Topic Stats

• 4 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by slochar
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 4 years ago

I am trying to figure out a way to convert my Game Plan Sharp shooter II from a sound board to chimes. I have a chime unit. I have tapped power from the cabinet. I have identified 4 unused transisitors on the Solenoid Driver Unit. I have hooked up a ground wire and diode to the chime coil and grounded the transistor manually to test the connections. The chime sounds.

I don't know how to get the board to fire that transistor instead of the sound board.

Without writing new code for the game.....is there anyway to make the chimes sound in connection with scoring switches on the playfield?

I've read a couple of other threads on this topic. I have read http://www.pinrepair.com/sys1/index.htm#list on Gottlieb system 1 games. Chimes can be directly substituted. I'm assuming this is because the retained the code for the chimes in the mpu? Others have said that early Game Plan machines can be converted to chimes, but I'm not sure if mine is too late.

Thanks for any help.

#2 4 years ago

Gottlieb system 1 is able to do this because they use the same transistors to activate the sound input as the chimes, in the same way.

You're going to have to reroute whatever signals go to the sound board to the solenoid driving inputs instead - if that means figuring out where the signals go and swapping them to the transistors via hardware or via software is going to depend on your expertise with either method, and with if multiple signals at the same time are utilized.

I took a very quick look at the sound board parts list and it seems like the sound board is semi-smart with a processor and timers, and looks like a pretty wide input (i.e. more than 4 only) so hardware is probably out of the question. Software would be easier.

#3 4 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

Software would be easier.

I'm coming to the same conclusion. I appreciate the input.

#4 4 years ago

Watched a couple videos (including yours) of gameplay of both SS and SS2 - unless all the stuff is scoring different things, it's def. doing more than just activating a single sound for each score level (10, 100, 1k, maybe 10k) like an EM/early SS would - couple of different sound effects for some things.

Some of the sounds seem to be ok, but some of them are god awful. No wonder you want to change the sounds!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 16.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine

$ 98.99
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/game-plan-sharpshooter-ii-convert-sound-to-chimes and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.