(Topic ID: 97248)

Game Plan pinball owners and future owners... !MUST READ!

By mrobertso2

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

front.jpg
20150212_170450.jpg
20150212_165822.jpg
20150212_165806.jpg
7drHiqr.gif
There are 80 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 9 years ago

All, I spoke with Jim Francesangeli today at Echo Lake Pinball this morning. First, he's a great guy and really cares a lot about the hobby. I have basically begged him to do another run of mpu-2 boards for Game Plan pinballs. These are state of the art boards and a lot of time was spent in making them. He has agreed to do another run if we can get at least15-20 people to commit to purchase; maybe with a small deposit but most likely if enough people sign up he won't ask for one. I'm on the list as well as one other person. If you are remotely interested in a new MPU please contact him asap, via phone:
330-278-2228 or email:
[email protected]
He is activly waiting to see how many people want a new board.

#2 9 years ago

Great Boards! I have one in my Sharpshooter. Buy without hesitation.

#3 9 years ago

I have used 2 of these boards before and they work great. Most GP games boards are so eat up by the battery that they are hard to repair. What was the cost as I may pick up a spare one?

#4 9 years ago

Do these boards work in the cocktail tables, or only in the full sized ones? Ballpark on price?

#5 9 years ago

I want in...I just emailed Jim...Thanks for the heads up!

#6 9 years ago

Can he remake Loch Ness Monster as well?

#7 9 years ago
Quoted from drsfmd:

Do these boards work in the cocktail tables, or only in the full sized ones? Ballpark on price?

I believe the cocktails were mpu 1 and the mpu 2 is backward compatible , so yes!

#8 9 years ago
Quoted from eggbert52:

Can he remake Loch Ness Monster as well?

Great call! That looks like such a cool game. I saw when it came up for sale and was tempted until it went for $20,000.

#9 9 years ago

I think Roger Sharpe needs to design another Game Plan pinball....He also needs to be on another backglass as well. After all, he saved pinball! He is on Sharpshooter, Sharpshooter 2, and Cyclopes. Gameplan rules!

#10 9 years ago
Quoted from thepinballworks:

I have used 2 of these boards before and they work great. Most GP games boards are so eat up by the battery that they are hard to repair. What was the cost as I may pick up a spare one?

If we can get to the 15+ , I think he said 265 shipped.

#11 9 years ago

I bought one for my GP Andromeda pin several years ago,
been so long ago but i think i may have even bought a second one
as a back up MPU for some of my Game Plan cocktail pins.
So not really in the market for one, at this time,
but i do endorse the product.
Game Plan put out some great (looking and playing) pins in the day,
very under rated,
Looking for a Lizard and Cyclopes,
if i would find any of those,
then i would be buying another back up MPU board.

#15 9 years ago

I just emailed him about one.

#16 9 years ago

Glad to see people are starting to see this and sign up!

#17 9 years ago

Well I just got a email and I am forth on the list, there is a long way to go.

#18 9 years ago

Im in!

#19 9 years ago

I'm in as well! Jim just replied...I think this will be a great thing for current Game Plan owners as a security blanket for the future.

#21 9 years ago

BUMP
I just got off the phone with Jim this morning. He would like to get 6 more we are currently at 9. Please don't hesitate to contact him. He also said he may chime in here today and comment.

#22 9 years ago

I sent him two separate emails from different accounts and never heard back. I'm in if this is an official place to raise your hand.

#23 9 years ago
Quoted from schudel5:

I sent him two separate emails from different accounts and never heard back. I'm in if this is an official place to raise your hand.

Call him, he answers. He does reply to email. Try the website.

2 weeks later
#24 9 years ago

Ok I just talked to Jim as well tonight. He really would like to get at least 20 people signed up for a rerun of his Game Plan MPU-2 boards. I think he's right at 9 at the moment. His contact information was provided by the OP.

Hopefully we can get enough people on the list so he can make another batch.

1 week later
#25 9 years ago

9 is great, let's keep getting closer and closer to 20.

#26 9 years ago

I just let him know im in, so I guess we are at 10? Will be used for Andramada and Super Nova.

#27 9 years ago

Note: The MPUs are shipped game specific and are not end user changeable to different games -- unless something has changed in the way the MPUs are designed and shipped.

#28 9 years ago
Quoted from ghostbc:

I just let him know im in, so I guess we are at 10? Will be used for Andramada and Super Nova.

Awesome! 10 it is then!

#29 9 years ago
Quoted from minnesota13:

Note: The MPUs are shipped game specific and are not end user changeable to different games -- unless something has changed in the way the MPUs are designed and shipped.

Gameplan MPU is different. I actually just moved my MPU from my Pinball Lizard into my Sharpshooter 2 with no issue. The ROMS are actually on the MSU board which does not suffer battery leakage like the MPU. That is why most Gameplans have such an issue with their MPUs...

#30 9 years ago

Great boards I ordered one 2 years ago works great, Jim is a great guy.

#31 9 years ago
Quoted from minnesota13:

Quoted from ItsOnlyPinball:

Gameplan MPU is different. I actually just moved my MPU from my Pinball Lizard into my Sharpshooter 2 with no issue. The ROMS are actually on the MSU board which does not suffer battery leakage like the MPU. That is why most Gameplans have such an issue with their MPUs...

Many of the GP upright machines use the exact same ROMs at U12 & U13. For example, Sharpshooter, OCI, SS2 and Lizard use identical ROMs at these two ROM positions which deals with booting and basic machine operation. Where they differ is in U26. One of the differences here is in sound selection. Since SS and OCI use essentially the same sound board (SSU2 vs SSU3) U26 is the same for both. Lizard and Sharp Shoooter 2 use the MSU-1 and MSU-2(?) respectively, both CPU-controlled sound boards that are more advanced than what was used in SS & OCI. Lizard and SS2 each use different ROMs at U26.

When he sells you a board, I believe Jim @ Echo Lake combines U12, U13 & U26 into a single 2764 (or larger) ROM with the game-specific code on it. So even though you moved the board from Lizard to SS2 and it works, you are most likely not getting the correct sounds playing during the game. The ROMs on the MSU are for sounds only and have no effect on gameplay per se.

You probably could contact Jim and ask him for a SS2-specific ROM to swap into the MPU to get the correct sounds.

viperrwk

#32 9 years ago

In if I'm not too late

#33 9 years ago
Quoted from Noahs_Arcade:

In if I'm not too late

Nope call Jim and let him know.

#34 9 years ago
Quoted from viperrwk:

Many of the GP upright machines use the exact same ROMs at U12 & U13. For example, Sharpshooter, OCI, SS2 and Lizard use identical ROMs at these two ROM positions which deals with booting and basic machine operation. Where they differ is in U26. One of the differences here is in sound selection. Since SS and OCI use essentially the same sound board (SSU2 vs SSU3) U26 is the same for both. Lizard and Sharp Shoooter 2 use the MSU-1 and MSU-2(?) respectively, both CPU-controlled sound boards that are more advanced than what was used in SS & OCI. Lizard and SS2 each use different ROMs at U26.
When he sells you a board, I believe Jim @ Echo Lake combines U12, U13 & U26 into a single 2764 (or larger) ROM with the game-specific code on it. So even though you moved the board from Lizard to SS2 and it works, you are most likely not getting the correct sounds playing during the game. The ROMs on the MSU are for sounds only and have no effect on gameplay per se.
You probably could contact Jim and ask him for a SS2-specific ROM to swap into the MPU to get the correct sounds.
viperrwk

Thanks Vipperrwk, I love your Game Plan tutorial post that you previously put up as well. Actually, though, I get the SS2 sounds and everything. Only problem I encountered was a little flakiness in the displays that I did not previously get with the Pinball Lizard.
Do you think I should still ask for the SS2-specific Rom? I would most likely use the new board in my SS2 since the previous MPU worked great in the Lizard.

Thanks!

#35 9 years ago
Quoted from ItsOnlyPinball:

Thanks Vipperrwk, I love your Game Plan tutorial post that you previously put up as well. Actually, though, I get the SS2 sounds and everything. Only problem I encountered was a little flakiness in the displays that I did not previously get with the Pinball Lizard.
Do you think I should still ask for the SS2-specific Rom? I would most likely use the new board in my SS2 since the previous MPU worked great in the Lizard.
Thanks!

First, I made a mistake for which I apologize. It turns out that Lizard uses the same three ROMs as OCI and Sharpshooter. The checksum at U26 is the same for all three - 1C21 (was looking at the wrong file yesterday.)

I had a MPU-2 board from a Sharpshooter that had the U26 from a Sharp Shooter 2 installed. It worked but sounds were not quite right. I also tried the U26 from Sharpshooter in the emulator for SS2. Again, it worked, but it wasn't quite right.

It is possible that you had the wrong ROM installed in your Sharp Shooter 2 so when you swapped boards, everything seemed normal.

if you have the original masked ROM, the U26 for Lizard should have P/N 26-30022 on it. I do not know what the P/N is for U26 in SS2 but the checksum is 2CA3. By comparison, the checksum for 26-30022N is 1C21.

Going by this, the ROM set on IPDB for Sharp Shooter 2 is wrong. It has the U26 from SS/OCI/Lizard in there.

It would be best to ask Jim which images he uses for each game and what are the checksums for the ROMs he combines for his boards. If he says they are the same between SS2 and Lizard, then I think he's not using the correct U26.

viperrwk

#36 9 years ago

Cool, sounds great Viper! Thanks for your help and long live Game Plan!!!

1 month later
#37 9 years ago

I am going to look at a FL cocktail today which is not functional and has acid damage. I understand that the MPU-2 is backwards compatible with the MPU-1 pcb. If this is accurate then I will also need on.

If this is incorrect please let me know otherwise I will call Jim by tomorrow to confirm my order as well.

#38 9 years ago

Yes, the Echo Lake board will work with all GP machines. Just need to tell Jim which ROMs you need in the board.

viperrwk

#39 9 years ago

I believe he is at 12 now

#40 9 years ago

I have sent him an email. Would like an new MPU for Andromeda.

3 weeks later
#41 9 years ago

Guess that is 13, then? Getting closer...

#42 9 years ago

i don't understand why a parts reseller wouldn't pick up the slack on the rest. people are looking for these fairly regularly

#43 9 years ago

Jim has always provided these to people who need them thus his build on demand model. I don't know if he would provide a volume discount for someone but even if he did why would someone tie up money in inventory that is slow selling? Jim has stated the product is reaching maturity and demand has fallen off. If he gets enough orders this may very well be his last run for a very long time. There are only so many GP machines out there. Hell, there are probably more TAF out there than GP's entire production, cocktail and upright.

viperrwk

2 weeks later
#44 9 years ago

I just emailed and phoned Jim. Picked up a neglected Sharpshooter and it has the MPU battery damage. My mate wants to try to repair the board, I just want to play pinball Save me Jim!

3 weeks later
#45 9 years ago

I'm game for a board when they are available- I have a Coney Island I just picked up that I'd like to get back into playing condition

#46 9 years ago

That's 15 I think.....

#47 9 years ago

just got my e-mail from jim!

7drHiqr.gif7drHiqr.gif
#48 9 years ago
Quoted from mrobertso2:

All, I spoke with Jim Francesangeli today at Echo Lake Pinball this morning. First, he's a great guy and really cares a lot about the hobby. I have basically begged him to do another run of mpu-2 boards for Game Plan pinballs. These are state of the art boards and a lot of time was spent in making them. He has agreed to do another run if we can get at least15-20 people to commit to purchase; maybe with a small deposit but most likely if enough people sign up he won't ask for one. I'm on the list as well as one other person. If you are remotely interested in a new MPU please contact him asap, via phone:
330-278-2228 or email:
[email protected]
He is activly waiting to see how many people want a new board.

I have used 2 of them so far and they are awesome. Lets hope for another run and my order is up!!

#49 9 years ago

Same here! Great news!

#50 9 years ago

i think i'm going to buy 2 or 3. i know there aren't many machines out there, but someone ALWAYS asks about these boards

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 129.99
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 16.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 80 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/game-plan-pinball-owners-and-future-owners-must-read/page/1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.