• Latest reply 3 years ago by pinballj
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screen Shot 2021-04-12 at 6.22.42 PM (resized).png
#1 3 years ago

Does anyone know what the 9 ohm resistors on the pop bumper lamps are for?

Did they use a different bulb for the pop bumpers? I am restoring one and was planning on just putting a #47 bulb in but this has me questioning it.

I also noticed that these appear to be the only lamps that use the buffered lamp outputs not sure if that is just coincidence or not.

Thanks

Screen Shot 2021-04-12 at 6.22.42 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2021-04-12 at 6.22.42 PM (resized).png
#2 3 years ago

My guess would be they are running the lamps off of coil voltage and the resistor keeps them from burning out.

#3 3 years ago

the lamps are off the same matrix as the normal playfield lamps so I don't think that's it.

#4 3 years ago

If they are the only ones using buffered outputs it's likely to add an additional load to ensure the buffer operates. Look at the specs for the buffer chip to see if it needs a specific load.

#5 3 years ago

thanks

that might be it

#6 3 years ago

Pretty sure that this was done since the pop bumpers could be on for an extremely long time with #44s originally. Therefore it melted or discolored the pop bumper caps. Reason I think this, is because another GP game that has more than one pop bumper driven off the same driver still has an inline resistor as well. Only the pop bumpers too. Andromeda is a good example.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 129.99
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 16.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/game-plan-sharpshooter-resistors-on-pop-bumper-lights and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.