(Topic ID: 159198)

Game of Thrones Prem/LE Stern Official Orbit Fix is in!

By PinMonk

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by DCFAN
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

The new 1.29 ROM is up. I guess I shouldn't have expected much, but (from the readme)...

"Added Adjustment to disable orbiting from left to right. This will be ON by
default on the LE/PREMIUM. All left orbit balls will go to the pop
bumpers by design."

So they now have just permanently disabled the left orbit "by design". Anyone who has seen the slo-mo ball video here:

...knows it's a victim of BAD design that the left orbits don't work, and they're just walking away with a software fix to just disable the left orbit completion requirement from modes. I thought that was temporary, but looks like they're calling the bad ball travel a "feature" and walking away.

#2 7 years ago

Wow thats crappie and really messes up the flow .

#3 7 years ago

Pathetic

#4 7 years ago

All it means is now that Stern has washed their hands of the problem in the crappiest, most flow-killing way possible, people need to take off the bracket with the diverter and elongate out the ends of the screw holes in the bracket to make them more oval so the bracket can be moved toward the front of the playfield a smidge, sliding the diverter arm about 1/4" forward so it guides the ball like it clearly should have from the factory, enabling the ball to make the left orbit completely every time, as it was very clearly intended to.

#5 7 years ago

Im not gonna make excuses for stern, but if you guys do really care about your GOTLE's having a left orbit, you'd follow this guys instructions. Just filter out all his posts in this thread and read from the most recent and work your way backwards. Pinside kicks ass for a reason.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/game-of-thrones-le-311-left-orbit-fix/page/9#post-3134107

#6 7 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Im not gonna make excuses for stern, but if you guys do really care about your GOTLE's having a left orbit, you'd follow this guys instructions. Just filter out all his posts in this thread and read from the most recent and work your way backwards. Pinside kicks ass for a reason.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/game-of-thrones-le-311-left-orbit-fix/page/9#post-3134107

I think most people with the ability will be doing this now. Everyone was just waiting for Stern because they supposedly had a factory fix in the works. Unfortunately no one knew that "fix" was just to disable the left orbit completions. Now that that's clear, people will be modifying the hardware to make it work like it was designed to.

#7 7 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

All it means is now that Stern has washed their hands of the problem in the crappiest, most flow-killing way possible, people need to take off the bracket with the diverter and elongate out the ends of the screw holes in the bracket to make them more oval so the bracket can be moved toward the front of the playfield a smidge, sliding the diverter arm about 1/4" forward so it guides the ball like it clearly should have from the factory, enabling the ball to make the left orbit completely every time, as it was very clearly intended to.

Take the time to do this and you will be happy

#8 7 years ago

Just played a pro today and hate to say this but I actually think the pro plays way better then the le; ohh and the left orbit screams on the pro too. Just add this to the list of les that have had something wrong with them.

#9 7 years ago

Got LE was my first NIB pin. Guess the 'buyer beware' applies to NIB machines too. Maybe I'm wrong about this but wasn't there a comment (I think at open house or Expo?) during a video about how the game was played for hours and hours by someone? I think it was said in front of the GOT machine. How was this not caught and fixed at factory. Especially if your on the design or quality control team? This is really a statement being made by just washing their hands of this. Very disappointed.

#10 7 years ago

I installed v1.29 on my GoT Premium just now to play around.

Here are my findings:

1. Left Orbit is disabled - by default, as expected
2. Default: Service > Adj > GoT > #6 - Disable Left Orbit = YES
3. With glass off, tossing ball by hand - in Martell mode - LEFT Orbit balls do go directly to the pop bumpers.
4. Interestingly enough, a few LEFT Orbit balls did get past the gate and reached the right flipper (~10%-20%).
5. With "Disable Left Orbit = NO", the LEFT Orbits behave same as in v1.26

Average Martell Score Test:

I compared Martell (only) scoring in both v1.26 & v1.29, with glass off:

Setup:

1. Spinner propped out of the way for convenience
2. Started a fresh 4 player game, each player selects Martell
3. Hit "Choose Your Battle" immediately, then select Martell
4. Hit 3 consecutive LEFT Orbits
5. Hit Center Ramp to complete the mode
6. Drain the ball

Results:

1. v1.26: 172M
2. v1.29: 187M - (Left Orbits Disabled)
3. v1.29: 172M - (Left Orbits Enabled)

I guess it makes sense that disabling the LEFT Orbit would increase the scoring as the POPS will provide additional scoring opportunities. I am happy to see scoring remains the same with left orbits enabled in v1.29 compared to v1.26.

Observations:

1. In both versions, the left orbit appears to be intentionally disabled for the 3rd Martell LEFT Orbit (i.e., gate closed)
2. I know for certain I have hit LEFT-LEFT-LEFT-CENTER to beat Martell in four quick shots, but I could only reproduce the 3rd LEFT Orbit few times manually just now
3. There may be some margin in my machine that permit a a nice solid shot to pass thru a closed gate! Guessing this is not "by design",

I'm gonna keep v1.29 installed, LEFT Orbits enabled!

#11 7 years ago
Quoted from musketd:

Just played a pro today and hate to say this but I actually think the pro plays way better then the le; ohh and the left orbit screams on the pro too. Just add this to the list of les that have had something wrong with them.

It is not hard to make a free flowing game if there is hardly anything on it except ramps and orbits.

#12 7 years ago

Yawn.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/got-premiumle-is-the-kings-best

Quoted from musketd:

it is indeed Steves best layout ever and is just kick ass

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Alpine, CALIFORNIA
Machine - For Sale
Rockland, ON
$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Boise, ID
$ 19.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 60.00
Tools
Performance Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 39.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 76.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/game-of-thrones-stern-orbit-fix-is-in and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.