(resized).jpg

25379436851_3a13a7d920_o_(resized).jpg

25445532506_0c11486366_o_(resized).jpg

#2 3 years ago

Looking good. What are you going to use for A/V in the theater? I couldn't tell based on your plans. In my opinion, there is no substitute for the feel of a projector to replicate the theatrical experience for watching movies.

I couldn't live without my LCoS setup.

#3 3 years ago

Sweeeet! Love these threads. So fun when it's at this stage, sometimes I wish I was starting all over again.

Ha, no I don't, it gets rough as it goes on

#4 3 years ago
    Quoted from jedimastermatt:

Looking good. What are you going to use for A/V in the theater?

Thanks!

I'm going to go with a JVC DLA-RS400U projector and all the speakers will be Goldenear. I'm planning on a 7.1.4 Atmos setup, most likely powered by a Denon receiver. All media will be handled by Kodi and the unRAID server.

I'm probably going to go with a 120" AT Seymour screen. I haven't decided on 16:9 or 2.37 yet, but I'm leaning towards 2.37.

Quoted from TheLaw:

Sweeeet! Love these threads. So fun when it's at this stage, sometimes I wish I was starting all over again.

Ha, no I don't, it gets rough as it goes on

Don't say that....I was hoping it gets easier.

#5 3 years ago
    Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

Thanks!
    I'm going to go with a JVC DLA-RS400U projector and all the speakers will be Goldenear. I'm planning on a 7.1.4 Atmos setup, most likely powered by a Denon receiver. All media will be handled by Kodi and the unRAID server.
    I'm probably going to go with a 120" AT Seymour screen. I haven't decided on 16:9 or 2.37 yet, but I'm leaning towards 2.37.

My theater was built at the dawn of the home anamorphic birth, so I didn't go the Cinemascope route. I definitely would if I had to do over again though. I do LOVE my Vutec SilverStar screen though. It's not for everyone as you do see some "grain" in the highlights like you do most theaters; but, the punch it delivers in terms of brightness when combined with the native contrast ratio of JVC's LCoS is hard to beat.

#6 3 years ago

VERY well thought out. Now what have you been thinking for flooring and ceilings in the different sections?

#7 3 years ago

Looks great! Really well thought out. I'm glad to see you're making room for a pool table - I still love mine, despite it being the main reason my collection is capped right now.

What kind of fish do you have? I would love to have a space like that for a fish room, I'm interested to hear what you have planned for that. Are you putting a show tank somewhere?

#8 3 years ago

Looks great so far as you will certainly enjoy it down the road. I wish
    in my layout there was more room for my pins! Only room for 11. Right now I'm updating my theater
    to a projection system from a 65" plasma. Its about a 12X19 dedicated room
    as well with no outside light interference. Two row seating with six electric recliners.
    One thing I didn't do was do better soundproofing in the walls and ceiling.
    Unfortunately in the theater I used a laminate hardwood being in the basement and
    wanted something different since have carpet in remainder. I don't know how high
    your finished ceiling will be but remember if you are planning stepping up your chairs
    in rear row. With mine I'm worried how low the projector will hang and will sit just above
    second row. Would like to do a 100" screen.
    Good Luck but just get that water seepage under control. I'm doing this water powered
    backup sump pump system for mine. I was told this was the way to go these days.

#9 3 years ago
    Quoted from MustangPaul:

VERY well thought out. Now what have you been thinking for flooring and ceilings in the different sections?

Thank you. It's freakin' hard to try and think 7 steps ahead all the time. All the ceilings are going to be drywall. The only thing special I'm planning is crown molding in the theater that will hide rope lighting. I wanted to do that in the game room, but it really isn't an option because of the exterior door and the 2 windows. I'm thinking of a black velvet on the underside and face of the soffit in front of the screen. I think that would make the soffit disappear into nothingness.

The theater is actually laid out opposite of how it's show in the plans. There wasn't going to be enough head room for a riser and the soffit if I had it the other way.

The theater gets a subfloor first (most likely dri-core), then a riser for the second row of seating and then carpet. I'm thinking black / gray with burgundy and gray walls. Ceilings will be black. I'm planning 4 very shallow pillars to hide speakers and house sconces.

Tile for the bathroom and I want engineered hardwood for the pool table and bar area. The problem is laying hardwood over concrete. I could outfit the entire basement with a subfloor, but that would add another $4,000 to the cost of the flooring. I haven't made a solid decision on that yet.

Short nap carpet in the game room. The stuff in the bedroom upstairs where the games are now is too long. It makes it hard to do death saves.

Quoted from Deaconblooze:

What kind of fish do you have? I would love to have a space like that for a fish room, I'm interested to hear what you have planned for that. Are you putting a show tank somewhere?

Right now I have a 55g in my living room. I have a pair of Snowflake clowns, a 2-spot Bristletooth Tang and a female Banggai Cardinalfish. Up until last thursday, there was a male and a female, but the male decided one day to stop eating. Despite me efforts to try every food on the planet, he just wouldn't eat and died. I still don't know what happened. He was 3 years old and nothing in the tank has changed since we moved 8 months ago.

The plan is for an 8' reef tank to be built in the fish room wall. The fish room will allow me to house the life support system for the tank, as opposed to having to lug 5g buckets up and down the steps all the time. It's going to be awhile before I can get to that, so I'm just going to drywall the wall for now and then rip it out in a year or two when I'm ready for the tank.

#10 3 years ago
    Quoted from FalconDriver:

Two row seating with six electric recliners.

My room is going to end up being about 11' 4" wide after IB clips, channel and the double drywall. It's going to be a challenge to get all 6 seats in there, but I think a narrower walkway is worth the trade off for the 6 seats. I would have made the room bigger, but I was stuck because of the poles holding up the house.

I don't know how high your finished ceiling will be but remember if you are planning stepping up your chairs
    in rear row.

Finished height should be able 7' 4" and I'm planning on a 10" riser. So it will be close, but I don't think it will be a problem. I can always cut down on the riser once I find out how much room I actually have.

With mine I'm worried how low the projector will hang and will sit just above
    second row.

I would recommend you put it right above the seat back of the second row. It might technically be low enough to hit your head on, but if it's above the seat back, you won't be able to hit your head on it because of the way you naturally stand up and sit down. That's my plan. I don't know if I'll need a hush box or not...

#11 3 years ago

Short nap carpet in the game room.

That's what I have in black light, it's called Under the Sea and VERY colorful with brightly colored fish, coral and other things with 3/8 inch thick memory foam padding which is antimicrobal and doubles as a vapor barrier.

#12 3 years ago

The plan is for an 8' reef tank to be built in the fish room wall. The fish room will allow me to house the life support system for the tank, as opposed to having to lug 5g buckets up and down the steps all the time. It's going to be awhile before I can get to that, so I'm just going to drywall the wall for now and then rip it out in a year or two when I'm ready for the tank.

That sounds amazing - make sure to keep us updated on that.

I have a 65g freshwater right now, and had plans to do a 90g peninsula tank (I'm in love with the idea of a peninsula tank..) in the basement. I wanted to make that double as a sort of bar, with a ledge protruding from under the tank to rest drinks. I was really excited about it, but the reality of building a custom stand, trying to figure out how best to do maintenance (I don't have a sink in my basement at the moment), etc quickly set in. I'm still hoping to do that at some point, but it's further down my priority list these days.

#13 3 years ago

That looks amazing!

#14 3 years ago

Will be following this to the very end! Thanks!!

#15 3 years ago

My room is going to end up being about 11' 4" wide after IB clips, channel and the double drywall. It's going to be a challenge to get all 6 seats in there, but I think a narrower walkway is worth the trade off for the 6 seats. I would have made the room bigger, but I was stuck because of the poles holding up the house.

Finished height should be able 7' 4" and I'm planning on a 10" riser. So it will be close, but I don't think it will be a problem. I can always cut down on the riser once I find out how much room I actually have.

I would recommend you put it right above the seat back of the second row. It might technically be low enough to hit your head on, but if it's above the seat back, you won't be able to hit your head on it because of the way you naturally stand up and sit down. That's my plan. I don't know if I'll need a hush box or not...

Yes those poles are a pain to work around. The width of my theater room was hindered by two poles but I just enclosed them
    in the wall. My riser was built with 2x6 and I added another 2x4 on bottom to just get another knotch in height over the front row.
    I then just installed black carpet over the riser platform. I think it will be ok with projector mount but like you said it shouldn't interfere.
    I have a professionally installed 2x2 drop ceiling in my basement which was the only thing I contracted out besides the carpet. Wish
    I did drywall but on a few occasions needed to get up in ceiling for access. I thought about changing ceiling in theater to dry wall
    but of course I have laundry and powder room above. Will probably paint ceiling matte black to fit into theater experience more.
    Right now I been researching this whole projector thing with some guidance from Best Buy. With my budget I was looking at
    an Epson 3D 1080p vs a comparable Sony. My neighbor has a 3D Epson and it looked great in 1080P.

#16 3 years ago

FalconDriver - another option to consider for a projector is to look at the used market. I've tried all the tech available and LCoS from JVC is still the most film like option.

#17 3 years ago

I just favorite-ed this thread. Nice nice nice. You should be very proud, and you made the right choice on having the drywall done. Takes tons of skill and makes a big diff on final appearance. Don't let them do the rock job less than GREAT.

#18 3 years ago
    Quoted from scottslash:

You should be very proud, and you made the right choice on having the drywall done. Takes tons of skill and makes a big diff on final appearance. Don't let them do the rock job less than GREAT.

The electric work I don't have a problem with, but 1000% agree with Drywall. Want nothing to do with it! I think I say that in every game room thread too

#19 3 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

The electric work I don't have a problem with, but 1000% agree with Drywall.

Really! I'll do electrical -- and even plumbing -- ALL DAY before I even TRY to hang, tape, and finish sheetrock!! (or "drywall" depending on your area of the country)

#20 3 years ago
    Quoted from jedimastermatt:

FalconDriver - another option to consider for a projector is to look at the used market. I've tried all the tech available and LCoS from JVC is still the most film like option.

Thanks I appreciate that and will certainly look into this.

#21 3 years ago

Subscribed for the awesomeness!

Looks great so far!

Chris

#22 3 years ago

From the nice looking work I would have never guessed you have no experience. I'm sure your dad has some experience?
    That's the cleanest job site I have ever seen! Good job.

#23 3 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Drywall. Want nothing to do with it! I think I say that in every game room thread too

I agree as well. I figured, best case scenario, I save a little bit of money and do a mediocre job at drywalling my basement. That quickly turns into a worst case scenario when you're spending all of your weekends helping your buddies drywall their basements!

#24 3 years ago

Thanks everyone for the great comments. I'll have more to share on Monday after a weekend of work. The plan this weekend is the rest of the speaker wire, boxes for the windows, and maybe start insulating the outside walls everywhere but the theater. I also ordered some decoupling isolators for the theater but I have to cut an inch off of 3 walls before I can install them. That's what happens when you don't even think of soundproofing before you start building walls.

Oh well, live and learn.

Quoted from t2:

From the nice looking work I would have never guessed you have no experience. I'm sure your dad has some experience?

He does, but the funny thing is that he's providing labor and very limited advice. Apparently he decided that he was going to let me make all the decisions and not interfere unless absolutely necessary.

Quoted from Deaconblooze:

trying to figure out how best to do maintenance (I don't have a sink in my basement at the moment)

Not having a sink near the tank is going to be a pain, but I've been dealing with it for the last 3 years. Just buy a lot of buckets.

When I finally get around to getting the tank, the plan is to automate as much as possible with my Neptune Apex and a Genesis water change system. Add that to some Neptune Dos pumps for Ca, Alk & Mg and there won't be too much to do other than enjoy the tank, feed the fish / coral and clean the glass.

#25 3 years ago

We put in about 6 hours on Saturday and about 7 hours on Sunday. A good bit of it was trying to button the odds and ends up and get ready for drywall.

I ran another 1000' of cable, pre-wiring for 6 speakers in the game room, 4 in the soffit in the bar area and another 4 in the pool room area. I decided to run a 3rd Cat 6 drop to each TV just in case. It's about $0.12/ft to run, so for a few dollars a TV, I'll have another wire, just in case.

I haven't decided which distributed audio system I'll be using, but I also pulled some Cat 6 to 3 different places for Volume Source Controls (VSC). For those of you that have never seen them, they are small, single gang key pads that allow you to control both the volume and audio source in a defined zone. So there will be one for the game room, one for the pool room and one for the bar. That way, you can listen to one thing in the game room and a different source in the pool room.

VSC_(resized).jpg

I made the decision to insulate the basement even though there was blanket wrap on the walls. The blanket wrap has an R-10 value, whereas code in my area is for living spaces to have an R-13 value. We threw on some Tyvex suits, masks and gloves and went to work. The entire game room, minus a spot here or there is done. I took the pictures Saturday evening, so it doesn't show all the progress.

Game_Room_Insulation_1_(resized).jpg

Game_Room_Insulation_2_(resized).jpg

We also decided to tackle that pesky crack in the wall and did a foundation inspection to make sure there weren't any other ones that needed addressed. I decided to go with an epoxy injection system, as opposed to just some normal caulk. It was much more expensive, but I think it's more solid that the rest of the wall.

Interesting system. You had to clean the crack and then install injection ports that lined up with the center of the crack every 6". You attached them with a 2-part epoxy that needed to be mixed. After letting them set up, you mixed up the rest of the epoxy and covered the entire crack from floor to ceiling. In the video, they wanted it between 1/8 - 1/4". Once that hardened, you started at the bottom and injected the second epoxy until it started running out the hole above where you started. You cap that port and then continue the process all the way up the wall to the top. After 24 hours, this thing is as hard as a rock. It says you can remove the ports with a chisel, but I really don't see the need. I'm just going to cover it back up with the blanket wrap.

Crack_Repair_1_(resized).jpg

Crack_Repair_2_(resized).jpg

Crack_Repair_3_(resized).jpg

We had a hot water fitting at the bar that was seeping. It was probably a drop every 24 hours. After ripping it apart 3 times and wrenching on it as hard as we could, we decided to replace the nipple and the 1/2" drop ear. It's not leaking anymore. The bar is also ready for drywall on the inside and we have the plywood on the face ready for the reclaimed lumber.

There are also 3 outlets that tie in with the GFI circuit from the bathroom.

Bar_1_(resized).jpg

Bar_2_(resized).jpg

There were a few boards that had twisted we cut out and replaced, and we needed to remove some nailers in the theater. I misunderstood the conversation I had with the soundproofing company and started the decoupling incorrectly. I had to purchase some IB-3 brackets and directly decouple the walls from the floor joists. Thank goodness there is only one wall that needs to be cut shorter. The others were just attached every so often to the joists with small nailers. We started cutting them out and replacing them with the clips.

IB-3-sound-isolation-clip_(resized).jpg

We have some more insulation to hang in the non-theater areas and I have to build the rail system for the steps. We cut out part of the wall, to open that side of the steps to the room. After that is done and the circuits are wired to the panel, we need to rip out the old lighting circuits and we'll be ready for drywall!

#27 3 years ago

Excellent progress!!!! You're moving quickly.

1 week later
    #28 3 years ago

Weekend basement update.

We didn't get a lot done this weekend, since we only worked on Sunday. I started a monthly pinball tournament where we have leagues, so I took Saturday off. Gotta' have priorities.

Needed to make two trips to Home Depot on Sunday which chewed up some of the day. I forgot the damn caulk for the Thermopan so we had to go back.

Anyway, we ran another 20A circuit to the equipment room. I had initially planned on a single 20A, but that's before I decided to do audio in all the other rooms. Throw a few amps on there along with all the rest of the stuff for the theater and I didn't think 20A would cut it.

Finished tying up all the low voltage wires and added some protection in the case of a drywall screw mishap. I can't have someone running a screw into one of of the bundles of wires.

We installed two of the three return ducts and did some more insulation. Another few hours on insulation and the game room, bar area and bathroom will all be ready for drywall. Then it's on to the theater.

In the first picture, you can see the wires for the TV (HDMI, IR, Cat 6, etc). Does anyone have a creative way to keep the wires out of the way of the drywallers? With electric you can just jam it back in the box of the way, but I can't seem to find a solution for that many low voltage wires.

25783731215_c1deac4d80_o_(resized).jpg

25757638326_2db8553fe6_o_(resized).jpg

25688632221_0c18961955_o_(resized).jpg

25688628071_73d4e09e4a_o_(resized).jpg

25688626071_9daed8bb1d_o_(resized).jpg

25483025040_9e364d9a2c_o_(resized).jpg

#29 3 years ago

Does anyone have a creative way to keep the wires out of the way of the drywallers?

The only thing I can think of is a thick copper shield. Like maybe 1/8th inch thick.

#30 3 years ago

If they are not going to drywall the ceiling then just butt the wire ends at about the same length and temporarily pull most, (slack) up. For the main area where they all end up I would think you are going to have an installed wall distribution box similar to the attached picture.

Mick

b40178ef_image_(resized).jpeg

N-BUNDLE_(resized).jpg

1 month later
    #31 3 years ago

Well, it's been a few weeks since an update. Unfortunately, we only got to work a few days. Mostly odds and ends. My parent's horse just recently gave birth, so my Dad has been tied up. I was gone for PAPA, so that hosed a week.

I need to run one wire in the main area of the basement and then the only thing left to do is clean up all the crap so the drywallers can work. I signed the contract and sent in the deposit check about 2 weeks ago. They have me scheduled for a May 30th start date. The initial plan was to have the main section done first and then have them come back for the theater. I'm trying to get the theater done by the 30th so they can do it all at once. If not, they want to stock the theater while they are doing the rest of the basement, so I'd be working around piles of drywall.

My HVAC guy is supposed to come in this weekend and do some work. I need a gas line run for a stove since it's electric now and we want it converted. I'm also having him run a line set for a mini-split in the theater that will get installed after the walls are up. Once he does that, I can finish the channel in the theater. All the clips are up, but I need him out of there before I can put the rest of the channel up and install the backer boxes for the Atmos speakers and the lighting.

Anyway, on to the pictures.

Here are the IB-1 clips used to hold the channel that decouples the drywall from the framing. These little buggers are $2.50/each plus shipping. I think I've went through about 400 of them. This was the 2nd shipment.

IMG_9794_(resized).JPG

Here are some of the walls with the channel up. Guess who's an idiot and didn't think of putting the insulation up before they installed the channel......Might have been me.

Oh well, it only takes a few minutes to pull down the channel.

IMG_9746_(resized).JPG

IMG_9824_(resized).JPG

I've been trying to get the theater configuration set, which has been a chore. Unfortunately it's going to be a pretty narrow room after the double drywall goes up on the channel. I really wanted 6 seats, but there is no way to center them and still leave walking space on either side. The only way to get 6 is to shift the rows over to the side opposite the door. This causes two issues, the main issue being the loss of the "money seat". I really wanted one seat in the theater to build the audio around. I also won't have a seat perfectly centered on the screen if I shift them to the side.

Even if I only go with 2 in each row, there still won't be a money seat, so I might as well go with 2 rows of 3 and be done with it. The seats that are separated out in the picture will be the bitch seats. Unfortunately they will be the furthest shifted from center and will be a little overwhelmed with the side surround, but there is nothing I can do.

I started laying out the pillars as well. The plan is for them to be 4" deep and house the side surrounds. I could build the speakers into the wall and gain the 4" back, but then I would have to build boxes in the wall to contain the sound leakage. I'd much rather build a sound proof box and keep the speakers inside the bunker.

IMG_9831_(resized).JPG

There are going to be two columns at the back for the surround back speakers, but I hadn't laid them out before I took the picture.

1 week later
    #32 3 years ago

We got a lot of loose ends tied up over the weekend. The drywallers needed some nailers in a few places that we missed when doing the framing. I also pulled the speaker wires for the front, surrounds and surround back speakers. I needed a few more Cat 6 drops that we pulled along with a few I wanted pulled upstairs before the ceiling gets closed.

I'm doing an Atmos system in the theater, so we started building backer boxes for the speakers. It's an OSB box that's caulked with acoustical sealant, then a layer of green glue and 5/8" drywall. The box is then suspended in the ceiling on the decoupled channel and the speaker is set in after the drywall goes up.

The boxes for the lights are a little different because you have to deal with the heat from the light, so the drywall gets replaced with cement board.

We were finally able to run the lighting circuit in the theater and put the soundproofing pads on the back of all the electrical boxes. I'm waiting for my HVAC guy to run the lineset for the mini-split and a propane line for my stove. Once he's done, I can insulate the ceiling in the theater and put the rest of the channel up.

Unfortunately I don't have any pictures, but we'll be working this week so hopefully I'll snap a few.

#33 3 years ago

I did a little more work last night with the backer boxes. Unfortunately I didn't get a ton done. These things are a little annoying to build.

Here are a few pictures. I need to build 2 more for the speakers and then two for the lights. I have the OSB shell built for the others, but need to cut the drywall, cement board and then put them together.

Then they get hung in the ceiling using decoupling isolators called IB-3 clips. They are the same clips that I used to attach the framed wall to the ceiling joists, so the walls never directly touch the joists.

My HVAC guy comes tomorrow to install the line set for the mini split and run the fresh air intake to the furnace. Now that I'm enclosing the mechanicals, I need an outside intake for the furnace.

This is the Green Glue on the back of the 5/8" drywall. Then it gets screwed to the OSB and then all the joints get caulked. I still need to attach the flange that will butt up against the first layer of drywall.

IMG_0004_(resized).JPG

IMG_0005_(resized).JPG

#34 3 years ago

dreaming of the day i can start planning my basement...Its looking good so far!

#35 3 years ago
    Quoted from AlexfromPA:

dreaming of the day i can start planning my basement...Its looking good so far!

Thanks! It's a lot of work, but hopefully someday, I'll actually get to move a machine down there.

This weekend was pretty productive. Drywall delivery is Friday and the drywallers start on Monday. My HVAC guy is stopping by on Friday as well to finish with the mini-split line set for the theater. He also has the run the fresh air intake for the furnace now that I'm enclosing the mechanicals in a room.

We got a lot done on the theater. I have the back wall and the ceiling to finish and then it's pretty much ready. The ceiling is going to take a lot of time because of having to hang the backer boxes for the speakers and lighting. I also need to put up a 5/8" piece of plywood where the projector. That gives me a nailer when I go to install a 25lb projector.

I went through and put the putty pads on the back of all the outlet boxes. I was also able to get electric run for the wall sconces and pull the wire for all the speakers that aren't going in the ceiling.

Here are the Atmos speaker boxes built. I'm considering adding another 5/8" layer of drywall to the outside, but if I did that, they would be really freakin' heavy.

IMG_0239_(resized).JPG

Here is the line set for the mini-split system.

IMG_0238_(resized).JPG

Each outlet, since it's a penetration in the drywall, needs to be treated.

IMG_0237_(resized).JPG

We also finished the backer boxes for the lighting. I'm only doing 2 screen accent lights. All the rest of the lighting will be sconces. There won't be any other ceiling lighting.

IMG_0236_(resized).JPG

And finally two pictures of the room. I didn't really have much time to take more.

IMG_0235_(resized).JPG

IMG_0234_(resized).JPG

1 week later
    #36 3 years ago

This is going to be one of the bigger updates. I took the day off on Thursday and Friday of last week to get ready for the drywall delivery. I knew I could get the main sections of the basement ready, but would need the weekend to get the theater done. We put in 13 hours on Thursday and 19 hours on Friday. We took the day off on Saturday and finished things up.

I decided to throw another layer of 5/8" drywall on the Atmos speaker boxes which made them really freakin' heavy. It took about an hour to figure out how to get the first one up in the ceiling and perfectly level with the bottom of the channel. The rim around the bottom needs to seal perfectly with the first layer of drywall. It gets a layer of acoustical caulk for added protection.

IMG_0332_(resized).JPG

It took a good bit of brute force to get them up there and secured, but it was much easier after we figured out how to do it.

I added a piece of 19/32" plywood as a nailer on the ceiling and on the back wall. They don't make 5/8" plywood, so that was the closest I could find. The ceiling nailer is for the 35lb projector and the back wall will house the min-split HVAC system, so I wanted something to sturdy to mount the indoor unit on.

IMG_0342_(resized).JPG

We also added electric for the projector and ran a conduit to where the projector will mount. The added weight of the projector required the use of additional channel and more clips. We also had to add more clips where the Atmos speaker boxes were secured due to the additional weight.

Friday was drywall delivery day. The drywallers asked if they could start hanging the ceiling since they were already there. The room was ready, so told them to go ahead. Here was their progress. It took them about 4 hours to carry in 100+ sheets of drywall and hang the ceiling....there were only 2 of them.

IMG_0295_(resized).JPG

I also had a guy in to run a gas line to the stove. We needed some room in the panel for the mini-split. The stove was electric and my wife wanted gas, so instead of spending $800 on a sub panel, we decided to go ahead and put that money towards a new stove. I can steal the stove breakers for the mini-split, so no need for a sub panel.

They started the basement on Monday morning. They got the first layer on the theater and was able to get about 50% of the main section done. They were back yesterday to finish. I made sure I was there to apply the acoustical compound to the back of the second layer. If I never see another tube of green caulk again, it will be too soon.

Unfortunately I don't have any pictures after they left yesterday, but I'll try and get some tonight. The finishers start on Friday and I was told it will be a 4 day process. So as of the end of the day next Wednesday, all the drywall should be done.

Here are some pictures of the theater shortly before we were finished on Sunday.

IMG_0334_(resized).JPG

IMG_0339_(resized).JPG

IMG_0333_(resized).JPG

This is just the low voltage for the basement.

IMG_0348_(resized).JPG

Here is how things looked at the end of the day Monday.

Bathroom:

IMG_0354_(resized).JPG

Game room:

IMG_0356_(resized).JPG

IMG_0300_(resized).JPG

Here is the theater after the first layer.

IMG_0358_(resized).JPG

IMG_0357_(resized).JPG

This is the acoustical compound that goes on the back of each sheet of drywall. Each 8' sheet gets 56oz and 12 - 14' sheets get 84oz. Talk about a lot of compound.

IMG_0359_(resized).JPG

IMG_0361_(resized).JPG

And this is what you end up with at the end of two layers of 5/8" drywall, acoustical gel, decoupling isolators and channel.

IMG_0366_(resized).JPG

#37 3 years ago

Wow, nice progress. I can't imagine carry that many sheets. Friend and I carried 30 and thought I was going to die!

That will be massive space. Can I use the theatre room to stay overnight since you're close to my work? I will Febreeze before and after so it doesn't stink.

How many machines do you think you can cram down there in the space you have slotted for pins?

#38 3 years ago

Looking great!!

#39 3 years ago

Whats the square footage down there? 1800ish?

#40 3 years ago
    Quoted from dmacy:

That will be massive space. Can I use the theatre room to stay overnight since you're close to my work? I will Febreeze before and after so it doesn't stink.

That's a scary proposition, especially since there isn't a window in the theater. You're liable to die of H2S exposure.

Quoted from dmacy:

How many machines do you think you can cram down there in the space you have slotted for pins?

I'm not sure exactly. I'm thinking upwards of 25.

#41 3 years ago
    Quoted from amkoepfer:

Whats the square footage down there? 1800ish?

I think the total square footage is 1,980, but I haven't measured everything to be sure yet. I need to do that for the subfloor. Instead of building around sewer / water lines, I decided to remove the jog in the wall and make everything as much of a square as possible. I wanted it to look as much like a living spaces as possible, as opposed to being all chopped up like a typical basement.

Since we did that, there are some sections of the walls that are 1' away from the foundation walls.

Once the drywallers are done, it's on to paint and the subfloor.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to go with a Delta FL underlay with OSB secured with Tapcons. That should give me what I need for both the engineered hardwood and the carpet.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_132387-46612-51050_0__?productId=999919440

#42 3 years ago

Thatll look great! I like the open space. Wish mine could have been that open! Did you buy paint yet? Home depot had 40 dollars off 5 gal buckets last weekend. I bought mine because of that.

#43 3 years ago
    Quoted from amkoepfer:

Did you buy paint yet?

Not yet. I'm planning on picking up the primer first. My brother in law is a painting contractor in Virginia Beach. He gave me his Sherwin Williams account number and told me that I want to get their PVA Primer. Apparently he gets a discount.

http://www.sherwin-williams.com/painting-contractors/products/catalog/pva-drywall-primer-sealer/

Once I have everything primed and ready, he's going to paint the entire basement for me.

#45 3 years ago

My brother in law said although it sucks, I should roll it.

#46 3 years ago

def the way to go!

#47 3 years ago

I just finished rolling primer and 2 coats paint on the walls and ceiling of my 24x24x10 garage and it took a loooooong time. I should have gotten that paint that goes on as a color, can't remember what color when it's wet but dries white. I missed all kinds of spots cuz I couldn't see where I had left off when I went to put more paint on the roller.

#48 3 years ago
    Quoted from MustangPaul:

I just finished rolling primer and 2 coats paint on the walls and ceiling of my 24x24x10 garage and it took a loooooong time.

Don't tell me that! Just the game room is 48 x 17 x 8.

I was thinking about one of those power painters for the primer. My brother in law said he would never use one, but he's a purist. I'm thinking it might be just fine for the primer.

He said an 18" roller would be the way he would go.

#49 3 years ago

Don't tell me that! Just the game room is 48 x 17 x 8.
    I was thinking about one of those power painters for the primer. My brother in law said he would never use one, but he's a purist. I'm thinking it might be just fine for the primer.
    He said an 18" roller would be the way he would go.

When I have a large area to paint I bust out my power roller. Def the way to go. Actually have 2 of them. They take a bit to clean (run soapy water through them for about 30 minutes) but that part is automatic. Even after doing that the pump lines clogged but the entire unit is so easy to service it takes me 2 minutes to clear the clog. Well worth the money. At first it starts painting a reverse hole punch but once you figure it out you can just keep going. Protip is to not hold the button the entire time after the roller is saturated with paint. My friend bought one and complained that it pumped the paint too fast so figured I would mention it.
    http://www.wagnerspraytech.com/products/rollers-pads/rollers/smart-power-roller-system/

#50 3 years ago

I was looking at the Sidekick model since I'm going to be buying the primer in 5g buckets.

http://www.wagnerspraytech.com/products/rollers-pads/rollers/smart-sidekick-roller/

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 22.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 40.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    G-Money Mods
    $ 5.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Pinball Haus
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 128.00
    Playfield - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Other
    Rock Custom Pinball
    £ 55.00
    Lighting - Led
    PinballToys
    $ 7,500.00
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    $ 79.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    $ 84.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinBoss Mods
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 42.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 87.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 79.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 159.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Pinball Pimp
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    Boards
    PCB Emporium
    $ 96.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 32.00
    Playfield - Other
    Pin Monk
    There are 322 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 7.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside