• Latest reply 5 years ago by Playdium
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Super Nova MPU.pdf (PDF preview)
#1 5 years ago

The machine fails to start and I am seeing the following. At the rectifier test points, the voltages are TP1=13.4vdc, TP2=4.9vdc, TP3=6.2vdc, TP4=28.1vdc.
The reference voltages I found online are, TP1=12-14vdc, TP2=5vdc, TP3=7vdc, TP4=24vdc.
The MPU blinks 4 times upon powering up.
As others have stated, the pin connectors have a tendency to corrode. I therefore re-pinned many of the connectors and placed new Molex plugs.

Next step in troubleshooting?

Many thanks.

#3 5 years ago

My competency ends when the discussion of bench testing circuit boards begins.

#4 5 years ago
Quoted from Playdium:

The MPU blinks 4 times upon powering up.

Since you're only getting 4 MPU LED flashes on power up (there should be 6 flashes for a successful boot), the board is failing at the 5th power on test.

In the link Atari_Daze posted above:

"MPU LED Flash 5.
The fifth MPU LED flash indicates the I/O is good, which is handled by the Peripheral Interface Adaptor (PIA) chip. If there is no 5th flash, replace the U17 (8255 PIA) chip. Could also be the I/O chip select gate at U4 (74LS00)."

#5 5 years ago

Issue resolved by replacing a bad chip on the MPU. Running fine now.

#6 5 years ago
Quoted from Playdium:

Issue resolved by replacing a bad chip on the MPU. Running fine now.

Can you tell us which chip was faulty for future reference? May help someone with the same issue down the track.

#7 5 years ago

On the attached image, it's the chip numbered 51. The "8255 PIA" as mentioned in the manual, can be purchased at Marco Specialties for $5.95. It is a 40 pin microprocessor. After replacing, I got the 6 blinks on the MPU as needed.

Super Nova MPU.pdfSuper Nova MPU.pdf
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 179.99
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/game-plan-super-nova-won-t-start-up and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.