Screenshot_20231101-194514 (resized).png
IMG_3632 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3612 (resized).jpeg
kemet_ceramic_capacitor_part_numbers.jpg
IMG_2431 (resized).jpg
IMG_6396.jpeg
IMG_3386 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3388 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider gdonovan.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#430 3 years ago
Quoted from frunch:

I've had a persistent problem with the memory on my Sharpshooter, seems to lose its high scores and displays a bunch of garbled stuff on the score displays when showing the high score. Resetting the high score and zeroing out all the settings straightens it all out, but after leaving the game off for a while, it inevitably loses its memory and needs to be reset to display proper high scores. Everything else works fine, and I've lived with the issue for a while since it never really bothered me. I'm getting ready to set it up at a buddies place and decided to fix the memory problem first since it's gonna be their only game there (for now... ) any advice?
The mpu on this game has been serviced by the coin op cauldron, and a memory cap was installed. I've tried different 5101 ram chips but for some reason the game will only work with the ram chips that it came installed with. I might have to reach out to the coin op cauldron to get this sorted, but thought I'd ask here in case anyone has any suggestions to run down first. Thanks!

Been my experience that memory caps don't last long, can you try a battery pack to test? Garbled display high score not unusual for a dead or missing battery, noted that on a friends Lizard I did repair work on.

9 months later
#453 3 years ago
Quoted from Robotworkshop:

Just keep the new one off the board! Your best option is probably a remote battery holder using 3 AA non rechargeable batteries with a 1n5817 diode inline to prevent them from charging. That is a common option used on Gottlieb, early Bally, and Stern that used rechargeable batteries originally.

I use cordless phone batteries myself time to time on a remote wire.

6 months later
#546 2 years ago
Quoted from frunch:

Many thanks!!! I didn't realize viperrwk put out videos for these repairs too--that video was sooooo helpful! Pretty neat the way these boards work. I'm guessing at this point either a bad volume pot or a problem with one of the amp chips. I replaced the amp chips a while back, but I'll have to double check my work on them.
Also--it appears we have an 8 ohm speaker installed in the game, should I plan on swapping it out for a 4 ohm? It's worked fine with the 8 ohm up till now, but I'll swap it out if it's possibly causing any trouble.
I'll post back when I get a chance to troubleshoot the board and share my results.
Thanks again--that video was extremely helpful!

I rebuilt a board for Lizard, both amp chips were dead.

6 months later
#735 1 year ago
Quoted from SteveF-Detroit:

original as far as i know

They are Data East targets, the width is a dead giveaway.

6 months later
#861 1 year ago
Quoted from desertT1:

I am considering it, as even off the game the memory caps are depleting faster than I would have thought. I’d like to see if there is a reason why my MPU is draining the battery that came with the game (not original) and these caps in case it can clear up any issues I don’t yet know about.

Can you remove various IC in the circuit till the draw drops off? I'm assuming they are sockected.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 16.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine

$ 19.98
Playfield - Other
Bob's Pinball Stuff

$ 179.99
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider gdonovan.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/game-plan-owners-club-sharpshooters-welcome?tu=gdonovan and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.