D6_j37IUEAY1Pp8 (resized).jpg
got1-with-circle (resized).jpg
20190519_232926 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_2019-05-20-00-12-27~2 (resized).png
Screenshot_2019-05-20-00-09-07 (resized).png
Screenshot_2019-05-20-00-09-27 (resized).png
Screenshot_2019-05-20-00-09-39 (resized).png
got22 (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider gdonovan.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#360 4 years ago
Quoted from aobrien5:

Cersei kills Jon and Dany. Arya kills Cersei so Tyrion can take the throne... and remarry Sansa...

Song of Fire and Ice, right in the title.

Will be the dragon queen or John Snow on the throne.

Of course at this point the show is following its own course so the novels might not apply.

#364 4 years ago
Quoted from BillySastard:

It's best not to think too hard on this episode. Otherwise you'll think of questions like, why did they send the deadliest living army in the world against the army of the undead with no dragon glass and one Valyerian sword? That's like sending the US military against the Russian military armed with only cigarette lighters.
RIP Dothraki screamers.

They spent the last 2 episodes forging weapons from dragon glass that John Snow brought up from the south.

#367 4 years ago
Quoted from BillySastard:

I know, I've seen the episodes, but the arakhs that the Dothraki had that Melisandre lit on fire were regular steel swords.

I would assume the "deadliest living army" was the Unsullied.

Dothraki are just unorganized cannon fodder. There was just a few hundred Dothraki at best and several thousand disciplined and trained Unsullied.

#380 4 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

Overall big thumbs up for the episode. I look forward to how it all ends.

I thought the prior episode was better, nice build up with all the characters.

#383 4 years ago
Quoted from meSz:

well thats the whole thing....it was soooo dark you couldn't see that Ayra dropped the knife from her upper hand to the other one that was lower and she stabbed him, with the pointy end, in the stomach!

Yes, a move she remarked on in a prior episode I think.

#386 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

She did.

He has his own dagger.
Maybe Ayra beat him to it ?
LTG : )

I'm 99% sure it was a Vilarian? steel dagger that the assassin tried to kill Bran with.

#418 4 years ago
Quoted from Luckydogg420:

I don’t think that Dan and Dave will have anything to do with the prequel series. HBO and George are bringing this into fruition, and George has written a couple extra books in the last couple years detailing the history of the Targaryens and first men.

Fat man needs to hurry up before a heart attack takes him out.

Rumor has it there was only suppose to be an original book or two, but after the first took off and publisher pulled up with a truck load of money things changed. An editor I chat with frequently said George's problem is one that often strikes down epic series writers is the characters get away from their creator and they run out of gas. The editor also noted very few writers are able to pull this off, Tolkien being used as an example. Unless you have a clear vision start to finish when you start putting it down on paper, things get sideways in a hurry.

1 week later
#523 4 years ago

After watching my wife stated "this was a filler episode wasn't it?"

Pretty much.

#530 4 years ago
Quoted from vicjw66:

I would have lost all respect for Stephen King if I wasn’t so certain that some joker hacked his account.

King's well went dry years ago, he should keep his mouth shut.

The Gunslinger saga was pretty much dead after the third book and he totally crashed and burned the final.

Also; refer to his one and only movie directing credit "Maximum Overdrive"

His early stuff is disturbing and worth reading, later not so much.

#532 4 years ago

Sounds like you just lost all respect for Stephen King then. How certain are you that he’s been hacked?

Since he was almost killed by a distracted driver years ago he has not been right.

#537 4 years ago

I think Stephen's track record speaks for its self when it comes to literary works, that's why I chose those pics to repost.

His track record for finishing sagas in a satisfying manner to loyal readers is fairly low.

I'll pass on Kings opinions.

#596 4 years ago
Quoted from aingide:

Really good episode. Of course it rushed a lot of things, like the rest of this season, but it hit some interesting notes.
I don't think that Dany will end up on the throne, but Jon killing her seems too on the nose. Varys did try to have one of his little birds poison her food, so the people rising up and taking her out would be a fitting end.

Arya will kill the mad queen, they were a little too cute having her ride off on a pale horse.

Jon will end up on the throne.

#669 4 years ago

You can have the best sets, CGI and actors but if you don't have a great story and dialog it doesn't matter.

Star Wars prequels come to mind.

The last episode made up for the prior two lackluster ones though I thought a few of the characters were out of.. well character. Your going to tell me Arya is going to back up now when she is on the cusp of killing the queen? A motivation she has had for years? And just Dani frying Kings Landing after freeing the slaves in the other city? She has nothing to gain by doing this, everyone is already scared witless by the women with a fire breathing dragon who has just laid waste to an army. I know, madness runs in the family.. which Jon is part of.

Can't have it both ways.

And yes Euron coming ashore unwinded and unwounded after being blown out of a boat and swimming his ass across the bay just as Jamie comes ambling by was ridiculous.

Just some lazy writing.

#671 4 years ago
Quoted from starfighter:

Cersei - A completely ruthless person who takes advantage of every situation, but doesn't take advantage of the wall meet up to attack Tryion or Dani, but instead stands by for 20 minutes while the city is destroyed?

This was a hard one for me- The dragon and Dani were literally in her sights.. and she does nothing? War would have been over on the spot. The crossbows were in easy range compared to the shots from the ship that killed the other. They could have killed the dragon and rained death down on Dani and crew with ease.

And her brother whom she was paying an assassin to kill is standing right there and does nothing?

#682 4 years ago
Quoted from Vyzer2:

Was watching Etertainment Tonight a couple of days ago. They were doing a little feature on GOT. They showed all the characters around a table shooting the sh-t. Then they showed Dany in front of a green screen and the director or one of the production crews says, “that’s Emilia’s last shot” (everyone clapped). Well she was not dead. Hmm

Really doesn't mean anything as shots are not done in order (casting, weather and location conflicts have to be worked around not too mention they streamline as much as possible to save money) and multiple different endings were shot.

One reason to defend against leaks ruining the planned ending and I bet focus group testing to see which ending got the best audience reaction.

#686 4 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

She may be all about killing her enemies, but was she willing to die to achieve that ultimate goal?

Moby Dick.

Her whole path and arc has been nothing but vengeance since Ned Stark's head was removed, sad it was not followed through.

#693 4 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

The Hound was on her kill list the entire show and...GASP....she never killed him.

She left him for dead, after robbing him. Perhaps that was enough.

#808 4 years ago

It left much to be desired.

#824 4 years ago

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/observations/the-real-reason-fans-hate-the-last-season-of-game-of-thrones/

"After the show ran ahead of the novels, however, it was taken over by powerful Hollywood showrunners David Benioff and D. B. Weiss. Some fans and critics have been assuming that the duo changed the narrative to fit Hollywood tropes or to speed things up, but that’s unlikely. In fact, they probably stuck to the narrative points that were given to them, if only in outline form, by the original author. What they did is something different, but in many ways more fundamental: Benioff and Weiss steer the narrative lane away from the sociological and shifted to the psychological. That’s the main, and often only, way Hollywood and most television writers tell stories."

Excellent article on why GOT writing changed as it did.

#832 4 years ago

IMHO there was only one good episode this season, the first one with the build up at Winterfell.

The rest left much to be desired with the show writers throwing away character arcs that had been building for several seasons.

It was beautifully shot and acted, like the perfect "10" you meet who turns out to be shallow as a cookie sheet and vacuous.

#840 4 years ago
Quoted from winteriscoming:

People seemed to travel to and from Winterfell pretty easily.

They threw distance away towards the end; perhaps my memory is faulty but did it not take 3 months for the king to go from the capitol to Winterfell in the first episode?

#847 4 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

I seem to recall references where its supposed to be like 15ft of snow.. and the way Theon escapes is jumping off the wall into the snow banks.
That's all glossed over in the retreat to winterfell

"Winter is coming" was all but dropped from the show the final season.

#853 4 years ago
Quoted from northerndude:

Isn't winter supposed to be decades or longer?

Yes.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider gdonovan.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/game-of-thrones-the-show-spoilers-ahead?tu=gdonovan and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.