Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by RonSS
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

Tuning up my Sharpshooter and noticed the high score does not display. Even after a game it displays as "0".

I have a new Echo Lake board that plays fine so looking for a direction on where to begin with the original board. Any specific transistor or ROM I should inspect?

Thoughts?

#2 6 years ago

I'm assuming the original battery was removed, so was anything installed to replace it?

#3 6 years ago

U20 & U21 are called out in the parts list as "HM 6551-9 CMOS I.C.". I'd probably start with those.

#4 6 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

I'm assuming the original battery was removed, so was anything installed to replace it?

It was. I tried reinstalling the wires and diode but alas, 0.

Am I correct in assuming that it shouldn't even need the battery to keep a score while on though?

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

U20 & U21 are called out in the parts list as "HM 6551-9 CMOS I.C.". I'd probably start with those.

Thank you, I'll look those over tonight.

#6 6 years ago
Quoted from RonSS:

It was. I tried reinstalling the wires and diode but alas, 0.
Am I correct in assuming that it shouldn't even need the battery to keep a score while on though?

While the power is on, no you don't need the battery.

Try clearing out the high score. In audits, go to #9 and press S33 on the MPU which will reset the high score to 100,000. I'm guessing the MPU thinks your scores are less than whatever garbage is in there on power up.

#7 6 years ago

I did press the red button on the mpu, is that s33?

I'll go to audit tonight as well.

#8 6 years ago

Ok, learned something tonight!
I didn't realize I had to go to audit 9 and then press s33.

Unfortunately , after setting to 100,000 the high score never changed after exceeding. As an added bonus I now have "garbage " displayed while in attract mode. The game still plays aND scores fine on all 4 displays, just goes back to alternating garbage.

Next step: U20 & U21.

#9 6 years ago

Ok, hopefully I'm doing something useful here, if not, just tell me, I love learning.

I test the U20 with a dmm from the back side points. Using the diode function I found both directions giving me "1".

Same test on U21 shows one direction "1" but the other 589 or so.

Using 200 ohm setting everything reads 1.

What does this tell me? Or if nothing, what should I be doing?

Thanks for your help.

#10 6 years ago

Bump

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 16.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine
Magazines/books
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball
Toys/Add-ons
$ 98.99
Boards
PinballReplacementParts
Boards
Cabinet Parts
Rocket City Pinball
Cabinet parts
$ 129.99
Boards
PinballReplacementParts
Boards
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Bob's Pinball Stuff
Other
$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toys/Add-ons
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/game-plan-high-score-issue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.