• Latest reply 10 years ago by BR80
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

NoThermistor.jpg
#1 10 years ago

Starting to troubleshoot a Gilligan's Island that is resetting and figured I'd start with the thermistor...only to find there wasn't one.
NoThermistor.jpgNoThermistor.jpg
Before I move onto testing the BRs and Caps, should I add a thermistor even if there wasn't one to begin with?

#2 10 years ago

A missing inrush limiter will not be causing the reset problem -- but a bad inrush limiter can cause the problem. Completely removing the inrush limiter eliminated the inrush limiter being the cause of the resets. Not a bad idea to put one back in. Williams used quite large caps on some of the supplies. The current inrush at initial turn on to charge the caps is pretty high - the inrush limiter cuts down a little bit on the initial current spikes.
Before moving to BR's and caps -- look at the cheaper and failure prone connectors first. Just a few mate/unmate cycles can drastically reduce the effectivity of the internal connector contacts.

#3 10 years ago

Some WPC power boxes don't have them.

They are not absolutely necessary, although it's easy enough to wire one in.

That being said, I had a cracked solder joint on one of the hot wire segments that was causing resets on one of my games.

Check all of the connections now that you have the box open, including the tension on those QD connectors.

There are a lot of joints in there that can go flaky.

RussMyers

#4 10 years ago

Wow, I didn't even know Pins used thermistors Interesting...

#5 10 years ago

Thanks guys, good info on thermistors....checked all the simple stuff and had to move onto BR2 and C5.
Changed both of them and system is now stable. Cheers!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/game-resets-no-thermistor and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.