4345A159-120C-4F92-B47A-033291773F20.jpeg
3D2F912D-2D4B-4DC8-9950-41929B662FFC (resized).jpeg
D0346396-10B9-4F0D-8ACA-3B476C64DA7D (resized).jpeg
IMG_2132 (resized).JPG
IMG_2129 (resized).JPG
20211119_080355 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20211118-192217_Chrome (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20211118-165446_Chrome (resized).jpg

There are 607 posts in this topic. You are on page 12 of 13.
#551 17 days ago
Quoted from 72Devilz:

I use a higher end unit now for work but I used to have one like this and it is affordable and it served me well. amazon.com link »

That's cool! Might have to add one to my Christmas list.

Go figure, after all this the sound magically started working again.

Of course, now we're having intermittent problems with the playfield switch connector on the MPU. I replaced the headers and female connectors but this board is very fussy about accepting new solder. I'm hoping someone comes along with a replacement MPU, but I'll see what I can do in the meantime.

For now, I have to assume the sound problem is/was a connector issue and I'll treat it as such until further notice. If the problem comes back I'll know what else to try too. I'll post back with any updates.

Thanks again everyone for all the guidance and info!

1 week later
#552 10 days ago

Have an opportunity to grab this tomorrow. Owner describes it as needing a little electrical work and a good cleaning. Wants $300. Would you buy? Anything I should know when I check it out? I know to check the MPU and battery.

Thank you!

received_416333866634432 (resized).jpegreceived_616768196346012 (resized).jpeg
#553 10 days ago
Quoted from petrieslastword:

Have an opportunity to grab this tomorrow. Owner describes it as needing a little electrical work and a good cleaning. Wants $300. Would you buy? Anything I should know when I check it out? I know to check the MPU and battery.
Thank you!
[quoted image][quoted image]

Yes! No need to ask. Go get it. For $300 I would already be headed there to pick it up. The backglass looks good and the playfield looks like it will clean up. Everything else can be fixed and upgraded.

Sharpshooter is a good game. I got a pair of non working Sharpshooter machines and have them both cleaned up and running, Both play and shoot well. One of them I'm using as a test fixture to test repairs. I'm working on a couple MPU boards now for others and am developing an alternative MPU with enhancements for Sharpshooter..

There is help here and also good reference material on pinwiki.com in the Gameplan section.

#554 10 days ago
Quoted from Robotworkshop:

Yes! No need to ask. Go get it. For $300 I would already be headed there to pick it up. The backglass looks good and the playfield looks like it will clean up. Everything else can be fixed and upgraded.
Sharpshooter is a good game. I got a pair of non working Sharpshooter machines and have them both cleaned up and running, Both play and shoot well. One of them I'm using as a test fixture to test repairs. I'm working on a couple MPU boards now for others and am developing an alternative MPU with enhancements for Sharpshooter..
There is help here and also good reference material on pinwiki.com in the Gameplan section.

I'd have already grabbed it but the guy wasn't at the house with it tonight. It's 2 minutes from my house.

Figured I'd find out what to check out here and if there's anything else to worry about, supposed to grab it tomorrow night.

My initial Google search showed that people weren't producing the MPU anymore, so that made me a bit concerned. Good to know there's actually effort going into these, It does look like a fun machine!

#555 10 days ago

Definitely go for it--sharpshooter is a surprisingly fun game! I would have kept mine but I ran out of space for games. Happily, my buddy down the street owns it now and it gets played constantly. Even "non-pinball-people" have been loving Sharpshooter! At $300 it really is a no-brainer. Good luck!

#556 10 days ago

I'd have already grabbed it but the guy wasn't at the house with it tonight. It's 2 minutes from my house.
Figured I'd find out what to check out here and if there's anything else to worry about, supposed to grab it tomorrow night.
My initial Google search showed that people weren't producing the MPU anymore, so that made me a bit concerned. Good to know there's actually effort going into these, It does look like a fun machine!

If the battery damage isn’t too bad the MPU can be repaired. I typically replace all the green ceramic caps, damaged header connectors, and DIP sockets to start. Repairs on the other boards are pretty straight forward.

There are a couple people working on replacement MPU based on the Z-80 like the original board. I am working on a board as well but one that is and alternative replacement with upgraded features, background music, and additional sounds. Making good progress on that but still need to wire up the original displays and work on the code for that. The initial board is a hand built using one of the Gameplan MPU proto boards pictured.

94591A20-EC78-4125-93BE-3D0B0A74ABE9 (resized).jpeg
#557 10 days ago

Even if the MPU is "totally wrecked" it can be repaired by someone with time and a steady hand. It might not make sense commercially as it's often twenty or thirty hours of work, but anything can be fixed.

Never throw one out... and if anyone is planning to throw one out, get in touch with me and I'll send you the postage. Give it to me so we can save more Game Plan machines from the trash by working together. Until there's a replacement MPU that is reliably available commercially, every board needs to be saved.

#559 10 days ago
Quoted from semicolin:

Even if the MPU is "totally wrecked" it can be repaired by someone with time and a steady hand. It might not make sense commercially as it's often twenty or thirty hours of work, but anything can be fixed.
Never throw one out... and if anyone is planning to throw one out, get in touch with me and I'll send you the postage. Give it to me so we can save more Game Plan machines from the trash by working together. Until there's a replacement MPU that is reliably available commercially, every board needs to be saved.

I totally second that! Even if it is just to two odd 22-pin RAM chips. There are useful components that could help save other boards if nothing else.

#560 10 days ago

FYI, I am selling my stockpile of GamePlan boards & parts. Sorry, no MPUs--those we're the first things to sell out.

https://pinside.com/pinball/community/pinsiders/forceflow/market

I'll be listing more soon.

#561 10 days ago

I'm hoping someday someone might make Andromeda playfields/backglasses. I'd love to do a scratch build the way some are doing for classic Sterns.

#562 10 days ago

Wanted to share some images of the machine I just picked up. The guy couldn't find the legs so he gave it to me for $200. I assume it's worth that for parts alone.

It turns on but as of now that's all I can say. Can't get it to actually start a game and this is a brand new one to me so I'm going to have to do some digging. Appreciate any advice on where to start troubleshooting though.

I'm not seeing the batteries everyone's talking about, where am I looking?

20211118_182746 (resized).jpg20211118_182752 (resized).jpg20211118_182756 (resized).jpg20211118_183954 (resized).jpg20211118_184016 (resized).jpg20211118_184020 (resized).jpg20211118_184151 (resized).jpg
#563 10 days ago

Wanted to share some images of the machine I just picked up. The guy couldn't find the legs so he gave it to me for $200. I assume it's worth that for parts alone.
It turns on but as of now that's all I can say. Can't get it to actually start a game and this is a brand new one to me so I'm going to have to do some digging. Appreciate any advice on where to start troubleshooting though.
I'm not seeing the batteries everyone's talking about, where am I looking?[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Screenshot_20211118-165446_Chrome (resized).jpg Turn in on and see how many flashes you see on the mpu during machine boot up. You should get 6 if the board is good.

#564 9 days ago

I'm not seeing the batteries everyone's talking about, where am I looking?[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

For the legs I bought a new set of these:

https://www.pinballlife.com/williamsbally-chocolate-burgundy-legs-set-of-4.html

Used black bolts (with black plastic washers to protect the legs), plastic leg protectors for cabinet, and black leg levelers. They look great on the game.

#565 9 days ago

That MPU can be saved but it will need work. They appears to be a bunch of corrosion around the 74C32 chip in the lower left of the board for starters.

#566 9 days ago
Quoted from Captainhook:

[quoted image] Turn in on and see how many flashes you see on the mpu during machine boot up. You should get 6 if the board is good.

I am getting six flashes. The machine is taking coins and giving the credit noise when they're inserted.

At one point it started a game for a minute but then rebooted after I hit the flippers a few times. The right flipper appears to have an issue and after taking it apart and looking at it the plastic insert inside the coil has some damage and is jamming. Hopefully parts are still available to rebuild the flippers.

*Edit*

We're making progress. The issue that was causing the machine not to start a game was that the switch that registers the ball in the trough was so bent that the machine just thought there was no ball in it. The game is at least running now, though there's a lot of switches that definitely need adjustment as summer sticking and some just aren't registering. The machine also doesn't seem to be registering when the ball drains and starting a second ball. I know the switch in the trough works now so that can't be the issue with it starting ball 2.

Appreciate the help so much guys.

#567 9 days ago

I would remove the battery ASAP.

Screenshot_20211118-192217_Chrome (resized).jpg
#568 9 days ago
Quoted from Captainhook:

I would remove the battery ASAP.
[quoted image]

Yeah I just need to learn how to safely do so! I've only had to remove AA's until now.

On that note any input on where to get parts for the flipper assembly? If possible I'd do a full rebuild, but really just need the plastic piece that goes inside the coil if that isn't possible.

#569 9 days ago

I'll let somebody else chime in about removing the battery. My MPU was shot so I just cut it off with wire cutters. Plastic piece is a coil sleeve you just need to figure out what size it is.

#570 9 days ago
Quoted from Captainhook:

I'll let somebody else chime in about removing the battery. My MPU was shot so I just cut it off with wire cutters. Plastic piece is a coil sleeve you just need to figure out what size it is.

Yep, it's just digging into the literature at this point to find that size. I really appreciate the help. Not sure if it's safe for me to just cut the battery out so I'll definitely be holding out for more professional advisement.

#571 9 days ago

You can just snip it off

#572 9 days ago
Quoted from jj44114:

You can just snip it off

And done! Thank you.

#573 9 days ago

Congrats on a $200 Sharpshooter.
Absolutely fantastic deal especially in today’s pinsane market!

Speaking of Game Plan, I’m interested in the Lady Sharpshooter cocktail. Allegedly Game Plan made 1200, but only 4 people own one on Pinside.
If anyone knows of one, working or project, please let me know. Shipping isn’t an issue!

#574 9 days ago

Yeah I just need to learn how to safely do so! I've only had to remove AA's until now.
On that note any input on where to get parts for the flipper assembly? If possible I'd do a full rebuild, but really just need the plastic piece that goes inside the coil if that isn't possible.

You can rebuild the flippers with a Classic Stern rebuild kit: https://www.pinballlife.com/classic-stern-flipper-rebuild-kit-left-and-right-flippers.html

If you just want coil sleeves, any standard coil sleeve will work totally fine. https://www.pinballlife.com/1-34-coil-sleeve.html

Vid's guide to rebuilding flippers is very useful: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-upgradingrebuilding-flippers

Here is a great read through on repairing and maintaining Game Plan machines. Please remove that battery TONIGHT. Corrosion is already starting and will need to be mitigated. All the info you need is here: http://www.pinrepair.com/gp/

#575 9 days ago

Making some progress, but I've come up on a hitch. When I turn the machine on it instantly fires a ball into the shooter lane without the game being started. If I launched that ball and let it drain, It doesn't fire it again, but it does do so when I press the button to start the game. When that ball drains however, It does not register the drain and move on to ball 2. Any idea what might cause that?

Also if anyone has or knows anyone who sells this plastic please let me know! I assume I can probably get some kind of plastic protector for under it that will make it so it's not going to change gameplay, so if anyone can recommend a protector that would fit this plastic that would be appreciated as well!

I probably just need to disconnect and clean and reseat everything, but I also want to learn about this machine so understanding the "why".

Thanks everyone!

20211119_080355 (resized).jpg Added 9 days ago:

Issue resolved. The leah switch in the trough was just slightly touching when "open". Bent correctly and now we are a "go". Now to start cleaning and tweaking things.

#576 9 days ago

If you don't own a leaf switch adjustment tool, you should buy one. They allow very precise adjustment of hard to reach leaf switches. If you've ever used needle-nosed pliers to adjust a switch and you try this, you'll never go back. Pliers will feel like you're wearing mittens. https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/77-SWK-B

#577 9 days ago
Quoted from semicolin:

If you don't own a leaf switch adjustment tool, you should buy one. They allow very precise adjustment of hard to reach leaf switches. If you've ever used needle-nosed pliers to adjust a switch and you try this, you'll never go back. Pliers will feel like you're wearing mittens. https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/77-SWK-B

Grabbed one of these per recommendation, appreciate it. I definitely do not have one.

#578 7 days ago

Still no word on replacement MPUs?

#579 7 days ago
Quoted from pb456:

Still in limbo AFAIK. I've seen at least 3 different people make posts with initial steps at creating a new MPU in the last few years, but so far nothing has made it to the finish line.

Ever since I listed gameplan parts for sale, I can't tell you the number of PMs I've gotten from people looking for MPUs. The demand is certainly there. Wish I had some more to sell.

#580 7 days ago

Finally finished my Sharpshooter and yes it is a fun game. The sound effects .....not so much but I have a 16 bit decoder chip and a wave trigger to improve that ....rebuilt all the pop bumpers and they work well but compared to other machines I find them a little cluncky compared to other machines. I am one transistor away from a fully functional machine but that one only controls the O light on one of the drops. I will tell you the paint on the playfield is pretty robust ....had to scrub the crap out of it to get this one clean and then clear coated it

IMG_2129 (resized).JPGIMG_2132 (resized).JPG
#581 7 days ago
Quoted from the9gman:

Finally finished my Sharpshooter and yes it is a fun game. The sound effects .....not so much but I have a 16 bit decoder chip and a wave trigger to improve that ....rebuilt all the pop bumpers and they work well but compared to other machines I find them a little cluncky compared to other machines. I am one transistor away from a fully functional machine but that one only controls the O light on one of the drops. I will tell you the paint on the playfield is pretty robust ....had to scrub the crap out of it to get this one clean and then clear coated it
[quoted image][quoted image]

If you haven't done it already you may want to consider adding 2.2uf caps on the EOS switches and .1 uf caps on the cabinet switches. Seemed to completely eliminate the sparks. I did it on both my games.

#582 7 days ago
Quoted from pb456:

No new ones yet but been busy rebuilding original boards. Both my Sharpshooter machines are running well. Rebuilding one of these as my own spare and two are being rebuilt for others. They have been repopulated and in the debugging phase. Of all the pinball MPU boards these are usually the most time consuming PITA boards to fix. It is more of a labor of love since I’ve got more time in making them right than I would charge for. If just about anything is wrong they won’t run at all because of the watchdog. Often need to disable that. Going to fire up the Fluke 9010a with Z-80 pod to help. At least that help tell if any address or data lines are shorted and can manually test the Ram to see if ok. I will get these fixed.

D0346396-10B9-4F0D-8ACA-3B476C64DA7D (resized).jpeg
#583 6 days ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Still in limbo AFAIK. I've seen at least 3 different people make posts with initial steps at creating a new MPU in the last few years, but so far nothing has made it to the finish line.
Ever since I listed gameplan parts for sale, I can't tell you the number of PMs I've gotten from people looking for MPUs. The demand is certainly there. Wish I had some more to sell.

A couple people are working on mostly original style MPU’s using a Z-80 running original code. I’m working on an upgraded alternative version. At the moment it is hand wired on one of the Gameplan proto boards like the one pictured. The proto board is also useful to make custom test boards for the machine itself. Same form factor and mounting as the MPU-2 board.

I’ve been able to control the lamps, solenoids, and sounds. Working on the switch matrix then can have a playable game. The displays are still an open issue but I bought some 7 digit displays for testing and development.

Hope to set aside time over the holidays to wrap most of it up.

3D2F912D-2D4B-4DC8-9950-41929B662FFC (resized).jpeg
#584 6 days ago
Quoted from Robotworkshop:2.2uf caps on the EOS switches

thanks, will do that I can see how that would extend the life of the switches

#585 4 days ago

Good evening community,

I've been waiting for various replacement parts, and seeing where issues might be, after getting my Sharpshooter up and running for a short time the displays went out and now it's not starting a game. Just curious where my next steps should start in troubleshooting, I'm assuming this is likely a bad connection somewhere but I'm curious what connections I should start with checking.

Any and all help is appreciated!

*Edit* It makes the sound that it was making when it booted up.

#586 4 days ago

Good evening community,
I've been waiting for various replacement parts, and seeing where issues might be, after getting my Sharpshooter up and running for a short time the displays went out and now it's not starting a game. Just curious where my next steps should start in troubleshooting, I'm assuming this is likely a bad connection somewhere but I'm curious what connections I should start with checking.
Any and all help is appreciated!
*Edit* It makes the sound that it was making when it booted up.

The start up sounds are generated right on the sound card and will happen even if the MPU is unplugged and out of the game.

Where to start? Check all the voltages first. When you turn the game on do you see the flashes on the MPU? You should see 6 of them.

Was there battery damage or corrosion?

#587 3 days ago

The start up sounds are generated right on the sound card and will happen even if the MPU is unplugged and out of the game.
Where to start? Check all the voltages first. When you turn the game on do you see the flashes on the MPU? You should see 6 of them.

I'm only getting one flash now. A few hours or more I was getting the correct 6.

#588 3 days ago

Yes, look back a few posts. Severe battery damage and corrosion! It probably finally ate through a trace. I’ve seen it happen a few times. My Neo Geo played for a whole day before the video got knocked out due to battery damage

#589 3 days ago
Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

Yes, look back a few posts. Severe battery damage and corrosion! It probably finally ate through a trace. I’ve seen it happen a few times. My Neo Geo played for a whole day before the video got knocked out due to battery damage

Yes. It only takes one trace to develop an open. Between the way the reset circuit is done and the watchdog these MPU boards can be some of the most troublesome to work on. It doesn’t help that the area where the battery leaks messes up the ROM and RAM. Without that working it won’t reset the watchdog timer and you’ll get continuously resetting boards.

At the moment I have a spare MPU-2 with no battery damage but someone spent a lot of time before trying to get it work and never did. Just found some parts they changed were the wrong values and ROM jumpers were only partially configured.

#590 3 days ago

New member reporting! I have been looking for a Captain Hook for 5 years. It was one of the very first games I added to my wishlist!

I’m very happy to have it and it’s a blast to play! It only took 5 games for some drop targets to break. Who makes Game Plan repros? I don’t want to use Data East targets. I hear they work but they seem to be narrower. Also looking for the original decal art.

Thanks everyone. Huge thanks to Captainhook for selling me his game! Looks like he may have to change his Pinside name now!

4345A159-120C-4F92-B47A-033291773F20.jpeg88B44B10-F0CA-4CE9-86EE-A5EDC0B91F89.jpegD7283D9B-C3BB-48F4-AEA8-998FAC38EBAF.jpegB5A73EBC-0C35-479A-B9F1-2E6B0EB1451B.jpegC0BD7B47-91A6-44F0-BBAB-69E19AA4893E.jpeg
#591 3 days ago

You're welcome, I know it went to a great home and one day when I'm in upstate New York I'll play it again.

#592 3 days ago

So does this look salvageable, or am I in a position where I need to patiently wait for a replacement boards to become available here?

20211125_122850 (resized).jpg

I've never done this kind of work before, definitely outside of my comfort zone a bit.
20211125_123820 (resized).jpg20211125_123831 (resized).jpg

In addition to the single blank on the LED, The player displays and the credit display do blink with a digit for a second on boot up.

#593 3 days ago

Not only is it extremely salvageable, it's one of the least damaged boards that I've ever seen.

That should be a relatively easy repair for someone that is okay with board work. Perhaps there is a local hobbyist that has a favourite beer. That's about an hour's work, assuming there are no other problems. (There are always other problems)

#594 2 days ago
Quoted from semicolin:

Not only is it extremely salvageable, it's one of the least damaged boards that I've ever seen.
That should be a relatively easy repair for someone that is okay with board work. Perhaps there is a local hobbyist that has a favourite beer. That's about an hour's work, assuming there are no other problems. (There are always other problems)

Yeah I've got a local guy willing to give it a look who is reasonable, but since it's such a hard to replace board and not common I wanted to get opinions here.

It does look like there's at least a few bad connections though at far as I can tell. Hoping this is the main issue causing it not to boot since it was before.

The head was removed though, but it did boot after everything was reconnected at least a few times.

Thank you!

#595 2 days ago
Quoted from semicolin:

Definitely salvageable but definitely more than an hours work. Cleaning off and scraping off the the corrosion is a pain. Also to be reliable it will probably need new DIP sockets.

#596 2 days ago

Definitely salvageable but definitely more than an hours work. Cleaning off and scraping off the the corrosion is a pain. Also to be reliable it will probably need new DIP sockets.

I'm just glad people seem to agree this is the likely issue. Even if I have to spend some $$ I want to get this up and running. Now that it's in my barcade I've fallen in love with the art and aesthetic.

#597 2 days ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

I've seen at least 3 different people make posts with initial steps at creating a new MPU in the last few years, but so far nothing has made it to the finish line.

Four now.

https://pinballbasement.com/collections/gameplan/products/gameplan-type-2-mpu

all might have seen it already.

Yes... I know.

#598 1 day ago

Oh yikes, isn’t he the one who’s had tons of issues and ended up deactivating his account? That’s a bummer. I wish Jim would run one more batch!!!

#599 1 day ago

Does anyone print or make new Game Plan drop targets? I need some new ones for my Captain Hook! I’ve got the Data East’s right now because I own several DE’s however I’m not a fan of their drops. They’re larger and wider. Really want to keep beautiful, authentic GP drops in this game.

5988DE7A-CB92-4CDB-9370-91FF01AABDBB.jpeg
#600 1 day ago
Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

Really want to keep beautiful, authentic GP drops in this game.

The only source is parted games or when someone replaces a whole bank with DE targets and has a few good ones in the mix. They haven't been remade as far as I'm aware.

There are 607 posts in this topic. You are on page 12 of 13.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside