image.jpeg
mpu.jpg
DSC_0018.jpg
DSC_0016.jpg
DSC_0015.jpg
DSC_0013.jpg
DSC_0012.jpg
DSCN7080.JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider slgerber.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#115 8 years ago

Definitely worth saving, this is a fun game to play. First if you haven't already, download all the documentation from ipdb. Do you get the 6 red led flash when powering up? Take your time and you will learn a lot along the way. It's sounds like you have multiple issues so focus on one at a time. Mine was DOA and I have replaced components on every board. Definitely check out the area Force Flow highlighted. There is a lot of good information and knowledgeable people on Pinside to help you out.

1 week later
#119 8 years ago

Mark, is that sound one of the the sound the machine uses? I must confess I'm more familiar with the SSU-2. Sounds like something is latching on. I you can narrow that down and follow it back though testing components along the way. I'll take a better look at the schematic later.

1 week later
#121 8 years ago

Do you have the battery hooked up? (external, remove original)

#124 8 years ago

Glad to see it working. Can't help you with the c and o. Is it controlled lighting? Excuse my ignorance.

#127 8 years ago

It looks like it uses a PSU-1 power supply. I don't see a schematic listed under Andromeda on ipdb but there is one under the Sharpshooter schematics you can use that to help troubleshoot the power supply.

#129 8 years ago

When I tested my PSU-1 I had it out of the machine and hooked up with a temporary cord to plug it in. I checked voltages to the case (ground). I can't speak on the MM though.

1 week later
#134 8 years ago

I may need a picture to understand. It is a SDU-1 board, correct?

#136 8 years ago

Ok, if my memory serves me correctly (might be a big "if"), they don't have any as they drive the relay(s). Most only have one relay for the flipper circuit but I believe Andromeda used a second one for a spinning target or something like that.

#138 8 years ago

That's it!

#139 8 years ago

Ok, I think Super Nova used both relays as well. The schematic listed for it is the same one as the Sharpshooter. Not sure if that helps any. Are you having issues with the SDU board?

2 weeks later
#145 8 years ago

Batteries installed?????

#148 8 years ago

Man oh man. The battery took it's toll on this one. I guess it all depends on how much time you want to put into it. Replacements are hard to find so repair is a little more lucrative. Echo Lake makes MPU runs occasionally and sells them for around $300 IIRC. You could start I guess and see what damage is done. Cut the battery, neutralize the acid and check traces then move on to the components.

#150 8 years ago

It looks like Marco's has the ROM's, not sure of the quality though.

3 months later
#170 8 years ago

check Q39

1 month later
#181 7 years ago

Let my try to remember back. You may want to check U2, U3, U4 on the driver board. I think I had 2 of these that were bad. I found some replacements from China but they were junk and all the solenoids would lock on, the same as if there were no chips installed. I put sockets in when I replaced the chips and tried it without the chips. I then bought a set of used-refurbished ( I think from Ed but I can't confirm) ones and they worked fine and solved that problem.

#184 7 years ago
Quoted from santa1:

Oh no. Those chips are hard to find.

Check with Ed at Great Plains, I think he sold me used ones. If not maybe he can steer you in the right direction, great guy.

#188 7 years ago
Quoted from wizard_mode:

How do I remove the battery acid from the mpu2? Mustard? Also, what mem cap do I get to replace the battery? Is it as simple as replacing the battery with a mem cap or is there more involved?

Yes, Vinegar. I moved the batteries to the side of the backbox, added a blocking diode and just use Duracells.

#190 7 years ago
Quoted from wizard_mode:

? If the machine still will not start i plan to replace the socket chips as per earlier post as my first step in getting this baby to work.

Do you get 6 flashes on the LED when powering on?

2 years later
#209 5 years ago

Do you get any flashes on the MPU led? Maybe check the 5v a the mpu with the displays hooked up? Viperrwk (OP) was a great help with Game Plan trouble shooting but he has been MIA for over 2 years now.

3 weeks later
#218 5 years ago
Quoted from indy5mike:

Haven’t looked at this thread in a while, i remember how helpful Viperrwk was. Just curious, anybody know what happened to him?

He was such a great asset. Not sure what happened to him. Hasn't been around since 2015.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Reno, NV
$ 16.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine

$ 19.98
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 129.99
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider slgerber.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/game-plan-mpu-repair-a-shotgun-guide-w-pix?tu=slgerber and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.