D6_j37IUEAY1Pp8 (resized).jpg
got1-with-circle (resized).jpg
20190519_232926 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_2019-05-20-00-12-27~2 (resized).png
Screenshot_2019-05-20-00-09-07 (resized).png
Screenshot_2019-05-20-00-09-27 (resized).png
Screenshot_2019-05-20-00-09-39 (resized).png
got22 (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinmonk.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#356 4 years ago
Quoted from jester523:

Isnt it sort of ambiguous even in the books. Little brother could be Jaime, Tyrion, or the hound as far as I see it.

Or her demon baby.

#357 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

I predicted that the snow king would be defeated by the middle of season 8. I was close on that.
To sit on the Iron Throne my sure shot was John Snow, my long shot Samuel Tully.
I'm changing that to Arya sitting on the Iron Throne. Daenerys kills Jon and maybe Sansa, Arya kills Daenerys and takes the throne. Maybe shot - Arya kills Daenerys and puts Sansa on the throne.
LTG : )

Sam won't be on the throne. He's the one that writes the Song of Ice and Fire that is the "source" document for what we are watching. Pretty sure he'll do that in the Citadel, if he hasn't started on it already.

#358 4 years ago
Quoted from Asael:

My prediction still is the same as before. Dany will die, because now that her army is almost not excistend she will try to conquer Kings Landing with her dragon. The dragon will be killed and she too by Cersei, this will be shockingly brutal. Jon and the rest will come to late and he can only try to avenge her. They will all die in the dragon pits in a big explosion. The Hound and the Mountain will get their battle. Someone will kill Cersei, don't know who, perhaps one of her brothers or Arya. Hmm, perhaps the kingslayer will become a queen slayer too and kill his sister, that would fit.

The elephants. What about Cersei's elephants? Did she get some? Will they help her?

Quoted from Asael:

What I still don't get is why the Night King was realy after Bran. I don't know what Bran did in the big battle, but I think sitting there and switching in crows was
not the only thing he did. Perhaps we will get the true story about the Night King, the Others and the Starks in the prequel.

Interesting theory about that here:
http://time.com/5579736/game-of-thrones-bran-stark-lord-of-light/

#374 4 years ago
Quoted from Xerico:

Someone online suggested setting brightness as high as possible and watching the episode again. I plan to try that sometime this week.
My feed was dark, but not so dark that I was bothered by it.
I am intrigued by the idea of watching it again with max brightness.
Marcus

I did that before I started watching. Didn't help much, just showed up the compression artifacts better. They really shot it in the dark (stupid), so there's not much more detail there to see by turning up the brightness.

#388 4 years ago
Quoted from Ballsofsteel:

i'm confused, everyone says Ayra killed the night king...but i thought she has the dagger knocked from her hand and her brother bran the cripple grabbed it and stabs him? it also shows him holding the dagger after it.

Arya pulls a very similar assassin move she does on Brienne in the courtyard of Winterfell when they were sparring last season, dropping the knife from her upper right hand to her lower left hand, then stabbing. The main difference is this time the hands were reversed and the drop from hand to hand was longer.

#392 4 years ago
Quoted from vicjw66:

Could anyone figure out wtf was going on with the dragons? Were they fighting or did they just get lost? Did one of the living dragons die at the end? I couldn't tell what happened. I think I have to rewatch the episode in slow motion. Only problem is slow motion is more muddy then full speed. And full speed was pretty damn muddy. Did anyone else think to themselves when they saw Deloris Edd, oh you poor bastard, there ain't no way you're surviving this.

Both living dragons survived, Jon's was just severely wounded and had to land. They're both in the preview for next week, too.

Even with the "HD" direct HBO stream (no additional compression from DirecTV, DISH, or local cable company), the compression was still pretty hard. Turning up the brightness just showed off the artifacts of compression and limited color pallete but didn't reveal much more visual information.

#398 4 years ago
Quoted from Silverballer:

I enjoyed the episode enough to watch it twice. My first question was why didn't they use the dragons to wipe out most of the dead army. They could of just swept across and mowed them down row by row. They did a little but not nearly enough. Arya was great but I agree she lost her assassin composure by screaming as she attacked the NK. Bran? What a waste of a character - poor dude that had that part spent years being dragged around in the cold, and in the end, could do nothing but just sit there and wait for the NK to kill him.
I think that was our last big battle and that when they go down to Kings Landing it won't be nearly as epic. We still have the hound vs his brother and Cersi vs her brothers. Someone must end up on the iron throne. Will it be Danni, maybe Danni and Jon together with Arya as their hand?
It has been a great series, sad to see it end.

The theory that Bran/3 Eyed Raven is the physical manifestation of the Lord of Light is interesting because that makes Jon a Fire Wight due to the resurrection, which means, Bran dies, Jon Dies.

#400 4 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

Fuck I'm gonna miss this show.

I miss the show it was before they ran out of source material a few seasons ago. The writing, pacing, character development...all of it is noticibly off since they had to start writing it themselves. So I'm not too broken up about the accelerated wrapup of the TV show. At least there are two more books. The Winds of Winter one is supposedly done (finally) and like 1200 pages! Then we just have to cross our fingers that Martin lives long enough to fart out the last one and wrap this all up the way he intended. I believe it will be substantially different than the TV show. We'll see.

#429 4 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

I think they just have so many key characters that they don't know how to write an ending to the story for all of them.

Plus they're WAY rushing. They could easily put more intrigue into it and do 2 more seasons. Problem is, they don't have the writing chops to do it well, so they're trying to get it over with.

#451 4 years ago
Quoted from BillySastard:

Jon gives Tormund and Sam a hug, but Ghost doesn't even get a pat? I think the worst thing the show has done is kill the tie between Jon and Ghost. The two are almost inseparable in the books. Ghost is the dog that every boy dreams of having when he's a kid, but they just cast him aside like he's a red headed stepchild.
I've seen every episode prior to this season at least twice, a few of them more than that. But, I'll probably never watch S.8Ep.4 ever again. I'm happy the series is ending, D & D have run it into the shitter.

Yeah, posted elsewhere that S8E4 is a poorly paced and terribly written episode, probably the worst so far this season. It's clear they don't have the skill to land this plane without JRRM's writing.

#454 4 years ago
Quoted from northerndude:

I was yelling, flank them, burn them fuckers to the water from behind

That, PLUS is Yara the worst leader ever that she didn't have a watch to see enemy ships approaching? They should have never gotten that close to begin with. SO many logic holes. Just bad writing, again. It's like, "this will be cool and unexpected" and they just do it with no logical setup or progression. Just like the random fighting in Dorne that came out of nowhere.

S08E04 is a strong case of deja vu all over again. The writers are lost without the books to guide them.

#466 4 years ago
Quoted from pacman11:

That's hilarious! Was that really there in the scene? lol

Yeah, it's in the shot when Tormund is drunkenly talking about Jon getting murdered.

#470 4 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

And no one had said a word about Missandie? Grey Worm gonna go off! Maybe he will be the one to kill Cersie?

Next week Grey Worm will wake up in a sweat and realize that part was all a dream. No way Dany got to Cersei before Jon WHO LEFT BEFORE HER. I mean, the Iron Islands are on the opposite side of the continent from Kings Landing, but somehow Dany beat him there with TROOPS?

Interactive map to show the distances between episode locations:
http://quartermaester.info/

#476 4 years ago
Quoted from Procrastinator:

Dany wasn’t going to the iron islands...she was going to dragonstone which is near Kings landing.

Okay, at least she's on the right side of the continent then, but I still don't see how she got to Kings Landing before Jon, then. It's quite a hike from Winterfell to the coast, then they lost their ships and had to hoof it to Kings Landing, while Jon had a straight shot.

#480 4 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Or, will Cersei live?

Only if Maggy's prophecy is wrong.

"Aye. Queen you shall be... until there comes another, younger and more beautiful, to cast you down and take all that you hold dear."

"And when your tears have drowned you, the valonqar shall wrap his hands about your pale white throat and choke the life from you."

#485 4 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

True; and with that, I don’t think it will be Daenerys even though all signs point to that being the case. My hope for it being Sansa and giving the final command to behead Cersei could be true. They’ve made Sansa look even taller with more of a queen-like look to her this season. And since it’s taking Jon forever to get to Kings Landing, I’m sure it will be no problem for Bran & Sansa to portal in just in time to give the command

I think it's another misdirection. GRRM doesn't say it's another woman that casts Cersei down, just someone younger and more beautiful. Could be a dude.

#508 4 years ago
Quoted from Luckydogg420:

I’m amazed at people that can’t suspend belief

It's suspending disbelief most people are having trouble with on GoT now. That usually happens when the writing of any show or movie goes in the toilet. If the writing is good, people will give the benefit of the doubt.

#512 4 years ago
Quoted from Hobbypinball:

Its called jumping the shark.........
What annoyed me most about the last episode was the weapon and accuracy used to take a moving dragon out of the sky from a boat a mile or so away. Not hit it just once, but twice in the same location and then a third through the throat?!?
And then the energy of said harpoon guns effectively packing more punch than a cannon in taking out half a ship with one shot. Yes its fantasy, but when you throw ALL sense of physics out the window it becomes tedious to watch.

It's not just that, but pretty much every scene in Episode 4 was problematic. The Brienne/Jaime kiss was AWKward and out of the blue. Brienne ugly crying when he left was out of character. The Tyrion virgin thing was just a poor bridge to the Brienne/Jaime tryst later. The Dany fast-travel with troops to Kings Landing while Jon who left BEFORE her isn't at Kings Landing yet was dumb, and that whole faceoff at the King's Landing wall was riddled with problems. It also looked more like Dorne than King's Landing. Just one problem after another. Any ONE of those might be excused if everything else was excellent, but it was all badly written, badly paced, badly presented, so it leaves a bad taste in the mouth because fans of the show have experienced much, MUCH better in prior seasons when they were working off actual GRRM source. This season is almost like fanfic they decided to shoot. There's NO SUBTLETY at ALL. Every scene is just a clumsy punch in the face.

#521 4 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

This show has to make HBO mad loot, why are they rushing to finish it and not go another full season?

They left out enough material in the books to cover 2-3 more seasons, but that's water under the bridge. They don't have the skills to write 2-3 more solid seasons, so they're just trying to wrap it up the best they can (which is poorly) and get out. The producers are bored and can't wait to mess up Star Wars with their production deal already set with Disney.

#539 4 years ago
Quoted from nascarrey:

I'm expecting the finale of GOT to end like The Soprano's did, theyre gonna leave us hanging …….

Sopranos did NOT leave the ending open. Tony was killed. The only bone I have to pick with the way they did it is it would have been more obvious if you were seeing from Tony's perspective when it went dark instead of looking AT Tony. But I was fine with that ending. I thought they *almost* nailed it.

Breaking Bad did an amazing job finishing the show in a satisfying way, but yeah, there aren't many series that end well.

#551 4 years ago

Boo. The writers suck so bad. GRRM they are not.

#557 4 years ago

Lastly, Jaime and Cersei's death was pretty anticlimactic for me.

And Varys death? Total waste.

I basically am thinking of HBO GoT like Donald Sutherland in invasion of the Body Snatchers. It's doing all the right things for a long time, then there's a little break and you see him and aren't quite sure if everything's okay (S08 Ep 1-3), then he turns and does the alien shriek to show he's been snatched. These last two episodes have been the shriek. Pretty sure there's no good ending or even good bad ending for any of this in the HBO version. It's just stupid fanfic-level writing.

#623 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

New prediction.
Daenerys executes Jon Snow for treason. Jon being Targaryen, survives Drogon's flames, or Drogon won't fricassee him because he's Targaryen. Jon pulls his sword and kills Daenerys for giving the order to kill him. Then reluctantly takes the Iron Throne, to end further bloodshed.
LTG : )
Disclaimer : Tyrion dies in a pub accident when the Unsullied play midget tossing with him.

Targaryens are not impervious to fire just by nature of them being Targaryens. Dany's thing seems to be kind of a special case.

#656 4 years ago

Personally, I think it would've been cool if Rhaegal was never killed in Ep. 4. Jon and Dany each ride their dragon in Ep. 5 until the pivotal moment with the bells. Then bam, a couple of scorpions appear that were hidden in cars like they did last season. They both score direct hits on Rhaegal, killing him. Then Dany goes crazy and burns the city.

Then, at one point the camera pulls out to a hill overlooking the city where Hot Pie has set up a food cart for the spectators and is serving them a selection of find handheld pies and ale as they watch King's Landing burn.

#698 4 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

All the moaning I keep seeing about the show reminds me of the ending of the Sopranos.

It's substantially different because Sopranos didn't have 3 seasons of increasingly sloppy and massively accelerated storytelling and character development at the end. It seems to me that it kept a pretty consistent level of quality right to the end. GoT had a pretty substantial drop in season 6 and has kept dropping in writing, pacing, and character development. It's especially obvious if you rewatch from the beginning after the later seasons.

#734 4 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

Excellent final episode. I figured Dani would go quick, and good to see Bran as the new King. I wish we had some more of the new regime in action, the council looks like it would be entertaining to watch.

Bronn actually GETTING Highgarden (the former heart of chivalry) is ridiculous.

#823 4 years ago
Quoted from ryanwanger:

Without spoiling anything, what are some epic, long running TV shows where people liked the ending? Seems to be easier to think of bad endings than good ones.

Breaking Bad is one of the best, very few lags in the whole series, even. Supposedly Six Feet Under is great, but I haven't seen that series. M*A*S*H was very good, too. Newhart was great, too.

#851 4 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

"Winter is coming" was all but dropped from the show the final season.

That and the shortest winter ever with grass or whatever that was sprouting north of the wall at the end. Dumb.

#854 4 years ago
Quoted from northerndude:

Isn't winter supposed to be decades or longer?

Yes, that's why it was super dumb to have the "hope" of a green blade of grass in the far north at the end when winter JUST started. It took like 7 seasons to come and one season to be over. And no one aged enough for there to be a 10 year time jump before the character wrapup. Bad, lazy writing and storytelling that can't hold a candle to seasons 1-5.

#857 4 years ago
Quoted from Jarbyjibbo:

the night king dies, so winter dies maybe? He seemed to bring it with him wherever he went, that's for sure.

But it got worse well after he was killed, bad enough to hit King's Landing in the south hard.

#860 4 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

I’m pretty sure that was ashes, not snow. There was no snow in Kings landing before the battle. Only snow that hit Kings landing was the tiny amount at end of S7 when Jamie was exiled.

Yeah I was back and forth on it, but when Dani grabs the Iron Throne there's a closeup and they look much more like ice crystals on it than ash. Also, if that's ash, it's the whitest ash ever. We literally had the same thing here in California where it rained ash for days and it was much dirtier and much less accumulation from a much larger and longer-lasting fire.

#875 4 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

http://georgerrmartin.com/notablog/2019/05/21/thanks-new-zealand/
Martin says he wants to have the next book done by summer 2020. Whether or not that actually happens is another story.

No. Way. Unless he really did finish both books like that rumor he denied. He's definitely done with the next one because his schedule magically cleared up for appearances and other stuff after being on lockdown. Probably just waiting for publisher timing on the release.

1 week later
#902 4 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

It was an impossible task to complete the show with the amount of hours of TV they had, but not from lack of effort of everyone involved.

THEY CHOSE TO RUSH IT. HBO would have been fine giving them another 2-3 seasons to properly develop the show in the usual way. It was a self-inflicted wound. The rush was the core problem. It ruined the finish of the show because so much didn't make sense or lacked apparent motivation due to poor or non-existent character development in the last couple seasons.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinmonk.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/game-of-thrones-the-show-spoilers-ahead?tu=pinmonk and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.