D6_j37IUEAY1Pp8 (resized).jpg
got1-with-circle (resized).jpg
20190519_232926 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_2019-05-20-00-12-27~2 (resized).png
Screenshot_2019-05-20-00-09-07 (resized).png
Screenshot_2019-05-20-00-09-27 (resized).png
Screenshot_2019-05-20-00-09-39 (resized).png
got22 (resized).png
There are 936 posts in this topic. You are on page 17 of 19.
#801 4 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Fantastic season, and even greater finale. I can’t see how anyone who’s a fan of the show not like this season. Yes, it felt rushed and should have been drawn out more, but let’s reflect on what we got:

+ Night King storyline: we’ve seen and were introduced to white walkers and the undead since the beginning. We’ve seen suspense as our favorite characters just barely live their encounters. We’ve seen the whitewalkers decimate the free folk; we saw Jon Snow take on a white walker and killing it with Valaryian steel; we learn that taking down a while walker who has raised the dead will eliminate the undead bonded to him - i.e. how do you beat the undead, ‘kill that fucker’ *pointing to the night king*; we’ve seen them surround the bested baddest warriors in the story in which the night king takes down a dragon and summons it as his own; we see them absolutely annihlate the wall and move on to the land of the north; we see Jon snow gather the strongest army in the country to take on the undead in an epic battle in which we see and learn that Jon’s army is no match for the undead and that no one can stop them until an epic assasination by a fan favorite in Arya Stark. That storyline had to end, it was either kill the night king and save the world, or die and everyone in the world dies. They couldn’t draw that storyline out any further.

+ We got to see 3 dragons be raised from eggs, to lil pups, to some huge ass holy shit arm hair raising dragons. We get to see the destruction they were capable as they become full grown. We get this eerie feeling of weakness that Daenerys may be no match for Cersei having Euros and the iron fleet with the scorpion crossbows, but learn that his fleet is only a threat when they have the element of surprise and see how weak they truly are when they are the sitting ducks. We see an absolute onslaught of fiery destruction with Drogon reaping down on a city we, the viewer, once despised, and slowly (yet again via GOT tradition) learn that Daenerys has always been mad with destruction - eye of the beholder. I almost bought into her speech to Jon Snow at the end, believing she knows what’s right for the land, her true colors are shown that Tyrian was right, she was more evil and devastating than his sister.

+ Brans storyline comes full circle; he didn’t want to be king of the north, but he said nothing about being the king of Westeros. And we see that in the end. Sansa becomes queen of the north. Arya goes on another adventure, and Jon is banished to the nights watch where he gets to help the free folk rebuild their lives which is something that has always been true to his heart. Everyone wins. The only threat and unknown is that Drogon lives, and Daenerys.....?

+ All our other favorite characters (Sam, Brienne, Yara, Ser Davos, etc...) all end up in a position of high power.

All in all; they finished the story quickly, we all agree on that, but we got some epic battles and a finale that brought everything full circle.

Well...when you put it THAT way....

#802 4 years ago

8 years of watching Thrones down the drain!

J/K

Last season seemed rushed, not the ending I was expecting (there are sooo many ways they could have ended it), but overall I really enjoyed the series.

I enjoyed reading everyones interpretation of the episodes!

Going to read the books now and hopefully understand a little more about the characters (wish I knew I had 8 years to read them all before the series concluded).

If you need something to watch now that GOT is over, check out Chernobyl on HBO.

#803 4 years ago
Quoted from nascarrey:

8 years of watching Thrones down the drain!
J/K
Last season seemed rushed, not the ending I was expecting (there are sooo many ways they could have ended it), but overall I really enjoyed the series.
I enjoyed reading everyones interpretation of the episodes!
Going to read the books now and hopefully understand a little more about the characters (wish I knew I had 8 years to read them all before the series concluded).
If you need something to watch now that GOT is over, check out Chernobyl on HBO.

I really love "The Ozarks." I think i might restart "West world" as well

#804 4 years ago
Quoted from nascarrey:

I have been obsessed with that show lately, really well done.

#805 4 years ago

I liked the final season and loved all the season's. Not sure what people were expecting, but I knew what was going to happen and it did. I was not disappointed and still feel it is the best TV sitcom ever made. I remember the days of LOST and the people disappointed in that outcome. I think nowadays it is hard to please everyone and some people are just trying to find faults with anything they can, just to make a point. I think it ended perfect and fit the storyline well, I am bummed it is over but it needed to have an ending. Now time to go play some GOT and reminisce.

#806 4 years ago

Here’s two videos explaining the ending. The first one predicted bran would be king weeks before the final show.

And the second give a decent in-depth breakdown

#807 4 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

I remember the days of LOST and the people disappointed in that outcome.

The ending of GoT was a masterpiece compared to LOST.

#808 4 years ago

It left much to be desired.

#809 4 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

I liked the final season and loved all the season's. Not sure what people were expecting, but I knew what was going to happen and it did. I was not disappointed and still feel it is the best TV sitcom ever made.

Maybe my issue this entire time is that I never viewed it as a sitcom.

Mind. Blown.

#810 4 years ago

Meh. Didn't like how it ended. They ruined a great opportunity to let Jon Snow be true to his character, and earn the throne, but then turn it down.

Bran is one badass wheelchair-bound dude:
- Bran sees the future (confirmed again in the council meeting where he said" Why would I have come all this way?"
- Bran lets it all happen anyway (Dany going mad, snuffing out a million lives)
- Bran then lets himself become king.

WTF.

#811 4 years ago

Cannot wait for season 9 !

#812 4 years ago
Quoted from Snailman:

Bran is one badass wheelchair-bound dude:
- Bran sees the future (confirmed again in the council meeting where he said" Why would I have come all this way?"
- Bran lets it all happen anyway (Dany going mad, snuffing out a million lives)
- Bran then lets himself become king.
WTF.

Bran since he’s become the three eyed raven is actually a Targaryen bastard; one that waits in a hole under a tree until Jogen Reid and his sister bring him a little crippled stark boy that he can dump his mind into. Then he “lets it all happen anyways” and “let’s himself be King” because as a Targaryen bastard he’d never sit on the throne.

Mind = blown

#813 4 years ago
Quoted from Luckydogg420:

Bran since he’s become the three eyed raven is actually a Targaryen bastard; one that waits in a hole under a tree until Jogen Reid and his sister bring him a little crippled stark boy that he can dump his mind into. Then he “lets it all happen anyways” and “let’s himself be King” because as a Targaryen bastard he’d never sit on the throne.
Mind = blown

That's all fine until you show up at a party amd there is a 4 eyed raven there

#814 4 years ago

I just went back and watched the Battle of the Bastards (season 6 ep. 9) and that might have been the greatest episode of all. I just wanted to see that battle scene again but that episode also had the slavers getting roasted in Mareen and Ramsey getting mauled by his own hounds. I feel like I need a cigarette after watching that and I don’t even smoke.

#815 4 years ago

Put me down on team Jon Snow. This seems like the happiest ending possible.
He never wanted to be king, and thus stuck in King's Landing. He is now the greatest Ranger to ever live, risen from the grave to fulfill his destiny. He was pivotal in the defeat of the Night King and ultimately the saviour of Man, a Dragon-riding legend among men, actual breaker of the wheel of tyranny, who was true to duty above love, now living out his days ranging beyond the wall with his dire wolf and helping the Wildlings return home. The King of the True North. Frickin' A.

#816 4 years ago
Quoted from PinKopf:

Put me down on team Jon Snow. This seems like the happiest ending possible.
He never wanted to be king, and thus stuck in King's Landing. He is now the greatest Ranger to ever live, risen from the grave to fulfill his destiny. He was pivotal in the defeat of the Night King and ultimately the saviour of Man, a Dragon-riding legend among men, actual breaker of the wheel of tyranny, who was true to duty above love, now living out his days ranging beyond the wall with his dire wolf and helping the Wildlings return home. The King of the True North. Frickin' A.

Somehow I don’t think he’s a ranger. He’s going with the wildlings and not coming back. Tormund said at Winterfell he was going back to the real north where he belongs and said to Jon that’s where he belonged as well.

#817 4 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

The ending of GoT was a masterpiece compared to LOST.

It was a lot like the ending of Battlestar Galactica. All the good stuff went down in the first half of the episode, and then the second half kept winding down "tying up" all the loose ends.

#818 4 years ago
Quoted from girloveswaffles:

It was a lot like the ending of Battlestar Galactica. All the good stuff went down in the first half of the episode, and then the second half kept winding down "tying up" all the loose ends.

And people would have been livid if they didn’t tie up the loose ends.

#819 4 years ago

Without spoiling anything, what are some epic, long running TV shows where people liked the ending? Seems to be easier to think of bad endings than good ones.

#820 4 years ago
Quoted from ryanwanger:

Without spoiling anything, what are some epic, long running TV shows where people liked the ending? Seems to be easier to think of bad endings than good ones.

I think this is the essence of tv. People are interested in character development and longevity...whereas people interested in movies enjoy the storyline and resolution more.

TV shows can end at anytime ir drag on too long, movies have a finite ending before they are ever even filmed.

As such, tv series viewers are rarely happy with the last season/ending.

#821 4 years ago
Quoted from ryanwanger:

Breaking Bad comes to mind. At least I think they tied up the series quite well. I know alot of people didn't like the ending of Dexter, but I thought it wrapped it up quite nicely.

#822 4 years ago

That was the weakest ending to this great series that could possibly happen. WTF!! Bran is the king, cmon man, I don’t give a shit if he’s the three eyed cripple, his character and lame ass acting totally ruined it for me. Fuckin weak! I’m so disappointed in this season and the ending.

#823 4 years ago
Quoted from ryanwanger:

Breaking Bad is one of the best, very few lags in the whole series, even. Supposedly Six Feet Under is great, but I haven't seen that series. M*A*S*H was very good, too. Newhart was great, too.

#824 4 years ago

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/observations/the-real-reason-fans-hate-the-last-season-of-game-of-thrones/

"After the show ran ahead of the novels, however, it was taken over by powerful Hollywood showrunners David Benioff and D. B. Weiss. Some fans and critics have been assuming that the duo changed the narrative to fit Hollywood tropes or to speed things up, but that’s unlikely. In fact, they probably stuck to the narrative points that were given to them, if only in outline form, by the original author. What they did is something different, but in many ways more fundamental: Benioff and Weiss steer the narrative lane away from the sociological and shifted to the psychological. That’s the main, and often only, way Hollywood and most television writers tell stories."

Excellent article on why GOT writing changed as it did.

#825 4 years ago

it certainly has gotten the locals here talking, most unhappy, entire bar we were at last evening was going on & on about it

seems that when most of the characters start behaving out of character people do notice

its not the ending we wanted but its the ending we GoT

#826 4 years ago
Quoted from curiusgeorge:

Breaking Bad comes to mind. At least I think they tied up the series quite well. I know alot of people didn't like the ending of Dexter, but I thought it wrapped it up quite nicely.

Agreed, Breaking Bad was probably the best ending of a great series. The Wire also had an end that was fitting.

Dexter was a huge disappointment for me.

GOT, Sopranos, Breaking Bad, The Wire and Mr. Robot probably the best series ever in order for me ... MASH was great also but I feel like it's a different type of drama/series from these modern epic stories.

#827 4 years ago

You simply cannot please everyone. Remember Sopranos and how they left it to the imagination of the viewer(people were pissed), Seinfeld, Breaking Bad, LOST, etc. the list goes on. I really cannot think of a franchise where everyone was happy with the ending. I get a chuckle out of people arguing about how Big Bang Theory should have ended. Are you kidding me? You could have them all sitting on the couch talking about nothing eating a baloney sandwich-perfect ending for that franchise. In relation to pinball it reminds me of all the people who hated Stern Star Wars pinball upon release. Many thought there were not enough toys, etc. Well over a year and a half later it is still in my top 5 favorite machines-again you can't make everyone happy. Time to lower expectations and appreciate what is good about things instead of always trying to find the faults or negatives.
Lowered Expectations.pngLowered Expectations.png

#828 4 years ago
Quoted from ryanwanger:

The closest to a 'perfect ending', or more realistically the ending with the fewest complaints and plot holes has to be Friends.

Breaking Bad was also an ending I enjoyed.

The Blacklist, which only ended last week, I enjoyed as well - right up to the end which had a major plot flaw, and a very unexpected ending.

Worst ending ever has to be Lost, but it also went downhill after series 2 - they should have just stopped then.

#829 4 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

You simply cannot please everyone.

That only applies when people disagree. It seems like the majority of fans agree that there were issues with the final season and the ending.

#830 4 years ago

Loved GoT. The ending was weak, but I'll probably still re-watch the whole thing.

Breaking Bad is still #1 in my book.

Still haven't seen Sopranos, The Wire, or some of the others mentioned here. I'll have to start one of those next.

#831 4 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

seems like the majority of fans agree that there were issues with the final season and the ending.

Or people just jumping on bandwagons trying to relate. People started bashing the last season before it even started. "The writers are horrible....They had a year and a half.....They needed to rush to move onto Star Wars(that is the best one I heard)

Upon reflecting I think the last season episodes were some of the best and most memorable in the series. I can only think of a couple scenes that were cooler than epic battle, and fight with Mountain and Hound. The scene where Daenerys traded her dragon and then made the command to have the dragon torch it's new owner was one of my favorites(also Mountain crushing Oberyn's skull-notable mention). The last season was a masterpiece-very satisfied.

#832 4 years ago

IMHO there was only one good episode this season, the first one with the build up at Winterfell.

The rest left much to be desired with the show writers throwing away character arcs that had been building for several seasons.

It was beautifully shot and acted, like the perfect "10" you meet who turns out to be shallow as a cookie sheet and vacuous.

#833 4 years ago

I started half effort watching due to various gf’s. Vested slightly but absolutely not passionate. From my almost neutral angle I don’t see how anyone could say the last two seasons were even in the same hemisphere as the first five.

It peaked for me with the battle of the bastards. Ramsey was one of the best characters ever. Powerful acting. You hated him so much that you had to respect him.

So many things would have irritated me if i was a little more invested. The thing I can’t wrap my head around at all is how the Night King literally only killed one person in the battle. The creators don’t understand how much more powerful it would have been if he just stormed thru a bunch of humans like an unstoppable tank? Think about how cool it was that it was the NK himself that threw the dragon killing spear.

What about the Cersei prophecy? Wasn’t a little brother supposed to choke her to death?

#834 4 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

Or people just jumping on bandwagons trying to relate. People started bashing the last season before it even started. "The writers are horrible....They had a year and a half.....They needed to rush to move onto Star Wars(that is the best one I heard)

It’s because it’s true. The writing has gone to crap after season five. Distance becomes almost non existent (like hyper warping Varys)... characters start acting all weird... hugely rushed... Superman euron... rediculous stuff the the Dothraki charge... etc. find someone with a supporting reason why the finale was great.... I’ve yet to see one.

The last two seasons have been production at scale we’ve never seen... and it’s insane... like the battles either the wrights north of the wall... the last two battles.. etc... but the writing and story has gone to shit. And that’s what carried GOT.

When you go back to the start... they didn’t even show the battles!! It’s not epic blockbuster level battle movie making that made GoT... but that’s all the show producers focused on in the last two seasons.

They set an end date... and found themselves cramming to fit everything in by that date. And it shows... poorly.

Hbo wanted more seasons... the writers did not. They picked the duration years ago... they set an end date. This is all established fact.

#835 4 years ago
Quoted from pinlink:

Breaking Bad is still #1 in my book.

I was trying to figure that out for me personally... I still think I give GoT the edge overall but BB did keep getting better and better up to the end. I felt each season was better than the last and the ending for me was very satisfying. Definitely can't say that for GoT. But for me GoT has the best characters in TV history and I think GoT had so many big emotional unpredictable moments. Plus the story lines are so vast and deep. Definitely a show to watch over and over to catch everything or almost everything.

My top 5 of all time... GoT, BB, The Wire, Sopranos and Band of Brothers.

#836 4 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

Upon reflecting I think the last season episodes were some of the best and most memorable in the series. I can only think of a couple scenes that were cooler than epic battle, and fight with Mountain and Hound. The scene where Daenerys traded her dragon and then made the command to have the dragon torch it's new owner was one of my favorites(also Mountain crushing Oberyn's skull-notable mention). The last season was a masterpiece-very satisfied.

How quickly you guys forget things. How about the Battle for the Wall with the giants and busting through the gate, or the Battle of Blackwater Bay with Tyrion leading the charge through the mud gate? Or the Red Wedding? All of these are much more memorable than anything from this past season.

#837 4 years ago

Had winter actually come? Why wasn't it way worse?

People seemed to travel to and from Winterfell pretty easily.

All the people camping out around there for the battle just seemed a little cold. We didn't see anyone perish from hyperthermia or anything like that.

If winter had come, it didn't seem to affect anyone except give them some slight shivers.

#838 4 years ago
Quoted from winteriscoming:

All the people camping out around there for the battle just seemed a little cold. We didn't see anyone perish from hyperthermia or anything like that.
If winter had come, it didn't seem to affect anyone except give them some slight shivers.

If anyone was going to point this out, I’m glad it was you.

#839 4 years ago
Quoted from ATLpb:

If anyone was going to point this out, I’m glad it was you.

Good one

#840 4 years ago

They threw distance away towards the end; perhaps my memory is faulty but did it not take 3 months for the king to go from the capitol to Winterfell in the first episode?

#841 4 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

perhaps my memory is faulty but did it not take 3 months for the king to go from the capitol to Winterfell in the first episode?

It did. I just re-watched it.

#842 4 years ago
Quoted from Daditude:

I think this is the essence of tv. People are interested in character development and longevity...whereas people interested in movies enjoy the storyline and resolution more.
TV shows can end at anytime ir drag on too long, movies have a finite ending before they are ever even filmed.
As such, tv series viewers are rarely happy with the last season/ending.

Well it seems like I'm in the movie watcher category and that's probably why i'm turned off by tv shows that don't have an ending and liked the GoT ending.

Just some background, I bought all off the seasons (1-7) a year ago because I loved the GoT pinball and wanted to know what all the storyline behind it was.
I was lucky enough to not be spoiled by reading anything about it on the internet or talk to others about it until after last sunday's episode, in short I didn't care what others thought about it before I saw the end.

Here's my 2 cents on how I perceived all the seasons. At first I really had to bite through the first 4 seasons, there didn't seem to be a lot of direction in where the story was going. I think It took me 8 months to complete the first 4 seasons because of this. This got better from season 5 (another month and half though) but especially season 6 for me. All of a sudden I wanted to view the next episode and this didn't stop until the last episode and flew through season 6 and 7. I was aiming to get to the end of season 7 by the time season 8 was complete but I was done with season 7 the weekend the first season 8 episode aired, so I had a nice flow al the way through.

So I'm probably in the minority but for me seasons 6 through 8 were the best and for me the ending made sense and I enjoyed it.

#843 4 years ago
Quoted from WJxxxx:

The closest to a 'perfect ending', or more realistically the ending with the fewest complaints and plot holes has to be Friends.
Breaking Bad was also an ending I enjoyed.
The Blacklist, which only ended last week, I enjoyed as well - right up to the end which had a major plot flaw, and a very unexpected ending.
Worst ending ever has to be Lost, but it also went downhill after series 2 - they should have just stopped then.

Blacklist has been renewed for next year. Its one of the only network shows I watch.
Pretty much everything else I watch is cable channels only.

#844 4 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

They threw distance away towards the end; perhaps my memory is faulty but did it not take 3 months for the king to go from the capitol to Winterfell in the first episode?

I thought Robert Baratheon said it took him 1 month to travel to Winterfell. Granted, if it was 1 or 3, there wasn't any snow at Winterfell in the first episode, so travel would be quicker.

#845 4 years ago

When Stanis tried to get to Winterfeld, he lost almost all of his men in the books.

#846 4 years ago

I seem to recall references where its supposed to be like 15ft of snow.. and the way Theon escapes is jumping off the wall into the snow banks.

That's all glossed over in the retreat to winterfell

#847 4 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

I seem to recall references where its supposed to be like 15ft of snow.. and the way Theon escapes is jumping off the wall into the snow banks.
That's all glossed over in the retreat to winterfell

"Winter is coming" was all but dropped from the show the final season.

#848 4 years ago
Quoted from ryanwanger:

For me: Newhart.

#849 4 years ago

I'm not an expert TV watcher, but I think Breaking Bad is the best show of all time. I thought it was pretty much flawless, until the final episode. Big picture, it ended the right way...but the specifics were a little preposterous IMO.

It was just that last episode. It didn't ruin the show or anything. I can't wait to forget most of what happened so I can rewatch the whole series at some point in the future.

#850 4 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

IMHO there was only one good episode this season, the first one with the build up at Winterfell.
The rest left much to be desired with the show writers throwing away character arcs that had been building for several seasons.
It was beautifully shot and acted, like the perfect "10" you meet who turns out to be shallow as a cookie sheet and vacuous.

I agree. I honestly didn't even mind the Night King battle until the very end, where they ended that entire storyline with a 30 second sneak attack. That's where the show took a nose dive for me.

There are 936 posts in this topic. You are on page 17 of 19.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/game-of-thrones-the-show-spoilers-ahead/page/17 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.