Topic Stats

• 15 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by LTG
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 2 years ago

About what year did vendors start charging .50 a game, .75 for two games, and 1.00 for 3?

#2 2 years ago

November 1980 Black Knight was the first game delivered set at 50¢ a game play.

LTG : )

#3 2 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

November 1980 Black Knight was the first game delivered set at 50¢ a game play.

Considering that minimum wage was $3.10 in 1980, 50c a game was expensive.

#4 2 years ago

Wow! I was thinking closer to the 1990's. Thank you

#5 2 years ago

I had always read that Black Hole was the first game to charge $0.50 per play; which quickly led it to being the highest grossing pinball of all time up to that point.

#6 2 years ago
Quoted from Marty_Graw77:

I had always read that Black Hole was the first game to charge $0.50 per play;

Black Hole came out in October of 1981. Wasn't first.

#7 2 years ago

I am surprised with the inflation we have seen lately, that pins are still only .75 or $1 at $5800 for a new pin minimum.

#8 2 years ago
Quoted from ovfdfireman:

I am surprised with the inflation we have seen lately, that pins are still only .75 or $1 at $5800 for a new pin minimum.

I was surprised to learn that checking the US Government cost of living indexes, that the 50¢ a game should have gone to 75¢ a game in 1991 to have the same buying power.

I always thought the player base was decimated in the early 1990's which led to the demise of pinball by 1999 ( except for Stern ). It was the money they were taking in was worth a lot less. Not loss of players.

The decline in buying power led to ops buying less, distributors buying less, manufacturers selling less. By 1995 or so we were on the roller coaster to hell and no stopping it.

#9 2 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

I was surprised to learn that checking the US Government cost of living indexes, that the 50¢ a game should have gone to 75¢ a game in 1991 to have the same buying power.
I always thought the player base was decimated in the early 1990's which led to the demise of pinball by 1999 ( except for Stern ). It was the money they were taking in was worth a lot less. Not loss of players.
The decline in buying power led to ops buying less, distributors buying less, manufacturers selling less. By 1995 or so we were on the roller coaster to hell and no stopping it.

Lloyd, could it also be related to so many companies pumping out so many pins. At one point 100,000 games , not every op could buy each new one.

#10 2 years ago
Quoted from chad:

Lloyd, could it also be related to so many companies pumping out so many pins. At one point 100,000 games , not every op could buy each new one.

No, production numbers were dropping fast in the early 1990's. Look up numbers for AFM, etc. Compared to earlier years. Ignore Addams.

It's little things. You are taking in good numbers. But don't realize right away it isn't going as far. Rent goes up a little. Utilities goes up a little. Food goes up a little. I lived through this. My numbers were good but I was losing ground. And I didn't understand why, then. I wasn't buying as much new equipment as I used to.

#11 2 years ago

I’m amazed when I go play Iron Maiden and it’s only .75. That’s a lot of games for the op to just break even let alone rent, utilities, and maintenance. And that’s at a pizzacade without alcohol! Gotta be tough...

#12 2 years ago
Quoted from Phat_Jay:

I’m amazed when I go play Iron Maiden and it’s only .75. That’s a lot of games for the op to just break even let alone rent, utilities, and maintenance. And that’s at a pizzacade without alcohol! Gotta be tough...

2 to 3 three years maybe.

#13 2 years ago

Haunted House was the first pin that I ever saw that actually charged 50 cents. Black Knight was a quarter in all the local arcades.

#14 2 years ago
Quoted from vicjw66:

Haunted House was the first pin that I ever saw that actually charged 50 cents. Black Knight was a quarter in all the local arcades.

I'm sure many of you are familiar with the inflation calculator: https://www.usinflationcalculator.com/ … according to it, if you paid a quarter in 1980, in today's prices that should be $0.76!

We have our games priced from $0.50 (pre-DMD) - $1.00 (newer Sterns mostly) if you use quarters. If you get a swipe-card you get better deal depending on how much you put on the card.

I will say that, with a couple of exceptions, the 50 cent games generally do not bring in enough to cover the cost of electricity and the floor space they take up.

Kevin

#15 2 years ago
Quoted from Kevkat:

I will say that, with a couple of exceptions, the 50 cent games generally do not bring in enough to cover the cost of electricity and the floor space they take up.

Learned that one the hard way. Trying to keep pinball reasonable way longer than I should have. When I finally raised prices, I realized I should have done so years earlier.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 12.00
Cabinet - Other
Siegecraft Electronics

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside