Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 156 posts
  • 70 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by kray37
  • Topic is favorited by 9 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

12890483765_803f576140_h.jpg
    P1000151.JPG
    P1000152.JPG
    P1000150.JPG
    P1000143.JPG
    P1000142.JPG
    P1000140.JPG
    P1000138.JPG
    P1000141.JPG
    P1000137.JPG
    P1000139.JPG
    P1000136.JPG
    P1000135.JPG
    P1000134.JPG
    P1000132.JPG
    P1000133.JPG
    There are 156 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.
    #1 10 years ago

Well, been in my new home a little less than a year and finally able to begin finishing off my basement and building out my game room.

I'll give details and upload pics as things move along. Any and all suggestions are welcome and appreciated. Most of my ideas I got from reading thru this section of Pinside.

Game room area is 37x15 with a separate area built out for a skee ball alley and my Hyperspin cabinet. All of the square footage is usable for pins except for a crane game and Chexx hockey that I'm going to put in there somewhere.

Laying black/charcoal commercial carpeting and plan on painting the ceiling charcoal grey.

Not sure what to do with the lights. I'm putting recessed lighting over the skee ball, but not sure what to do in the main pin area. I like some light when playing pins, can't have it too dark. Was thinking about putting track lighting straight down the middle of the room (lengthwise) as the pins will be lined up along the walls. The tracks will essentially be directly above the players heads.

Again, any suggestions are appreciated.

(First pic is main pin area, 2nd pic is skee ball alley area under steps)

image.jpgimage.jpg image.jpgimage.jpg

#2 10 years ago

That ought to be one kick a$$ gameroom when it's done.

#3 10 years ago

Nice that should work slick I assume the white door is a straight shot to outside.
    Can you fit a row on each wall with space in the middle or just racking up one wall?

Will look back for finished pics best of luck.

#4 10 years ago

There are double pocket doors at the far end. The double width is for convenience since the entry to the basement (from that white door behind it) is 3ft. The door leads to steps up to the garage. Makes it relatively easy to get pins in and out (which is why I put the double pocket doors down that end. I think I'm going to put a commercial aluminum storefront door with sidelight for the main entrance off the TV area of the basement.

I plan on fitting a row of pins along each wall with space between them in the middle.

#5 10 years ago

Nice long room but with people playing that's only going to leave about a 2ft wide path down the middle for people to walk. One pin with player = 75-80in. and if the players are big or like to stretch out when they play it could get real crowded down there. You could always angle the games but then you wouldn't get as many down there. People like to stand and watch other people play.

#6 10 years ago

Can't wait to see it finished!!!!

#7 10 years ago

Agreed! Can't wait until its finished!

#8 10 years ago

I hate everyone with a basement...so jealous.

#9 10 years ago
    Quoted from Toasterdog:

I hate everyone with a basement...so jealous.

I have a friend that lives in clearwater and he says the same.

#10 10 years ago

Looking good! Keep us updated with pics as you go. I really enjoy seeing other people's achievements! Are you doing the work yourself?

#11 10 years ago
    Quoted from MustangPaul:

Nice long room but with people playing that's only going to leave about a 2ft wide path down the middle for people to walk. One pin with player = 75-80in. and if the players are big or like to stretch out when they play it could get real crowded down there. You could always angle the games but then you wouldn't get as many down there. People like to stand and watch other people play.

Ya, I'm aware of that. I spent about 5 hours working on the floor plan on a flight from PHL to PHX a few months ago. I have to build some other rooms in the basement as well and this was the best option for the pins.

The more modern the pin the more play it seems to get when I have people over. I'm going to try to line them up so that the more popular games have a less popular game behind them.

Plumbing and electrical rough in start this week. Basically going to have a boatload of surge protected outlets low along both walls running back to a bank of switches by the main door.

#13 10 years ago

subscribed for the awesomeness!

Love watching these threads. Good luck with the build.

Chris

#14 10 years ago

Consider a sub panel for the room with built in surge suppression.

#15 10 years ago

After 2 years of anticipation this showed up today. Now I get to look at the box for 5 more weeks or so. I guess it's motivation to get the damn job done. :/

image.jpgimage.jpg

#16 10 years ago

Nice thread, I'll be doing the same at some point so I'll keep watching this one.

#17 10 years ago
    Quoted from Mojosan:

After 2 years of anticipation this showed up today. Now I get to look at the box for 5 more weeks or so. I guess it's motivation to get the damn job done. :/

That's gotta HURT!

#18 10 years ago

I did go out into the garage just to stare at the box for a while.

#19 10 years ago

Did ya give it a hug too. I do that with my Mustang too.

#20 10 years ago
    Quoted from Mojosan:

I did go out into the garage just to stare at the box for a while.

Haha! I would be doing the same! Congrats on the purchase and good luck with the game room build.

#21 10 years ago

That's gonna be awesome!
    Keep up the pics so we can live vicariously in your gameroom

#22 10 years ago

Did ya give it a hug too. I do that with my Mustang too.

I hear ya. I took it to the Phillies game last night. We're spending some quality time together...

pinball_phillies.jpgpinball_phillies.jpg

#23 10 years ago
    Quoted from Mojosan:

I hear ya. I took it to the Phillies game last night. We're spending some quality time together...

Now that's funny right there!

Chris

#24 10 years ago

SO FUNNY!!! Hate to have been the people in the seats behind it tho. You don't even have it out of the box and your already having fun with it.

#25 10 years ago

Make sure that you have plenty of power for your games. I run a maximum of seven pinballs off of each twenty amp breaker with no problems. Each set of games is controlled by a wall switch.

#26 10 years ago

I can come down and help you unbox that in a few weeks!

#27 10 years ago

Great looking space... and box.

#28 10 years ago

Make sure that you have plenty of power for your games. I run a maximum of seven pinballs off of each twenty amp breaker with no problems. Each set of games is controlled by a wall switch.

Yes, actually only putting 4 games on a breaker just because I have the capacity. Keeping each set of games on its own switch in a small closet that actually outside the gameroom.

Also, taking my new best pal to the Eagles game on Thursday. Promised him a foam #1 finger if he's good.

pinball-eaglesgame.jpgpinball-eaglesgame.jpg

#29 10 years ago

Haha! The box pictures are great!

#30 10 years ago

Toss a few outlets up high for neons. Not sure if anyone suggested that yet.

#31 10 years ago

Apparently each NHL champion player gets a day out with the Stanley Cup. Taking your WOZ out is a bit more impressive, however.

#32 10 years ago
    Quoted from Syco54645:

Toss a few outlets up high for neons. Not sure if anyone suggested that yet.

Great minds think alike.

Not putting neons in the gameroom, but I'm having a line run high in the wall the entire perimeter of the bar/TV room just for that purpose.

#33 10 years ago

I see the box is enjoying these fieldtrips !

Buy him a season-ticket

#34 10 years ago
    Quoted from Thor-NL:

I see the box is enjoying these fieldtrips !
    Buy him a season-ticket

I think the bored graphic artist in my office is enjoying it more.

I got word that WoZ will soon be traveling on vacation...

#35 10 years ago

That's like someone taking you lawn Troll and sending you pictures of it at places it's visiting. Keep-um commin, your the only one that has ever done this with a NIB I think. Send them to JJ they will get a hoot out of it. Maybe your NIB could be the official spokesperson for WOZ.

#36 10 years ago

Moar pictures! This is a fantastic thread and great progress so far man!

#37 10 years ago

I'm heading to London this weekend. Apparently WOZ went ahead.

Hope he's having fun and not running up my credit card with long distance calls to Jersey.

image.jpgimage.jpg

#39 10 years ago

Looks like he's going to the Ministry of Magic! Another sign that Harry Potter may be JJP's next 3rd pin! lol

#40 10 years ago

With 15 foot across, your going to have a foot of space between games to get the glass off. If two people are playing on games directly across from each other. they will just barely be not touching asses. You won't be able to walk between, unless both players are doing a Bad Santa number on the games.

Looking good so far.

#41 10 years ago
    Quoted from Mojosan:

I'm heading to London this weekend. Apparently WOZ went ahead.
    Hope he's having fun and not running up my credit card with long distance calls to Jersey.

Entering a phoneboot ..... hope he is not already calling for a service-call

#42 10 years ago

I would just put in a few games and make it a bowling ally.

#43 10 years ago

I think you should mirror "ALL" the walls. Can you imagine what that room would loo like. You would have the biggest gameroom in the Universe.

1 week later
    #44 10 years ago

Been traveling this week. Electric all roughed in and awaiting inspection. Took a quick pic of the one wall.

photo_copy_12.JPGphoto_copy_12.JPG

#45 10 years ago

Wow, those are low. Wouldn't pass inspection here that close to the concrete.

#46 10 years ago

Have you considered breaking that down into at least 2 circuits instead of just one? These things are so much harder to go back and fix after the walls are up...

#47 10 years ago

That's not even debatable. If you want more than four pins it's going to have to be more than one circuit.

#48 10 years ago
    Quoted from ChadTower:

Wow, those are low. Wouldn't pass inspection here that close to the concrete.

According to Google search, the NEC has no minimum height and the ADA specifies minimum 15 inches from floor.

#49 10 years ago

Local code supercedes national code if it also satisfies national. If local says higher then that is what is required.

#50 10 years ago
    Quoted from ChadTower:

Local code supercedes national code if it also satisfies national. If local says higher then that is what is required.

True, you're lucky you aren't in Chicago. Everything here has to be run in awful metallic tubing. Thanks, unions! But even here we don't have a minimum outlet height. We do have to install GFCI outlets in strange places, though (basement rec room is not one of them).

I've also learned that passing inspection does NOT mean that you're up to code - I've seen some things that were passed by the inspector that should not have been.

Check your town's website for the local electric code, which if you are lucky is just "we adopt the NEC."

There are 156 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/game-room-build-finally-underway and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.