• Latest reply 4 years ago by mstire
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

c-8230-l_c-8230-r (resized).jpg

#1 4 years ago

I just picked up this Sharpshooter 2 project and have most of the bugs worked out. The flipper assemblies are a mess though. There are no two parts alike between the 2 besides the base plates. The coils are dead, one EOS is just a play field switch the other is in bad shape, different coil stops etc.

Pinball Life sells complete assemblies ( https://www.pinballlife.com/full-flipper-assembly-for-williams-machines-from-021980-to-081983.html )

Has anyone converted to these? Will my voltage be compatible? It has 2 coils available, how do I know which one to pick? Will they be strong enough?

This just seems like the right way to go with replacement parts being readily available.

c-8230-l_c-8230-r (resized).jpgc-8230-l_c-8230-r (resized).jpg
#2 4 years ago

If you're going to dump the original parts at least go with a flipper replacement that has the same profile on the flipper bat itself like a Bally or Classic Stern.

#4 4 years ago

Are you saying this would be a better choice? https://www.pinballlife.com/full-flipper-assembly-for-classic-stern-machines-031980-to-021982.html

This one has multiple coil choices as well. How do I know which one would be best for my machine?

#5 4 years ago

The -500 coil should be fine for sharpshooter 2, it's fine for most of the stern machines as well (some people really like the hotter 475 and 450's but for single level games not needed)

#6 4 years ago

Thanks Slochar.
This helps a lot. The 500 coil sounds like the right choice. My research tells me the original Game Plan coils were pretty lively which led to broken drop targets common on the Sharpshooter games.

Pinball Life lists a J-25-500 and a J-26-500. What's the difference and which one is the better choice?

#7 4 years ago

In comparing classic Stearn and Game plan schematics it looks like Stearn supplies 43 VDC to their flipper coils and Game Plan is 24 VDC.

What options do I have?

#8 4 years ago

The PinWiki link above references the following Marcos link for a GamePlan flipper coil:
https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/21-50008

Marcos lists it as a 22-375/30-800 flipper coil (24 volts)

#9 4 years ago

Thanks Quench.
Maybe Terry at Pinball Life will let me buy the assembly without the coil. I don't see a compatible coil on their site.

#10 4 years ago

Having a Sharp Shooter II with original mechs, I can say no other game shoots like it. One of the most responsive flippers in a game of that era in my opinion. There are a lot of trashed Game Plan games out there the parts can be found.

#12 4 years ago

The classic Stern mech you linked is the best option. However, I agree with Quench you want the Game Plan flipper coil for sure over any of the other choices as they may feel too weak.

The Gottlieb A-17875 is a very close alternative. All you would need to do is change the diode configuration and determine which terminals to solder the wires onto since it is wound differently than a Game Plan coil.

#13 4 years ago

Thanks for everyone's help. I went ahead and ordered the set that was on Ebay. Thanks for the lead Funky

Included complete right and left flipper assemblies, one complete pop bumper assembly and a coil for the drop targets. $75.00 / free shipping.

They looked pretty good in the photo so I'm hoping they will work out for me.

#14 4 years ago

I usually try to keep things as original as possible, but personally, I would have passed on the used mechs. The photos don't show the condition of coil stops or plungers. You would've been better served putting that money towards the classic stern replacement mechs with brand new parts.

#15 4 years ago
Quoted from mstire:

I just picked up this Sharpshooter 2 project and have most of the bugs worked out. The flipper assemblies are a mess though. There are no two parts alike between the 2 besides the base plates. The coils are dead, one EOS is just a play field switch the other is in bad shape, different coil stops etc.
Pinball Life sells complete assemblies ( https://www.pinballlife.com/full-flipper-assembly-for-williams-machines-from-021980-to-081983.html )
Has anyone converted to these? Will my voltage be compatible? It has 2 coils available, how do I know which one to pick? Will they be strong enough?
This just seems like the right way to go with replacement parts being readily available.[quoted image]

For future reference you could have used that Williams assembly (if it physcially fit under the pf, the plate is probably bigger than the stock gameplan bracket, the stern and bally brackets look to have the proper footprint but you would have to use the original game plan coils or some other 25V ones).
Back to the Williams ones You would use the 400 wind coil for a 25V game and the 600 wind coil on a 50V flipper game.
(really though you'd want to order this one with replacable coil stops and just ask PBL to supply the older 25V coil with it instead. https://www.pinballlife.com/full-flipper-assembly-for-williamsbally-machines-from-021984-to-011987.html) Also you could swap out the flipper bats to modern fat ones if desired.

Classic Bally and Stern flipper coils only work well in classic Bally and Stern games with 43V coils. unfortunately lots of the older repair guides online mention substituting Bally coils in the off-brand games but no one else used that voltage, nearly every other brand on the market back then used 24-30V coils. Williams switched from 25V to 50V starting with Lasercue.

#16 4 years ago

Thanks kbliznick. This is great information.

Knowing this I may still go this route and re list the Ebay set. Just depends on how they look when I get them.

Having brand new, dependable assemblies with readily available parts is pretty appealing.

I think there's plenty of room for the Williams set but would get measurements to ensure a good fit.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 98.99
Boards
PinballReplacementParts
Boards
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball
Toys/Add-ons
Cabinet Parts
Rocket City Pinball
Cabinet parts
$ 16.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine
Magazines/books
$ 129.99
Boards
PinballReplacementParts
Boards
$ 5.00
Tools
Pinball Mod Co.
Tools
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
Electronics
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/game-plan-sharpshooter-2-flipper-assy-substitute?hl=quench and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.