Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

LastBall.jpg
CT_rear.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dirtflipper.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2 10 years ago

I'd guess '66 for the "Last Ball in Play" (Cross Town may actually have been first with that, not sure).

Some woodrails have the Game Over screened in the glass, the backbox board drilled for the bulb socket, but no socket installed. I think they started populating it in the late woodrails, but can't think which games have it offhand. Would be late period though, like '57-'60.

#5 10 years ago

Sing Along does.

#8 10 years ago

If the Last Ball in Play socket is wired with a 35ohm sand resistor, you actually *have* to put a flasher in there. (Cross Town is this way.) A 44 (or 47) will burn up too quickly otherwise.

#10 10 years ago

Looks like this (taken from Cross Town IPDB pic):

CT_rear.jpgCT_rear.jpg

#12 10 years ago

Bah, you would ask!

So here's a short version. You'll see on the schematic that these bulbs are actually on the 25V side of the house, rather than the 6V:

LastBall.jpgLastBall.jpg

A #455 bulb is a 6.5V, 0.5A bulb, so putting a 6.5V bulb in a 25V circuit will burn it out rather quickly. Some of the 25V needs to be consumed to leave 6.5V for the bulb. The amount needed is the difference: 25V-6.5V = 18.5V.

So a resistor is needed in series with the bulb to take that 18.5V. Since the bulb draws 0.5A, so will the resistor. Using Ohm's Law (V=IR) and solving for R yields V/I = R, so 18.5V/0.5A = 37 Ohms.

Now, 37 Ohms is pretty darn close to the 35 Ohms, but not exact. I'll wave my arms a bit here and say that there's another 2 Ohms of resistance in the circuit already (which can be measured), such that 35 Ohms is sufficient.

But that gives the resistance value, and a resistor has both a resistance and a power rating. With the 0.5A and the 18.5V, power in Watts is just 'volt-amps', or 18.5V*0.5A, or 9.25 W, call it 10 Watts or better.

So, a #455 bulb in series with a 35 Ohm, 10 Watt resistor.

(And no, I don't have this memorized; I have to re-derive each time, although this should do for awhile now...)

#17 10 years ago
Quoted from MikeO:

After reading about this yesterday it reminded me to replace the bulb in the "Last Ball In Play" light in the head of my Ice Revue as it had not been lighting and is on the 25V circuit.
It glowed so brightly that I was afraid it was going to take the art off the backside of the backglass so I pulled the bulb. I'm sure the bulb would not have lasted very long at that rate. I'll take a resistance reading on the resistor tonight and bet I will find less than 35ohms of resistance.
Mike O.

The Ice Review schematic shows it as being a 35 Ohm, 10 Watt resistor, so should be a #455 flasher bulb used.

I haven't found a good source for the original 'sand' type of resistors, so have to use ceramic ones when they need to be replaced.

Sometimes you'll find sockets in series with a 75 Ohm resistor instead. Those need #44 bulbs (which are 6.3V, .250 Amp)

#18 10 years ago
Quoted from hawkeye11:

I like to use an led in my Ice Revue "Last Ball in Play Light", incandescents can just get way to hot. It looks almost the same, just a little brighter.

If the LED is drawing a different amperage and voltage, probably should also change the resistor to balance it back out.

#20 10 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

That's why my bulbs keep blowing!
So, guess all game over bulbs needs to be 455 blinking bayonet?

No, not necessarily. It depends on whether the socket is wired into the 25V part of the circuit or not, and even then, what value of resistor is wired in series with it. And this really was only used on the Last Ball in Play and some playfield lights (like Special When Lit type lights).

I can't think of a Game Over light that was this way at all. But they often are set up for a flasher bulb, due to the way the socket is set flush with the backbox board (so the large, round bulb doesn't prevent the bulb base from going in the socket).

#22 10 years ago
Quoted from nick-the-greek:

Sing Along has those sand resistors across the four kick out hole lights, I guess Melody and Kings & Queens have, as well. For the game over light, the resistor value could be increased and a normal 44 / 47 fitted. It certainly needs a higher value if the game is high tapped, even with a 455.

Yes, those kickout hole lights have the resistors, but they are 75 Ohm, so need the #44 bulb specifically (a #47 will burn out). To use a #47, a higher resistor value is needed.

The resistors weren't used with the Game Over light (that I know of).

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
1,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Egg Harbor Township, NJ
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dirtflipper.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/game-over-light?tu=dirtflipper and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.