D6_j37IUEAY1Pp8 (resized).jpg
got1-with-circle (resized).jpg
20190519_232926 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_2019-05-20-00-12-27~2 (resized).png
Screenshot_2019-05-20-00-09-07 (resized).png
Screenshot_2019-05-20-00-09-27 (resized).png
Screenshot_2019-05-20-00-09-39 (resized).png
got22 (resized).png
There are 936 posts in this topic. You are on page 16 of 19.
#751 4 years ago

The council in the end, when they choose Bran as the new king and mark Jon as a Kingslayer sending him to the wall has to be seen in context with the council that happened years ago. They marked Brynden Rivers as a kingslayer and he had to go to the wall. Like it or not. But the more you will read the more you will understand it.

#752 4 years ago
Quoted from manadams:

He should have been fireproof just like Dany was and the unsullied didn't stick around anyway.

No, he burnt his hand on the lantern when he saved Jeor Mormond and killed the first undead they brought back to castle black from beyond the wall. If you look back through the history of the Targarian's that ability was not something that just commonly ran through the bloodline.

#753 4 years ago

Overall I enjoyed it. It wasn't what I was expecting, but then again this show has always been good at not giving us what we want/expect. I loved Tyrian explaining to Jon that Dany has always been nuts...we just didn't care because before now it was pointed at people we agreed deserved it.

I'm not in love with Bran being king, but it does make some sense. My biggest complaint is that it was way more of a happily ever after ending than I was expecting...which doesn't feel very GoT-ish. It would have felt more natural for Sansa to go all red wedding and have Arya slaughter the entire council when they didn't appoint her, LOL. It just seemed like a lot of everyone riding off into the sunset and the Starks being happily in charge pretty much everywhere. Again...I do not hate it, but wasn't expecting it to end this way.

Overall, possibly the best series ever, and for me this season did not ruin that. Some questionable choices, sure...but still pretty amazing. Glad one of my favorite pins is based on one of my favorite series!

#754 4 years ago

great final season, but the last episode was weak. they should not have taken out the knight king.

#755 4 years ago
Quoted from zaki:

they should not have taken out the knight king.

At the end when they were walking in the woods I wanted to see a couple of blue eyes pop open so much.

#756 4 years ago

Quick question. Why does Bran need a Master of Whisperers?

Also, Dany's big speech was in High Valyarian, which only the Unsullied speak, but amazingly everyone was able to understand her.

#757 4 years ago
Quoted from BillySastard:

Also, Dany's big speech was in High Valyarian, which only the Unsullied speak, but amazingly everyone was able to understand her.

That's because there were subtitles.

#758 4 years ago
Quoted from BillySastard:

Bran is the Internet, a master of whisperers is the google search bar.

#759 4 years ago
Quoted from Luckydogg420:

Tell that to the unsullied whom want to kill Jon.
I’m kinda surprised the dragon didn’t blast him with fire.

That's what I think should have happened. Dragon fire blasts Jon and he's left standing as he's a true Targaryen. The dragon would see this as well and stand by his side against the Unsullied. Jon then takes the throne. I think that would have been a better ending but that's just me.

#760 4 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

That's what I think should have happened. Dragon fire blasts Jon and Jon is left standing as he's a true Targaryen. Dragon would then see this and stand by his side against the Unsullied. Jon then takes the throne. I think that would have been a better ending but that's just me.

But isn't this just another "happy" ending? Everyone already seems upset that most of the characters rode off into the sunset, and curtains.

Was there really a way to end this gracefully? Seems to me it's a case of Martin coming up with a bunch of cool plots and characters, but the story isn't finished and may never be finished. With the finite lifespan of a TV show, D and D did at least a passable job of tying it all together. Was it inspired? No, but it was definitely decent, with a lot of nice touches, and open-ended enough to churn out more when HBO wants, which is the bottom line. At some point in there it became a product instead of art. Re: Stern GOT.

#761 4 years ago

Who wants to take bets that the fat man turns tits up before the last book is written and no one ever gets to see a ending other than what we saw last night?

#762 4 years ago

Asael I don't disagree with anything you're saying, but if you have to constantly go back to the books to understand what happened and why, then the show was poorly written.

This show did need 2-3 more seasons to play all of this out properly. Why do you think the books aren't done yet? GRRM can't figure out how to get everyone to this point succinctly either. He's trying to finish his master work properly, but just like how book 4 had to be split into 2 books, one of these last 2 will probably have to be as well.

#763 4 years ago

The last season was rushed and the writing was horrible... Way too desperate to wrap things up.

I'm with most on this, I'm not sure I care anymore about the prequel and I used to want to go back and watch the entire series over again from the start... now I just don't care to do so because the end was so disappointing.

I'm glad some are happy with all this, I was really hoping this amazing journey would have done the same for me.... My wife and I loved this series so much and it was really something special, it's just too bad they wrapped it up the way they did. And to think we waited 2 full years for this even pisses me off more.

#764 4 years ago

So Jon being a Targaryen didn't really matter at all in the end?

#765 4 years ago

What happened to the Dothracki?

They should have skipped the "find a zombie to bring to Cersi" arc and used the last two seasons to tell the story of Season 8.

But then, Jamie wouldn't have come north to fight.

#766 4 years ago
Quoted from pinlink:

Well, it mattered from the standpoint of Drogon not turning him into BBQ. If he wasn't Targaryen, he would have been gone faster than Thanos can snap his fingers.

That stood out for me too though...he is the rightful heir to the throne, and thanks to Varys, everyone knew it. Not sure why he couldn't have "simply" made the stand that he was taking his rightful place. Dany wasn't really queen, so he didn't really kill the queen. And even if he did...he "is" king...so no harm no foul? Ehh...I don't like politics in the real world either, so I don't really know.

Also...Drogon melting the throne was f'ing awesome.

#767 4 years ago
Quoted from pinlink:

It caused some problems between/for Varys and Tyrion, and ultimately Varys' death. It also contributed to the rift between Jon and Dani. It also put forth the idea that there could be an alternative to Dani as ruler.

I suppose you could say it didn't help Jon in the end since he didn't become King, but it did play a part in helping to bringing an end to Dani.

#768 4 years ago
Quoted from Jediturtle:

Not sure why he couldn't have "simply" made the stand that he was taking his rightful place.

The unsullied (and dothraki?) took issue with the murder of Dani. They were a rather large force, and everybody else didn't want to engage in another war over the matter.

Plus, Jon said multiple times that he didn't want the throne.

#769 4 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Plus, Jon said multiple times that he didn't want the throne.

Yes. All Jon _really_ wanted to do was defeat the Night King; he wound up doing some other things to further that end, but once that was done, all he wanted was to settle down and bump uglies with a pretty girl. Maybe he'll find another one, up North.

#770 4 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

It caused some problems between/for Varys and Tyrion, and ultimately Varys' death. It also contributed to the rift between Jon and Dani. It also put forth the idea that there could be an alternative to Dani as ruler.
I suppose you could say it didn't help Jon in the end since he didn't become King, but it did play a part in helping to bringing an end to Dani.

Right, the sad thing is that fans were so excited about this theory, but it turned out to be a very bad thing. How would this have gone if R+L<>J? Jon wouldn't have turned away from Dany, and she would have been able to try to rule through Love, and not just Fear.

#771 4 years ago

Lol, my buddy just texted me this.

Hey man, I completely understand the ending.

Jon went north,
Arya went west,
Drogon went east,
And the show went south.

#772 4 years ago

I guess they left so many main characters alive for the Game Of Thrones movie.....
...and the Dragon flew away with the Danster!...People HAVE come back to life before.....

#773 4 years ago
Quoted from aobrien5:

and she would have been able to try to rule through Love, and not just Fear.

She was cruel and a bit unhinged throughout her whole campaign towards anyone she saw as evil, an enemy, or anyone who was just simply in her way. Her way or the highway, basically. But as Tyrion said, that was ok because those were mostly "evil men".

So no, I don't think it was possible she could rule by anything other than fear.

A dragon the size of a large building is kind of a big stick and was the main source of her power. Not exactly a cuddly teddy bear.

Essentially it came down to something like: Do what I say or my dragon will roast you.

Which, of course, happened on more than one occasion.

#774 4 years ago

My problem with the end is that the Night King was supposed to be this great threat, and a more important issue than anything else. That all wrapped up too quickly and anything that came after was ultimately not going to matter in the grand scheme.

We saw Arya's face swapping ability once against Waldor Frey? Why wasn't that used again?

Bran as the three-eyed raven seemed to have all kinds of powers they started showing, but basically all that went nowhere, other than perhaps he subtly got the pieces in place. It would have been more interesting to find out that he, perhaps inadvertently, caused the creation of the Night King by interfering in the past.

If there had to be more after the Night King's fall, I almost wish Cersei had prevailed, any other major characters with a claim to the throne failed, and Arya took out Cersei at the end and cut it there. We don't need to know how the government works out.

I don't know. I was ok with the end, I guess, but not really pumped the way I would have like to be. I would rather it had ended with my jaw dropped, instead of me saying, "meh..."

#775 4 years ago

Quoted from BillySastard:Jon went north,
Arya went west,
Drogon went east,
And the show went south.

Thats epic

#776 4 years ago
Quoted from winteriscoming:

My problem with the end is that the Night King was supposed to be this great threat, and a more important issue than anything else. That all wrapped up too quickly and anything that came after was ultimately not going to matter in the grand scheme.
We saw Arya's face swapping ability once against Waldor Frey? Why wasn't that used again?
Bran as the three-eyed raven seemed to have all kinds of powers they started showing, but basically all that went nowhere, other than perhaps he subtly got the pieces in place. It would have been more interesting to find out that he, perhaps inadvertently, caused the creation of the Night King by interfering in the past.
If there had to be more after the Night King's fall, I almost wish Cersei had prevailed, any other major characters with a claim to the throne failed, and Arya took out Cersei at the end and cut it there. We don't need to know how the government works out.
I don't know. I was ok with the end, I guess, but not really pumped the way I would have like to be. I would rather it had ended with my jaw dropped, instead of me saying, "meh..."

Yeah, a lot of plot holes and dead ends. Kind of disappointing considering earlier seasons were constructed so carefully and thoroughly.

#777 4 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Yeah, a lot of plot holes and dead ends. Kind of disappointing considering earlier seasons were constructed so carefully and thoroughly.

New writers....

#778 4 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

New writers....

... or you could blame the old writer. Who set all this in motion, but never had an end in mind..

#779 4 years ago

I think the books will flip the order of the final battles and ultimately the Night King will be the final villain

Bran as the three-eyed raven seemed to have all kinds of powers they started showing, but basically all that went nowhere, other than perhaps he subtly got the pieces in place.

The old three eye raven (aka,Brendan rivers. Aka,bloodraven, aka,Targaryen bastard) would have had the power of foresight too. The pieces were getting put in place way back in the first couple seasons. But the show doesn’t spoon feed you this Information you really need to pay attention to family connections and history. Bran wasn’t bran at the end, he even told us this.

perhaps inadvertently, caused the creation of the Night King by interfering in the past.

I think this will be revealed in a prequel story. I don’t think the average show watcher gets the cyclical timeline. Bran the builder, Bran the broken, both the same?

#780 4 years ago
Quoted from Luckydogg420:

I don’t think the average show watcher gets the cyclical timeline. Bran the builder, Bran the broken, both the same?

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#781 4 years ago

We will see in the prequel the creation of the Night King and the truth about the starks. Perhaps Bran or Bloodraven had something to do with this.
And yes, they always said, that the night king wants to end all life, and that he is bad. But his only goal we can be certain of was to kill Bran. Perhaps he just wanted to protect and save his folk? Perhaps he knew, that Bran will become King. I have no clue about his motives.

#782 4 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

She was cruel and a bit unhinged throughout her whole campaign towards anyone she saw as evil, an enemy, or anyone who was just simply in her way. Her way or the highway, basically. But as Tyrion said, that was ok because those were mostly "evil men".
So no, I don't think it was possible she could rule by anything other than fear.
A dragon the size of a large building is kind of a big stick and was the main source of her power. Not exactly a cuddly teddy bear.
Essentially it came down to something like: Do what I say or my dragon will roast you.
Which, of course, happened on more than one occasion.

Yes, I agree, but she would not necessarily have been so incensed as to burn Kings Landing after they surrendered. That act alone changed everything.

#783 4 years ago

slow, boring, with an improbable very happy ending, only thing thats worse than the munsters code

its like the directors wrote the script after repeatedly watching return of the king

#784 4 years ago
Quoted from creepykenny:

slow, boring, with an improbable very happy ending, only thing thats worse than the munsters code
its like the directors wrote the script after repeatedly watching return of the king

I would not call this a "very happy ending" at all. This would have been the "very happy ending."

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#785 4 years ago

One other thing I thought about from last night, when they found Cersei in the rocks, why didn't they just step to the right like 2 feet? The rocks only fell in that one little spot. Also, I'm not sure how they were laying on top of all the rocks instead of buried underneath at the bottom. If they only would have fallen a different direction only their legs would have been in the rocks.

I think I'm like 'meh' like everyone else. It's probably the same feeling I would have gotten after watching Lord of the Rings movies if Gandalf would have killed Aragon after winning the battle so they banish him, and then they pick Elrond (the elven king dude who never participated in anything) as the new king and sent Frodo to live in Mt Doom permanently for destroying the ring, lol. You could have said the same thing there, Aragon was always blood thirsty after orcs. I dunno, I think it's the fact that there was this giant buildup forever of everything that couldn't possibly live up to expectations, and then they rushed everything so fast that it barely made any sense. In 6 episodes Jon goes from loving her to asking for her help to survive to doing her in.

#786 4 years ago
Quoted from creepykenny:

Return of the King? The ending was nothing like Return of the King. That ending made sense, the rightful heir made it to the throne. In this one the person who was barely in a lot of the seasons and didn't really participate in anything was the big winner.

#787 4 years ago

Overall, I liked GoT. If I had seen season 8 as the first season, I likely would not have finished it or watched the others.
It just didn’t wrap up the characters in an interesting way for me.

Still a really good show.

#788 4 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

The unsullied (and dothraki?) took issue with the murder of Dani. They were a rather large force, and everybody else didn't want to engage in another war over the matter.

But were they a large force? How is that even believable at this point? This is where writing flaws & rushed production is clearly evident.

The Unsullied started out at around 8,000 troops when Dani got them, and the boys in training (which are never shown at any point). Let's be generous & say 12,000 total? They fight many battles, taking casualties along the way. They don't have cocks, they don't reproduce, they are a limited asset.

They take Mereen, they fight off the Sons of the Harpy ambushes & in the fighting pits, survive the Slaver's naval bombardment of Mereen, cross the sea, take Casterly Rock, their fleet gets destroyed by Euron Greyjoy outside the rock. Countless casualties along the way. And most importantly....bear the brunt of the White Walker's attack at Winterfell (outside the city gates) where their army is completely overrun & killed.

Or I guess not apparently. Turns out only "half" remain after the battle of Winterfell. What ever that means. Judging from what most of us saw, this is just laughable.

They later siege King's Landing, kill the Lannister Army & slaughter the innocents, racking up more casualties. After the battle, thousands of them are standing there cheering Dani's great victory. Don't even get me started on all the Dothraki what somehow survived all this too.

It's just lazy writing that observant fans recognize, but are forced to accept, for narrative purposes. They weren't a large force after the last battle. The Northern Army outside the smoldering city gates could have crushed them after Dani was murdered. Instead to avert war, John was sent to the Wall because Grey Worm demanded "justice", then Grey Worm & the Unsullied skip town to Narth! So why go though with John's banishment??? When he did what everyone else who remains in the kingdom wanted?

Dumb Dumb Dumb. Great show. One of the best ever made. Just made poor choices when it mattered most.

#789 4 years ago
Quoted from aobrien5:

This would have been the "very happy ending."[quoted image]

Totally implausible, because Tyrion's Hand badge is on the wrong side.

#790 4 years ago

I think the HBO executives are to blame here. They didn't want to completely kill off their most profitable & popular show ever. So they went to the producers/writers and said please don't kill the golden goose. We want spin-offs. End the show accordingly. This was probably discussed as soon as the books ran out.

So we didn't get a realistic ending where built-up story lines reached a conclusion. We didn't get the fall of Winterfell & the final series-ending epic battle between life & death at King's Landing. The surviving heroes/houses vs the Knight King's undead army. All the stakes tied together, the fate of the entire world in the balance. 95% of characters dying with these epic stakes of life & death. The main Prince Who Was Promised Prophecy resolved. Go out with a mind blowing bang.

Instead we got a shortened rushed season with two flawed battles, questionable character choices, and a rather optimistic ending that fell completely flat, where all your favorite main characters survived & now can possibly return someday so that HBO can make more money. They can do an Age of Valeria prequel, an Arya the Adventurer: West of Westeros series, and most importantly, another series with all your favorite characters about 10 years from now to catch up with them after they have aged a bit. Tyrion practically guaranteed this when John asked him "Did we do the right thing" and he said "Ask me in 10 years". Oh no, The Walkers are back! Our government has failed. Or whatever.

#791 4 years ago

I thought it was a decent end. I love watching everyone poke the holes in the show though, but the one that got me the most was Bran's disability. Really they couldn't come up with a better name for a kid with magic powers than "Bran the Broken"? LOL

Also, we've seen king's landing for 8 seasons, that place is stairs built on stairs.... It's ridiculously hard even in 2019 to navigate in a wheelchair, lol.

#792 4 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

I thought it was a decent end. I love watching everyone poke the holes in the show though, but the one that got me the most was Bran's disability. Really they couldn't come up with a better name for a kid with magic powers than "Bran the Broken"? LOL
Also, we've seen king's landing for 8 seasons, that place is stairs built on stairs.... It's ridiculously hard even in 2019 to navigate in a wheelchair, lol.

Tell Bronn the Master of Coin to start budgeting for some wheelchair ramps!

#793 4 years ago
Quoted from Willy39:

Tell Bronn the Master of Coin to start budgeting for some wheelchair ramps!

Brothels with wheelchair ramps and he would be in!

Although Sansa made sure to tell everyone that Bran's junk doesn't work anymore, LOL.

#794 4 years ago

Here's how it should've ended:

John Snow leaves King Landing at beginning of episode (we don't see him leave).

He is going back to Winterfell, as he gets say a mile away, he runs into the army of the North. They are making their way to Kings Landing do to the letters Varys sent out.

As Dany is making her speech, the army of the North make their way into Kings Landing. As Dany looks below, she sees John Snow leading the men...but behold, John Snow is standing next to her...What??? How could this be??? "John Snow" aka Arya then stabs and kills Dany.

As Dany's army is about to attack, in comes Drogon to protect the other Targeryean aka, John Snow. The foreign army gets roasted.

Fast forward to the meeting, where John Snow denounces being a King. He makes the case for Bran to take over. John stays as his protector.

The mistake the final episode made, were the letters Varys sent out claiming who John Snow really is, had zero impact on the episode.

#795 4 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

That's why Dany burnt it to the ground...so when it's rebuilt, it's all ADA accessible.

#796 4 years ago

Fantastic season, and even greater finale. I can’t see how anyone who’s a fan of the show not like this season. Yes, it felt rushed and should have been drawn out more, but let’s reflect on what we got:

+ Night King storyline: we’ve seen and were introduced to white walkers and the undead since the beginning. We’ve seen suspense as our favorite characters just barely live their encounters. We’ve seen the whitewalkers decimate the free folk; we saw Jon Snow take on a white walker and killing it with Valaryian steel; we learn that taking down a while walker who has raised the dead will eliminate the undead bonded to him - i.e. how do you beat the undead, ‘kill that fucker’ *pointing to the night king*; we’ve seen them surround the bested baddest warriors in the story in which the night king takes down a dragon and summons it as his own; we see them absolutely annihlate the wall and move on to the land of the north; we see Jon snow gather the strongest army in the country to take on the undead in an epic battle in which we see and learn that Jon’s army is no match for the undead and that no one can stop them until an epic assasination by a fan favorite in Arya Stark. That storyline had to end, it was either kill the night king and save the world, or die and everyone in the world dies. They couldn’t draw that storyline out any further.

+ We got to see 3 dragons be raised from eggs, to lil pups, to some huge ass holy shit arm hair raising dragons. We get to see the destruction they were capable as they become full grown. We get this eerie feeling of weakness that Daenerys may be no match for Cersei having Euros and the iron fleet with the scorpion crossbows, but learn that his fleet is only a threat when they have the element of surprise and see how weak they truly are when they are the sitting ducks. We see an absolute onslaught of fiery destruction with Drogon reaping down on a city we, the viewer, once despised, and slowly (yet again via GOT tradition) learn that Daenerys has always been mad with destruction - eye of the beholder. I almost bought into her speech to Jon Snow at the end, believing she knows what’s right for the land, her true colors are shown that Tyrian was right, she was more evil and devastating than his sister.

+ Brans storyline comes full circle; he didn’t want to be king of the north, but he said nothing about being the king of Westeros. And we see that in the end. Sansa becomes queen of the north. Arya goes on another adventure, and Jon is banished to the nights watch where he gets to help the free folk rebuild their lives which is something that has always been true to his heart. Everyone wins. The only threat and unknown is that Drogon lives, and Daenerys.....?

+ All our other favorite characters (Sam, Brienne, Yara, Ser Davos, etc...) all end up in a position of high power.

All in all; they finished the story quickly, we all agree on that, but we got some epic battles and a finale that brought everything full circle.

#797 4 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

+ All our other favorite characters (Sam, Brienne, Yara, Ser Davos, etc...) all end up in a position of high power.

This is actually one of my biggest problems with the ending. I mean, the show has built up over and over that bad things happen to good people. That the characters you are cheering for have a very good chance of ending up full of holes. And then...poof, everything is coming up Milhouse.

#798 4 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Brothels with wheelchair ramps and he would be in!
Although Sansa made sure to tell everyone that Bran's junk doesn't work anymore, LOL.

Sucks to be a little brother.

#799 4 years ago
Quoted from Oaken:

This is actually one of my biggest problems with the ending. I mean, the show has built up over and over that bad things happen to good people. That the characters you are cheering for have a very good chance of ending up full of holes. And then...poof, everything is coming up Milhouse.

Not all of the favorites lived and someone had to be left standing to rebuild from all these wars; otherwise might as well just let the night king win and everyone die

#800 4 years ago
Quoted from Oaken:

I would agree with this. I mean I love these characters but would loved to have seen more unpredictable heart wrenching deaths. When Ned was beheaded it was shocking to me... pissed me off... didn't see it coming... made me sick... AND I ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT!

There are 936 posts in this topic. You are on page 16 of 19.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/game-of-thrones-the-show-spoilers-ahead/page/16?hl=looking4firstpin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.