Screenshot_20231101-194514 (resized).png
IMG_3632 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3612 (resized).jpeg
kemet_ceramic_capacitor_part_numbers.jpg
IMG_2431 (resized).jpg
IMG_6396.jpeg
IMG_3386 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3388 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider desertT1.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#722 1 year ago

Hello Game Plan group. I was recently sent a link to this thread, but had already started one for the lighting issue I’m having on my SS II. If you wouldn’t mind taking a look and seeing if you have some ideas I would appreciate it. After that gets resolved, I’ll bring the rest of my problems here from then on. Only slightly kidding.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sharp-shooter-ii-all-insert-lighting-is-out#post-6952281

If this selection of drop targets is any indication, I could still uncover a few interesting odds and ends.

3A9A8FC3-A9AB-4BC5-B340-B7331B62D3F2 (resized).jpeg3A9A8FC3-A9AB-4BC5-B340-B7331B62D3F2 (resized).jpeg
2 weeks later
#746 1 year ago
Quoted from MrBigg:

This machine was in a collapsing warehouse for 20+ years, but I have tested the connectors, and the pins, and they are all OK. As stated above, I individually fired each bulb from the connectors with 6.3 volts to check bulbs, sockets, ground, etc, and all came on. I'll do a test on each scr next, and be looking for another board as well. I found a guy sitting g on about 4 of the coffee table pins, and they are in similar shape. Hope I can get him to come off at least 1 or 2. Very tough dealing with elderly hoaders

I think we are in similar situations. None of my controlled lighting in the playfield is working. I am getting power from the braid just fine, can ground the tabs for the light sockets and make them work, and have voltage at each of the drivers on the light board. So power is getting all the way back to the light board. I am down to thinking either the chips on the light board are bad, or the signal from the MPU isn’t coming through.

Would all of the chips be bad?

Is there a ROM just for lights, or is that on a ROM on the MPU with other code? The rest of the game plays normal.

If all of that is fine, then maybe it’s a connection from MPU to light board. Have looked at that a little, but haven’t gotten very far. That was where I stopped the last time I was poking around.

#748 1 year ago
Quoted from Robotworkshop:

Have you recently pulled apart the connectors at the head? Those pins are known to corrode. I have to clean up pins there on one of my own games

Pins returning from the lights, or getting data from the MPU? Typically anyway.

#751 1 year ago
Quoted from MrBigg:

Yes that's my problem as well. As stated, all my pins are good, all my lights are good, and all my grounds, and sockets are good. I found another old light card on ebay, and ordered it. Scrs will ne my next check, but just seems odd that every single light on 2 different connectors, j6 and j8 won't fire only on the special lighting, and everything else works just fine? Including all the other lighting. Is it possible the LED swap could be causing this? desertT1 did you swap to LED or are domyou still have old bulbs installed?

Mine is still all incandescent bulbs. I grounded a few and they light up, so it’s not a situation where 100% are burned out.

1 week later
#762 1 year ago
Quoted from the9gman:

relay is not used in Coney Island or Sharpshooter only used in cyclops and some other game which I can't remember ...that plug is not use in coney island either....again if I had to guess I would say one or more of your strobe signals is missing or shorted to ground by a bad diode .....each strobe controls a bank of lights when I put together my new cpu I screwed up strobe 3 and lost SH in shooter (drop targets) and the bonus rollovers . I would check the bad lights to see if the strobe is there ....if its not then you have to trace it back to where you find it[quoted image]

Can you elaborate on the strobe from the MPU a little bit? What did you do and what did you check, and then how did you resolve that? I’d love to check my SSII against what you did.

#766 1 year ago
Quoted from the9gman:

sorry, that same section on your SSII schematic will show you what strobes and returns will affect what lights and scoring functions

Cool info. Hopefully I’ll get to dig into it in the next few days with my o-scope wielding friend so all this info will help as we poke and prod.

Listening to the latest Silverball Chronicles episode they mentioned doing a Gameplan episode at some point, so that’ll be cool.

#771 1 year ago

What size legs are these games meant to have? My game came with a pair of 28.5” and a pair of 31”. With the levelers all the way in it makes it about 7*.

While we are at it, are these the right flipper coils? At the 7* my game is at these still feel a little strong. Spinner tips are nice but shots to the saucer bounce out more than they sit.

95D61B34-BE30-4088-9DAC-D113BEE25843 (resized).jpeg95D61B34-BE30-4088-9DAC-D113BEE25843 (resized).jpeg
#777 1 year ago

What game do you have? I think most use a 21-50002B coil for the flippers. Not sure what that coil is currently on your game. You can get the correct coils from pbresource.com
My Sharpshooter uses the standard 28.5" legs all around. I haven't head of any using different length legs on the front and back. Only machine I know that does that is a Gottlieb Haunted House but there are probably others.

The coils in my game are a Williams part number. I think a list of System 6ish games came up when I found the part number. I’ll order the right coils and see what happens. With my 7* slope thanks to the long back legs the ball is flying all over the place and one plastic guide is broken. More will follow if things stay as they are.

Sharpshooter 2 by the way, since I don’t think I mentioned that.

#782 1 year ago

What's tje situation as far as adding LEDs to inserts, specifically Sharpshooter II? Are they good to go, or do they need resistors or Yoppcycles?

#785 1 year ago

Any tips and tricks to prevent this? I can do it on both sides if I trap up and let the flipper drop. Game is at 5* currently.

5E8EB0EB-4103-4098-A3AF-AC7FBF66879D (resized).jpeg5E8EB0EB-4103-4098-A3AF-AC7FBF66879D (resized).jpeg
1 week later
#786 1 year ago

This started happening recently. No idea what is causing it and power cycling it will make it go away, but only for a random short period of time. Thoughts?

2 weeks later
#793 1 year ago

Is there a kit or a list of all the caps I should replace in the sound board of a SSII?

#795 1 year ago

What is the problem you are trying to solve?

It will do this after a random amount of time. Sometimes it is 5 minutes, sometimes it’s 45 minutes.

#797 1 year ago

When that occurs can you unplug the connector on the MPU board going to the sound card? At least that will confirm that the MPU isn't trying to send it something.
That is an odd issue. I went through and re-capped my SS2 sound board but I had a different issue. Was trying to resolve an annoying hum. Ended up popping out the three pins going to the volume control in the cabinet and then used a new volume control pot on short 2" wires right at the sound card. Eliminated all the annoying hum. You may want to try something similar first in case it is picking up noise from the volume control like mine was.

I put the sound board back in and had it on and playing for hours today. The beeping didn’t happen in all that time, so maybe it was a connector with a bad connection and reseating it did the trick. Will pull the connector to the MPU if it happens again and see what that does.

2 months later
#814 1 year ago

Can we do NVRAM on these? My battery was moved off the board and now seems to not take a charge. Would rather NVRAM if possible and eliminate the battery.

4 weeks later
#823 1 year ago

SSII. Does it need the battery to be on coin play? My battery is not original and is remote, and won’t hold a charge. When I got the game it was starting with 99 credits and alternating between 0000000 and blank score displays, so no high score in memory.

I am trying to take it off free play and the manual says dip 8 being set to off does this. This is dip switch 8, right? It’s off and when I power up it is still coming up with 99 credits. Actually the credits window is blank until you press start, then it starts a game and shows 98 credits left.

Am I doing something wrong, or needing to do something else to turn off free play?

Also, I have some pretty noticeable speaker hum when the displays are lit. When you power it up and the displays blank out because there is no memory of a high score it is noticeably buzzing when those go lit and off.

Another weird thing was after a game, you would assume that would be high score, but in attract mode it acts as if there is no high score yet. Is this still a battery thing, or a dip switch needing to be on to use a high score?

The game is rocking and I’m ready for it to be in location, just have to learn these last few things, so any tips would be appreciated.

C9227490-5BB4-4E95-B625-2B570B46A9DB (resized).jpegC9227490-5BB4-4E95-B625-2B570B46A9DB (resized).jpeg
#825 1 year ago

If you don’t have a battery or memory cap then the contents of RAM will be random. You can cycle through them with the upper switch on the coin door. To reset whatever is shown to defaults press the button on the MPU or on Sharpshooter II you could instead use the lower button on the coin door.

Ok, the memory caps will be here in a few days. I will put that in and see what weird stuff it clears up.

#834 1 year ago

Woot woot! I got my memory caps in and put one in SS2. Doing that and letting it charge for a while and power cycling it did not turn it off free play, not remember that it needs to record a high score, instead of just flashing 00. That was a bummer. Next I pressed the red SW 33 and that fixed everything. It is set on 1 credit per coin, so I will have to change that, but this was a big step.

Anyone have pointers to reduce the buzzing from the speaker in attract mode when it turns the displays off and on? When they are off it’s fine but when they are on there is a pretty noticeable buzz. I don’t need it gone, but if I can reduce it a little I’d like to. Thanks.

#839 1 year ago

On the SS2 the only way to really eliminate the buzzing noise seems to be relocate the volume control pot. The way they ran it all the way to the front of teh cabinet pickup a lot of noise. Very annoying. I had completely recapped the sound board and checked other sources for noise. Even so far as powering the board with an inline 12V supply similar to what fixes the Data East sound board buzzing. Not much of an improvement. I had a spare control pot that matched the one in the cabinet so I popped out the three pins from the original remote volume conrtol and put a piece of heat shrink on those to keep out of the way. Then with three very short wires crimped a new pin on each and soldered the other end to the control pot. Less than 2" from the board now. After doing that all the annoying buzzing was gone.

Whoa, great info. I don’t have a pot to do that with but I will put it on the list and give it a go down the road.

Quoted from RonSS:

Frunch, I think you bought my Sharpshooter. I agree, a nice shooter! I've got another playfield I'm itching to arduino up, but need a cab for it.
Never enough projects!
DesertT1: way to go!

Thanks. I really like this layout and this game and I’m sure it will be enjoyed at my location. The biggest location in town that has closed had an SS1 several years ago and I loved playing this quirky layout.

#844 1 year ago

Wellllllll shoot. Just turned on SS2 after being off for a few days with the memory cap installed. The game went back to free play mode and had no high score stored. I left it on for a few hours so I would imagine the cap was getting charged. Maybe not enough? I will check voltage when I turn it off and then again tomorrow. What do I need, 3V going to a pin of a RAM chip for it to keep settings? I’ll see if I can find that pin in the manual.

#847 1 year ago

Here is my memory cap after letting it charge up for a while. As soon as I power the game off the cap starts to drop very quickly. It’s been off for a while and it just dropped below 1.5v and still going.

#849 1 year ago
Quoted from Mad_Dog_Coin_Op:

What are the specs on that memory capacitor? I can go 6 months on my game without dropping below 3 volts.

5.5v 1.5F. I was reading that 1F was on the lower side of things but should still hold for a month or two.

#851 1 year ago

The capacitor timings are often based on boards using the 5101, 6116, or 6264 type SRAM. Usually getting the lower power versions of those is best. Haven't checked the draw but the RAM chips on the original Gameplan board probably take more current than those.
If it is dropping too quickly then you may want to check the diodes in that area. If bad, missing, or jumpered over then your memory cap may be trying to power other logic chips too.

Should I be looking at a single diode, one per chip, or might there be several?

#853 1 year ago

There are two 1N4148 diodes near where the battery would have been. Those would be for charging it and ensuring that it powers the RAM and one of the gates. Also check to see if U9 is a 74C32 chip. That has to be a CMOS chip or it may cause issues discharging. quickly. If someoue put an LS chip there then bad news.

U9 is a 74C32, so that’s good news.

Are these the two diodes? I can’t find a layout drawing to confirm, but they fit the bill. They are both measuring .600 one way and then .700ish the other way. I’m sure it’s best to have one leg removed, but wondering if that’s required in this case.

#854 1 year ago
Quoted from desertT1:

U9 is a 74C32, so that’s good news.
Are these the two diodes? I can’t find a layout drawing to confirm, but they fit the bill. They are both measuring .600 one way and then .700ish the other way. I’m sure it’s best to have one leg removed, but wondering if that’s required in this case.

Removed one leg of both diodes and both check out fine. It might be as easy as the cap is bad. I have a few others so I guess I’ll swap it out and see if that’s any different.

#855 1 year ago

Two more tests to report. I had two different caps charging off the game and got them up to 5v and then turned off the game and unplugged things from the MPU to see if the cap would slow down on the discharging. Spoiler, it was still dropping fast with all connectors removed. Something on the board is doing the draining.

Last test was to charge up one of the caps again with the boards and then remove both connections of the cap to the board. It might not matter, but I did the - side first and it started dropping fast. I did the + side as fast as I could and then it slammed on the brakes. It went from 5 to 4.5 in the time that it took me to remove the second wire and now after maybe 30 minutes or more has gone from sub-4.5 to 4.331v. With the meter on it it will slowly drop and I have been turning it off in between checks.

#857 1 year ago

Odd question but does the 74C32 look like it was replaced? If so I wonder if it is a real 74C32. Unfortunately there are lots of fake and remarked IC's that may be similar but not the correct chip.
Can you post pictures of that area of the board with the memory chips too?

U9 looks original based on the way the solder looks. Very uniform, not done with an iron. Are 6, 7, and 8 normally socketed? Mine has sockets and the socket overhangs the through holes enough that I can’t tell without removing the board again.

A77ED171-9539-4B46-BA92-3147E7D451DC (resized).jpegA77ED171-9539-4B46-BA92-3147E7D451DC (resized).jpeg
#860 1 year ago
Quoted from Mthomasslo:

desertT1 Have you considered using my NVRAM (see post #815, 37 days ago in this thread)? Plug it in, remove the super cap and you're set

I am considering it, as even off the game the memory caps are depleting faster than I would have thought. I’d like to see if there is a reason why my MPU is draining the battery that came with the game (not original) and these caps in case it can clear up any issues I don’t yet know about.

2 months later
#874 1 year ago
Quoted from Ilikewires:

Greetings Game Plan fanatics.. last year I bought the gameplanpinball.com web site from Brady, shout out to him.
I have been making some changes to the site.
I added more info under the machines page.
I added a documents page, where I am scanning and linking schematics and manuals (big work in progress, one page at a time).
And I added detailed info on ROMs. I will also add the combined (27C64, 27C128) ROM images so that they work in the MPU-3.
Full disclosure, I am the same fellow that makes the new MPU board.
As for new boards, the LDU replacement has been a pain, it just will not work with LEDs. It may never.
And the SDU board is in test, the MOSFETs that I chose did not have a low enough on resistance.
A PSU board exists, as well as both 6 and 7 digit displays, but they are not in test yet.
And very early work is being done on sound boards.. I plan to make one core that plays sounds, and then make a board for each of the sound boards that it fits onto.
I am interested in any comments or suggestions on the site.. please feel free to browse it and comment back. I am particularly interested in whether folks want mostly repair and parts info, or if the site should lean towards interviews and artwork.

Very cool, I did not once that site existed. The blue bar along the left makes it pretty hard to see things on a phone, but will try on a computer later.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Reno, NV
$ 19.98
$ 16.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 129.99
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider desertT1.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/game-plan-owners-club-sharpshooters-welcome?tu=desertT1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.